Greenthumb J's BCNL Producer Grow - 800w DWC - First Grow Ever! Multi-Strain

Did you get your tents yet?

I did not. I am picking up the 8'x8'x6.5' on Tuesday, setting up Wednesday, picking up my 2 cool tube reflectors, ballasts, timers and bulbs on Thursday. Setting up Thursday night and Friday morning and hopefully have it up and runnin by Saturday with all kinks worked out by Sunday.

Great article you wrote.... of course I have something to add :)

When I ran a swimming pool in Arizona I used a sprinkler head to cool the water. I was able to reach my target temperature of 76 degrees in weeks where the air temperature never fell below 100 degrees at night with evaporative cooling from the sprinkler and pool surface. The waterfall in the pool had much less effect even though it splashed at least 50 times the water sprayed: by the sprinkler.

I will test it before growing, but I am hoping a sprinkler in a reservoir will provide adequate water cooling for capn style grow without a chiller.

Do they make inexpensive water thermometers with 24 hour min/max recording similar to the air thermometers available at the big box stores?

That is very strange. I do the exact same thing with sprinklers on my ponds, only it has the opposite effect by warming up my ponds in spring. More contact with the warm air helps warm the water, unless the air is cooler then the water.

The style your talking about for dwc and sprinklers sounds a lot like flooming. I also been using this technique in ponds for years to add oxygen instead of running massive air pumps. 9000 gallons total my ponds are, so the size of a small pool.

Unless I totally missed what ya said lol. Sounds like a good plan to me. I also found having air blowing across the top of the water will help cool, but evaporate a lot more.

I'd like to know how greenthumb is keeping his rez cool with high temps inside the box like that. My air temp always matched my water temp doing dwc. Unless I added frozen pop bottles every 4 hours. Must be the massive airflow the box has, heat is getting sucked out before it can get down low.

To be fair I just stuck my hand in my warmest aquarium, felt cool to me. Checked temp its almost 80f. Felt cool because its almost 100f in the gurage. Guess cool is what your comparing it to.

Cheers

I've also seen a few tutorials/threads on cannabutter making, but i have yet to see anyone use my method that i do. Most people extract with boiling water/melted butter, but i find you degrade the potency of your butter when doing this. So i will post a link to a thread i am going to make real soon, on my method of making cannabutter. I actually did a quick write up on Greensmurfs White Widow journal, if anyone wants to take a look.

happy Shatterday everyone!
I make butter every week! What is your method id love to try it.

I dont boil my butter water mix, I keep it under 200f.

That is very strange. I do the exact same thing with sprinklers on my ponds, only it has the opposite effect by warming up my ponds in spring. More contact with the warm air helps warm the water, unless the air is cooler then the water.

The style your talking about for dwc and sprinklers sounds a lot like flooming. I also been using this technique in ponds for years to add oxygen instead of running massive air pumps. 9000 gallons total my ponds are, so the size of a small pool.

Unless I totally missed what ya said lol. Sounds like a good plan to me. I also found having air blowing across the top of the water will help cool, but evaporate a lot more.

I'd like to know how greenthumb is keeping his rez cool with high temps inside the box like that. My air temp always matched my water temp doing dwc. Unless I added frozen pop bottles every 4 hours. Must be the massive airflow the box has, heat is getting sucked out before it can get down low.

To be fair I just stuck my hand in my warmest aquarium, felt cool to me. Checked temp its almost 80f. Felt cool because its almost 100f in the gurage. Guess cool is what your comparing it to.

Cheers

I am actually doing nothing for water temperature control. It stays rather cool actually. I would say around 18-20°C. At canopy level my hygrometer reads around 28°C in flower. On top of my DWC lid it reads about 4-5° cooler, and the negative air pressure in the box keeps the hot air flowing out

I make butter every week! What is your method id love to try it.

I dont boil my butter water mix, I keep it under 200f.

I use a double boiler method. I did a quick write up in Greensmurfs White Widow journal but will do a full article tomorrow after harvest

Meters recalibrated today! PH pen was only off by .1. Adjustment made!

So i think i figured out my problem with the sativa. Actually i think my GF figured it out. Last night she asked me if the 5gal bucket i am growing them in are big enough for the roots to grow. Root bound you say? Its res change right now for the sativa and as i pull out the root mass, sure enough it looks like the roots are starting to circle around in the bucket, and getting root bound. WTF? Root bound in DWC? i've never read anything like this, only in soil grows.

I'll shoot TheCapn a PM with this revelation as we've been trying to figure out why my sativa is looking like crap. Just did that!

Okay, so its chop day.. i'm going to make the GF and me some french toast and bacon, then we shall proceed to harvest our very first crop together!! hopefully she cheers up a little!

WOW! what a long day its been here over at Greenthumb J's apartment. Got all the plants out and trimmed, box cleaned, scrog back in, and plants hanging from scrog net. The GF helped with the whole trimming process. We went one plant at a time, until she got the hang of it.

So without further ado:

Heres my grow box after the chop:
GEDC03832.JPG

And then all cleaned out with a 15% bleach to hot water mixture. All air stones and hoses were soaked/are being soaked in a bleach cleaning solution:
GEDC03842.JPG

Lets start with the White Rhinos:

These plants produced the largest colas and was the most vigorous in vegetative growth (i'm not including the sativa, which was uncontrollable). I really wish i had a cut of these, or a large plant in veg like my Widow, and instead of the Sativa. The one thing i didn't like was how close they ended up getting to the glass housing and the HPS's intensity. This cause some serious foxtailing in some of the colas. lets get to the Pics:
GEDC03492.JPG
GEDC03502.JPG
GEDC03512.JPG
GEDC03521.JPG
GEDC03552.JPG
GEDC03542.JPG

GEDC03531.JPG
GEDC0356.JPG
GEDC03593.JPG
GEDC03603.JPG
GEDC03612.JPG

Alright, now on to the 2 Widow Plants. these actually ended up producing more than i had expected. I'm hoping for a decent dry weight of at least a zip to 2 zips. When i chopped the Right side DWC, this widow plant was caked up for sure! would have been interesting to see what another week or two would have done for it! next run i will let them go a little longer for the more couch lock stone, as well as to let the buds frost up even more.

Heres the pics:
GEDC03623.JPG
GEDC03791.JPG
GEDC03802.JPG
GEDC03872.JPG
GEDC03883.JPG
GEDC03923.JPG
GEDC03932.JPG
ry/data/500/GEDC03634.JPG[/img]
GEDC03642.JPG
GEDC03652.JPG
GEDC03663.JPG
GEDC03673.JPG
GEDC03683.JPG
GEDC03702.JPG
GEDC03713.JPG
GEDC03723.JPG
GEDC03732.JPG
GEDC03782.JPG
GEDC03771.JPG

I have a ton of photos from chop day, but those are the majority of the good ones. I have a few here of the Great White Shark that pollinated itself. A seed actually fell out while i was hanging it to dry in the grow box.
Pictures to follow:
GEDC03753.JPG
GEDC03743.JPG

GWS is in the front of the box between White widow on the left and White rhino on the right. Also if you look closely, i have 2 sativa branches that are very premature, but should sitil
GEDC03952.JPG

GEDC04075.JPG

Anyways.. I'm tired as FUCK! can barely keep my eyes open.. Damn it was a long day!

Oh.. It looks like i'm going to have 6 clones that root.. Perfect! 4 for the grow box and 2 to veg for 2+ months while the current large plants flower in the tent. Yay for eveything coming together@!

Goodnight everyone!

WOW! What a great harvest! That white widow has some massive colas! Good job with that green thumb!

Thanks Guys! It took me and the GF much longer than i had anticipated. I mean i knew it was going to take a long ass time. I helped a friend trim an outdoor crop about 6 years ago, and we harvested a good 30+lbs. Took us the better half of a week using a mechanical trimmer.. the Magic Trimmer, you know those hand cranked salad spinner looking trimmers? even with two of those, 30lbs took almost a week to get into the drying room.

This was no 30lb harvest for me haha I'm hoping for a couple zips, but i'm hoping for a lower number so i'm not disappointed with a bit higher number that i dont reach.

My Clones are looking like they are about to take off and sprout mad roots. Gotta get all my shit this week.. its going to be an expensive week since i got some bills to pay as well as 2 air cooled HID set ups (with ballast) to buy for $200 each as well i need to make a run to the hydro store and stock up on nutes and rockwool grow cubes and pots for my Capn-Style endeavor!

Thanks everyone for the kind words, likes and reps! I will keep everyone posted on whats going on here while we wait for the stuff to dry and i can give everyone a smoke report!

:thanks:

WOW! What a great harvest! That white widow has some massive colas! Good job with that green thumb!

Thanks C1,

My next run with widow clones will be awesome. Different pheno than the ones I flowered out. I'm going to top and bend these ones to get as much yield as I can from the 4 I will run in the box.

Thanks Toker!! and thank you kindly for the reps! Once i am up and running with a few different spaces, i would like to try making my own fem seeds.. You can bet your ass i will be all over your threads!!!

Thank you kindly John! It was quite the learning experience i can say that.

I will be sure to send you a link to my next upcoming journal!

thank you for the reps as well!

Went and bought the tent today as well as ONE of the HID setups. Got a 6" cool tube reflector, 600w ballast, 24hr timer and the yo yo to hang it. Friday I will get the second light set up (reflector, ballast etc.) hoping to have enough money to pick up the inline fans and carbon filter.

Will post some set up pics tomorrow of the ten assembly.

That is all. Good day everyone!

Back
Top Bottom