Stevehman's Advanced LED's Height Test - 720W - Gigabud - Grow 5.0

hey are those humidity gauges in the mason jars when you were curing? if so are they there to help you get a good idea when the bud is done curing? if so what was the humidity % when you deemed them cured?
They are digital hygrometers to monitor the humidity in the jars (about $5 each on eBay). I shoot for an RH of ~62% in the jars. I put the buds in there when they feel slightly "crisp" on the outside and their stems have a snap when I bend them. They should still have a little internal moisture at that point, don't overdry them because there is no coming back from that point.

I put them in the jars and seal them up. I check the RH every few hours the first day to see where it is. If it is well above my target of 62% I pull the buds out and let them dry for anywhere from 1 half-day to 2 days. This you have to gauge from your own experience, the RH of your drying area, temp, how dry the buds are when you put them back out. This is where I feel there's more art than science (whereas for me the grow is more science than art).

Once I have a steady RH of ~63% in the jars, I seal them up and give them a "burp" once a day for about 10~30 minutes making sure that I get air moving throughout the jar. After about a week, I leave them sealed up and then only open them for a few seconds to smell them to see how they are curing. You will start to notice a difference it the smell as they start to age.

I think it took me a few grows to really get a handle on drying and curing. In my opinion it is the most important part of the process. Take your time and invest in some gear, it's not very expensive to pick up a hygrometer for each of your curing jars (I use 1/2 mason jars, but will be moving up to 2 gal apothecary jars for next grow). We spend so much time and money on nutrients, pH meters, lights and all of the grow items, but very little on the drying and curing stage--BUT, the drying and curing is where you make your money (or ruin your harvest). It took me a few grows to realize that, and my next major DIY project is a custom built drying system with RH control.

Let me know if that answers your question, or creates more questions for me to answer.

In my opinion it is the most important part of the process. Take your time and invest in some gear, it's not very expensive to pick up a hygrometer for each of your curing jars (I use 1/2 mason jars, but will be moving up to 2 gal apothecary jars for next grow). We spend so much time and money on nutrients, pH meters, lights and all of the grow items, but very little on the drying and curing stage--BUT, the drying and curing is where you make your money (or ruin your harvest). It took me a few grows to realize that, and my next major DIY project is a custom built drying system with RH control.

Let me know if that answers your question, or creates more questions for me to answer.

I can't tell you how thankful I am to have journals like these, with so much detail on every step of the process, to use as a roadmap as I'm getting started.

And man, seeing a couple of 2-gallon jars full of curing buds....:circle-of-love:

I can't tell you how thankful I am to have journals like these, with so much detail on every step of the process, to use as a roadmap as I'm getting started.

And man, seeing a couple of 2-gallon jars full of curing buds....:circle-of-love:
I figure since I usually have 6+ half-gallon jars curing, it would be easier to have fewer larger jars, and the apothecary jars have very large mouths so it's easier to get the buds in and out. I am planning on using a piece of 1.5 inch PVC that is drilled full of holes to place in the center to allow air to flow more evenly in the jars. I think that will help them cure more evenly and prevent the chances of moisture building up, reducing the chance of mold.

You can pick up the jars at Target, about the best price I've found on them. (online or in-store)

Definitely. I was gonna ask if you expected airflow to be a problem in such a large container, but you seem to be thinking about that already. You planning to put a little fan on top of the tube, or just let it circulate naturally during it's burp?

how tight do these jars need to seal up? I see some stuff online with relatively loose lids.

Definitely. I was gonna ask if you expected airflow to be a problem in such a large container, but you seem to be thinking about that already. You planning to put a little fan on top of the tube, or just let it circulate naturally during it's burp?
I planned to just to open it occasionally and let the air circulate, but making a small CPU cooling fan attachment that can be slipped onto the tube when I burp them......now my brain is working.

how tight do these jars need to seal up? I see some stuff online with relatively loose lids.
The jars I've looked at have a soft plastic (possibly silicone) seal inside the lid. Even though it is a "loose fit" it is still airtight. Not sure if this link will work Montana Canister with Silver Lid - 2.5 gal. : Target if not, Google "montana canister" you will see a list of jars that are air tight and food grade.

