Buttercream Gelato, LED Light, Soil, 1st Grow

hold off on the TS for now. mars has already ended that series. they are currently just selling old stock.

mars does not have a very long development cycle. at present they are more focused on the FC and SP series. the lower models may be based on that style in the future. they are probably moving to a chained rail type which is the SP architecture. the FC is a strip light, meant as the stand alone replacement for the TS.
Thanks for the tip. I am a month away from affording one anyway. I will look for the 2000 equivalent. I am guessing it will be around the £200 to £250 mark.

I need to think about odour control, before I can get light.

Thanks for the tip. I am a month away from affording one anyway. I will look for the 2000 equivalent. I am guessing it will be around the £200 to £250 mark.

I need to think about odour control, before I can get light.

they are still supporting the series, so not a deal breaker if you buy a TS. mars has a tendency to orphan stuff all the time though.

you might be able to swing a package through mars for a light and carbon scrubber with fan. they do packages with tents, so maybe one without a tent is possible. reach out to the online rep here.

a scrubber and fan will be essential.

the space you are in may have ventilation to outside set up already. that would be a big win.

phresh is my favorite. it's pretty much the industry benchmark.

i've done ok with some kitten brand scrubbers as well. really hard to trust off-brands sight unseen though. ive had friends buy scrubbers that spilled 3/4 of the charcoal through the mesh when lifted from the box brand new.

edit : i have some old scrubbers i keep around that can be recharged and / or repacked. a lot of new ones won't allow for it. the phresh i run is a cone paper tech so it's a toss when it's done.

spilled 3/4 of the charcoal through the mesh when lifted from the box brand new.
Funny you say that. The rhino hobby I got spilled a load out when I unboxed it. Don't think enough to make any real difference but that's the first time a filter has done that to me. Can-filters are good too. Had a Can Lite 150 in my cabinet for nearly 2 years now. Won't handle a full bloom plant anymore but still doing fine with veg plants.

Won't handle a full bloom plant anymore but still doing fine with veg plants.

you can recharge them.

soak for 30 min in a h202 / water solution, then bake at 350 for an hour or until dry (ish). i like them to sort of steam off the last bit while cooling. some skip the bath and bake straight. i usually did. the bath and bake will seriously rust the crap out of cheap ones lol :p

the bake will stink. it releases all the odour you captured in one fell swoop. so you kind of have to plan for it.

you can also buy charcoal and repack the things. i used to get better charcoal than most came with original. i'm hanging on to a couple old cans for just that purpose. more and more of the newer ones can't be unsealed to replace or repack. they just wanna sell a new one.

spilled a load out when I unboxed it.
I think that may be the difference between hobby and pro, there's got to be a different grade of carbon. Saying that, most drop a little.
I'm dreading replacing mine, it's a phat pro, been going 5years (6 months use,6 months not), it's gotta be on its last legs now. Phat has been bought out by phresh many years ago, that's how old my filter is. :thumb:

Downside to the can-lite as it's made of plastic. Probably best not stick it in the oven :laugh:

there's a diy to make filters from plastic jars / bottles. i built scrubbers for individual grow rooms that we ran in a larger lung room. individual rooms were scrubbed and exhausted in to the lung room. the lung room was scrubbed as well, and exhausted to outside.

we ran big in a semi-urban area for years. not one person knew til we shut it.

they are still supporting the series, so not a deal breaker if you buy a TS. mars has a tendency to orphan stuff all the time though.

you might be able to swing a package through mars for a light and carbon scrubber with fan. they do packages with tents, so maybe one without a tent is possible. reach out to the online rep here.

a scrubber and fan will be essential.

the space you are in may have ventilation to outside set up already. that would be a big win.
Ventilation only via a small window. It's a small ensuite bathroom. 8ft by 10ft or so. I have the whole use of it. The grow is in the unused shower cubicle.

Still in two minds as to whether I try and control the environment in the cubicle or room itself.

Really enjoying it. I wish I'd started back in March. UK Lockdown is a pain.

I like the idea of a deal for light, odour filter fan, and I could use the tent for my vegging tent. I'll be ready for perpetual.

Ventilation only via a small window. It's a small ensuite bathroom. 8ft by 10ft or so. I have the whole use of it. The grow is in the unused shower cubicle.

Still in two minds as to whether I try and control the environment in the cubicle or room itself.

Really enjoying it. I wish I'd started back in March. UK Lockdown is a pain.

I like the idea of a deal for light, odour filter fan, and I could use the tent for my vegging tent. I'll be ready for perpetual.

you can convert the window for ventilation easy. it's actually what we did on the larger grow. we did it stealth, no one knew it wasn't a window unless they were a few inches away.

you might have exhaust ventilation to outside if you have a washroom fan. but it's a might. most washroom fans only recirculate inside air. but many don't and exhaust to outdoor. it's for humidity control more than odour.

there are loads of converted shower grows. my flower space was originally a shower area that was never completed. it vents to outdoor- originally for the shower requirements.

I keep seeing Fox, any good?
I've had a nose, they ain't brilliant. They fall in the cheap cheerful bracket.
I noticed on the a*zon shopping site, you can get a rhino hobby filter for £9 more, I'd rather score the rhino.
Their fans are similar, not brilliant.
Have a look on eBay for a system air rvk fan, a 4" one costs about £50. That's a sound combo in the UK.

I keep seeing Fox, any good?
They're a budget UK brand. I have a fox filter in my DIY tent. Used it to dry my CBD harvest and it worked fine. Can't say how long it will last though. Got a fox 4" rvk type inline fan being delivered today.

Yeah tried a couple of DIY designs in the cabinets early days. Okay for veg but couldn't handle flowering. That's when I got the can-lite.

can be hard to make them big enough

i connected a few together for a closet grow. many many moons ago. worked great in flower. you have to have good charcoal, and build one big enough. we couldn't get a can in where i needed the filter, so made a really long one out of a bunch of mayo jars and a pvc tube lol :p

it worked for two years plus no troubles. something to do with the amount of air volume the surface area it's exposed to. we did have a proper extraction fan.

i actually wouldn't recommend it. it was a pain to build. but it did work.

edit : it was also insanely ugly.

Great stuff guys. Thanks for all the comments.

The ensuite does have a built in extractor fan, very weak and very loud. It's never used. But I could remove the fan and use the channel to outside.

Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom