BCNL Producer & DIY Cabs 3 Strains

As for vegging, also good info, but I'm going to try my level best to cut that stage out altogether. I see a savings in time, nutes and energy (mine and the electric co's).

That makes a lot of sense for you, especially using the Producer. I have to admit, I thought you were flipping the switch a little early, but I think you've proven, you hit it right! :welldone:

Sorry for the multiple consecutive posts, but I was just checking Bandit420's journal and ran back across this exchange with him (he's a very good grower!) and Blue

Things are growing well and I can't complain. Increasing the room's blower on-time has reduced the RH a bit more. So far the room is 54/43. That's after every plant in the room was freshly watered. The Producer, by virtue of it being an enclosed environment is naturally higher... 70/54. That's after I removed the carbon filter/restriction from the grow area exhaust port. I'm making environmental changes incrementally so I can better determine progress for better or worse and document the results for learning. Given the intensity of lighting in that box I can't adequately illustrate the progress of the WW's, but they are all doing well and filling heavily up the middle.

DSC_08352.JPG

DSC_08403.JPG

DSC_08581.JPG

DSC_08631.JPG

These Euforia just plain please... and I haven't even smoked it yet. They're the antithesis of the White Widow in structure. While I'm uber fortunate in that both are great strains to be growing, the Euforia stands out if only for their intelligent stature. It may best be described as an inverted chandelier. It's branches instinctively grow at a height and spacing that enables them to steal any light near them while giving their buds preference over all. There were times in the DIY where they appeared to be something from NASA, in that their buds sat stoically while the fan leaves appeared to be their extended solar panels. Not so far from the truth I think.
The White Widows on the other hand, are bushes. Tough and resilient, they coexist well with their siblings allowing one another to persevere. They mangage very heavy bud growth without the direct light upon them that the Euforia seem to command. To me, this infers hardiness and strength.
It's a real treat to watch these differing "personalities" evolve.

DSC_08561.JPG

DSC_08551.JPG

DSC_08532.JPG

DSC_08512.JPG

The problem child. Full of vinegar and poised to rebel.

DSC_0848.JPG

DSC_08462.JPG

The DIY cab seems to be on autopilot. Feed it and wait. I'm good with that. Seeing a few more red hairs here and there.
Offering perspective on RH in cabs is this comparison: The DIY cab has passive intake and active exhaust. The Producer has both active intake and exhaust. DIY has 2 plants and max's out at RH-50%. The Producer has 13 plants and peaks at 70%. Just saying.

DSC_08661.JPG

DSC_08701.JPG

DSC_09061.JPG

DSC_0908.JPG

DSC_08761.JPG

DSC_08921.JPG

DSC_09051.JPG

DSC_0902.JPG

DSC_0898.JPG

DSC_0896.JPG

DSC_08931.JPG

DSC_0886.JPG

DSC_08851.JPG

DSC_08841.JPG

DSC_08871.JPG

DSC_0890.JPG

DSC_0901.JPG

Hanging on to the balance of clones for while until I'm certain the newly potted ones transplanted well.

DSC_0909.JPG

Actually...take two! :cheer:

You're too kind!

That makes a lot of sense for you, especially using the Producer. I have to admit, I thought you were flipping the switch a little early, but I think you've proven, you hit it right! :welldone:

I'm sure it seemed that way, but I had the benefit of many others before me to have learned that from. I'm thrilled to have a sativa dom strain able to grow in there.

Sorry for the multiple consecutive posts, but I was just checking Bandit420's journal and ran back across this exchange with him (he's a very good grower!) and Blue

NP, glad you did. It was a good comment to have read. Obviously not a fan of the practice, he did mention an RH of 30%ish to keep the mold at bay. If I do it, it would only be with similar or lower #'s.

BCNL recommends doing it in the Producer. To my understanding it is not done to achieve greater size. Rather potency.

I appreciate your passing that along!

Hey WeednFeed I'm jumping on late but I found a seat and it's fun to watch you and Mr. Krip roaring down the stretch together. Sisco and I did it last time, it's great to have someone to compare notes with.

You sure have a lot going on here, beautiful looking girls!

BTW...when I spoke to AN, they explained that they use a 4-week veg cycle and a 7-week flower cycle on their nute schedules. For veg, when you plan on vegging for longer than 4 weeks, you should maintain week #4 veg nutes until you're ready to flower.

On the 7-week flowering schedule, it's basically increasing nutes for the first four weeks of flower, then reducing for the next two, and flush in the final week. But, AN says that if you need to flower longer than 7 weeks (including flush), to maintain week #4 flowering nutes (the highest PPM's before reducing) until three weeks before flush, then start reducing as prescribed.

So, since it looks like I'll have a 9-10 week (minimum!) flower time, I'm gonna try to maintain their exising nute schedule a while longer.

This makes the most sense to me too. Kind of stretch out the middle and keep the end the same as much as you can.

I have a theory, lots of growers are going by the seed company info, especially newbies how would they know differently. So then in the prime of flower production they cut off the nutes and basically starve the plant those last 2 weeks. Maybe the stress of that improves the trichs? I don't know.

All I know is that the test buds I kept trying, starting a month before harvest for all my strains, ranged from blah to not too bad right up until the last week or so, the difference was exponential and happened in a matter of days. And there's nothing worse than going through all of this and ending up with 'gee I thought it would be better than this'. I should know, I went through it twice before I finally learned.

Bandit and I both did the darkness almost by accident, and neither of us noticed any changes. I did 4 days for Lucy and 5 for the Bubba Kush. But I had watered them the day before. If I did it again it would be at the end of the watering cycle, not the beginning.

Have you guys seen this? It's not too early to start thinking about your dry & cure and if you don't have Cal III hygrometers they are well worth the money, about $20 including shipping on ebay. I'm posting this now so you have plenty of time to save up :)

This is from Thinkerr on SS's last thread.

this is what -------- has been posting for curing ----------

It's a very simple and effective process:

Cut the product, trim it per your preference, but don't dry it until the stems snap. Take it down while the stems still have some flex, but the product feel dry on the outside. This is a perfect opportunity to drop the dry-feeling flowers onto a screen and collect prime-quality kief that would otherwise get lost in the jar.

Jar the product, along with a Caliber III hygrometer. One can be had on Ebay for ~$20. Having tested a number of hygrometers - digital and analog - this model in particular produced consistent, accurate results. Then, watch the readings:

+70% RH - too wet, needs to sit outside the jar to dry for 12-24 hours, depending.

65-70% RH - the product is almost in the cure zone, if you will. It can be slowly brought to optimum RH by opening the lid for 2-4 hours.

60-65% RH - the stems snap, the product feels a bit sticky, and it is curing.

55-60% RH - at this point it can be stored for an extended period (3 months or more) without worrying about mold. The product will continue to cure.

Below 55% RH - the RH is too low for the curing process to take place. The product starts to feel brittle. Once you've hit this point, nothing will make it better. Adding moisture won't restart the curing process; it will just make the product wet. If you measure a RH below 55% don't panic. Read below:

Obviously, the product need time to sweat in the jar. As such, accurate readings won't be seen for ~24 hours, assuming the flowers are in the optimal cure zone. If you're curing the product for long-term storage, give the flowers 4-5 days for an accurate reading. If the product is sill very wet, a +70% RH reading will show within hours. If you see the RH rising ~1% per hour, keep a close eye on the product, as it's likely too moist.

:peace:

Hey WeednFeed I'm jumping on late but I found a seat and it's fun to watch you and Mr. Krip roaring down the stretch together. Sisco and I did it last time, it's great to have someone to compare notes with.

You sure have a lot going on here, beautiful looking girls!

This makes the most sense to me too. Kind of stretch out the middle and keep the end the same as much as you can.

I have a theory, lots of growers are going by the seed company info, especially newbies how would they know differently. So then in the prime of flower production they cut off the nutes and basically starve the plant those last 2 weeks. Maybe the stress of that improves the trichs? I don't know.

All I know is that the test buds I kept trying, starting a month before harvest for all my strains, ranged from blah to not too bad right up until the last week or so, the difference was exponential and happened in a matter of days. And there's nothing worse than going through all of this and ending up with 'gee I thought it would be better than this'. I should know, I went through it twice before I finally learned.

Bandit and I both did the darkness almost by accident, and neither of us noticed any changes. I did 4 days for Lucy and 5 for the Bubba Kush. But I had watered them the day before. If I did it again it would be at the end of the watering cycle, not the beginning.

Have you guys seen this? It's not too early to start thinking about your dry & cure and if you don't have Cal III hygrometers they are well worth the money, about $20 including shipping on ebay. I'm posting this now so you have plenty of time to save up :)

This is from Thinkerr on SS's last thread.

this is what -------- has been posting for curing ----------

It's a very simple and effective process:

Cut the product, trim it per your preference, but don't dry it until the stems snap. Take it down while the stems still have some flex, but the product feel dry on the outside. This is a perfect opportunity to drop the dry-feeling flowers onto a screen and collect prime-quality kief that would otherwise get lost in the jar.

Jar the product, along with a Caliber III hygrometer. One can be had on Ebay for ~$20. Having tested a number of hygrometers - digital and analog - this model in particular produced consistent, accurate results. Then, watch the readings:

+70% RH - too wet, needs to sit outside the jar to dry for 12-24 hours, depending.

65-70% RH - the product is almost in the cure zone, if you will. It can be slowly brought to optimum RH by opening the lid for 2-4 hours.

60-65% RH - the stems snap, the product feels a bit sticky, and it is curing.

55-60% RH - at this point it can be stored for an extended period (3 months or more) without worrying about mold. The product will continue to cure.

Below 55% RH - the RH is too low for the curing process to take place. The product starts to feel brittle. Once you've hit this point, nothing will make it better. Adding moisture won't restart the curing process; it will just make the product wet. If you measure a RH below 55% don't panic. Read below:

Obviously, the product need time to sweat in the jar. As such, accurate readings won't be seen for ~24 hours, assuming the flowers are in the optimal cure zone. If you're curing the product for long-term storage, give the flowers 4-5 days for an accurate reading. If the product is sill very wet, a +70% RH reading will show within hours. If you see the RH rising ~1% per hour, keep a close eye on the product, as it's likely too moist.

:peace:

Glad to know you BlueDog and thanks for stopping by! Your compliment is appreciated, as is all that great advice. With bud being in season I was reading around on harvesting and curing when I saw your post... nice timing.
Good company you keep with sisco and Mr. Krip.

At your mention I looked up the Cal III and couldn't find a cross word on it. Small, accurate, convenient and fast. Ideal for the task. The Acurite's I'm using are very nice, but not as fast reacting or as small as the CAL, and it'll fit in a jar. Thanks!

I liked your piece on sampling throughout the last month... very interesting and very good control. I was going to wait till around jar time to try it, but now you went and installed a grand idea in my gourd. Hmmm.
Hash will be made from the Producer's clippings and I'll press a few buttons if I'm lucky. I don't know if I'd get enough from the two plants in the DIY... any thoughts on that?

As you said, I too would only do the dark thing after the water cycle. I realize that process may be tempting fate (especially on my first grow), but I'm committed to learning all I can about producing quality. Though that would only be done providing I can control the environment properly. BCNL's recommendation also includes putting R/O pH adj ice cubes in the res during that period.

I can't thank you enough for the great info on curing. It became an instant bible for me. That answered a good number of questions on my mental list.

Well thanks again BlueDog! I'm not only pleased that you stopped in, but also very thankful that you took the time to leave all that great knowledge in your wake.

Hey, I just noticed those stars up top. Was that you xlr8?

If so... here's your change:

I'm humbled and grateful. Thank you.

You're welcome - you've done a great job with this journal. Keep the change! :thumb:

HiWeednFeed, this is looking absolutely amazing,
I salute you:bravo:
:Namaste:

Hey Bass, Thanks for the great compliment and keeping an eye out! :Namaste:

And me! You should have two votes! :cheer:

Thanks Krip! My apologies. I don't even know where to look to have seen that. :laugh: I just noticed they were up there.

So much time is spent learning how to grow that I still haven't found my way around here well enough... and now with all the new features! :hmmmm:

Week 5 finds the Producer doing it's job well. All plants are growing well with no problems. I'm still tweaking blower timing a bit, but have it pretty much dialed in without having to leave it on constantly. On 20/off 15 is working. Odor is quite strong in the room but not out of it.
PPM's are reduced from 1400 to 1100.

Just a reminder:
Sensi Bloom A&B
Big Bud
VitaBoost Pro
Carboload
Hygrozyme
Cal/Mag +

Environment:

Room
RH - 52/42
T - 72/64

Producer
RH - 56/48
T - 75/64

DIY
RH - 49/37
T - 75/66

DSC_0913.JPG

DSC_0919.JPG

DSC_0924.JPG

DSC_0923.JPG

DSC_09886.JPG

I'm particularly happy with this White Widow. It's first root just touched the res today. It surprised me that it flourished so well with all of it's roots within a 3x3 cube. It's about 16" tall... full and strong. I'm very glad I listened to you guys about not bailing because of the weak ones. They've all turned out strong. Amazing, as they were totally horizontal and emaciated from the cloner pump failure.

DSC_09954.JPG

The mutant just keeps getting more dense. If it goes the distance, I'll be drying it individually in a dehydrator to be safe. This one may need taxidermy.

DSC_09722.JPG

DSC_09914.JPG

DSC_09773.JPG

Week 6 for the Euforia in the DIY. Started with Overdrive today.

DSC_09261.JPG

DSC_0929.JPG

DSC_09321.JPG

DSC_09581.JPG

DSC_09552.JPG

DSC_09462.JPG

DSC_09652.JPG

DSC_09452.JPG

DSC_09391.JPG

DSC_09351.JPG

The moms are ripe for culling clones but it's not quite time for them yet. I'll trim tomorrow and hopefully they'll time well with cloning needs.

DSC_0909.JPG

When I began my grow I decided that I would wait until things were set to cure before trying any. BlueDog put a bug in my ear about that decision. I caved yesterday by taking a little bud off about half-way down. I selected one that had some colored hairs and placed it on top of the Producer for the day, turning it frequently until it seemed to have the correct moisture content. Several hours did that trick. Then it went into my crucible of love (*ong). Took two draws. Little-to-no taste or odor. I was expecting something moderately green, chlorophylled, nitrated and crappy in flavor. I got none of those. In fact I got next to nothing at all. Very bland experience.

About ten minutes of reading passed and I had nearly forgotten that I partook when it occurred to me that my face was numb. I thought, ok... maybe there's something here already. Cool. Sat back and got back into my book and in short order my extremities felt an excitation. Cooler. It was then it occurred to me that Fyodor Dostoyevsky was not going to cut it.

Now I'm starting to feel like I took rather than smoked something. Cooler turned to Holy Shit rapidly. I wasn't high... I was narced. Being a consumer for nearly 40 years and having had the good fortune of smoking some really fine bud all over the world (no stranger to the coffee shops of ADam) I can safely say this was different. I won't say better than the rest, but I will say totally unique. This physical high was soon-after accompanied by a fantastically creative and motivating high. None of this "I'm going to sit here on the couch and make a plan to make a checklist to get up and maybe do something shit". No, this was a real artistic motivator!

I chose to direct what artistic talent I have remaining into making a great playlist and then commenced with creating a great big pot of Jambalaya. Four hours later I went to bed. With ease.

Imagining what this stuff will be like after maturity and curing is now my new hobby. I have three more of these seeds and have elected to guard them with my life. Regardless of it's reluctance in cloning I am committed to reprising it for motherhood. I will never be void of this strain for the rest of my days. Never thought I'd be saying that... especially early in the process.

Having had WW in the coffee shops, my eagerness is now renewed when considering what it may turn out like here.

Last night felt like a culmination of labor and love. My labor, your love. I am profoundly grateful to each and every person with whom I've had the distinct pleasure of acquaintanceship or merely having read your posts. You people have treated me with extraordinary kindness and have shared your knowledge with me freely. Throw those sensational vibes into a bowl with Euforia and Jambalaya and you might best understand how this has left me feeling.

If it all ends tomorrow... I'm fulfilled. I'm a lucky guy!!!

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

The mutant just keeps getting more dense. If it goes the distance, I'll be drying it individually in a dehydrator to be safe. This one may need taxidermy.
LMAO! :rofl:

When I began my grow I decided that I would wait until things were set to cure before trying any. BlueDog put a bug in my ear about that decision. I caved yesterday by taking a little bud off about half-way down. I selected one that had some colored hairs and placed it on top of the Producer for the day, turning it frequently until it seemed to have the correct moisture content. Several hours did that trick. Then it went into my crucible of love (*ong). Took two draws. Little-to-no taste or odor. I was expecting something moderately green, chlorophylled, nitrated and crappy in flavor. I got none of those. In fact I got next to nothing at all. Very bland experience.

About ten minutes of reading passed and I had nearly forgotten that I partook when it occurred to me that my face was numb. I thought, ok... maybe there's something here already. Cool. Sat back and got back into my book and in short order my extremities felt an excitation. Cooler. It was then it occurred to me that Fyodor Dostoyevsky was not going to cut it.

Now I'm starting to feel like I took rather than smoked something. Cooler turned to Holy Shit rapidly. I wasn't high... I was narced. Being a consumer for nearly 40 years and having had the good fortune of smoking some really fine bud all over the world (no stranger to the coffee shops of ADam) I can safely say this was different. I won't say better than the rest, but I will say totally unique. This physical high was soon-after accompanied by a fantastically creative and motivating high. None of this "I'm going to sit here on the couch and make a plan to make a checklist to get up and maybe do something shit". No, this was a real artistic motivator!

I chose to direct what artistic talent I have remaining into making a great playlist and then commenced with creating a great big pot of Jambalaya. Four hours later I went to bed. With ease.

Imagining what this stuff will be like after maturity and curing is now my new hobby. I have three more of these seeds and have elected to guard them with my life. Regardless of it's reluctance in cloning I am committed to reprising it for motherhood. I will never be void of this strain for the rest of my days. Never thought I'd be saying that... especially early in the process.

Having had WW in the coffee shops, my eagerness is now renewed when considering what it may turn out like here.

Last night felt like a culmination of labor and love. My labor, your love. I am profoundly grateful to each and every person with whom I've had the distinct pleasure of acquaintanceship or merely having read your posts. You people have treated me with extraordinary kindness and have shared your knowledge with me freely. Throw those sensational vibes into a bowl with Euforia and Jambalaya and you might best understand how this has left me feeling.

If it all ends tomorrow... I'm fulfilled. I'm a lucky guy!!!

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Dude, I can't tell you how great that is to hear and how happy I am for you!
:welldone:

Although, I'm not sure I'd put the Jambalaya in the same bowl with the Euforia. I have a "different" bowl for the Euforia! :laughtwo:

It sounds like you have something really special there, and it's even more special that you grew it yourself in a room you built yourself! :bravo:

I can't wait to see how the next few weeks progress for you!
:cheer:

Great news Bro! Nothing like hitting 'holy shit' on the stoner meter and looks like you're headed into the 'holy fucking shit' range soon :cheer:

Did you sample the ww or the euforia?

My ww clones have me pretty concerned, they more or less stopped growing over a week ago and I'm not even 3 weeks into 12/12. Hope I don't end up with a bunch of 8 inchers, do they stretch late in your experience?

Thanks and keep it rocking my friend!

Hi Weed! Pretty awesome to hear that you had such a good sample bud. Sounds like a bit of a creeper, which are fun. I grew some Snow White (related to White Widow) that was good creeper weed - and holy shit strong. The kind of stuff where you go from - "huh, I'm not really high" to "oh wow I can feel the hair on my head, the socks on my feet and my face is numb!" Sounds like you've got a winner there! Oh yeah, was it WW or Euforia? I was confused by your post as to which you sampled...

I have to admit, I'm watching your Euforias with interest - if they are as good as they look I'm putting it on my seed list.

Looking good my friend! :bravo:

Great news Bro! Nothing like hitting 'holy shit' on the stoner meter and looks like you're headed into the 'holy fucking shit' range soon :cheer:

Did you sample the ww or the euforia?

My ww clones have me pretty concerned, they more or less stopped growing over a week ago and I'm not even 3 weeks into 12/12. Hope I don't end up with a bunch of 8 inchers, do they stretch late in your experience?

Thanks and keep it rocking my friend!

Thanks Blue! Wouldn't have gone down that road yet if it weren't for you. Instigator. :laugh:

Well I can't imagine the quality going backwards so you're right, you'll probably be listening my HFS's soon enough.

It was Euforia from the DIY cab. Left plant.

I'll look forward to stopping by your grow and seeing them. Bear in mind I can only offer an opinion coming from the perspective of a beginner in a box. In my "experience" I can say they were consistently even, slow & low growers. I flowered early so most vertical growth has been 12/12. At this stage, nearly all the growth appears to be occurring in the center of the plants with buds from top to bottom. Thinking about losing some fan leaves soon.

Hi Weed! Pretty awesome to hear that you had such a good sample bud. Sounds like a bit of a creeper, which are fun. I grew some Snow White (related to White Widow) that was good creeper weed - and holy shit strong. The kind of stuff where you go from - "huh, I'm not really high" to "oh wow I can feel the hair on my head, the socks on my feet and my face is numb!" Sounds like you've got a winner there! Oh yeah, was it WW or Euforia? I was confused by your post as to which you sampled...

I have to admit, I'm watching your Euforias with interest - if they are as good as they look I'm putting it on my seed list.

Looking good my friend! :bravo:

Thanks kindly X! It was Euforia from the DIY, left plant... sorry for the confusion. Born of my elation no doubt. I forgot to mention it was trippy too.

Creeper it was. Slow in and out. Predominantly it was a head-high with busy-body afterburners. I wouldn't make a personal recommendation of it just yet, but so far it's been a beautiful and easy plant to care for with excellent early potency and apparently descent yield. Please save your money until I get you a solid smoke report in the end. It's a thing with me not to recommend anything I don't have extensive experience with.

Thank you again for everything my friend! :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom