Burning Lights on Cold Winter Nights

Agreed..somewhat. You can use those 14W (60W) 5000K bulbs for veg if you use like 20 of them, but I would def pick up the 100W equivalent bulbs. (The ones that use 23W of actual power). I'm in almost week 5 of veg and am using 8x 23W (100W) bulbs @ 5500K and my ladies are growing just fine. Then for flower, switch out to 23W bulbs @ 2300-2700K. You can pick them up on the cheap at your local Wally-Land, hardware store, etc. They're about 10 bucks for a 4-pack where I live. Happy farming!

agree, wallmart is the cheapest source around me,, 23 watt cfl's are shown to be the most efficient as far as lumen output, which is what one wants, lumens. and keep em close,, an inch away won't hurt the plant. and also a bit of a mix of daylight (2700k) and soft (6500k). a couple softs in amongst all the daylights in the veg room and a couple of daylights in amongst all the softs in the flower room, cheers

nivek,
I'm a little confused? When I asked what you're using you posted a 14W bulb. EXTREMELY under powered in my humble opinion.
23W are the smallest I use and I'm not really comfortable with those. The 23's put out 1600 lumens while my 42W put out 2700 lumens and the 55W put out 3800. I put the 23W bulbs in as supplemental lighting like hanging 3 vertical between my plants.... and once my plants are transplanted to their 5 gallon containers, I have a minimum of 300 Watts on EACH plant. When all of my lights are in use on the light bar I made there are several thousand watts equivalent on my girls! :) Maybe I overdo it?? lol
I have found that although 23W may be "technically" the most efficient, in practical terms I can do a hell of a lot better than those puny bulbs! lol I also found that mixing the color spectrums didn't seem to have any negative effects... I use 2700k, 5000k, and 6500k bulbs with the 6500's dominating veg. and the 2700k dominating flowering. Hope this helps~!
:goodluck: :Namaste:

not to be rude beateo, but you are a bit confused. that was not my reply about 14 watt bulbs,, i use 23's, almost exclusively,, only because that is where i am at right no with my new growing experience. although i do use some 14.s in my clone and sprout area.

and i do mix the spectrums, although that is a work in progress as well,, cheers beateo, and great info, thanks

nivek... no, I'm a LOT confused! lol That entire last post wasn't even meant to be directed at you... I have no clue why I put your name in there?? :)
It was meant.... hopefully... to help out Dchannn.. he's the one I asked about the wattage and he's using the 14's. I wanted to stress how really, really underpowered I feel those are. Sorry about my confusion everyone.

Not trying to derail, but wanted to send some thanks to Nivek and Beateo. I'm going to be mixing up my CFL's when I get home tonight! I currently run 8x 23W 5500K's for veg. Going to make it 6x 5500 and 2x 2700 now and vice-versa for flower. Will see if that makes for happier ladies! :thanks:

cheers bubba, glad i could be of some help, though if you took my one post literally, you would be messed up.. i said daylight (2700k),, that should be 6500k of course, and i said soft (6500k) ,,, that should be 2700k.

soft = 2700k
daylight = 6500k (can be 5000k too, maybe 6500 is best but 5000 works so far for some of mine anyway)

i really should be much more careful, sorry, cheers

You are quite welcome Bubba! We're always happy to help.
:Namaste:

Not trying to derail, but wanted to send some thanks to Nivek and Beateo. I'm going to be mixing up my CFL's when I get home tonight! I currently run 8x 23W 5500K's for veg. Going to make it 6x 5500 and 2x 2700 now and vice-versa for flower. Will see if that makes for happier ladies! :thanks:

image18827.jpg
image18826.jpg

Just an update

looking good,, good job to here,, looking like my babies,,

P1140490.JPG

they could be sisters,, cheers

nivek- they do look similar. What day is your young lady?

beateo- thank you good sir, I am still amazed and grateful to be a part of our community. Hope all is well for you.

Chief- I will defo check your grow out. I am not sure if this is your first "true" grow, but become a student of the plant and growing. I came to this site for one reason..... To be the best you must join the best. Good luck with your girls.

i have two planted the same day, jan 22. the other is a afghani,, the afghani has some stalk issues,, this be er,,

P1140500.JPG

i am giving it a leaning post,, the top leaves are so big it has a hard tome holding them up,, good luck with yer little one,, cheers

i have two planted the same day, jan 22. the other is a afghani,, the afghani has some stalk issues,, this be er,,

P1140500.JPG

i am giving it a leaning post,, the top leaves are so big it has a hard tome holding them up,, good luck with yer little one,, cheers

I have three afghani seeds in storage. I will for sure take a peek after I tend to my girls. Why do you think those leaves got so big that fast? I do like the creativity of your leaning post, kinda foreshadowing her caretaker after she is finished :p

Back
Top Bottom