I would personally say "dont" to putting a fan over the jar during burps. That might kindof defeat the process of a "slow cure" and will surely dry the buds unevenly. Thats why you dont point a fan directly at the buds during the drying process. I guess it just depends on how long you burp for each time. I could be wrong and im definitely not telling you not to experiment, steve :)

I would personally say "dont" to putting a fan over the jar during burps. That might kindof defeat the process of a "slow cure" and will surely dry the buds unevenly. Thats why you dont point a fan directly at the buds during the drying process. I guess it just depends on how long you burp for each time. I could be wrong and im definitely not telling you not to experiment, steve :)

I was thinking of using the fan to draw air from the bottom of the jar to the top for about 30-60 seconds, kind of a "speed-burp" then remove the fan and reseal the jat. Just a though that fncg put into my mind.

I am designing a dry/cure box for my next project that will utilize a uv/hepa filtered air intake and an RH control to keep the entire box at ~60% for the drying process with a cpu fan at the top drawing air up through the box for air movement (air that will have been hepa/uv sterilized). I think this will give me a more precise drying and better cure because the entire box will be built like a humidor. I will start building it after the holidays, since my harvest for my current grows will be mid and late Jan.

You need to ramp up that tent Steve, then hang all those wet colas in your cure room with a dehumidifier. Then close the sealed door. Leave the stink inside, the dust & bugs out. Pour the water away :)

The sealed drying chamber is a good idea. How do we scale it down, and extract just the quart or two of water from your 8 or 16 Zs?
Or mine? :hmmmm:

The jars I've looked at have a soft plastic (possibly silicone) seal inside the lid. Even though it is a "loose fit" it is still airtight. Not sure if this link will work Montana Canister with Silver Lid - 2.5 gal. : Target if not, Google "montana canister" you will see a list of jars that are air tight and food grade.

next question, estimate of how much in wet buds they will hold?

Would the cure even be relatively even throughout the canister? Seems like because of the volume it may not be real even. Is that even an issue?

Thanks.

You need to ramp up that tent Steve, then hang all those wet colas in your cure room with a dehumidifier. Then close the sealed door. Leave the stink inside, the dust & bugs out. Pour the water away :)

The sealed drying chamber is a good idea. How do we scale it down, and extract just the quart or two of water from your 8 or 16 Zs?
Or mine? :hmmmm:
When I build my dryer box I will make sure to post it in the DIY section. I am thinking of making it 2x3x5 with two sides that can be operated independently if needed. I will be making drying tray frames out of 1x2 hardwood and then placing fiberglass screen on the bottoms. Place each shelf about 3 inches apart will give me 4 trays per foot and I will have about 4 feet of internal space (the top and bottom 6 inches will be for intake filtration and exhaust).

That will give me 16 trays per side and each tray will be about 18x20. I should be able to get 2 lbs per side.

I think for a smaller scale drying box you can buy a small cabinet and place some prefabbed window screens in it for drying racks. I bought some that I used on my second grow that were in a 2-pack and were 18x18 and work great. I built a rack holder out of PVC and placed it in my box to dry.

The problem I'll have (if it's really a problem is a debate) is that once the tent or box grow is done I am turning it over and starting a new grow in 2 days. That is one of the reasons I am looking for a box that can be in almost continuous service.

next question, estimate of how much in wet buds they will hold?

Would the cure even be relatively even throughout the canister? Seems like because of the volume it may not be real even. Is that even an issue?

Thanks.
Do not put wet buds in the jar, they will mold! Wait until they are dry and then put them in to cure. Consider curing more of an aging process, like a fine red wine. Drying and curing is really the most important part of your grow/harvest cycle. Mess that up and you have nothing for all of your efforts. There are several posts in this thread that will give you more information: Harvest, Preparation & Curing - 420 Magazine ®

The 2.5 gallon jars should hold over a lb of DRIED bud though unless you have a lot of fluff.

I guess I said that wrong. I meant from the perspective of wet when harvested but after hang to dry. Yes I understand we want to dry and cure well. I was more trying to get an idea of volume so I can make sure I have enough but not too many wasted $$'s on extra jars.

I guess I said that wrong. I meant from the perspective of wet when harvested but after hang to dry. Yes I understand we want to dry and cure well. I was more trying to get an idea of volume so I can make sure I have enough but not too many wasted $$'s on extra jars.

Plan on losing 75% of your weight in the dry, so four pounds wet=one pound dry. One pound will (should) fit in the 2.5 gal jar.

Back
Top Bottom