COorganics - No-Till Organic - 2nd No Till Run - Indoors - GSC Forum Cut

CO, I did an LOS soil build on my thread. What do you think about putting it on the organics thread?

Looking forward to the outdoor sites CO, I've been doing some reading and it certainly seems like a great option for mmj.

I forgot to tell you, I sampled the tiny WiFi I'm growing with a 6 week tester, and Holy Moly, unbelievable. I'm going to grow the remaining seeds very soon. It truly is a magnificent example of mmj.

Nice on the wifi, and Dr my outdoor hugelkultur MJ bed will have to be done sans pics, unfortunately. It's a rock solid idea though, no doubt.

Done CO. It's lovely soil. Rich, varied, textured, fragrant. Amazing stuff filled with energy. I could do this every day and be content.:laughtwo:

Hey smokey, yeah you got me. I highly recommend keeping the pot "alive" between runs by growing SOMETHING in it and keeping it watered. BUT due mainly to me moving, I neglected these pots. Knowing I did that I relied on an ACT to reintroduce life to the pots in a hurry. Honestly what I did, neglecting them, is just what happens each and every winter season in the wild. Alls well.

In case others were unaware. White clover is a brilliant thing to grow in your soil whenever you can. It collects nitrogen from the air and disperses it throughout the soil! Win win!:thumb:

That Tangilope is on my list :)

This one was a freebie but I would not hesitate to buy a pack and find that keeper. It's so delish alone..

Hey smokey, yeah you got me. I highly recommend keeping the pot "alive" between runs by growing SOMETHING in it and keeping it watered. BUT due mainly to me moving, I neglected these pots. Knowing I did that I relied on an ACT to reintroduce life to the pots in a hurry. Honestly what I did, neglecting them, is just what happens each and every winter season in the wild. Alls well.

Just trying to gather intel as I can to help make up my mind on the no-till. Plus it is nice to know that you can get away with being a little slack and rely on a quality ACT to quickly reestablish the herd, obviously yours look just fine. :)

The single most important change anyone could make who's already growing organically is adding a mulch layer. The benefits are huge and the science is there to back it up. IMO, even clay balls on the surface are better than a bare soil top. I like a diversified mulch layer. Dynamic accumulator plants, leaves, straw, etc. As far as living mulch goes, it can be used with the other mulch. Sow clover seeds all over the top of the pot, water in, and once sprouted, begin adding the "dead mulch" components. Living mulch makes it hard to move the rest of the mulch around if you want to do some top dressing. One solution is to come up with a schedule of sorts for it: for example, at the end of a flower cycle you can 1): chop and drop all living mulch, 2): temporarily remove all mulch and top dress the containers, 3): sow new living mulch seeds and reintroduce other mulch components a little at a time as sprouts emerge

Another solid option is to not use any living mulch at all. Whenever, if ever, you need to top dress your containers it will be easier to slide the mulch around and do so.

Top dressings are best applied right at the top of the soil, below the mulch.

I spent longer than I wanted to finding a good article that explains what I'm talking about. A lot of stuff I find on organic gardening is kinda wishy washy. Just have to dig a bit. This ones 10 pages, but still a quick read. It pretty much touches on everything I wanted to get across re: mulching. Reading this I can see how dialed in my mulch really is.

I can see being able to simply grow amazing plants month after month, year after year. Top dressings and mulch can be more than enough to feed the soil community indefinitely. This is exciting. The path I'm on is leading me to good places.

https://extension.oregonstate.edu/lane/sites/default/files/documents/soileffectsofmulching.pdf

Please enjoy the read when you have a few minutes.

Somewhere in the debate there, it became apparent to me that we haven't clearly defined (on this forum) exactly what LOS is. The term is being thrown around rather loosely lately. Here is a C&P from 36's thread that I made last night, that explains what LOS is, to me.

""American Indians buried a fish under seeds for a reason. That isnt living soil... well... not the LOS style."

With all due respect, this is exactly what LOS is all about. If I just grew in organic topsoil with a fish planted in the soil I would be growing in LOS. People use different soil mixes for their LOS but most are similar. Its a mindset to garden with the soil food web, that's all. And of course the desire to have perfect or near perfect plants all the time causes us to try to use inputs that cover all our nutrient bases within the soil, and we allow the microbial process of nutrient cycling to occur before we even plant into containers. ( via composting, and to a lesser extent "cooking" the soil. )

The same bacteria, archaea, fungi, protozoa, nematodes, arthropods are working to feed my plants needs as did for the Indians with the fish. If organic growing didn't work we wouldn't have any plants on the planet at all. If organic growing didn't work well there wouldn't be such lush rainforests, majestic redwood forests, etc etc. These are areas in nature where there is a high functioning soil food web in place, and soil rich with organic matter. Copy that natural system and see the full genetic potential of a plant, that's my opinion. LOS is what a group of people call what they do. I tend to follow their example. Their are obviously many schools of thought about the best, most efficient and cost effective way of growing organic. I'm a fan of Dr. Elaine Ingham's work, and lean fairly hard on her ideas. She has some thoughts that would have heads spinning. And a PHD. So, rightfully so, I'm sure you all would receive her better than me."

For the record I'm happy to seen anyone take an organic path in gardening and farming. There's not one exact, one size fits all way of doing it. What I am AGAINST is the notion that cannabis is some special needs case plant that will only do well using bottled nutrients, with the gardener, not the soil food web feeding the plants. I am against the notion that cannabis only thrives in a PH adjusted soil, that cannabis plants must be flushed before harvest, that the folks who brought us bottled nutrients are good people.

That's the gist of it.

Great write up CO! While I'm not educated on all aspects of organic living soil, the points you made clearly state what the purpose of the SFW is. If you're not supporting a SFW, you are not growing organically. Even organic bottled nutes are created in a lab to be immediately available for the plant to uptake them. The SFW is non existent and there is no buffering. You'd still have to ph that garbage.

I've just stopped subscribing to threads that bad mouth OLS. As long as people don't do it on my thread, I'm better off to leave them alone.

I'd rather spend my energy helping someone who wants to learn the art of gardening than trying to convince someone who believes the holy grail can be found in a bottle (if that makes sense).

I've yet to see anyone intelligently convey the benefits of bottled nutes over OLS. Most of those conversations end up in a futile mess with the bottled nutrient guy saying something like this, "I grow the fire bro. I'll put my bottled weed up against your OLS weed any day. And my friends will too. We all use bottled nutes and our weed is the best sh!t in town bro. I can grow bigger badder plants in 1/2 the time you old farts can".

I think most people that take that stance are just out of high school and generally know it all. Most OLS growers just kind of giggle and move on lol.

Wow I just rambled in your thread. Sorry CO, I couldn't help myself.

Got some fresh pics to drop. dawn of day 41 in flower.

image23108.jpg
image23109.jpg
image23110.jpg

GPK

image23111.jpg
image23112.jpg
image23115.jpg
image23114.jpg
image23113.jpg
image23116.jpg
image23117.jpg
image23118.jpg

Sorry some pics are a little darker than I'd like but they get the job done.

The actual gardening is pretty boring these days. Smells nice in there though.

Plants will get one more enzyme tea and that's it other than water the rest of their lives. Maybe 2 enzyme teas actually more likely. Doesn't really make a huge difference, they're gonna do their thing.

The GSC buds are smallish, but the densest I've ever grown. This plant is freaky frosty and dense and smells wonderful. Looking forward to smoking some organic GSC for once!!

image23115.jpg

Cal mag deficiency spotted. No wait that's just some coffee. Apparently foliar feeding coffee with cream and sugar in it by spilling it out of your mug isn't such a bad thing.
:)
:morenutes::morenutes::morenutes::morenutes::morenutes:

image23115.jpg

Cal mag deficiency spotted. No wait that's just some coffee. Apparently foliar feeding coffee with cream and sugar in it by spilling it out of your mug isn't such a bad thing.
:)
:morenutes::morenutes::morenutes::morenutes::morenutes:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Before I read the post and fell off my chair laughing, I looked at that picture and got soooooo excited!!! That's the soil I grow in! :slide:

Slippery slope CO,

Now the SFW has a taste for coffee, you going to have to spill a little coffee in that pot daily or I think the productivity will slow down...Or at least drag ass in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom