Bud candy

Johnny5thesim

Hi,

I’m hoping some people can give me some advice. I’m using advanced nutrients ph perfect line. And I’m looking at adding bud candy for flowering. Has anyone done a comparative grow with it? Anyone hate it? Or swear by it?

I’d love some feedback!

Try using the search bar, and see if there are any Grow Journals that use it. I'm gonna be using it, but that's a few weeks out yet. I also use Grandmas Black Strap molasses too, as it works in a similar way as Bud Candy. I find it brings out a little more flavor in the Fruity strains.

Years ago when I worked at a grow/hydro store it was a popular product among those who ran the advanced line. That's not going to help you a ton, but it's some info. I think you'll find those who use it will swear by it. Those who don't, well, you only know what you know.

It's one of those additives that cost enough that you'd like to understand what value it brings. Id try a search here to see who runs that line and maybe find some good info there....

Good luck.

Try using the search bar, and see if there are any Grow Journals that use it. I'm gonna be using it, but that's a few weeks out yet. I also use Grandmas Black Strap molasses too, as it works in a similar way as Bud Candy. I find it brings out a little more flavor in the Fruity strains.

I did a search. And I see some people swear by it, and some people hate it. But I couldn’t really find any good comparative review of it!

I chucked bud candy after the taste of molasses was just as good or if anything better, 3/4 less on the price too.

I like your style. Find out what the product does. Find a cheaper alternative. Doesn't always work that way, but I love the mindset.

I did a search. And I see some people swear by it, and some people hate it. But I couldn’t really find any good comparative review of it!

Damn the luck. The only thing I've found elsewhere, looks like "click-bait/paid for advertising" for it. @higherthehigh has me rethinking my quest for it. I've used molasses for years, with great results, and I thought maybe the Bud Candy had some extra kick to it.

It would be great to find a user that has a smoke review as well.

Damn the luck. The only thing I've found elsewhere, looks like "click-bait/paid for advertising" for it. @higherthehigh has me rethinking my quest for it. I've used molasses for years, with great results, and I thought maybe the Bud Candy had some extra kick to it.

It would be great to find a user that has a smoke review as well.

Yeah, I’m not sure now. Ones like big bud, B52 etc, I can find folks that swear by and can show comparisons. Bud candy doesn’t seem to have the same info available.

Well, I came to the conclusion. It adds $15 to grow costs for each cycle. So I went ahead and picked it up. I don’t think it will make it worse. And I really want to do everything I can to really maximize this grows potential.

If I get any updates to this, I’ll post here!

I would never say not try it, we all need to do our own projects to see the outcome of course.

Iv went from growing in coco using 9 bottles of nutes to growing in organic soil using 3 at most and getting the same results, way cheaper and efficient in my eyes for myself but each to there own i guess :).

I am in week 4 of flowering Black Gorilla. I have had a great deal of trouble with pH since I switched to the flowering nutrients. I added Bud Ignitor, Big Bud and Bud Candy to the recipe. PH started dropping precipitously. It went to 4.5 at one point. I was using 10-12 mls of pH up per day in a 35 litre RDWC setup. I could only get it up to 5.6. The plants were suffering from nute lockout. Yellow, brown-spotted leaves with burned tips were popping up every few hours. It got very bad. Water changes didn't help. The roots turned brown but they weren't slimy or smelly. I use Voodoo Juice with every nute change (I just ordered Hydrogard - should be here on Monday!).
Yesterday, I changed the water and nutes. This time, I didn't add the Bud Ignitor, Big Bud, or the Bud Candy. I used water from a pristine local spring (80 ppm mag and cal, pH of 7.0). After adding the AN nutes, the pH was 6.3. I left it to see if it would drift down. It didn't. This afternoon, I added 1.5 mls of pH Down. pH dropped to 6.0. I left it all day. It is still at 6.0.
I will run an experiment on Sunday. I will add Big Bud by itself, and see what happens. I will be changing the water and nutes on Monday anyway, so if it causes problems, I can quickly resolve it.
By the way, I got a lot of bud sites on the plants, but the reservoir level was not dropping. The girls weren't drinking any water. The bud sites have hardly grown in three weeks. Of course, I blame the pH. If they recover, I'll just let them have 3-4 extra weeks of flowering before flushing. I'm in no rush.

Advanced Nutrients used:
Connoisseur Grow, and Bloom
Voodoo Juice
Sensizyme
B-52
Cal-Mag
Revive
No more Big Bud, Bud Candy, or Bud Ignitor.

We’ve got an app for this and his name is @bluter

I swear he could tell you how to run this even if nute labels were printed in Urdu…

lol. most things are pretty similar.

I am in week 4 of flowering Black Gorilla. I have had a great deal of trouble with pH since I switched to the flowering nutrients. I added Bud Ignitor, Big Bud and Bud Candy to the recipe. PH started dropping precipitously. It went to 4.5 at one point. I was using 10-12 mls of pH up per day in a 35 litre RDWC setup. I could only get it up to 5.6. The plants were suffering from nute lockout. Yellow, brown-spotted leaves with burned tips were popping up every few hours. It got very bad. Water changes didn't help. The roots turned brown but they weren't slimy or smelly. I use Voodoo Juice with every nute change (I just ordered Hydrogard - should be here on Monday!).
Yesterday, I changed the water and nutes. This time, I didn't add the Bud Ignitor, Big Bud, or the Bud Candy. I used water from a pristine local spring (80 ppm mag and cal, pH of 7.0). After adding the AN nutes, the pH was 6.3. I left it to see if it would drift down. It didn't. This afternoon, I added 1.5 mls of pH Down. pH dropped to 6.0. I left it all day. It is still at 6.0.
I will run an experiment on Sunday. I will add Big Bud by itself, and see what happens. I will be changing the water and nutes on Monday anyway, so if it causes problems, I can quickly resolve it.
By the way, I got a lot of bud sites on the plants, but the reservoir level was not dropping. The girls weren't drinking any water. The bud sites have hardly grown in three weeks. Of course, I blame the pH. If they recover, I'll just let them have 3-4 extra weeks of flowering before flushing. I'm in no rush.

Advanced Nutrients used:
Connoisseur Grow, and Bloom
Voodoo Juice
Sensizyme
B-52
Cal-Mag
Revive
No more Big Bud, Bud Candy, or Bud Ignitor.

first thing i'd say is there is alot going on in there. less is usually more in rdwc. where are your ec / ppm levels ?

the voodoo is useless in hydro, the ignitor is an add on and should be approached carefully, b-52, and revive are questionable at best ... i'm an AN refugee. they used to be good. i'll never go back.

if the base nutes alone don't run well and rock in any line, then drop the whole nute line.

next is get the ph control into the 5.8 range. aside from that it's a dart toss with no pics.

has anyone pointed you to this hydro diagnostic chart yet ?

full

there's a few resources like that around here that are good to have handy. :)

Thanks. That's great advice. I am questioning the AN nutes in general now too. Any recommendations on what I should be using?

I was expecting great things with this grow. It's the first time I have spent so much money on all the extras. It's been a nightmare for the last three weeks. The grow phase was awesome. Very dense, bushy plants, but they haven't grown since they started flowering.

I will check the pH again tomorrow, and bring it to 5.8. Right now I will leave it at 6.0 in case it starts to drift down overnight. So much for AN nutes and their pH Perfect claims!

I have never seen that chart before. I like charts like that. They simplify the process greatly.

I have a TDS meter that reads EC, but I don't know what EC levels I should be looking for. I'll search the site for a chart! I like charts.

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

I will check the pH again tomorrow, and bring it to 5.8. Right now I will leave it at 6.0 in case it starts to drift down overnight. So much for AN nutes and their pH Perfect claims!
The problems with Advanced Nutrients pH Perfect come up a lot. The product is designed to handle the pH levels and is designed to change the pH as needed without the grower having to be involved. The pH might swing higher or lower than what the gardener thinks it should but that is the process that AN built into the pH Perfect line.

If the grower tries to change the pH themselves it almost always starts the problem. The pH Perfect is designed to make changes as needed and to fix the change that the grower started. Then the grower then tries to fix the fix. The idea behind the product is that the grower no longer needs to worry about the pH or whether to make any changes.

The company's web site has a page explaining in detail how it all works but it will take some reading and following internal links to find it.

If needed then Advanced Nutrients has contact info for their offices in California or in Europe on their website.

Back
Top Bottom