1st Grow - Ebb-N-Grow : Afghan Kush, White Widow, Bag Seed!

do you have plans for all your trim yet???

I know I'm going to make you "sick" and I hope I'm not committing a cardinal sin here, but really....(scared to say this)...it was my plan...my intention...to throw it away?

Unless it can be saved somehow. I just don't know what to do with it? Am I showing how really green I am here? I don't have bubble bags, gumby hash isn't that appealing. I can't bury it or use for compost.

Can you educate me and fellow growers Wheel on the options? I, and I'm sure others value your opinions and knowledge!

Thanks Bro.
Sf.

PS. I feel much cleaner now that I got that out to you....ahhh

PSS.

I've got your harvest post printed and ready to go Wheel! Thought it deserves to be posted again here for everyone to see!

ABOUT HARVEST:

here is one of the 420mag official guides to harvest:
What is the best way to dry and preserve the cure for smooth, sweet buds?

sounds good to me, but not what I do.

My Method is as follows:
1)cut off a main cola as far down as you can without getting too much side branching
2)cut off all fan leaves. and discard
3)trim the sugar leaf in the general shape of the bud onto a newspaper for hash (or discard). I don't trim it too too tight, the sugar leaf will curl up and cover the bud, which will protect the bud somewhat until i smoke it. i leave maybe 1/8-1/2 inch of sugar leaf depending on how frosty it is. . . if you leave too much you can just not smoke that part when you break it up.
4)I used to hang them upside down in a closet, but now i have a mesh drying rack with 5 compartment, and depending on climate i leave them for 5-7 days until they're really dry.
5)next cut off side branching, one branch at a time, and treat it like a cola.
6)repeat steps 2 & 3 for each of step 5.
7) after 5-7 days they go into glass jars to cure. the buds will go from felling very dry, maybe even a bit crispy, to being kind of wet again in the jars.
8)burp the jars (open them and close them again) at least once a day as the buds "sweat" out excess moisture.
9)the buds will get more potent, in both taste and strength of high, the longer they are cured - up to a certain point. i would say that they are cured enough after one week, nicely cured in two, and fully cured in 4. (this is just my own scale.

I never have enough to wait the full cure to start tokin my harvests. I start smoking from the first day they are dry enough. lol. I've been dry for a week now and it sucks man. I can't wait to get another harvest under my belt. . . . hopefully one that will keep me stocked well enough to get through the one after that and a full cure before i have to raid the stash.

:goodluck:

Thanks again man!!
SF

I know I'm going to make you "sick" and I hope I'm not committing a cardinal sin here, but really....(scared to say this)...it was my plan...my intention...to throw it away?

Unless it can be saved somehow. I just don't know what to do with it? Am I showing how really green I am here? I don't have bubble bags, gumby hash isn't that appealing. I can't bury it or use for compost.

Can you educate me and fellow growers Wheel on the options? I, and I'm sure others value your opinions and knowledge!

Thanks Bro.
Sf.

PS. I feel much cleaner now that I got that out to you....ahhh

I hope I'm not stepping on Wheelo's territory - but I gotta say - at the very least, throw it in a paper bag to dry in the dark. Set it aside and when you decide what to do - you'll have it. I never decide what to do until I'm sitting around bored and think - maybe I'll make hash. Or butter. Or Gumby hash. Whatever - but I'd hate to see you throw it away - that's prime leaf right there in those pics!

:bravo:

EDIT: Also, great explanation on the ppm of flushing. Lots of folks don't realize how easy it is to tell.

not at all poppa, I agree with you 100%.

now, I dont save the fan leaves, unless they are so frosty i feel guilty, and then i cut and save the frosty looking part. . . you can mostly just go by eye. if you see trics, save it, if not toss it. those tric check pics you just posted is a perfect example of what you want to save.

Throw it all in a big paper bag, and shake it up once or twice a day to turn it over and let it dry evenly.

trust me, you'll have a ton of this material, and you'll find out that it's one of the best benefits from growing your own. . . the reason i love this stuff so much is that you can use it with disregard if you so choose. lol.

let me give you an example:

I just finished up a batch of wheelo's infamous triple dipp canna butter. that shit is insane.

a general guideline is usually 1oz. bud to 1 lb. butter.
I used 3 1/2 - 4 oz of close trim. high quality sugar leaf. smokeable even.
filled the slow cooker with water.
put the 1lb butter in a large glass jar with 1 oz or so of trim. enough to fill to butter line.
dropped the jar in the water bath
left in slow cooker for an hour and a half on high (preheated)
strain butter with cheesecloth, reload with a fresh oz and repeat 3 times
8"x8" glass pan cut into 2"x2" squares. 16 total brownies per batch, using 1/2 cup or 1/4 pound per batch, makes 4 batches.

man let me tell you, takes 45 min-hour to feel anything. an hour and a half is full on giggly for 30 min. 2 hours in is full effect for 4 hours (6 hours in) then you have slightly lees intense but still good enough you don't even want to smoke for 3-4 more hours.

so here's a time table:
eat 1 at 1pm
start to feel it 2pm
find everything hilarious 2:30pm
realize your as high as you can get 3pm
realize your still high 4pm
realize your still high 5pm
realize your still high 6pm
realize holy shit, your still as high as you were at 3pm, 7pm
wonder when your not gonna be high anymore, 8pm
finally start to feel a bit more normal, and perhaps getting tired. 9pm
wonder should I smoke a bowl? nah i'm still kinda high 9:05pm
time for a quick nap 9:10
wake up and raid the fridge 9:50

say "holy shit, them triple dipp bitches sure do pack a punch" 10pm

i just whipped up a new batch of double dip with the rest of my trim. not the same, but will still get you there for a few hours.

anyways, whatever you end up doing with it, trust me don't throw it out. I like to call it grower's gold. all you have to do is mine it off the buds.

