Bruce Banner Marries A Watermelon - SIP Grow

So very much like brewing. I think I have all of my local water info in a spreadsheet around here somewhere.
So many rabbit holes to travel
Thanks for the info I will take a poke around the google and see what kind of premade calculator I can find and mess around with it.
The one I use we can't talk about but it would be abbreviated with the same initials as Halle Berry and the first word is a prefix meaning water. It's free from the developer's website but has a bit of a learning curve.

Day 32 / day 2 of transition:

Well I got in the tent, leveled out the canopy, thanks @Greengoodness for the 2x4 idea.

Canopy isn’t perfectly even but it’s close enough! And lights are averaging 1092ppfd across the canopy with a max of 1158ppfd and a min of 989ppfd. Lights are now at where @ViparSpectra recommends of 13” from the top of the canopy, give or take :)

Also was able to do a little cable management now that everything is in its place for the most part.

Excited to watch these ladies stretch a little!!

Also I have not noticed any new signs of any deficiency or imbalance of any kind so I am going to stick with my 4.5g/gal for all watering and a full dose of cal/mag every other. It seems to be working so I will just go with that until it doesn’t :)

Why not bring the PPFD down into the 700 range and give yourself some room to go up in flower? No way you will lose veg growth at 700.
I was thinking the same thing actually. I’m going to see what kind of numbers 75% looks like as a turn of the knob is easier than raising and lowering lights.

Why not bring the PPFD down into the 700 range and give yourself some room to go up in flower? No way you will lose veg growth at 700.
Good comment. Many new growers are trying to push numbers in veg when it's in no way needed. When you've tried using different light intensities and checked for plants response you know you're out of luck following recommendations. They just want to show high numbers for marketing.

It's in no way optimal or needed to run a high intensity LED fixture at full power in a grow tent in veg, that's very contra productive. Save your plants from stress and save your money on electrical costs are my recommendations. Plants won't grow faster with higher intensity in veg. You only need enough to stop undesired stretch.

For reference I checked my own light distance currently during veg. My plants are happy at 40" from the canopy dialed down to 250w. I use 100 of those watts just for heating the grow tent.

Back in the day we vegged well under 250w CFL with great structure and internodal length in a 4x4. That's not even half of what a modern 100w LED fixture puts out in usable light.

Day 33 / day 3 of transition:

Pulled the lights up a few inches this morning to get an average of 680ppfd, a max of 754, and a min of 563. These readings were taken from various spots across the canop. I think it’s about as close as it’s going to get to 700.

Fed them another 1.5 gallons this morning of 4.5g/gal and a full of cal/mag.

They seems to be adjusting to their new light cycle just fine :)

Day 35 / transition day 5:

Cruising right along. I’ve noticed some serious yellowing of the very first node of fan leaves on the Watermelon, so I cut them off. Pictures in the picture dump below.

Didn’t water yesterday and ended up watering the Watermelon almost a full gallon and the other 2 just short of that today. Right until water started to come out of the drainage on the side.

I’ve been maintaining a 1.10 vpd according to the 69pro so that’s nice.

They are most certainly growing and starting to go more vertical thank before. I think they are happy with there the lights are at the moment.

That’s about for now. Time for some pictures.

When the lowers start yellowing it's often a sign the plant is moving stored nutrients around so if you haven't solved the nutrient shortage that's causing them to shift stuff, it'll just start taking what it needs from the next set up.

When the lowers start yellowing it's often a sign the plant is moving stored nutrients around so if you haven't solved the nutrient shortage that's causing them to shift stuff, it'll just start taking what it needs from the next set up.
And that's one of the reasons i leave the ugly leaves on the plant until she drops them herself (or at least nearly so).

Day 35 / transition day 5:

Cruising right along. I’ve noticed some serious yellowing of the very first node of fan leaves on the Watermelon, so I cut them off. Pictures in the picture dump below.

Didn’t water yesterday and ended up watering the Watermelon almost a full gallon and the other 2 just short of that today. Right until water started to come out of the drainage on the side.

I’ve been maintaining a 1.10 vpd according to the 69pro so that’s nice.

They are most certainly growing and starting to go more vertical thank before. I think they are happy with there the lights are at the moment.

That’s about for now. Time for some pictures.

Nice, you can already tell they're bouncing back nicely. Great job

Day 38 / transition day 8:

Things are starting to progress. Watermelon starting to stretch a bit, they all are but more noticeably with the watermelon.

Also I think I am seeing the first signs of bud sites but then again it could be new leafs that are just kind of waspy looking. All of the ladies are showing pistols where you would normally sex them.

I will keep an eye on the waspy sites over the next day or 2 and see what they turn into.

Other than the previous issues I had with spotting, those leaves are looking pretty rough now, and the extreme yellowing of leaves they seem to be going pretty strong. Once I do a defole I’m am most certainly getting ride of those funky looking leaves so that I don’t have to stare at them for the entire grow hahahaha

Day 39 and day 1 of flower:

Ok Im calling this day 1 of flower as all of the tops are starting to show signs of flower on all 3 plants. And lots of pistols at the nodes through all three as well.

Mixed up a 3 gallon batch of 6gr/gal of MC and topped them all off. Looking at the color of them I think they all need a little more than the 4.5-5g/gal that I’ve been giving them, which is why I made the step up to 6gr/gal, which also happens to align with their recommended feeding schedule. The Watermelon is drinking her reservoir daily at this point. The other 2 drink about 3/4 of their reservoirs.

I also pumped the lights from 75% to 100%, which might be a bit much at this stage. And now that I think about it I will probably back that down to 75% again. TBD once I get back into the tent with the meter and see where they are sitting.

I have also been thinking of making up a circuit so that I have more variable control over my light settings instead of just 25% power steps. This might also allow me to hook up to my 69pro but that’s not going to happen during this grow. Lots of planning and research to do on my part to see if I can make this happen with my rudimentary electronic and soldering skills hahaha.

Well I think that about sums it up for now. Keep on SIPn’

Back
Top Bottom