1000 Watt Water Cooled Grow

Butcher,
You said the trick to FFOF is to feed with the right RO'd water for the first two weeks. What would this be? Does it effect the grow later on down the line?
Also, do you add anything to Sunshine Mix #4?

haha, I have another question, maybe not the most popular, but I have to ask. I flipped the lights on the 10th. Given my pH problems, how long have I been in "flower"? The reason I ask it I am supposed to add beastie bloomz starting the 2nd week.

heres the info for sunshine wix #4:

Sunshine Mix #4

Setting the standard in professional growing! Sunshine Mix 4 is recommended where high air capacity and fast drainage are needed: during winter months, with highly water or salt sensitive crops, or where frequent leaching is required. Excellent for nursery stock, perennials, cutting propagation, hanging baskets and interiorscape.

Contains Dolomitic limestone to adjust media pH to 5.0-7.0 and to provide calcium and magnesium. Gypsum is added as a source of sulfur and calcium. In addition, this popular growing mix has a highly soluble nutrient charge equivalent to about one liquid feeding with a complete fertilizer, plus trace elements at a normal rate.

Ingredients: Canadian sphagnum peat moss, coarse grade perlite, gypsum, dolomitic lime and Sun Gro's long-lasting wetting agent.

durring veg I add Seabird Guano due to the high nitro content in it. About 2 weeks prior to the flowering stage, I feed water. That way it helps to flush andy excess Nitrogen. Then I add Indonesian bat guano along w/ a healthy shot of Organic potash. Or if you want to just feed once every 3-4 weeks I suggest using A.N's heavy harvest. they have it marked for each season. And it works wonders. So it all depends on how you want to go: all organic or not. Heavy harvest is a great way to go, due to only feeding it once or twice durring veg and flower. Sup to you.

So I got some pretty decent pistil development since yesterday. Looks like things are starting to turn around. Also the SLH is about 6 inches higher than the rest of the canopy. I tried to bend the top over but did not squeeze it enough and half of it snapped. It is still attacked so I righted it and secured it up with some tape. Can I go ahead and leave it bent over with half the stem broken or should I leave it how it is? :peace:

:thanks:

for the broken stem you could go either way. i personally sould stake it stright up. but thats me. :goodluck:

durring veg I add Seabird Guano due to the high nitro content in it. About 2 weeks prior to the flowering stage, I feed water. That way it helps to flush andy excess Nitrogen. Then I add Indonesian bat guano along w/ a healthy shot of Organic potash. Or if you want to just feed once every 3-4 weeks I suggest using A.N's heavy harvest. they have it marked for each season. And it works wonders. So it all depends on how you want to go: all organic or not. Heavy harvest is a great way to go, due to only feeding it once or twice durring veg and flower. Sup to you.

Yeah I want to go all organic. The Humboldt line is looks pretty good atm. So in addition to the Humboldt organics add seabird guano and then bat guano in veg - do I distill this or just top feed? Do you put any perlite or dolomite in the sunshine mix?

for the broken stem you could go either way. i personally sould stake it stright up. but thats me. :goodluck:

Yeah I think I am going to leave it staked. It just bugging me since It like 2-3 inches from the 1000w and looks like it may be slowing...I don't have anything to raise up the other plants if I choose to raise the light.....

the seabird is for the veg and the bat is for the flowering. If your strain is nute sensitive I would go w/ the humblot mix to be honest if you are already using their full line you really dont need to add much to your soil, due to feeding them it already via watering. The additives I spoke of to be put in the soil, should be used if your not planning on using any nutrients. Oh and yeah perlite for sure should be added to the mix.. But its got alot of draining qualites in it already so you dont want to add a lot. I would go maybe 30% when you do add it in.

the seabird is for the veg and the bat is for the flowering. If your strain is nute sensitive I would go w/ the humblot mix to be honest if you are already using their full line you really dont need to add much to your soil, due to feeding them it already via watering. The additives I spoke of to be put in the soil, should be used if your not planning on using any nutrients. Oh and yeah perlite for sure should be added to the mix.. But its got alot of draining qualites in it already so you dont want to add a lot. I would go maybe 30% when you do add it in.

Sounds good man. The Humbolt looks really good. About 3x as expensive as the complete FF line, but I wont have to worry about nute burn and it is pH stabilizing. Worth the investment IMO until I can really start getting my feet wet with organics.

I emailed Humboldt and Roy, the owner, emailed me back and said that a soil medium is best with their organic line - he recommended ocean forest. Looks like I'll just stick with that. I was looking forward to the simplicity of a soil-less mix but with an organic feeding schedule I shouldn't have to worry about much.

- I love that I got an email from the owner himself. Once I get the line should be a great company to work with.

I was looking for a 100w 6000k MH for a mother box and stubled across this What's the deal? BTW anyone know where I can find a 6000k 100w MH?

I was looking for a 100w 6000k MH for a mother box and stubled across this What's the deal? BTW anyone know where I can find a 6000k 100w MH?

too many watts, 6 1000w'ers would be cheaper, give better distribution, and probably run cooler. . . also 500 hour bulb lifetime just plain sucks.

this bulb is for making movies at night, and making it look like day. lol. worthless for our purposes IMO.

That's what's known in the industry as a 6K. I have used 12, 18 and 24K lights. A 12K with a blue gel will give you moonlight over an entire front yard. A few 18Ks turn night into day. But they are also the size of a washing machine and weigh as much.

:peace:

too many watts, 6 1000w'ers would be cheaper, give better distribution, and probably run cooler. . . also 500 hour bulb lifetime just plain sucks.

this bulb is for making movies at night, and making it look like day. lol. worthless for our purposes IMO.

That's what's known in the industry as a 6K. I have used 12, 18 and 24K lights. A 12K with a blue gel will give you moonlight over an entire front yard. A few 18Ks turn night into day. But they are also the size of a washing machine and weigh as much.

I am pretty sure he is looking for a 100 watt metal halide in 65k spectrum, not a 6500 watt MH.

Yeah I wasn't wanting to use them just thought it was pretty interesting. Didn't know they came that big. How big is one of those 6000k watters?

I am pretty sure he is looking for a 100 watt metal halide in 65k spectrum, not a 6500 watt MH.

Yup

Ok so I have a question for anyone watching this grow. I would like to figure out what caused my pH to mes up so quickly. I followed all the basic instructions to a capital T. I did not want to risk anything. No over feeding, no over watering, etc. By the numbers it should have been a perfect grow (aside from some strain variations). Then all of a sudden a week into 12/12 things went to shit. WHY? The only thing I can think of is maybe there was took much bacteria in the soil lowering the pH or perhaps it was something to do with the Rhizotonic. The problems started about when I started with the Rhizotonic. Maybe my soil was compacted. I think I am still having some slight pH problems but am not sure... Ya know, there should be a smiley icon that's blowing out its brains...ha...moderators can we get one??? haha

Edit: what about moldy FFOF? There was a bit of mold in the new bag I opened when I repotted into 5 gallons

As was said - those aren't for growing - they're for movies. And they are huge. It takes two very large guys to put an 18k on a stand. And 240v power and Bandit wire. The wire alone weighs more than your entire setup I bet. They are transported in 18 wheelers. Require crews of people to setup, take down and move. And you can see how expensive a bulb is. Now you know why movies cost so much. But I have never not been impressed when I see one turned on. There really is something about when they say we're breaking out the 18Ks or 22s that everyone knows its gonna be big.

I knew you were looking for a 6500K I just didn't have an answer. I used 125w and 250w cfls in 2500 and 6000 I think but can't remember the temps exactly or the manufacturer.

As was said - those aren't for growing - they're for movies. And they are huge. It takes two very large guys to put an 18k on a stand. And 240v power and Bandit wire. The wire alone weighs more than your entire setup I bet. They are transported in 18 wheelers. Require crews of people to setup, take down and move. And you can see how expensive a bulb is. Now you know why movies cost so much. But I have never not been impressed when I see one turned on. There really is something about when they say we're breaking out the 18Ks or 22s that everyone knows its gonna be big.

I knew you were looking for a 6500K I just didn't have an answer. I used 125w and 250w cfls in 2500 and 6000 I think but can't remember the temps exactly or the manufacturer.

Do you work in movies/television?

yeah, i knew he wasn't gonna buy a $3,500 bulb, i was just saying, even if money was no object, it wouldn't be as good as an equivalent wattage of grow lights.

