Bruce Banner Marries A Watermelon - SIP Grow

Ok just got into the tent with the uni-t meter and I’m going to leave the lights at 100% as on average it puts the ppfd at 960. It does peak at 1198 but it also has a minimum value of 658, but this is on the outer most edge of the watermelon.

I will probably spread the lights a little later today or tomorrow so that I can get a better edge to edge average.

IMG_2273.png

I’ve been thinking about the issues that I’ve been having and I want to cancel out the chance that it’s PH related.

I had thought that I do not need to PH as I’m using ProMix HP, but after doing some reading, it looks like if you have low alkalinity in your water, regardless of the ph, then you don’t need to PH it.

So I looked up the public reports on my local water makeup and this is what I’m seeing:

CHEMICAL ELEMENT SYMBOL MAXIMUM MINIMUM AVERAGE
Silica SiO2 11.4 7.6 9.8
Aluminum Al 0.15 <0.01 0.04
Calcium Ca 42.1 25.6 31.7
Magnesium Mg 6.3 0.6 2.7
Sulfate SO4 34.4 19.7 25.6
Chloride Cl 38.0 18.2 26.5
Iron Fe 0.01 <0.01 <0.01
Manganese Mn 0.02 <0.01 <0.01
Fluoride F 0.92 0.26 0.75
Sodium Na 22.5 11.2 16.6
Total Alkalinity 83 45 60
Total Hardness (EDTA) 128 62 91
Total Residue 187 132 158
Hydrogen Ion Concentration pH 9.27 8.01 9.05
Combined Chlorine Residual NH2Cl 4.5 2.3 3.8
Phosphate PO4 0.90 0.75 0.85
Nitrate NO3-N 1.34 0.23 0.85

Formatting didn’t really carry over, first number is max, second is min, and third is avg.

So on average my water has 60ppm total alkalinity. I really have no idea if that’s low or high alkalinity, but judging by the rest of the numbers there it looks high.

So I think I’m going to start PH’ing my nutes down to 6.0 and see if that helps.

My leaves are still yellowing dramatically from the bottom fan leaves and working up.

I think I had several items that I thought I was doing correctly and wasn’t.

I think I slow rolled the nute schedule, coupled with slamming them with lights. When I really should have been above the recommended nute schedule based on the ppfd I was giving them.

Hopefully I can stop the plants from consuming themselves for nutrients with some small adjustments.

So next steps are to pump the nutes to 6g/gal at a minimum and to ph to 6.0

I’m going to do that for the next 7 days and see how the ladies look this time next week.

Day 41 and day 3 of flower:

First day of PH’ing nutes to 6.0 and fed them 6gr/gal to fill their reservoirs.

Over all they look healthy and continue to grow. Though as I mentioned previously I think I was too light on their feedings and they look a lighter shade of green overall than they should.

I’ve also attached some pictures of the spotting, yellowing and dead ends that all 3 plants are experiencing.

Hopefully adjusting PH and increasing nutes will help.

Day 42 and day 4 of flower:
No major changes one way or the other, I will look at this as a positive thing for now :)

They look really pale green under my lights even at 25% power so I grabbed a couple with the lights off, which might not be super representative of them either but the view straight down on them looks really pale green.

Topped of the reservoirs this morning and will make up another batch of 6g/gal.

I also moved up the lights just a tad to keep them closer to 912ppfd and 39.61 DLI.

That’s it for now. Really hope to see them make the turn for the better soon!

Feed them ladies they look a bit hungry!

For sip do you follow Hydro or soil PH guidelines?
Yeah I have upped their nutes as that’s what it looks like to me too. If by the end of the week they are not looking happier I will increase by another gr/g

As for the ph thing, I guess technically promix is a soiless media so maybe I should be aiming for lower than I am thinking…

I’ve tried to read up on it with not a ton of luck. Back to the googles for me then hahaha

octopots recommend for their system it says to keep the ph between 6.3 – 6.5 , I’m sure its similar with most sip buckets
Interesting. Well I will keep an eye on them and see how they progress.

My tap PH has been wildly up and down. Like 7.2 - 8.4 so not sure what’s up with that!

What kinda promix you running?
HP - I was really excited to use it but so far it’s been a little difficult to get dialed. They started off great, then I started having issues and I’ve not been able to get them back on track yet. And I am trying to not make too many changes at once and too fast. Trying really hard LOL

Interesting. Well I will keep an eye on them and see how they progress.

My tap PH has been wildly up and down. Like 7.2 - 8.4 so not sure what’s up with that!
Mine too. I'm on a well from the 60s normally 8.5 but I had seen it much lower during a big drought last summer.

So I just check every time I crack open a 5 gal bottle. I have to go-to well 100yd away to fill 4- 5gal jugs every other day or so. Keeping these arms in shape!

Everything I read says to treat it like Coco.

The ideal pH for the Cannabis in Coco is between 5.8-6.0 in the Vegetation stage (for high absorption of Nitrogen) and the Flowering stage needs 6.0-6.2 (as its essential for Potassium and Phosphorus intake) pH to sustain proper nutrient levels.

Seen this digging around
Promix is also used as the base for Doc Buds high brix method - which basically involves mixing a bunch of amendments into the medium, and then using a few bottled nutrients as supplements after that.
So it can be turned into a more complete soil. As is it’s more of a hydroponic medium.

Did you add anything to it?

I didn't know much about nothing as mentioned prior

So a sip plant is in media, with roots hanging in water/nutrient solution?

Is there ever a time where it's dry?

It is the reservoir always full?

How does cleaning and maintenance work?

Do you need to have fancy bubblers and such?

Do you monitor temps of the solution?

Sorry.
Just trying to get some ideas.

Everything I read says to treat it like Coco.

The ideal pH for the Cannabis in Coco is between 5.8-6.0 in the Vegetation stage (for high absorption of Nitrogen) and the Flowering stage needs 6.0-6.2 (as its essential for Potassium and Phosphorus intake) pH to sustain proper nutrient levels.

Seen this digging around

Did you add anything to it?

I didn't know much about nothing as mentioned prior

So a sip plant is in media, with roots hanging in water/nutrient solution?

Is there ever a time where it's dry?

It is the reservoir always full?

How does cleaning and maintenance work?

Do you need to have fancy bubblers and such?

Do you monitor temps of the solution?

Sorry.
Just trying to get some ideas.
None of that. Treating it like soil except I feed every watering.

I didn’t add anything to it when I started with it.

Reservoir is not always 100% full though I do fill them daily. The media on top slightly damp so don’t think it’s an underwater issue.

None of that. Treating it like soil except I feed every watering.

I didn’t add anything to it when I started with it.

Reservoir is not always 100% full though I do fill them daily. The media on top slightly damp so don’t think it’s an underwater issue.
I know when I leave pre mix nutrients for a day or two, the pH sways a bit, next day it will be about .5-.8 higher.
You should test the pH in reservoir. The day after you feed.

Day 43 and day 5 of flower:

I did a full flushing of all three plants yesterday with about 2 gallons per plant. Then I top fed to about 1/3 their reservoirs and then filled the reservoirs with 6gr/gal.

I just wanted to get reset on the Promix, or close to a reset.

They were nice and perky this morning when I peaked in on them and they seem happy now as well. Hopefully they start to look a little healthier and make nice buds for me :) hate to go through all the trouble to only grow good looking schwag hahaha

Day 44 and day 6 of flower:

It’s kind of hard to tell in the pictures but I do think that they might be starting make a change in the right direction as far as coloring goes. I’m thinking the flushing, top feeding, upping their nutes, and ph’ing might have helped.

Only time will tell at this point. They are still growing and I think this weekend I will get in a do a small defole on them. Also clean up the leaves that show sever cal/mag deficiencies so that it is easier to see any new signs of that.

Fingers crossed I am on the right track with them!

Back
Top Bottom