Coco - Cree 3590 LED - OG Kush - THC Bomb - Kush Bomb - Cheese - Grow

Haven't had to address algae on my coco yet(only 2 runs with the coco). But I do get it almost all the time with some my perlite only pots. Go figure! Your grow is gonna rock.

StayFrosty
CanEyeBus

Do you leave your algae alone or do you get rid of it?
The internet seems split on whether it's harmful or not. I didn't like the way it looked. It's gross and it was growing fast.

I just finished the process getting rid of it. I dug it out, fed the seedlings nutes and sprayed a H202 solution on the coco.

Do you leave your algae alone or do you get rid of it?
The internet seems split on whether it's harmful or not. I didn't like the way it looked. It's gross and it was growing fast.

I just finished the process getting rid of it. I dug it out, fed the seedlings nutes and sprayed a H202 solution on the coco.

When I first started on my hempy journey..... Many many many moons ago :cheesygrinsmiley: Yea right! I despised the stuff and did everything possible to rid myself of it.
Dug it out and replaced perlite- too cumbersome and I'm certain I damaged some roots.
H202-worked quite well.
Covered the pot tops with either cut out paper plates or that black garden weed cloth- worked the best for my situation sog with 2 liter hempys. After all that I just leave it now. It's aesthetically unpleasant but not harmful to the girls IMO. If left unwatered,it'll die off. How often are you watering the girls? I understand for coco you can water as often as you like without fear of root rot or drowning your roots.

My take on it. This is jus speculative, but maybe you are overwatering them at this point. They are still seedlings, the coco does hold some moisture and you are in 5 gal smarties. They aren't drinking as much now. Their feet aren't settled in yet. Once the root explosion happens and they're settled in, they'll definitely require "more" water. Try letting the coco dry a bit on top on the outer edges. Water around where you think the root ball is forming. Not directly down the stem. There is a great thread here on watering. It's mainly for soil, heh I used the technique religiously for my perlite and coco hempys. I'll find it for ya. Actually, you did say you've already done away with it. :cheesygrinsmiley: guess I should've just left my response at the at the answer to the question you posed. Lol I'll still get the link for ya.It's a good read and makes logical sense.

StayFrosty
CanEyeBus

When I first started on my hempy journey..... Many many many moons ago :cheesygrinsmiley: Yea right! I despised the stuff and did everything possible to rid myself of it.
Dug it out and replaced perlite- too cumbersome and I'm certain I damaged some roots.
H202-worked quite well.

My take on it. This is jus speculative, but maybe you are overwatering them at this point. They are still seedlings, the coco does hold some moisture and you are in 5 gal smarties. They aren't drinking as much now. Their feet aren't settled in yet. Once the root explosion happens and they're settled in, they'll definitely require "more" water...

StayFrosty
CanEyeBus

I smiled when I read this because I'm sure I disturbed THC Bomb's roots when I was digging out the algae. I saw them. I didn't want to investigate further, and risk damaging them. Just covered her back up like nothing ever happened.

As for over watering. I totally and utterly agree. I read everywhere I shouldn't have done it and my dumb ass did it anyway. The discovery that CalMg was helping them made me water even more. Another lesson learned.

Hey Lifted,no worries. I think you are doing fine. IMO we need to "mess up" some in order to learn. She'll take pretty much any thing you can throw at her and recoup if given proper attention. You certainly are attentive, quickly observing a problem, set an action plan to remedy said situation.:thumb: lol sometimes we don't learn until we bump our heads. Or have to see it for ourselves. Hell, I'm still learning about this plant. Keep it pushin bro. You have the intestinal fortitude to do so, as well as the courage to seek help and knowledge. Happy 420! :cheesygrinsmiley:

StayFrosty
CanEyeBus

Day 22 Update - Teenage Mutant Ninja Kush

Day 20: 1gal. nutrient solution each.
1/4tsp FN Grow
1/4tsp Pro-Tekt
1/2tsp CalMg+
per 1gal. water

Day 22:
IMG_20160425_163457.jpg

Cheese and THC Bomb are chugging along. They are each putting out their 4th node now.

My kush babies? Different story. OG has been up and down, literally. She rises up after every feeding. Maybe linked to not enough calcium, again. She's putting out her 3rd node now.

My Kush Bomb looks fucked up. I think something is stuck somewhere. I see a bunch of leaves coming out but nothing really substantial. Could be mutated. I'm not really sure what's up with her.
Looking for input on whether or not it would be worth keeping her going forward, thanks.

IMG_20160425_162105.jpg

Cheese

IMG_20160425_162159.jpg

THC Bomb. She's been such a good girl.

IMG_20160425_163200.jpg

Kush Bomb. I just want to slap her and ask, "WHAT'S A MATTA YOU?!"

IMG_20160425_163259.jpg

OG Kush

Lifted what's good homie!? The girls have come along eh? :thumb: They look a lil pale. Well the cheese does just a tad. Those crees are going to demand they have sufficient nutes ....they will eat more. The photon count will demand it. It appears they are just getting their feet settled and are will be shooting out new roots and vegetative growth daily.
What ppms are you at?
As far as the mutant goes, Keeeeep 'er!!! Looks Like a science experiment.:circle-of-love: I love experiments. If you have the time and space to see what becomes of her. Some mutants become keepers.If she becomes a hassle over the next week or so, rid yourself of her and start another to take her place. The girls are just out of seedling stage and have yet to really get accustomed to being toddlers.:cheesygrinsmiley: I say give her a few days to week if you have the time.

StayFrosty
CanEyeBus

Lifted what's good homie!? The girls have come along eh? :thumb: They look a lil pale. Well the cheese does just a tad. Those crees are going to demand they have sufficient nutes ....they will eat more. The photon count will demand it. It appears they are just getting their feet settled and are will be shooting out new roots and vegetative growth daily.
What ppms are you at?
As far as the mutant goes, Keeeeep 'er!!! Looks Like a science experiment.:circle-of-love: I love experiments. If you have the time and space to see what becomes of her. Some mutants become keepers.If she becomes a hassle over the next week or so, rid yourself of her and start another to take her place. The girls are just out of seedling stage and have yet to really get accustomed to being toddlers.:cheesygrinsmiley: I say give her a few days to week if you have the time.

StayFrosty
CanEyeBus

I'm not measuring ppm. I have a TDS meter but I don't trust it. My tap water is around 200ppm. I leave it out overnight to dechlorinate it. I'm sure there's other additives like chloramine left behind. C'est la vie.

You're right she does look pale. I upped her dose the feeding before last. I noticed some nutrient burn so I cut down the nutes last feeding. She seems very fussy. My OG is even paler and she always seems to be recovery mode. I'm going to have to start mixing 4 different solutions soon. :(

As for my mutant. I will keep her. Just let her do her thing. It was a freebie seed I got with my THC Bombs. I really wanted to know if she was a lost cause but I've recently seen some grows with mutants who bare some pretty sweet fruit. I'll play that lottery. I'm not mad. Herbies hooked me up with all my seeds for free.

I'm going to top both Cheese and THC Bomb. My first time topping. I'm planning to mainline them both.
Any suggestions on what to cut them with? Really nervous about this but I have to try it to see how it works.

A clean pair of those garden scissors. Really sharp. Real cheap.$1.00 at the .99cent store.

StayFrosty
CanEyeBus

You mean the dollar store.:slide:
I dont have garden-specific scissors yet. I'll get them.

You seem to be the only one following along. If there was only going to be one person following my journal I'm glad it's you. I checked out your grows. You know what's up.
:thanks:and:happy-birthday:

I'm still following too. I'm just a few days behind. Lol...

If you haven't done the toppings already. I used a pair of suture scissors out of a first aid kit. Now I have pointed garden snippers, but make sure to sanitize whatever you use with rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide. This will avoid most infections. Goodluck...

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Day 27 Update - Roots

I've got roots busting through the sides and bottoms of the bags. This started happening a week and change ago. I thought they were little pieces of white thread that somehow blew into my tent, at first. Then they started showing more as they grew. This is happening with all my plants.
IMG_20160430_201813.jpg

Day 24
: 1/2gal. nutrient solution each

Day 27: 1gal. nutrient solution each(higher dose)
1/2tsp FN Grow
1/4tsp Pro-Tekt
1/2tsp CalMg+
Kush Bomb received normal lighter dose(1/4tsp FN Grow)

They're turning a more healthy green now. I'll be topping Cheese, THC Bomb and OG Kush at the 3rd node in preparation for mainlining.

IMG_20160430_201212.jpg

Cheese

IMG_20160430_201242.jpg

THC Bomb. The white spot was caused by sloppy watering.

IMG_20160430_201335.jpg

WTF Bomb(Kush Bomb)

IMG_20160430_201425.jpg

OG Kush. Looking a lot better than previously.

IMG_20160430_215836.jpg

Day 28 Update - Topped

I took some scissors wiped down with H202 and topped Cheese, THC Bomb and OG Kush at the 3rd node.
In a couple of days I'll be defoliating everything below the 3rd node and start some training.

IMG_20160501_095652.jpg

Cheese

IMG_20160501_095727.jpg

THC Bomb

IMG_20160501_095756.jpg

OG Kush

Day 35 Update

Day 31: 1/2gal. nutrient solution each.

Day 35: 3/4gal. nutrient solution each.
1/4tsp FN Grow
1/4tsp FN Bloom
1/4tsp Pro-Tekt
1/2tsp CalMg+
per 1gal. water

I've started bloom nutes because I'm going to flower them most likely around a week from now. I'm waiting for more growth on my OG Kush.
I'M NOT MAINLINING ANYMORE.
I'm just going to let them grow with two main colas. I didn't top Kush Bomb because I wouldn't know what to cut. :)
It's my first time. I want to observe and learn some more before I try "advanced" techniques.

IMG_20160507_162230.jpg

Cheese

IMG_20160507_162349.jpg

THC Bomb

IMG_20160507_162426.jpg

Kush Bomb

IMG_20160507_162546.jpg

OG Kush. I'm losing my battle against the algae, clearly.

IMG_20160507_162821.jpg

Notes:
3/4gal. water is the perfect amount for a full watering of my 5gal. Smart Pots
Inline fan and filter coming in 2.5 weeks

I found that if you "rake" the top centimetre of the soil frequently it will become and stay dry faster. This way the top little bit of soil is dry while the rest is normally moistened. Your pots will dry a little faster too, creating more all Important wet/dry cycles.

No moisture = no algae :thumb:

KiG (plants not topsoil:)) :green_heart:cheers

I found that if you "rake" the top centimetre of the soil frequently it will become and stay dry faster. This way the top little bit of soil is dry while the rest is normally moistened. Your pots will dry a little faster too, creating more all Important wet/dry cycles.

No moisture = no algae :thumb:

KiG (plants not topsoil:)) :green_heart:cheers

Thanks, man. It makes sense. I haven't noticed any ill effects from the algae though. I'll just leave it. As the plants grow, the algae light source will get cut out. I'm already noticing less and less of it. That, and I'm too chicken to dig up my soil again and damage my roots.

Back
Top Bottom