Burning Lights on Cold Winter Nights

iffin i might chime in,, i had no hygrometer in my grow rooms up until very recently,, and i was surprised when i finally got one, that my veg room was running at less than 30 %, and likely had been since i started (not long ago). just saying because my plants did just fine anyway. once i found that i had low humidity i tried all kinds of ways, water everywhere, rags, bowls, spray all over,,, it did not make one bit of difference to the humidity levels, least not for more than a short time,, until i bought a humidifier,, that did the trick, and has a fan to blow some air around as well, a bonus.

i don't think one needs the absolute optimum conditions to still achieve reasonable results. of course, one can strive for optimum, and if ya get there,, good on ya. it's hard though,, as i am learning. every change and adjustment affects everything else,, a constant challenge, which is good, cheers

i sure would like to brag like heck at this point but i can't. my rooms are brand new,, just harvested my very first indoor plant, did it all wrong,, i have no stats on yield, just on apparent health of my young plants in the veg room. they have grown very nicely with 30% humidity. i have two plants just put to flower a week ago and i noticed a flower on one last night.

one thing about the humidifier, already, i have had it for three/four days, it need to be filled near every day,, a lotto water and running non stop on low boosts the rh up to about 60/70 or so, running non stop, in my tiny room.

one day i just might get there,, but i hope not,, the fun is in the journey,, cheers

Welcome. Looks like your in good hands. I'd recommend more cfls if possible I'm not a cfl grower but that could help keep temps more stable

Hey guys, I have my humidity issue fixed. I used Rubbermaid containers to cover the intake/exhaust fans ports, seemed to help the humidity. I am still hitting around 55F at night with lights off. Until now, this has been my only issue. But based on the support I have seen on my thread and the site.....I know a solution will be found.

The white widow has broke the soil, so I have two young ladies now.

image18628.jpg

- three days old

image18629.jpg

- broke soil today

* still can't get my pics to be correct. Sorry:(

Dchannn,
Curious what is the wattage of your CFLs?
I just bought the exact same humidifier you're using... how do you like it?
Oh.. I'm subbed! :)
:Namaste:

Subbed :) make sure you lightproof that box before you get to flower .. as it is, the spot where you have your computerfan, will leak, and it looks like the box will allow light through as well ... this is okay while in veg, but not so for flower .. unless you fancy seeds instead of flowers :p

- beateo- I hope you are well. I love the Vicks humidifier , I would make sure to keep a close in on your RH% at first. Until I learned to control it better, the RH jumped all over the place. I like the mist it puts out, I placed it in front of my intake fan( located on the lower container).i run mine for about 2/3 hours at a time. * let me know what you think about yours.*
- defo have a eye on your girls as well-

Planet J- thanks for the support. Any suggestions on how to keep it ' light tight'?
- lol I do not want seeds this time ;)

Not only are they low wattage, they are also the wrong spectrum. For veg you want 6500K, not 5000K. I am using 5x 45w bulbs @ 6500K for veg and 10x 23w bulbs @ 2300K for flower .. altho I always stick 2 flower bulbs between the veg lights, and one veg between the flower, to give a more complete spectrum.

Lightproofing is not really hard .. you could get alu-foil, wrinkle it and spread it again (this is to prevent hotspots) and then just glue it to the inside of the box. A few layers should prevent any light from getting in. The fan openings are a little harder ... either find some sort of ducting (like a vacuum cleaner hose that is wide enough or something like that) and attach it to the hole, bending it in an S shape to block light going in, or glue a lightproofed carboard box with an opening in the side, and orient that down, while gluing the box over the opening.

Most low tech solution would be to just put the box in a closet, and do not look in that closet unless it is lights on for the plants :p

Back
Top Bottom