1st Grow - Ebb-N-Grow : Afghan Kush, White Widow, Bag Seed!

Ok, so can I do a little "rant" here?

I'm seeing more and more posts that say, take it easy with the nutes. Some don't go above 800 or 900 for the entire grow. And I might agree with this towards the end of the grow cycle, but during the beginning when vegging and flowering?

I know I'm still fairly new at this whole thing, and I've never experimented with being light on the nutes, but I've been thinking of this from what I perceive as practical theory.

When a human, animals, and plants are young and developing don't they need as much food as possible?

I'm imagining a child that is only given 1/2 his amount of recommended daily allowance, this can cause all kinds of problems later in life. Not having the proper amount of nutrients are not allowing the plants to reach their maximum potential, would you agree?

Yes, it's probably okay to do fewer reservoir changes, trying to save a few bucks. But not allowing the plants to feed as much as possible I think is doing a disservice.

I'd like to hear other opinions on this and what you guys think?

Thanks, SF Out!
SF

Who eats more, grownups or kids?

I'm seeing more and more posts that say, take it easy with the nutes. Some don't go above 800 or 900 for the entire grow. And I might agree with this towards the end of the grow cycle, but during the beginning when vegging and flowering?

I know I'm still fairly new at this whole thing, and I've never experimented with being light on the nutes, but I've been thinking of this from what I perceive as practical theory.

When a human, animals, and plants are young and developing don't they need as much food as possible?

I'm imagining a child that is only given 1/2 his amount of recommended daily allowance, this can cause all kinds of problems later in life. Not having the proper amount of nutrients are not allowing the plants to reach their maximum potential, would you agree?

Yes, it's probably okay to do fewer reservoir changes, trying to save a few bucks. But not allowing the plants to feed as much as possible I think is doing a disservice.

Thanks, SF Out!
SF

It's interesting you bring that up. I must be reading the same things you are. My take on it is this, a child needs more nutrition than an adult so you wouldn't give them the same amount of food. If you underfeed them they are malnourished, over feed them and they get fat and unhealthy - ever see a fat child. So I think different plant strains need different amounts of food too. But in addition to that are the light, water, PH, humidity, and temperature variables, which I think can affect how much the plants can eat, they definitely affect it's health. So the plant is only going to grow as well as it's weakest link. That said, when it comes to feeding, I think you should start low and add more in during the week as they accept it. Let the plant tell you if it's not enough or too much, because under my conditions I may need to feed the same strain more than you do in your conditions. If there were one "right" way to grow, everyone would be growing the same with the same results, and we both know that is not the case. (I do sometimes wonder if the nute companies go a little high on the recommendations to increase profitability) :smokin:

Thanks, SF Out!
SF

What the hell Stink, you stirring shit up with a rant again?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Information, misinformation people have to decide. Wouldn't surprise me that they are secret :)smokin::smokin::smokin:) agents just trying to mess with people. Hows that for a conspiracy theory.

It's interesting you bring that up. I must be reading the same things you are. My take on it is this, a child needs more nutrition than an adult so you wouldn't give them the same amount of food. If you underfeed them they are malnourished, over feed them and they get fat and unhealthy - ever see a fat child. So I think different plant strains need different amounts of food too. But in addition to that are the light, water, PH, humidity, and temperature variables, which I think can affect how much the plants can eat, they definitely affect it's health. So the plant is only going to grow as well as it's weakest link. That said, when it comes to feeding, I think you should start low and add more in during the week as they accept it. Let the plant tell you if it's not enough or too much, because under my conditions I may need to feed the same strain more than you do in your conditions. If there were one "right" way to grow, everyone would be growing the same with the same results, and we both know that is not the case. (I do sometimes wonder if the nute companies go a little high on the recommendations to increase profitability) :smokin:

Great Points Agent Green!

Who eats more, grownups or kids?

Yeah B. When I said "food" I really meant nutrients, or nutritional value. Kids I believe require the full amount of recommended daily allowance, very important in development as opposed to an adult who has already reached maturity. Obviously deficiencies can happen at any time during a life-cycle, but is growth inhibited or stunted when deprivation happens at a younger age. Hummmm.

I think I'll just go back to watching Stephen Hawking and thinking if Aliens will be friend or foe in the future.

Love your contribution guys!
SF

Yes You should feed them as much as they will accept (tips get cripsy or any sign of nute burn, then back off a hair)

Most recommendations I make will be a safe PPM number for all most any plant at that given size based on my experiences then I will say go up 200ppm or so at a time (dont want people going out and cooking a crop due to over zealous advice) but yes "LISTEN" to the plant. Once people get experience under their belt they will tell if the plant is under or over fed and will adjust accordingly.

Great Points Agent Green!

Agent Green :yahoo:

I think I'll just go back to watching Stephen Hawking and thinking if Aliens will be friend or foe in the future.

I think I just came through a Black Hole. ;)

Stand back. I'm gonna start talking up using Hydrogen Peroxide as a good "agent" for hydro systems soon!SF

:rofl:

Yes You should feed them as much as they will accept (tips get cripsy or any sign of nute burn, then back off a hair)

Most recommendations I make will be a safe PPM number for all most any plant at that given size based on my experiences then I will say go up 200ppm or so at a time (dont want people going out and cooking a crop due to over zealous advice) but yes "LISTEN" to the plant. Once people get experience under their belt they will tell if the plant is under or over fed and will adjust accordingly.

