Bassman59's 1st Grow - DWC/LED - Pray For Me!

I'll need all the prayers and well wishes for this folks!

I've read the forum here and all over the internet for the last month trying to learn as much as possible for a successful 1st grow. Thanks to all for your help.

Special thanks to Donnie at Stealth Grow | LED Grow Lights | 3W LED Grow Light | Grow Stealth LED for his assistance on LED lighting and willingness to spend the time with me.

This being my first grow, I'll list everything I can think of. I'll also pose a few questions along the way I'm sure. So feel free to chime in with your experience.

MY camera is unfortunately in the hands of a family member so for a cpl days or so I wont have photos, but since I'm just starting it wont matter. Hopefully before next weekend we'll have pics.

So lets start with what I'm using:

Deep Water Culture, two 6 pot (4 plants each) tubs filled to 6 gal each and a 6 gal reservoir.
Dual 12" air stones in each tub.
4' x 4' Secret Jardin tent
600w Grow Stealth Pro-Bloom LED 600W Pro-Bloom LED Grow Light | Grow Stealth LED | 3W LED Grow Lights
** 150-300w of CFL's as side lights if needed
GH micro and bloom nutes
RO water
8" 250cfm exh duct fan
small oscillating fan

8 x AK48 fem seeds

I've got my seeds germinating now for 30 odd hours as I write this. Soaked for 24hrs then into paper towels. 1-2 are just barely cracked open. I'll probably drop them all into rock wool and the DWC system within 24hrs.

Presently the tent sits at 79f and 34 RH with nothing running but household ac. I'll bump the humidity up when I plant thru use of a humidifier. My light is due to arrive Weds, so until then I'll drop 2 cfl reflectors with 1 x 26w (100w equiv) 6500k and 1 x 23w 2700k bulbs onto the seedlings in rock wool & hydroton.

PH is sitting at 6.1 presently with no nutes.

The plan (subject to confirmation) is to run 1/4 nutes from the start. I'll bump it up once we get to 5 or so true leaves and begin full veg.

This will be 24/7 lights on until I decide to flip.

I'll check ph & ppm daily.

7-10 days after planting and every 7 days thereafter I will do full res change. only feeding and topping off in between unless there is a problem.

I may do a small amount of LST. But I expect to top/fim a fair bit as well.

Depending on how the germination and grow goes, and if the light coverage allows, I'll add a 3rd planter (5gal bucket) and plant two new seedlings at about week 4-5 for two mother plants to clone from.

I do not intend to change strains during the grow or mix strains.

I have cleaned the room the tent is in well and sprayed Home Defense for critter prevention 5 times, including the hallway and adjacent room over the last two weeks.

If I've taken the proper notes, and prepared well, this grow should go fairly smoothly. I'm bound to mess up at some point on feeding, ph, whatever. But hopefully we'll all be able to read the problem fast and y'all will get me back on track.

So sit back, say a small prayer for me, enjoy the ride.

Thanks for tuning in! :peacetwo:

Re: Bassman59's 1st grow. DWC/LED, pray for me!

Subbed on this one... First grows are so exciting. Mymy prayers for your babies

Thanks and welcome to my ride Magic.
:thanks:

subbed!! And will be praying for you of course!!!

Thank you GT! :Namaste:

SO I popped 7/8 cracked seeds into the rock wool. The 8th seed had not cracked and was especially tiny. So I started a 24hr soak on 1 more seed.

I added a humdifier to the tent, dropped the cfls to about 7 inches, closed her up and the temp/humid went up to 86/70. A bit too hot so I turned on the small recirc. The exhaust fan is not needed yet, and tbh I have it installed but need to grab a cpl connectors to wire it in.

When I see true leaves and veg begins the humidity should be pretty easy for me to control in this dry climate, but for now I want to boost it up a bit.

I'm in. Good luck.

TY DEX! Dont forget your crash helmet. This ride may get scary. :popcorn:

Welcome Stevehman! thanks for joinin the ride. I look forward to your thoughts as it goes.

Interesting things I'm learning about environment control these first 24 hrs.

I wired the exh fan in and with the humidifier running, small recirc, exh fan, with it being 102f/8% RH outside, house AC set to 79, I have temp/humidity inside the tent at 77/45. This with allowing one vent 1/2 open.

With the exh fan off, vent closed, recirc on, overnight it hit 84/69%.

Is this ok while waiting on seeds to pop through the wool?

The one tiny seed that had not germed as of yesterday still has not cracked. The one seed I dropped to soak yesterday has already cracked with root coming out. I popped it into the last empty rock wool. Less than 24hrs behind the rest so that's fine.

Thanks guys on that info.

Update:

Ok so my light arrived this afternoon. Hung her up at 36" above the tubs and removed the two cfl reflectors.

Coverage looks nice. Exhaust fans kick on when it starts, they dont feel like a lot of air moving but 15 mins after turning on I can touch my hand to the glass. Heat wont be an issue it seems, thus saving $$ on electricity.

I had started the tubs with only 5 gals each since I expected to add a small amount of GH Micro, and wanted to have room to add water and thin ppm/ph if needed until I start a real feed, top off, drain cycle once all plants have come up with 5 leaves.