Hi SF I'm as excited as you are about tomorrow. I know the felling of that first harvest! Get the scissors ready! It's going to be a long, but rewarding day! :cheer:
Trimming is my favorite thing....up close and personal. Enjoy the hell out of it!!!:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

Stink, at the very least u can dry the trim out then stick it in the freezer till u get bubble bags, or whatever u decide to do with it. Anyway, I'm bettin ur fingers are pretty tired by now. Have fun.

yeah, butter is just so easy to do, and if you do it right, so so fun. plus requires nothing but kitchen ware.

probably the easiest method with the best results for that type of material, esp. with a newb at the helm.

Hey Guys.

You all ROCK. Thanks for all the suggestions. I've got them "on-ice" until deciding what's next.

You are also all correct, I'm exhausted. Me and a buddy did harvest, but only 4 Afghan Kush. Started at about noon and finished pretty near 9pm, with a couple short breaks for a session or two :cheesygrinsmiley:. I'm really beat and have a bunch of pictures. I'll post some data, some of this is a little "shocking" to me, but I also understand this is all wet weight.

I'll be working on the pictures tomorrow, promise, but I just wanted to touch base and share with you guys, since I mentioned I would. I was a little optimistic in my mind how fast I thought we'd be done, and I'd get to hit the boards today. I didn't get a chance to really do a proper clean-up, but I just had to get out of the house and clear my head, and nose.

I've got StinkFingers, sticky arms, my clothes wreak, and I've been rubbing alcohol all over my hands at least 6 times today. Ahhh the pleasures of trimming. I'm not complaining, I'm sure after the dry and cure are started, I'll have forgotten long about this day and think back with pride and pleasure.

This isn't a wrap up, but my brain is racing. I'm planning to harvest the single White Widow, and my Clone from the bag seed grow sometime this week. Tomorrow when I post the pictures, I'll let you guys know my thinking and why I decided to hold off for a couple of days.

The Data
Afghan Kush #1 - 687.2 grams
Top Cola Weight - 88.5 grams

AK #2 - 310.2 grams
Top Cola Weight - 64.2 grams

AK #3 - 1006.1 grams (Dual Cola Plant)
Top Cola 1 Weight - 60 grams
Top Cola 2 Weight - 57.7 grams

AK #4 - 670.2 grams
Not a great Cola, so no weight

Total Wet for 4 Afghan Kush - 2673.7 grams

Hey Guys.

You all ROCK. Thanks for all the suggestions. I've got them "on-ice" until deciding what's next.

You are also all correct, I'm exhausted. Me and a buddy did harvest, but only 4 Afghan Kush. Started at about noon and finished pretty near 9pm, with a couple short breaks for a session or two :cheesygrinsmiley:. I'm really beat and have a bunch of pictures. I'll post some data, some of this is a little "shocking" to me, but I also understand this is all wet weight.

I'll be working on the pictures tomorrow, promise, but I just wanted to touch base and share with you guys, since I mentioned I would. I was a little optimistic in my mind how fast I thought we'd be done, and I'd get to hit the boards today. I didn't get a chance to really do a proper clean-up, but I just had to get out of the house and clear my head, and nose.

I've got StinkFingers, sticky arms, my clothes wreak, and I've been rubbing alcohol all over my hands at least 6 times today. Ahhh the pleasures of trimming. I'm not complaining, I'm sure after the dry and cure are started, I'll have forgotten long about this day and think back with pride and pleasure.

This isn't a wrap up, but my brain is racing. I'm planning to harvest the single White Widow, and my Clone from the bag seed grow sometime this week. Tomorrow when I post the pictures, I'll let you guys know my thinking and why I decided to hold off for a couple of days.

The Data
Afghan Kush #1 - 687.2 grams
Top Cola Weight - 88.5 grams

AK #2 - 310.2 grams
Top Cola Weight - 64.2 grams

AK #3 - 1006.1 grams (Dual Cola Plant)
Top Cola 1 Weight - 60 grams
Top Cola 2 Weight - 57.7 grams

AK #4 - 670.2 grams
Not a great Cola, so no weight

Total Wet for 4 Afghan Kush - 2673.7 grams

I love the counting part. Looks like you're going to have 600-700g of AK dried, plus whatever from the others, i.e. you're pushing 1g/w on your first grow. The hard work has paid off handsomely. :bravo:

Very nice, SF. :grinjoint:

Hey Guys.

Thanks for all the compliments. I'm totally working on all the pictures I took. I know you all know what a pain it is to resize and upload, etc....so bear with me, between work and some other nonsense, I'll get it done today. But I had a second to upload one pic here to share. This is most of the Kush, there is a bit in the box to the left of the drying rack. Just trying some different drying methods for experience.

MJ_1489_1.jpg

Be back in a bit with more....

Thanks again guys!!!
Sf

That drying tube is freakin' AWESOME! :bravo:
I'm a big cheater when it comes to my pics. I use windows media player to pull them off my camera by click n drag to my desktop and then I crop the hell out of them until they fit. I really need to start doing it right.;)

Hey Guys, again...Tons of thanks!

Still have two more plants to go, but I've got some pictures.

:slide:

First batch, just before harvest. These were exactly at the 9 week mark of flowering or 63 days.

(Again, you can click for a larger pic)

Left Side of Closet
MJ_1451.jpg

Right Side of Closet
MJ_1450.jpg

White Widow
MJ_1433.jpg

MJ_1426.jpg

Afghan Kush
MJ_1423.jpg

Dual Cola Kush in Back
MJ_1429.jpg