Bruce Banner Marries A Watermelon - SIP Grow

Ke0ncp

Here we go for my second grow journal and first SIP grow. Hopefully a little smoother than my first grow :)

So here are the details:

Strains: Bruce Banner, Wedding Gelato and Watermelon.

Grow Tent: 4x4x6

Lights: Viparspectra PS2000 x 2 daisy chained

Media: Pro-Mix HP

Nutrients: Green Leaf Nutrients MegaCrop

SIP Method: 5 gallon buckets with the GrowBucket inserts

Temperature: 1500w small indoor heater controlled by an Inkbird ITC-308 to keep temps at or above 70° (78° until seeds sprout), grow room door open or window cracked to keep temps below 80°.

RH: Veg: 55% Flower: 45% - small room humidifier controlled by an Inkbird ICH-200-WiFi

Ventilation : 2 x Vivosun 4” inline variable speed at full for extraction and 1 4” inline intake fan.

Circulation: 3 x VIvosun AeroWave E6 oscillating fans

Lighting Cycles:

Seedling: 18/6, Lights at 50% and 16” above canopy.

Veg for 4 weeks: 18/6, lights at 75% and 16” above above canopy. lux/ppfd/µmols goal:

Flower for 8 weeks: 12/12, lights at 100%, as close as the plants can handle.

IMG_1818.jpeg

Strain Details:

Bruce Banner #3 - weed seeds express

Type
: Feminized Photoperiod, Hybrid: 50/50

Lineage: bred by Jason Holck of Dark Horse Genetics (aka OG Ironlung) by crossing Strawberry Diesel with OG Kush

Flower: 60 - 65 days

Feelings: creative, energetic, euphoric

Negatives: dizzy, dry eyes, dry mouth

Helps with: stress, depression, pain

Size: 39” - 47”

THC Level: 27%

Wedding Gelato - Royal Queen Seeds

Type
: Feminized Photoperiod, Hybrid: 40% Sativa 60 % Indica

Lineage: Wedding Cake x Gelato x Gelato 33

Flower: 60 days

Feelings: giggly, aroused, sleepy

Negatives: dizzy, dry eyes, dry mouth

Helps with: anxiety, stress, bipolar

Size: 24” - 39”

THC Level: 25%

Watermelon - Royal Queen Seeds

Type
: Feminized Photoperiod, Hybrid

Lineage: Unfortunately, nobody knows! The genetic background of Watermelon remains shrouded in mystery; an anonymous breeder created her somewhere in a secret garden and never claimed credit for their masterpiece. Read more here:

Flower: 49 - 60 days

Feelings: sleepy, relaxed, hungry

Negatives: dizzy, headache, dry eyes

Helps with: stress, anxiety, pain

Size: 32” - 51”

THC Level: 22%

All three strains were hand selected by the Mrs with the main purpose of making edibles to help with daily stress/anxiety with a little saved over for more traditional methods and to share with friends of course. Hopefully the watermelon doesn’t go short and the banner doesn’t go long.

I am really excited about doing SIP with this grow as my last grow I think I under watered pretty much the whole grow. So let’s see how it goes. Feel free to put your feet up and watch me stumble my way through this grow.

Here we have my SIP grow buckets set up and ready to go:

IMG_1860.jpeg

I dropped the seeds into some water with a squirt of h202 and will soak them for 24 hours and then will put them right into the buckets. I will follow Emilya Greens method of watering a seedling in its final destination. And then once established I will start with SIP, I might ask for some guidance on when to start with SIP.

IMG_1863.jpeg

IMG_1861.jpeg

IMG_1862.jpeg

I am also want to keep a closer watch during flower to make sure I have enough airflow across the plants as I got hit with mold on my last grow. I am not sure if it started during flower or during the hang.

My plan initially is to update this journal 2 times a week or as needed. Should be a fun grow this time around and I am excited to do a SIP grow.

Here is the tent all set and ready to go before I dropped the seeds into water

IMG_1859.jpeg

Lights are now off and tent is holding at 78° for the next 24 hours. Once they are in the buckets I will turn 1 light on at 25% so I can actually see what’s going on. Once they pop I will follow my lighting schedule as outlined above.

Here we go!!

IMG_1863.jpeg

Thanks! I have always been horrible with cable management, in all of my hobbies…. I have a good friend who is a stage manager and does big tours and stuff who yells at me every time he sees my ham shack LOL so I made a conscious effort to keep it tidy. Will tidy up more once thing progresses in the tent a little more.

A SIP grow?!? Count me in. :thumb:

And then once established I will start with SIP, I might ask for some guidance on when to start with SIP.
It will be pretty obvious as you will see the plant suddendly take off as long as there is some water in the reservoir. Just don't keep too much in there to start.

A SIP grow?!? Count me in. :thumb:

It will be pretty obvious as you will see the plant suddendly take off as long as there is some water in the reservoir. Just don't keep too much in there to start.
Glad to have you along @Azimuth

I wasn't really planning on keeping any water in there at all until I switch from top watering/feeding to SIP. Sounds like maybe it might be better to add some water so that they have to opportunity to use it once they are ready to?

Cant' wait to see them nugs bro! I need to get me some seeds :D Sucks being disabled and limited on purchasing power :/

I wasn't really planning on keeping any water in there at all until I switch from top watering/feeding to SIP. Sounds like maybe it might be better to add some water so that they have to opportunity to use it once they are ready to?
Some water will find its way down there thru the normal course of watering but I'd keep it minimal until she does catch. Give it just a very little for the first week or two like you're planning and by then she'll be able to handle a bit more.

Once she catches you can be as generous as you want. I usually only give as much as they'll drink in a day or two at that point but some sippers like to keep the reservoir topped up. You'll find what works for you as you try it different ways.

Ok so they soaked for 24 hours and they are now in the soil. I have turned off all extraction fans, all but one circulating fan that is on its lowest setting, and I left the intake fan alone.

I did spray the tops of the entire surface of the soil down as this HP likes to suck it up and allows much more drainage than the FFOF that I used previously. That’s why I turned all the fans down to try and slow any evaporation. I also added the humidifier in as well. It’s inkbird will get delivered today so I can control that a little more. I also turned the lights completely off and will check them in a the am to see if there is any action :)

I also read the newbie thread on how to use these forums and now I can actually embed my images correctly woot woot! :woohoo:

So I think some changes need to be made to the grow tent set up. Currently I have 1 4” intake fan that has no speed control and 2 4” inline filtered variable control speed fans.

I have ordered the Vivosun growhub along with a 6” inline exhaust as I want to have some added functionality.

The problem I am seeing now that I have this inkbird to control humidity is that I can not achieve 60% rh in the tent with the humidifier at 100% and only the 4” intake fan running and both exhaust fans off, which obviously won’t work once the lights are cooking at full blast. With just this 1 intake fan I am seeing a ton of positive air pressure, again this is not ideal once these things start to get some aroma going on :)

So I am thinking once the 6” exhaust gets here of having that controlled by the growhub to help keep the overall growing conditions in the tent where they should be and then use 1 variable exhaust as the “cooling” mechanism for the heat control inkbird and the other as a constant on as an intake at the lowest setting.

My thoughts are that this will keep a constant fresh air intake into the tent without pushing too much air to create the positive air pressure.

Then can fine tune it to try and keep the slightest bit of negative air pressure to help reduce escaping smells.

Am I thinking about this correctly? Or do I just get more humidifier going?

Once this GrowHub gets here I might just run it with the 6” inline to control the VPD and see how that flys.

Ok I made a quick change to the tent and removed the intake fan that I was using and replaced it with an inline with a filter that is pushing fresh air into the tent, but now I can control the speed on it. So I can maintain proper RH for the moment.

I’m sure this will change once my new intake and GrowHub gets here. But for now I can hit the 60% rh mark pretty easily and maintain it.

Fed them for the first time with .5g/gal of MC.

Back
Top Bottom