PH was high tonight (7.5), and I didnt check it yesterday. So I added 2 gals to main res with 2 tsp PH down. This brought PH down to 6.8. I still have room in tanks to add 1.5 gal (adding 1/2 gal to each tub from main res feed) to main res feed, but I wont ph down it anymore till tomorrow.

As far as the SEEDLINGS go, it looks like 4-5 will pop through the rock wool tomorrow, maybe 6 INCLUDING the germed seed that I dropped in 1.5 days behind when that one tiny seed had not cracked. I tend to thing the rest look to pop through Fri-Sat at the latest.

I think I dropped them a bit too low in the wool, but really it wont matter as that will just get the roots into the res faster. I just want to see them pop thru!:popcorn:

Again I wont do a full res change until we have 4-5 true leaves, and will then begin GH micro and bloom "lucas formula" feeding regimen. I'll also lower the LED to about 20" above canopy at that time.

**Family can be terribly slow when you need something. Waiting on my camera still from my ex-sister in law. She says I'll get it tomorrow, *cough*, But I may just order one tonight from newegg and it'll be here Fri. Until then no pics.

Bah!

I spoke too soon. some 6 odd hours later I went to re-check on room temp, humidity and it was something like 95f/72rh (I cant recall exactly).

So I plugged the exh fan in (250cfm) and cracked a vent. Temps went down to 88f, but humidity plummeted as well. All the way down to 33%rh, with the humidifier on. Local weather is 91f/17%rh at 4am now.

I've added a few wet wash cloths to the top of the tub but they are 36" from the light so I dont know if they'll bump the humidity at all or not enough. I'll give it some time to see.

It's also possible this cheap ass humidifier is just that, cheap. I could easily keep the temp 79-82 but the humidity would be too low w/o assistance.

I added another cool mist humidifier and ran it with the exh fan running and vent open. after 3-4 hrs the humidity was only 40% rh. I also dropped the household AC 1-2 degrees (it was only 113f today :whoa: ). I also tried using exh fan and closed vent and still the humidity was low.

Being unhappy with this I turned the exh fan off about an hour ago and the temp/humidity is 88/60.

*edit to above: I cracked a vent 1/3rd open with exh fan off and humidity dropped to 54% inside 40 mins temp still at 88f. Closed vent back up.

I think this is barely ok temp wise, and humidity is fine, though I expect humidity may climb a bit tonight, but hopefully temp won't. Kinda hoping the 1-2 degree drop in ambient (household AC) may slow the temp increase. I did pick up another fan (can fan like those that fit perfect in 5gal buckets), but I hesitate to install to push more air to cool the tent as I expect it would also force the humidity down a bit too.

I'm just trying to get a good grip on atmosphere control before plants get into full veg so I'm not messing with it so much and can focus on ph/ppm/nutes etc.

Still only one plant popped through the wool, but I hope to see more tomorrow.

Feel free to throw out thoughts. Hopefully I'll have pics to post Saturday of my setup.

I got it!

The right combination for heat/humidity for this early stage.

1. two cool mist humidifiers
2. 5 wash cloths rolled up like cigars, soaked in water, placed on tub edges.
3. 1 BATH TOWEL soaked in water, hung over 5gal bucket.
4. Fan blowing on bath towel
5. 250cfm exh fan running
6. 1 lower intake vent open
7. 1 side screen vent cracked 1/3rd

temp/humidity: 79/64

This will be excellent till we get leaves, and easy to lower humidity a step at a time.

Still only have 1 seedling through the wool. I can barely see it's forming 1st set of leaves. All the rest but 1 are pretty darn close to coming through the wool. The 1 other is a bit away still.

PH'd today and dropped it down to 5.5

As is pointed out in tulips dwc tutorial, it appears using ro water is a massive ph roller coaster. Once I do a full drain replenish, and use only GH micro/bloom at 1/4 (or maybe less) strength, with no ph down and ro water I'll make a decision on continuing with r/o or tap water. The big fluctuations are what's bothering me presently but I did ph the water THEN added small amount of GH micro only. The lucas formula is based on r/o water and not ph'ing the water. So this may be the cause.

I guess it is starting to look like my 1st full drain/replenish is going to be a few days later than planned. No worries though as it allows me to keep working on ph balance and intuitive learning.

*hopefully tonight or tomorrow I get camera from ex sister-in-law and can start giving pics.

Yo, Bassman! Good to see you are up and running :welldone:

Great job on dialing in your temp/RH! It's always a work in progress my friend, with your diligence it will all pay off.

Can't wait to see pics. :popcorn: I love seeing those little seedlings grow.

On a side note, let Nirvana know about the failed seed. Who knows, they might make it right for you. They are a great seed company.

Yo, Bassman! Good to see you are up and running :welldone:

Great job on dialing in your temp/RH! It's always a work in progress my friend, with your diligence it will all pay off.

Can't wait to see pics. :popcorn: I love seeing those little seedlings grow.

On a side note, let Nirvana know about the failed seed. Who knows, they might make it right for you. They are a great seed company.

Thanks a bunch dog!

Just got home, havent even looked in on the tent yet.

Gotta git in there and take some pics in a bit. Might take me a couple dozen tries to get'em uploaded! :yahoo:

Back
Top Bottom