I like that. :peace:

Just catching up on your journal! Lookin very successful buddy! Those buds are looking just about right. Quick question: how high above the plants do you keep your light?

NG1.

Thanks pal for keeping along. I know it's hard with a personal life. I don't have one, so I spend an inordinate amount of time here. :rofl: Actually it's a little stress release for my day.

Actually, I just use one of those common sense testing measures. The top of my hand as a guide. If it's too hot for my hand, then it's too hot for the top of the plants. Go ahead and lower the light, test with your hand, keep it there for perhaps 30sec, 1 min. Then perhaps the next day, I'll check to make sure there is no burning/wilting or anything negative going on. Obviously during this time, you'll need to check your light frequently to make sure you raise it.

Other than that, I don't know if there is anything scientific for you to determine the height needed for each individual strain.

Hope this helps man!
SF

Sample Bud Alert

So here's a piece I snipped from the Afghan Kush when I removed the female from the others a couple of weeks ago. It was flushed, and sent to the drying box for 1 week. Then it's been in the jar curing with a daily burp (excuse me) for the last 6 days. I haven't smoked any yet. I'm still trying to do a little period of drying out (myself) so I can do an accurate assessment, perhaps tomorrow. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Click Pic for Large View
MJ_1346_1.jpg

Tomorrow is 6 weeks on the LowRyder, so I'll have some pics soon. Doing pretty good with lots of bud sites. I'm impressed so far by the performance of these two gals. Should be interesting.

Have a great day!
SF

Looks yummy. How tall are those lowryders now?

Agent.

I'm betting they gained about 3" over the week. Again, I'll take another measurement tomorrow with pics. What I'm really digging is that they look like two little "shrubs" you would see outdoors. Small and compact. There are massive amounts of bud sites and if it fills in like it should, it should look pretty impressive when harvested. Compact and Stubby. I'm under the 400w light now, I could finish this up under the 1,000 watt if I moved the system. I know you are using the 400 right? So I'll probably just ride it out for you man, so you can see the results with similar variables.

Check back on Friday morning, I'll try to have it all up and ready.

Thanks 007, have a great day!
SF

Sample Bud Alert

So here's a piece I snipped from the Afghan Kush when I removed the female from the others a couple of weeks ago. It was flushed, and sent to the drying box for 1 week. Then it's been in the jar curing with a daily burp (excuse me) for the last 6 days. I haven't smoked any yet. I'm still trying to do a little period of drying out (myself) so I can do an accurate assessment, perhaps tomorrow. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Click Pic for Large View
MJ_1346_1.jpg

SF

Well while you are waiting, I'll take 2 please...
:yummy::roorrip::bigtoke:

Those Buds look so good Stink! You have the patients of a saint!
I would have flamed some of it by now! First grow HuH? Hard to believe.:thumb:

Thanks OMM!

Not so hard to wait when you have stash on hand. My first bag seed grow when "everything" was depending on the outcome, now that was a different story! A buddy is stopping by tomorrow, he'll be stone sober, so I'll use him as the guinea pig.

I'm thinking a triple test here for any "patients" reading this journal. We'll do a test with the clean 419 pipe, we'll try a vape session, then perhaps a water based delivery device, like a bong. If we're not passed out, or running to the nearest fast-food joint, maybe we'll roll one up. Unfortunately, I don't think the sample amount on hand will allow all these different methods, but we'll give it a go.

Wish I collect all of you guys in a room for a tasting session! That would be a fun time.

Thanks OMM
SF

Well thanks to the date, 4/20, our site Sponsor Attitude Seeds, and McBudz for pointing out a special on 420, I'm pleased to announce the arrival of some new goodies!

I purchased 5 Fem Super Lemon Haze.

The Freebies included the following:

1-DinaFem Sweet Deep Grapefruit
1-DinaFem Cloud #9
1-DinaFem Fruit Automatic
1-DinaFem White Siberian
1-Greenhouse The Church
(includes a FREE coffee mug and Attitude T-Shirt, which haven't arrived yet, but they mentioned it would arrive separately)

Don't know necessarily when or how I'll do these up yet. I'm definitely going to get a cloner setup running before I start these, don't want to miss the opportunity again like with the current White Widow growing.

Ok, off to get pictures of the LowRyders as we've just hit 6 weeks!

Have a great night everyone!
SF

Well thanks to the date, 4/20, our site Sponsor Attitude Seeds, and McBudz for pointing out a special on 420, I'm pleased to announce the arrival of some new goodies!

I purchased 5 Fem Super Lemon Haze.

The Freebies included the following:

1-DinaFem Sweet Deep Grapefruit
1-DinaFem Cloud #9
1-DinaFem Fruit Automatic
1-DinaFem White Siberian
1-Greenhouse The Church
(includes a FREE coffee mug and Attitude T-Shirt, which haven't arrived yet, but they mentioned it would arrive separately)

Don't know necessarily when or how I'll do these up yet. I'm definitely going to get a cloner setup running before I start these, don't want to miss the opportunity again like with the current White Widow growing.

Ok, off to get pictures of the LowRyders as we've just hit 6 weeks!

Have a great night everyone!
SF

Excellent haul, SF. 10 for the price of 5, and they all sound tasty. I'm not familiar with those 4 DinaFem strains, but they do look interesting. Looks like one is an auto, too.

Back
Top Bottom