1st Hydro Grow

:goodjob:great work, this is great reading for me since i know nothing about hydro but getting there with all this passing info "420 rocks" peace up and crop prosper:yummy:

When I started this grow, the practical knowledge I had about hydro would've fit in a shot glass with plenty of room left for the shot. Sure, I spent a couple of weeks reading and trying to learn, but theory and reality are two very different things. The point is, there is so much info floating around in here, if you check your ego at the door and listen to the voices of experience, you have a very good chance at a succesful grow!

I also don't claim to know it all, but I do know that THC does not migrate. THC is focused between the head and stalk of a tricome for the most part and tricomes don't travel. Plants dry faster (better?) when trimmed to 12-18in lengths and hung to dry 3-7 days...longer/slower drying removes more chlorophyll (ergo..."green taste"). Curing in jars, immediately following hanging, allows internal moisture to spread to the driest portions of the bud evenly (surface) where it may also evaporate. Opening the jars several times a day (when moisture condenses on the glass) and allowing it to evaporate before replacing the lid, slows drying, activates all THC that may still be dormant, brings out smoothness, flavor, and allows storage for long periods of time without losing ANY potency or quality. Properly maintained curing is the BEST way to enjoy all the hard work we've put in.

If you don't have it yet, find a copy of Jorge Cervantes' "Marijuana Horticulture: The Indoor/Outdoor Growers's Bible". You can also watch all of his grow videos on Youtube.

Let me know if ya need more detail or have further questions. I have horrible insomnia and I expect to continue pacing the floor for another month until my crop is ready. So on that note, I'm here for anyone that needs me, day or night.

<<<<<=======Pure Southern Hospitality....lol.

On a side note, the next time someone tells you "God wouldn't approve" or whatever, you now can tell them that "Kaneh Bosm" is mentioned throughout the Old Testament. "Kaneh" meaning "Reed of Hemp" and "Bosm" meaning "aromatic".

"....Moreover the Lord spoke unto Moses, saying, "Take thou also unto thee principal spices, of pure Myrrh five hundred shekels, and of cinnamon half so much, even two hundred and fifty shekels, and of sweet Kaneh bosm two hundred and fifty shekels".

Exodus chapter 30

I also don't claim to know it all, but I do know that THC does not migrate. THC is focused between the head and stalk of a tricome for the most part and tricomes don't travel. Plants dry faster (better?) when trimmed to 12-18in lengths and hung to dry 3-7 days...longer/slower drying removes more chlorophyll (ergo..."green taste"). Curing in jars, immediately following hanging, allows internal moisture to spread to the driest portions of the bud evenly (surface) where it may also evaporate. Opening the jars several times a day (when moisture condenses on the glass) and allowing it to evaporate before replacing the lid, slows drying, activates all THC that may still be dormant, brings out smoothness, flavor, and allows storage for long periods of time without losing ANY potency or quality. Properly maintained curing is the BEST way to enjoy all the hard work we've put in.

If you don't have it yet, find a copy of Jorge Cervantes' "Marijuana Horticulture: The Indoor/Outdoor Growers's Bible". You can also watch all of his grow videos on Youtube.

Let me know if ya need more detail or have further questions. I have horrible insomnia and I expect to continue pacing the floor for another month until my crop is ready. So on that note, I'm here for anyone that needs me, day or night.

<<<<<=======Pure Southern Hospitality....lol.

My man, while I respect all opinions, I must disagree. 17 years of curing weed in the manner I described has taught me that it does work. As I posted, my own hardheadedness made me cure two identical plants, grown 10 feet apart, in different ways, and the weed cured by the oldtimers method was better in every respect.

I don't care how you prefer to dry it, man. lol It's not up to me. I believe the difference would be in the slower drying time required to dry the entire plant. As I said, THC doesn't become active until dried, so it's basically the same concept. THC doesn't move, but it does become more active with slower drying. It's all in preference. I used to dry whole-hog like you, with outdoor crops in KY. Now I just don't want that much smoke, drying for the extended time required, if I don't have to. Less exposure is better for me.

Southernweed,
I was just thinking and you may have this solved already, You dont need a new reservoir just more room for your girls. Maybe a tray system that has a very large tray the size you want and then the reservoir can be any size you want. Like a flood and drain system. You dont have to mess with the roots when you are changing reservoir water, you dont even have to move your plants. You can also arrange certain plants under the light as they need or such.
Everyone has their perference but after trying one like yours and a flood tray with a seperate reservoir sold me. This was just easier for me to maintain and The sides on totes I had (rubbermaid) were not too stiff. (I did see a black one at lowes that was pretty thick plastic but just a tote...) I saw a flood tray that was real large and fit in the lighted space but the reservoir only took up half the space in the little room. I think it was a 20 gal tank. (for me impossible to haul that much water with 5 gal jugs..I am a weakling sigh!)
just a thought that you probably already know but Im full of talk at the moment!!! &tasting a past bud
o<

I dry the stated HP way because that was how I was tought by my sen-sei. SOmetimes his buds are a litle more moist than mine in the end but I must dry very thourougly in this climate to prevent mold.. When I dry herbs from the garden I do like you dry hung upside down told to me by herbfarm people to dry evenly. But has worked for me but I may try another way maybe I will find out something that is better for me. I am always open to suggestions. Like you said leave your ego at the door and learn from the experts. Thats what I do cause I'm just a few years old at this specialty growing.

Morning all. Dad took a bad turn last night and he's back in the hospital, and these damn nazis are making me leave my computer in the car. Back as soon as circumstances allow.

L8...HappyHippie, please handle greetings today, not to sure when I'll be back. Thanks guys.

Good mornng to all.

Well doctors are sure good at scaring the hell out of people for no good reason. They must take a class on that. Anyhow, sorry to have to bail yesterday, so I'll try and make it up to y'all with some pics.

rsz_100_0463.jpg

rsz_100_0464.jpg

rsz_100_04651.jpg

rsz_100_0466.jpg

rsz_100_0471.jpg

rsz_100_0472.jpg

rsz_100_0473.jpg

rsz_100_0474.jpg

I shot that last pic, as bad as it is, to give y'all some kind of idea of what my overall jungle looks like. I got a new tote yesterday, but the roots have basically become one large mass, and I'm very reluctant to try to untangle them at this point. I will have to tackle that issue eventually, but not until I'm ready to begin harvesting. You can't really tell from the posted pics, I'm still having trouble with the macro mode on this camera, but three of the four White Dwarves are starting to frost up nicely...giggity! And oh what a smell...sort of a fruity/skunk and pungent as hell! I think this is going to make some nice smoke. :ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom