1000 Watt Water Cooled Grow

hmm, i think if your getting bleaching raise the light. I wouldn't mess with shade. there is only so much light they can use, bleaching is well past that. besides, it will give better coverage to the edge.

i think they look good, maybe a pic w/o the HPS on will give better indication of color, etc.

hmm, i think if your getting bleaching raise the light. I wouldn't mess with shade. there is only so much light they can use, bleaching is well past that. besides, it will give better coverage to the edge.

i think they look good, maybe a pic w/o the HPS on will give better indication of color, etc.

I moved the light to 16in today after I woke up and checked on them and saw the burn. Here is a pic I just took...lights went out 10min ago. I may just end up lsting it some more if I keep having problems -- the other plants were fine with the light at 10 in...the only thing is, is the damn thing is so big I don't have much room to lst. It's close to 3 feet wide as it is...

100_04122.JPG

looking good, jumping on for the ride...few weeks away from finishing up some l s d and violator.....gluck man!

Cool man, I'd like to see your L*D pics. Feel free to post em. Did yours have any light sensitivity?

are you sure that's heat stress? i'm not. . . it's definitely not bleaching.

the leaves above don't show the same stress, and they're closer to the light. in my experience bleaching is pure proximity to the light, so it bleaches the closest leaves and buds first and foremost.

I'm not saying it isn't heat stress, it could be, just not sure.
either way, it doesn't look bad.
you raised the light, see if that alone fixes the problem.

*i think i commented on this chart earlier (maybe another thread) that it can only be a rough guide. there are so many other things to take into account in the plant's metabolic rate that these numbers don't really apply to anyone's setup in specific, just a good place to start. . . if you are personally having problems, you have to modify the parameters. like nutes for instance, many if not most people do not run full strength. its usually too strong. i would say the same may apply to this chart.

good luck bro.

I don't have any previous experience with light bleaching, but the reason I say that it is is that the spots are completely white. The upper leaf set has some it is just not as pronounced (this is new leaf material). I am hoping that the plant will become adjusted to the light soon.....

I just did a little reading on it and it seems that the plant could have used some hardening off. After all the eye is 140k lumen and the MH was 110k. Does this seem right, or do you still think it isn't light bleaching?

the pics you showed don't look like light bleaching to me.

hardening off is a term used when introducing seedlings or clones to a big light source for the first time. . . you wouldn't need to harden them off going from a 1k mh to a 1k hps. sometimes tiny little plants can't handle all those lumens, but you plants are already well past their nubile stage.

so, yeah i still think it's something else.

its a good instinct to want to be on top of problems early, and yes you should try to fix problems. . . but the biggest mistake most people make is to create new problems trying to solve old problems, or over compensating for a problem.

so lets take it slow, watch it develop, and try to fix problems when you can.
here are the best problem solvers on this site: (you prob have already seen these, but in case they help)

Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial

Plant Abuse Chart

Nutrient Disorder Problem Solver

maybe some others could chime in too on what it might look like? I can't say for sure from just the pics. . but imo, the pics aren't bleaching.

looking at the pics again, it could be:

1)nutrient burn. - whats your feeding schedule?
2)heat stress. (not bleaching) - it does look like it could be, but we already backed up the light, lets see if it makes a difference in a few days.
3)PH fluctations. - doubtful in soil. do you know what your runoff is?
4)magnesium or potassium deficiency. - probably not.
5)underwatering. - how often are you watering, now that they are getting bigger maybe they're thirstier.

what do you think? right now, i think you did the right thing by backing up the light and I would just sit tight and see what happens. . . do you have a thermometer near the top of the canopy? whats the tent max temp again?

looking at the pics again, it could be:

1)nutrient burn. - whats your feeding schedule?
2)heat stress. (not bleaching) - it does look like it could be, but we already backed up the light, lets see if it makes a difference in a few days.
3)PH fluctations. - doubtful in soil. do you know what your runoff is?
4)magnesium or potassium deficiency. - probably not.
5)underwatering. - how often are you watering, now that they are getting bigger maybe they're thirstier.

what do you think? right now, i think you did the right thing by backing up the light and I would just sit tight and see what happens. . . do you have a thermometer near the top of the canopy? whats the tent max temp again?

1) I don't think it is nutrient burn. ALthough the plants are on full streangth nutes, they have been for quite some time and this problem is recent.
2)I doubt it is heat stress, but it could be. When I put the HPS in, the canopy temp was raised about 10 degrees. When I backed the lights back it dropped down about 5 to 80f.
3) I had some problems last week with my pH being low. I was feeding with 7pH and the run off was at 6.3. This past feeding I did not check the runoff. Also when looking at the plant abuse chart, the pictures detailing pH fluctuations closely resemble what I am seeing.
4) I am feeding with plenty of cal-mag plus
5)The plants have plenty of water. There is no drooping what so ever.

Many of the pictures I saw online indicating light burn resembled what I am seeing -- also, I rotated the plant to remove the leaves that 1st showed signed away from the light and the problem stopped with the spots beginning to brown. Leaves that are furthest away from the light are not affected. However, the pH pictures in the abuse chart also resemble what I am seeing. Based on this, and the fact that I was having pH problems earlier, I suspect the pH may be off. Tomorrow, I will check the pH and go from there.

well, thats good news. the pH range sounds good to me, i wouldn't worry if you put in 7 and get out 6.something. that should be just right anyways.

if it is light burn, thats great anyways because its the easiest fix, raise the light a bit and your all good.

ohh almost forgot...with the time change I am wanting to set my lights so they still turn on at 8 am. Would it be a problem if I set the timer an hour forward?

Yeah I figured it out. Something is really wrong with my pH. I just ran 5 gallons of pH 6.9 through and the runoff is coming out at 6.1. About to run 5 more gallons through. What could be causing my pH to F-up so much???

edit: 15 gallons later pH is at 6.6. I am going to feed the plants and with the L*D I am going to add some dolomite lime to the top of the soil...sound good?

edit: I didn't add the dolomite lime...pH after feeding 6.75. Phew....that was an ordeal!

I moved the light to 16in today after I woke up and checked on them and saw the burn. Here is a pic I just took...lights went out 10min ago. I may just end up lsting it some more if I keep having problems -- the other plants were fine with the light at 10 in...the only thing is, is the damn thing is so big I don't have much room to lst. It's close to 3 feet wide as it is...

100_04122.JPG

Cool man, I'd like to see your L*D pics. Feel free to post em. Did yours have any light sensitivity?

no light sensitivity, about 7" from the 600...heres a couple...probably 10-12 more days then flush...

IMG00133-20100316-1737.jpg

IMG00120-20100315-0743.jpg

IMG00110-20100312-0911.jpg

looks like a little calmag defeciency to me. Seems to happen were the light is the most intense. you're in soil so your water ph isn't as critical as soiless. You might try 1/4 - 1/2 strength cal mag for a few feedings. I almost always have this problem to some degree when I have foliage in the hot spot of the fresca.

I believe it has to do with the transpiration rate and the plants inability to carry calcium fast enough to the top that is in the hotspot.

I have been thinking about trying one of those super spreaders inside of my frescas.

I have actually been using full strength cal-mag throughout the grow. Since I went to flower I have put a lil extra in.

More good news.... :(

So It looks like the milky way is a male :(. This is real disappointing because I was hoping for it to be my go-to daily smoke. I did crack another seed and potted it today, so it will be 12/12 from seed...not sure how much smoke I will get, but should be enough to get a decent idea of the type of smoke it is. The seeds I ordered were supposed to be feminized so I emailed the company and asked if they could send out some new ones. Will let you all know what happens with that... Also, I will post some pics of the plant before I chop it.

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom