Greenthumb J's BCNL Producer Grow - 800w DWC - First Grow Ever! Multi-Strain

Re: Greenthumb J's BCNL "Producer" Grow. 800w DWC - First Grow Ever! Multi-Strain

I own one of the lush lights and I will never use hps again. I also own a top led and it does awesome. The best thing is how much u save not only electricity but nutrients too, I use half as much than needed under hid. As far as temps the lights run cool but you still need cool air intake cause they heat the particles in the air.

Re: Greenthumb J's BCNL "Producer" Grow. 800w DWC - First Grow Ever! Multi-Strain

I just need a taller grow space so i can efficiently use the HPS lighting. some of my buds in the grow box are foxtailing because of the light they are getting. plus the air cooling in the light housing isn't really that great, it needs to be better for sure

Kushington Farms uses Lush Lighting Dominator 2x and Lumenator 2x to light his grow area and has excellent harvests.

@Kushington Farms

Finished Plants 100% LED Grown

SO i got home from work this evening and the sativa is not looking very well. Very wilting leaves. I gave it a very low feeding, basically a flush this morning. Just some Aquashield and some Calmag with the water at a PH of 5.6. It looks like the signs of over watering. Which is strange since this plant has been in DWC its whole life. I took a peek under the 5gal lid and sure enough the water is pretty much at the net pot. Much higher level of water than i've ever done. Cant imagine how this happened tho. Maybe too stoned and too little time before work? no cant be the time, i changed the res at like 1030 and left for work at 130. Probably way too stoned. Or, since i was using fresh clear water, i didn't really notice how full the bucket was. Oh well, you live and you learn right?

i'm tired so i will post some pictures tomorrow when the lights are on. i will also remove some water from the 5gal DWC bucket in the morning.

And I know, I have seen his journal on his finished plants over and over again. They look ridiculous! all 4' or taller, and i'm no expert, but i would say easily 12 zips a plant or more from the smaller ones? Easily more with the larger plants.

I went all in LED and resold them at a HUGE loss, the biggest loss was the yields I got that year.
Seriously? I knew it, all the people promoting these LEDs, is an uneven comparison. I've been selling LEDs for aquariums for going on 7 years. And I know for a fact I can't grow sps or any hard corals under LEDs, PROPERLY. I have to use HID, plain and simple to get quality corals. The led corals just don't grow as fast or as lush. This equivilant watt thing should be abolished. This is a 250w led..... Not a 400 like there labeled as haha
Sorry if anyone disagrees, this comment is directed to one like minded person. Not meant to start a lighting war lol

Cheers everyone!

Also green thumb, what are your water temps? From the pics I seen last it don't look like nute burn. Looks like pythium from high temps. I had a real problem keeping my water temps below 70f.
And tell the little lady to simmer down, $50 a month is nothing compared to the amount of quality smoke you'll be producing soon. Here its 17 cents /kWh. For all my gear, 1300watts +/- costs me about 75$ a month to grow. Up here 10 grams go for 60-80$ all I gotta do is stay above that and what is there to complain about? Hahahha

I checked the water temps with my hand, very cool to the touch.. I dont have a thermometer on hand, but i would say about 20 degress? maybe less. I just came from the lake and the water res feels about the same temp.. cold. SO i'm going to say water temp isnt an issue. The water level actually went down from last night, so the plant is still taking in water, and i have to say the upper, newer growth doesn't look as wilty anymore, as the water levels have gone down.

I have never filled water this high in the buckets before, so i'm thinking this is my culprit. We will see how she does in the next few days, and whether or not i can find another problem that could be the issue with my wilting leaves. Last time i had a Pythium issue, my leaves started turning yellow and looking sick. these are just wilted and feeling leathery, like i've read is a symptom of over watering. It would be a shame to lose this plant i have been maintaining for like 4 months!

I cant figure out why its happening, the White Widow beside it looks just fine, and its getting the same recipe. The Sativa is just not doing well since i let her dry out.

The leaves do have some nute burn that i just haven't removed yet. not going to do a defoliation until the plants stop stretching in flower.

checked the clones as well, and so far i have seen none that have rooted.. i will continue to monitor their progress. Might try to make a mini bubble cloner to see how that works. I enjoy to tinker with this and that every so often haha

I checked the water temps with my hand, very cool to the touch.. I dont have a thermometer on hand, but i would say about 20 degress? maybe less. I just came from the lake and the water res feels about the same temp.. cold. SO i'm going to say water temp isnt an issue. The water level actually went down from last night, so the plant is still taking in water, and i have to say the upper, newer growth doesn't look as wilty anymore, as the water levels have gone down.

I have never filled water this high in the buckets before, so i'm thinking this is my culprit. We will see how she does in the next few days, and whether or not i can find another problem that could be the issue with my wilting leaves. Last time i had a Pythium issue, my leaves started turning yellow and looking sick. these are just wilted and feeling leathery, like i've read is a symptom of over watering. It would be a shame to lose this plant i have been maintaining for like 4 months!

I cant figure out why its happening, the White Widow beside it looks just fine, and its getting the same recipe. The Sativa is just not doing well since i let her dry out.

The leaves do have some nute burn that i just haven't removed yet. not going to do a defoliation until the plants stop stretching in flower.

checked the clones as well, and so far i have seen none that have rooted.. i will continue to monitor their progress. Might try to make a mini bubble cloner to see how that works. I enjoy to tinker with this and that every so often haha

Any place that sells aquarium stuff should have the floating thermometers for $1.99. If your DWC temps are over 70-72, there is a risk of pythium. The higher the temperature, the less ability the water has to hold oxygen... and it doesn't matter how much air you put in the res. Just because the one sitting next to it is ok, doesn't mean conditions are the same in the next bucket. Check your root mass. The first sign of root disease is leaves droopy and curling under, the next sign is leaves yellowing from the bottom up.

I haven't seen the pictures yet but I'm hoping it was just too high PPM. Remember sativas need a lower PPM.

More about dissolved oxygen levels:
I doubt you have and root problems, but the reason I mention it here is because temperature in DWC is SO IMPORTANT. I bought a DO meter and did some very thorough tests. The end results? We cannot compensate for higher water temperatures by adding ANY type of oxygenation method. Fluming, pouring, air stones, venturi; they all oxygenate the water, but even all at the same time, they can't achieve the same DO level as lower water temps.

Any place that sells aquarium stuff should have the floating thermometers for $1.99. If your DWC temps are over 70-72, there is a risk of pythium. The higher the temperature, the less ability the water has to hold oxygen... and it doesn't matter how much air you put in the res. Just because the one sitting next to it is ok, doesn't mean conditions are the same in the next bucket. Check your root mass. The first sign of root disease is leaves droopy and curling under, the next sign is leaves yellowing from the bottom up.

I haven't seen the pictures yet but I'm hoping it was just too high PPM. Remember sativas need a lower PPM.

I doubt you have and root problems, but the reason I mention it here is because temperature in DWC is SO IMPORTANT. I bought a DO meter and did some very thorough tests. The end results? We cannot compensate for higher water temperatures by adding ANY type of oxygenation method. Fluming, pouring, air stones, venturi; they all oxygenate the water, but even all at the same time, they can't achieve the same DO level as lower water temps.

Great article you wrote.... of course I have something to add :)

When I ran a swimming pool in Arizona I used a sprinkler head to cool the water. I was able to reach my target temperature of 76 degrees in weeks where the air temperature never fell below 100 degrees at night with evaporative cooling from the sprinkler and pool surface. The waterfall in the pool had much less effect even though it splashed at least 50 times the water sprayed: by the sprinkler.

I will test it before growing, but I am hoping a sprinkler in a reservoir will provide adequate water cooling for capn style grow without a chiller.

Do they make inexpensive water thermometers with 24 hour min/max recording similar to the air thermometers available at the big box stores?

i'll PM you the link to the post with the pictures as well as some more pictures i took before i leave for work right now. I checked the root mass again.. smelled it.. it smelled like earthy roots like they have always smelled throughout the grow, not anything funky. They're still stained from the subculture M mycos that is a straight black powder fungi, but other than that it looks the same as it always has. the plant is still taking in water.. shes on a light flush right now then i will kick in with the nutes again, but at lower levels.

anyways off to work.. i will do a full update later, or tomorrow.. the GWS in the box is almost ready to go.. the other plants probably next sunday at the latest. But this sunday i have to have them all out, box cleaned and ready for a new run cause the tent comes Tuesday AND i get the lights and ballasts and timers and fans and filter on thursday!

If you are interested in a 24 hour temperature/pH/ppm meter here is one you may like.

Hanna pH/TDS/Temp Monitor - Perfect Gardens

That looks like a useful meter from a company that had been around awhile.

The owner's manual says clean/soak ph probe weekly, soak tds probe monthly, recalibrate monthly.
Is that truly required, or is cleaning and calibrating every month or two sufficient?
I'm not thinking of the time, just how much solution I would have to buy/store and remember to use.

The owner's manual says clean/soak ph probe weekly, soak tds probe monthly, recalibrate monthly.
Is that truly required, or is cleaning and calibrating every month or two sufficient?
I'm not thinking of the time, just how much solution I would have to buy/store and remember to use.

Very good point Rado.. I know how much PH buffer 7.0 and TDS 1000 buffer solution run at the hydro store. if this system needs constant maintainence this frequently, the cost to operate this could be costly. I wonder as well if the system actually needs calibration as often as it states.

When I use my pH meter and PPM meter I re calibrate them every 2 weeks to keep them accurate. The accuracy of a meter will degrade over time and require re calibration.

When I use my pH meter and PPM meter I re calibrate them every 2 weeks to keep them accurate. The accuracy of a meter will degrade over time and require re calibration.

I calibrate my meters every 2 weeks or so myself. Reminds me that I'm due for a recalibration!

Okay everyone! its harvest day tomorrow. i've seen lots of journals where people do a light defol a day or two before harvest to make trimming easier/quicker. Not me, i'm not going to disturb my babies for the next 24+ hours until I chop. I actually think i'm going to turn the lights off and give them an extended darkness period, see how that does.

i'll have a full fledged update tomorrow with loads of bud pics!

I've also seen a few tutorials/threads on cannabutter making, but i have yet to see anyone use my method that i do. Most people extract with boiling water/melted butter, but i find you degrade the potency of your butter when doing this. So i will post a link to a thread i am going to make real soon, on my method of making cannabutter. I actually did a quick write up on Greensmurfs White Widow journal, if anyone wants to take a look.

happy Shatterday everyone!

Looking great Greenthumb! Good luck in your harvest tomorrow!!!

And I know the feeling of neighbors watching you bring in loads of wood and growing supplies. Im just remodeling my room.........

Thats why I made sure to have a huge outdoor garden this year. Why would I grow inside during the summer?!?!:)

Did you get your tents yet?

Back
Top Bottom