COorganics - No-Till Organic - 2nd No Till Run - Indoors - GSC Forum Cut

Right on Doc - I'm off to flush my outdoor organic raised beds, I think I spilled too much ACT on them yesterday...

Getting back on track here... Has anyone here tried top dressing Rabbit poop?? I bought some the other day cause I read and have seen gardeners use the stuff as a top dress and I'm under the understanding the rabbit poo organic matter is ready for uptake by the plants. I figured they feed the rabbits a lot of alfalfa so hey putting 1 + 1 = alafalfa in, poop out; alfalfa ready with other goodies for the girls!!

Cool part was the bag of poo had alfalfa grass sprinkled in with the little droppings.. that was a nice touch if it was on purpose!!

Cheers,
BB

I would compost it first (if fresh) then feed the finished compost to my worms, then top dress with the VC. Same story really, everything is much better pre-composted then added to a soil mix or for top dressing. (See nutrient cycling) If I had access to rabbit manure I would incorporate it into things in this manner.

I would compost it first (if fresh) then feed the finished compost to my worms, then top dress with the VC. Same story really, everything is much better pre-composted then added to a soil mix or for top dressing. (See nutrient cycling) If I had access to rabbit manure I would incorporate it into things in this manner.

That's what I thought too, I was reading about it and some folks treat the rabbit same as the worm and consider rabbit dropping same as worm castings... a lot of folks that have been doing outdoor organic veggie gardening think rabbit poo is like gold and top dress I've even seefolks plant tomatoes right in the rabbit dropping pile and move the rabbit cage to a new spot and grow right there in the droppings. I was wondering if anyone has had success with rabbit droppings with MJ?? I would think it's the same thing as worm castings from what I've read just another source of nitrogen slow release.

Here's my cited article I found on rabbit manure - I thought it was pretty cool the thing about 1 female rabbit and her offspring will generate 1 ton of manure in a year, yikes...they have to eat to poop, thats a lot of alfalfa!! Rabbit stew anyone??

THE BENEFITS AND USES OF RABBIT MANURE | Rise and Shine Rabbitry

Hey CO - try some of this on your ladies - coconut water from Wholefoods, I stole a can from my wife she drinks it all the time. Hey gimme gimme my ladies love coconut water. I usually go straight from the can but today I mixed with a gallon of RO water and watered 5 ladies.
WP_20150411_012.jpg

Timg]hese 5 :
WP_20150411_008_equalized.jpg

Hey there BB, care to share a pic of the label on that coco life bottle. I can't find one on the web, I looked. I wanted to see if it was processed, has preservatives. I'm guessing it does. I use the harmless harvest brand for enzyme teas if I'm lazy and don't feel like sprouting/puréeing seeds. Harmless harvest is the only brand I know of that is actually pure, raw young coconut water. I like to drink half and share half among my plants, with water, as a soil drench.

Thanks!
Now on to reading your rabbit poo link..

Interesting link there. I'm guessing we are as a group much further advanced at the organic gardening than this gentleman, based on the read. I would do exactly what I stated above if I had access to rabbit manure. That being said, try some fresh, report back to us on how it works. That would be great! I wish I had access to rabbit manure, it looks like some really nutrient rich manure I'd love to work with.

As far as rabbit poop being the same as worm poop, I have to disagree there. I think worm poop is borderline magical. The way worms excrete excess calcium from their guts into their droppings is fascinating. (See 2. Earthworms) Find worms and find rich soil with nice structure.

The big thing with worm compost is that the nutrients it contains are available to the plant, right now. I don't believe same is true of rabbit manure.

Hey, not dogging rabbit manure at all though. Not at all. Just saying I'd treat it as any other manure and compost it first then run the compost thru the worm bin.

Glad you dropped by man.

Edit: I found this which states rule number one for using rabbit manure, compost it first. Holy crap! The internet has conflicting info!!
Using Rabbit Manure - Hobby Farms

Great write up CO! While I'm not educated on all aspects of organic living soil, the points you made clearly state what the purpose of the SFW is. If you're not supporting a SFW, you are not growing organically. Even organic bottled nutes are created in a lab to be immediately available for the plant to uptake them. The SFW is non existent and there is no buffering. You'd still have to ph that garbage.

I've just stopped subscribing to threads that bad mouth OLS. As long as people don't do it on my thread, I'm better off to leave them alone.

I'd rather spend my energy helping someone who wants to learn the art of gardening than trying to convince someone who believes the holy grail can be found in a bottle (if that makes sense).

I've yet to see anyone intelligently convey the benefits of bottled nutes over OLS. Most of those conversations end up in a futile mess with the bottled nutrient guy saying something like this, "I grow the fire bro. I'll put my bottled weed up against your OLS weed any day. And my friends will too. We all use bottled nutes and our weed is the best sh!t in town bro. I can grow bigger badder plants in 1/2 the time you old farts can".

I think most people that take that stance are just out of high school and generally know it all. Most OLS growers just kind of giggle and move on lol.

Wow I just rambled in your thread. Sorry CO, I couldn't help myself.

You've got to remember there is also that group of people who come on here act like they've been growing for years when they've ghosted as a guest for weeks or months and are picking things up as they go along. The rest... well it's good to have diversity. I've grown by the bottle "organically" and conventionally. Though before that all I knew for 15 years was soil. I'm going to stick with what I know. Reduce my physical labour and expenses by 90% and IMO end up with a product that is 100% better ... not that it is. It's simply my view on gardening as a whole!

I think an explanation of what growing organically by the bottle means would be nice. I don't know that anything like that exists in real life.

I think of growing organically as embracing the soil food web, feeding the soil not the plant, etc. I don't know of any bottled organic based nutrient lines that don't function off chelation, bypassing the SFW.

Thanks for your opinion.

I think an explanation of what growing organically by the bottle means would be nice. I don't know that anything like that exists in real life.

I think of growing organically as embracing the soil food web, feeding the soil not the plant, etc. I don't know of any bottled organic based nutrient lines that don't function off chelation, bypassing the SFW.

Thanks for your opinion.

I placed the word "organically" in quotation marks because I agree with you. Maybe I should have placed more emphasis on that. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

WP_20150411_008_equalized.jpg

BB, this is beautiful. You should post it on Buckshot's Eyecandy thread. Seriously, the colors are lovely.

No worries my man. Hope I didn't come off rough there, I sometimes do. It's been an interesting night to say the least. I read past your quotes, yes. My bad.

Cool were on the same page with that.

No worries my man. Hope I didn't come off rough there, I sometimes do. It's been an interesting night to say the least. I read past your quotes, yes. My bad.

Cool were on the same page with that.

Ahhh the intricacies of the Wide Web. It's a bastard that tone of speech is one thing that is not passed in translation when typing things out. I didn't take it as rough. I just wanted to be sure you knew what I meant. All good mate!

COorganics, I use coconut water that I buy from Sprouts (kind of like whole foods).
100% coconut water, no sugar, preservatives, pulp, etc. Just the water.

COorganics, I use coconut water that I buy from Sprouts (kind of like whole foods).
100% coconut water, no sugar, preservatives, pulp, etc. Just the water.

I looked it up (the sprouts stuff) and it says it's minimally processed, which means to my knowledge, your not getting the enzymes for your plants that you probably think you are. If your buying coconut water in a bottle to use for enzymes (cytokinins) the label should read raw, unprocessed, in addition to 100% pure. I only know of the one brand (harmless harvest) that is really all raw young coconut water, unprocessed.

Apparently in larger metro areas you can buy the young coconuts by the case and crack them open and use the water fresh out of the coconut. I can't get them here.

I'm gonna look into this more tomorrow. Find my source of info there and share it.

Did you finally mix some up, sweetleaf? Cool!
Go to build a soil web page and read blog. Or
YouTube: "Adam Dunn show organic IPM"

Unfortunately not yet, but I'm getting backed into a corner and I am going to have to do it asap. I have about a million plants that need to be re-potted. I won't buy more supersoil, I won't buy more supersoil.

In the meantime, and due to my past run-ins with nefarious critters, I just want to be sure when I repot these plants, that my IPM is on point before I move anything over. I don't want to buy all the stuff mix everything and wait a month for it to cook just to screw it all up by not have an IPM system working.

Thanks for the direction! I will check those out today :)

Back
Top Bottom