Bassman59's 1st Grow - DWC/LED - Pray For Me!

Hey BassMan, Glad to see ya get started! Did you consider putting the exhaust on a timer?

Have not done so sir. It's running 24/7 with the lights. temps have been fine. occasionally to 88 if I leave the room the tent is in closed for 24 hrs with outside ambient hitting 112f in this lovely desert and house ac 79. But that's because with the room itself kept so tight. Mostly it seems to run about 79-84f inside the tent.

When I flip to 12-12 I will monitor closely in the beginning to get a good pattern for temp/fan need, etc.

@Bassman, sry bout the waste, bro. Ive done it before with clones. Im going to repeat what everyone told you and say always wait for sturdy roots to pop. But im sure the grow will be fine. Maybe just veg a little longer to make up for the loss. Looking good tho. I had been waiting for pics :)

Damn flash needs more flash. Hard to see but she's doing fine. 2nd set of leaves comin.

ph was high a while ago. got it down to 5.9. temps running 84 avg, RH was 54%

100_16212.jpg

Hopefully see new seeds tues-weds.

Late to the show as usual...

I'm a fan of soaking beans in water for 48 hours, then planting in my medium (right in the soil if I'm doing dirt, into root riots, etc. if I do hydro). No nutes until they've got their second set of true leaves.

To each his/her own though, and what works for one may not work for another! Don't feel discouraged, I've not had a successful harvest this year, but just learn from my mistakes and keep plugging along! :goodluck:

:bongrip: - JZ

Update:

new seeds are in. Started a water soak just moments ago. I'll put them in root riot and humidity dome in 12-24 hrs. Once they sprout I'll put them under cfl's till they are ready to drop into the dwc and start feeding. In the meantime, when the one plant is ready I'll top/fim to make it bushier and keep height down so the difference from led isnt to drastic once I drop these 6 seeds into the tubs.

Decided to do another full drain/clean/replenish of the one tub after seeing such wacko ph swings. I did find a bit more slime and the water was murky/white/cloudy, whatever. I wiped the tub down with fresh clean cloths as well as all tubes. I got some redish color from wiping the tubes which can only come from the hydroton I believe. I was the living bejeebus out of them before using too! So before I plant the new seeds the hydroton is getting another long shower. Hopefully the mad ph swings will subside now.

Replaced water in tub with 1/4 micro/grow ph'd at 5 gals. I have markers set at 5gal and 6gal inside the tub. This will allow me a lil movement if I need. I also set a gal of solid ice against the tub to help water temp. I'll elevate the tub later in the week after I figure it out on how I'll cool the tub from below. The water is nice and clear now tho. So that's good.

Bass, just make sure the roots on the one plant in the res are a nice white color and not browning at all. Congrat's on the new seeds and it sounds like you've got a good plan! :welldone:

What are the strains that have yet to crack their shell of life and begin this wonderful adventure?

staying with ak48 (fems). I dont want to vary strains. Especially as a new grower. Generally speaking, I dont have intentions of growing multiple strains in the same grow. I'd rather not deal with variations in growth between diff strains in one tent, one light, one nute mix, etc.

Bass, just make sure the roots on the one plant in the res are a nice white color and not browning at all. Congrat's on the new seeds and it sounds like you've got a good plan! :welldone:

Thanks for above Krip. I did check and one of the two roots was turning. put 5 tbls hydrogen peroxide in. I did it 1 more time after 24 hrs also.

pic in next post just after the 2nd dousing.

Update:

One of the new ak48 fem seeds have popped through the root riot cube. Turned on the cfls over the dome.

Below is 24hrs after a Hydrogen peroxide addition. One of the roots of this plant had turned a lil color. Probably from the previous misfortunes. I have note elevated the tub yet to cool it better. I'll do that at next full drain/replenish or when I transplant the new seedlings. In the meantime, for water cooling, I'm placing two 1 gal jugs of ice against the tub every few hrs. This has been dropping the water temps a good six degrees or more but I really need to get it down even more.

PH:6.3
PPM:450

100_16242.jpg

A couple of thoughts and questions to the mass of experience here.

1. This plant shown in the last pic has virtually no stretch between nodes. The 4th set of leaves are just starting. Off hand, I doubt there is more than 1 1/4" difference from 1st set to 4th. Now I don't know what to make of that, but I'm trying to think a little bit ahead in terms of topping/fimming. Thus any advice or thoughts about this would be welcomed.

2. PH had risen to about 6.9 over the last 9 hrs or so and PPM was 419. I ph'd down to 5.7, and added about 1/4 nutes micro/grow and re-ph'd 5.9. This is 3 days after the initial 1/4 nutes feed which had been diluted a bit with about 1 gal (20%) more water added to tub. Does this still sound "less is more" ok?

3. Kinda planning on Sun or Monday full drain-replenish. Hopefully by the time I have finished with that the "repairs" of h202 and numerous cleanings will have taken hold and I can relax with the worries. I'll probably stay on 1/4 nutes twice weekly at least till the new seedlings have been transplanted and had 1 week of same before upping to 1/2 nutes. Anyone have thoughts on this?

*reminder to self, wash the shit out of the hydroton AGAIN prior to transplanting new seedlings.

Currently:
ppm: 627
PH: 5.9
Temp: 82
RH: 41%
Water temp: 79 ** still high but working on that and hopefully another 6-8 degrees lower after next drain-replenish.

Any thoughts on my stuff above?

Update:

All the seeds have come through nicely. As a 1st time grower, it seems interesting that the cfl-starters are same height or taller than the 1st plant that's already sprouting 4-5th sets. I suppose it's because the roots in the cloner tub hit the bottom right away whilst in the dwc they are reaching downward to get to the bath. Possibly adding to that is cfl's being 6-8" above deliver less intense light than the led at 36". /shrug

Main plant is looking nice. LED is set at 24" presently. Still 1/4 nutes. I'd like to see a little more stretch soon so I can comfortably top & fim.

I'll probably do a drain, clean, replenish later today. At that time I'll take out the hydroton from all the empty 3" planters in both tubs, clean second tub in preparation for transplant of the other 6. I think I've decided to completely remove the main res as well and just keep up with the ph/ppm of each tub.

Water temps are still an issue. I've yet to raise the tubs off the floor. I really need to get on it to get this issue handled without a chiller, which just isnt in the budget atm.

On to todays pics:

Main plant:
100_16294.jpg

New seedlings (5 days since germ start):
100_16303.jpg

Nice job, Bass!

It looks like your seedlings are stretching...I think you need to move the light a little closer to them Also, make sure you have a fan blowing on them to help strengthen the stems so they don't fall over.

Nice job, Bass!

It looks like your seedlings are stretching...I think you need to move the light a little closer to them Also, make sure you have a fan blowing on them to help strengthen the stems so they don't fall over.

Done, & done

Back
Top Bottom