1st Hydro Grow

Thanks Pit...I've said it before and I'll say it again...I just did what I was told. Next grow I'll have a little more knowledge and alot better equipment.

:cheer:great job southernweed buds look sweet as:bong:, i'm sure you will start again once the reunion have left?, have you decided what you will try?? and will it be hydro/aero/soil?all the best anyway and looking forward to the next grow:ganjamon:

:cheer:great job southernweed buds look sweet as:bong:, i'm sure you will start again once the reunion have left?, have you decided what you will try?? and will it be hydro/aero/soil?all the best anyway and looking forward to the next grow:ganjamon:

Oh yes...I know exactly what I'm doing. And I'll be doing it as soon as I can get rid of all the guests. I will tell you it will be a hydro grow of 4 plants...2 each Super Lemon Haze and Utopia Haze...but you'll have to tune in later for the whole plan.

Thanks for the kind words on the buds...they look and smell great, can't wait to puff on some properly dried and cured.

Pan...again, many thanks!

Ms Fox...glad to know you'll be watching as well!

Indo...smoke report will be posted in about 2 more weeks...want em to cure a bit first.

Southernboy30...glad you enjoyed the thread, it was done with the idea of helping new hydro growers, like myself.

I have to be honest, when I realized I was going to have to cut this grow off early, it kind of took the wind out of my sails, but there's a lesson in it as well...always be ready for something to go sideways. However, I have turned my full attention to the upcoming grow. Finished a 24 hour test on the DWC buckets that will be used for the next grow, last night and all seems well. No leaks, alot less noise and perfectly laid out to maximize light.

So hang in there folks...I'll be cranking up a new journal in about a week. This time I'll have a little more knowledge and alot better equipment. Now if y'all will excuse me, I need to go set out some land mines and claymores...er...hand towels and wash rags, for my guests...y'all have a great day...I'll be back as time allows over the next few days.

Hi Southernweed,
I really enjoyed watching your grow. I will be sure to see your next one. I always need a tip or two. Your buds look really good. I can almost smell them from here!!!
Frosty icy sparkly...
I had to cut a grow short due to "IKE". Had to pack up my bags and be on the "A" Team at work. I left explicit instuctions for my DH how to care for my garden, luckily we didnt lose power but I was ready for any problems. Except being blown away or drowned by "IKE". I'm shutting down for the season anyway after my next harvest.
Your grow was a great show. I loved the ride and will be watching your next for sure..
fin
o<

Good morning all...

Due to some pretty severe thunderstorms, my company didn't arrive until about 1am, so they are all knocked out. Gives me a chance to show off a little suprise.

Did alot of looking around for drying/curing techniques, and came across one I couldn't pass up, dry ice curing. I took an old tupperware bread box, drilled a ton of 1/4 inch holes in the top of it, loaded the bottom with dry ice, laid down a sheet of newspaper, and placed the bud on it. They were in there for 4 1/2 days. I had to replace the ice several times, but the whole thing cost less than 20 bucks. How did it work? Well, I have bud that is ready for a bowl. Smoked a bit just a bit ago, and I'm pretty wrecked. There is still a slightly green taste to it, but I expect that will change now that I have moved them to jars to cure a bit more conventionally.

This is the complete yeild from plant number 2. current weight is 33.9 grams, but I expect it to drop some more, but I think it will stay in the one ounce range. Other plant is most likely end up around 35-40 grams so I'm happy enough with it for a cut short, first grow.

As far as a smoke report, as I said, there is still a bit of a green taste to it, but the sweet in the smoke is definately coming forward, both in taste and smell.

The high is sort of segmented. Before drying the bud had a 30-40 min up high, followed by a hammering body stone. The effect now is much more pronounced on the body side...it seems that the initial up, has been cut in half, 15-20 mins, but the body stone has me wanting to flop down on the bed and watch some old Pink Floyd concerts.

It needs to be revisited in a month or so, but right now I'd give the bud 7/10.

Here's a yield pic...

rsz_100_0591.jpg

Well guys and girls, this will about wrap up this journal. I'll definately report more on the smoke in my next journal, after it's had some time to properly cure. I have several jars stuffed with that LSD, man I gotta grow some of that sometime, to keep me occupied for awhile so the White Dwarfs can sit and cure.

Keep you eyes open for my next journal...it'll be SouthernWeed's something or another.

Again, many thanks to all of you that have followed this first grow. Hopefully the next time around I'll learn as much or more than I learned this time.

:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

Great smoke report. Using dry ice to dry is neat. Never heard of doing that before. It has been a real pleasure to watch your grow. Looking forward to your next. ;-)

I can honestly say that I'm content with my primary samples, too. I pulled a few of the early maturing/lowest yielding Indicas. Maybe an ounce per plant wet weight....but I'm also real stoned. lol Still kinda green but smooth with a real heady stupifying stone. Smoking a J with my buddy yesterday had us "trapped" outside in our chairs for like 2 hours. Glad to have some smoke for a change. Check my thread for a few pics. Thanks for all you guys helping me out along the way too. You've been great, Southern.

Final weight...66 grams from two plants

Final smoke report...

The conventionally dried bud is marginally more potent than the bud that was dried using the dry ice technique. The taste and appearance is identical. I would rate co2 dried bud at 7/10 and the conventionally dried bud at 7.5/10.

Taste is hard to class, as I have never tasted anything quite like it. Kind of hashy with slightly fruity undertones. It is a bit on the harsh side, but not a lung buster. It vapes very well and the cana butter made from trim and small buds was extremely potent. One cookie had my wife grinning like the cat that ate the canary.

My overall evaluation is positive. If you want to grow out some bud in 60-70 days, this would be an awsome plant to grow. I have every intention of growing these again down the road. Frankly, since my days of large scale outdoor growing are behind me, and I'm just growing for personal use, I believe I'll start an AF ongoing grow after my current grow is complete.

Thanks again to all who followed this journal, and a special thanks to those who helped an old school dirt farmer go high tech, the results achieved would not have been possible without you.

Back
Top Bottom