Ok so I have a question for anyone watching this grow. I would like to figure out what caused my pH to mes up so quickly. I followed all the basic instructions to a capital T. I did not want to risk anything. No over feeding, no over watering, etc. By the numbers it should have been a perfect grow (aside from some strain variations). Then all of a sudden a week into 12/12 things went to shit. WHY? The only thing I can think of is maybe there was took much bacteria in the soil lowering the pH or perhaps it was something to do with the Rhizotonic. The problems started about when I started with the Rhizotonic. Maybe my soil was compacted. I think I am still having some slight pH problems but am not sure... Ya know, there should be a smiley icon that's blowing out its brains...ha...moderators can we get one??? haha

Edit: what about moldy FFOF? There was a bit of mold in the new bag I opened when I repotted into 5 gallons

Compacted soil will NOT allow for propper drainage. Hence the ph problems. Some of my ladies I just harvested had that EXACT problem. After the cut I took the soil in the pot out and examined it after putting water in the pot then letting it drain. Water wasn't even penetrating the center at all!! It ran down a couple channels and along the sides. So I opened the soil block and wouldn't you know it, salt build up. Sounds familiar? I was taught better then that too. My mentor what have LITERALLY smacked me across the head if he saw it. I mean I had a BAD salt build up. My ph was all over the place. And the signs it was giving was showwing a lack of nitro, along w/ a bunch of other nute issues due to me not turning over my soil on a regular basis.

Thats one thing that I feel I havent expressed enough to all the soil growers here.
PLEASE ROTATE YOUR SOIL AND BE SURE TO FLUSH

Well I hope my bad experience helps you out. :goodluck:

and the mold in the FF..WOuld honestly scare me.. But dunno to be honest on that one. Cause it does carry some benificials' in it. However if its all over the place I'd either toss it or returns it.

Compacted soil will NOT allow for proper drainage. Hence the ph problems. Some of my ladies I just harvested had that EXACT problem. After the cut I took the soil in the pot out and examined it after putting water in the pot then letting it drain. Water wasn't even penetrating the center at all!! It ran down a couple channels and along the sides. So I opened the soil block and wouldn't you know it, salt build up. Sounds familiar? I was taught better then that too. My mentor what have LITERALLY smacked me across the head if he saw it. I mean I had a BAD salt build up. My ph was all over the place. And the signs it was giving was showwing a lack of nitro, along w/ a bunch of other nute issues due to me not turning over my soil on a regular basis.

Thats one thing that I feel I havent expressed enough to all the soil growers here.
PLEASE ROTATE YOUR SOIL AND BE SURE TO FLUSH

Well I hope my bad experience helps you out. :goodluck:

and the mold in the FF..WOuld honestly scare me.. But dunno to be honest on that one. Cause it does carry some benificials' in it. However if its all over the place I'd either toss it or returns it.

The Mold wasn't that bad, just on the bottom of the bag where it was sitting for a month and a half. Is there any way to correct the compacted soil? My Mako haze has some P diff. damage because of it. What if I were to un pot, trim the root ball and then repot? Can/should I do this? I have been thinking about it for over a week and wasn't sure if i should...
They aren't that far along in flower; nothing that would be very noticeable if I were to take a pic w/ my cheap - non macro camera. Pistil development has taken off in the past 2 days though.

MODS-I really think there should be a blow your brains out emoticon...would really help me express myself, haha. Seriously. I don;t think this is worthy of a website suggestion but it would be "cool".

i want a emoticon with a chainsaw for harvest time lol

it looks like what ever you do to correct your problem will lead to transplant shock/stunted growth, im sure someone will have a good idea, the only thing i can think of is re-potting using warm soil and some superthrive to limit the shock.

I think of it this way. If I question weather or not to transplant..I DO IT.It snot going to hurt it. Until recently I NEVER trimmed my roots, however, I've done it lately. Havent had any shock. Then again I'm not trimming alot. I trim not to clean the roots up, I trim in soil to break up the roots and get them going in the right direction. you may get some shock. To say that you couldnt would be a lie. Prior to transplant break up the roots.

i want a emoticon with a chainsaw for harvest time lol

it looks like what ever you do to correct your problem will lead to transplant shock/stunted growth, im sure someone will have a good idea, the only thing i can think of is re-potting using warm soil and some superthrive to limit the shock.

I think of it this way. If I question weather or not to transplant..I DO IT.It snot going to hurt it. Until recently I NEVER trimmed my roots, however, I've done it lately. Havent had any shock. Then again I'm not trimming alot. I trim not to clean the roots up, I trim in soil to break up the roots and get them going in the right direction. you may get some shock. To say that you couldnt would be a lie. Prior to transplant break up the roots.

I just got finished re-potting. I reduced it down to about a gallon or so of root mass and then placed it in a 5 gallon with new soil. Watered and sent it on its way. Hopefully all is well. My SLH and the Mako Haze are looking good.

Back
Top Bottom