Crown Royale Indoor Coco Coir Grow

Preamble:
I'm a new grower, with a lot of gardening experience. I can't smoke or vape cannabis without trying to cough up my lungs. I chose capsules for my meds. A size 2 capsule will hold 150mg, and a size 0 holds 250 mg or ¼ gm. That's enough for now, as I'm not trying to get high. Buying from a licensed producer, or the illegal dispensaries is far too expensive on a pension, which is why I'm growing my own.

After reading the material here, I decided on growing hydroponically. I have a reverse osmosis system as the water from my well is not potable. The arsenic content is ten times the maximum set by the World Health Organization. Note that only 25% of the water fed to a RO comes out as potable. The remaining water is waste. I started by installing a 55 gal (200l) drum as a tank so I'd have plenty of water on hand for my grows. Alas, the first time I filled the tank, the pipe in my well burst at the pump down at 350 ft or 106 meters. I dropped the pump down to the 430 ft. (130 m) level, used heavier pipe, and had to replace the wiring with a heavier gauge. As this cost $1400, I decided against hydroponics and looked for a method that used much less water.

I decided on growing in coconut coir as it seemed to require much less water. This method also has the benefit of giving me full control of the nutrients for my plants. As the recommended nutrient strength is the same as that for hydroponics, I should also realize a savings in nutrient costs. I decided on General Hydroponics Flora Series nutrients as they have a good reputation.

Cost_Comparison.jpg
Calculator available on request.

Equipment:
Grow Tent: Fusion Hut 2' X 4' X 5'
LED light: King X6 Dimmable 1800W Full Spectrum COB LED Grow Light (300 actual watts max)
Ventilation: Fusion Breath 6" Fan & Filter Kit (good up to 12m3)
Heat: similar to Royal Sovereign HCE-100 Ceramic Electric Heater
Humidifier: ZooMed Reptifogger
Heat/Humidity Controller: ZooMed HygroTherm
Electrical:
- 2 Woods 50009 Indoor 7-Day Heavy Duty Digital Outlet Timer with 2-Outlets
- 2 desk fans: 6"
Grow Pots: DIY 3.8 US gal (15 l) fabric pots made from 3oz/sq yd landscape cloth
Drainage Trays: Standard size fiberglass horticultural trays with egg crate diffuser

Measurement:
- oral syringes: 1ml, 5ml. 10ml as required for nutrients (free at pharmacies in Canada)
- pH meter: Etekcity 0.05pH High Accuracy Digital
- TDS / EC meter: NADAMOO TDS Meter Digital Water Tester
- 3 Kg X 1gm kitchen scale (for measuring water volume; 1Kg = 1liter)
- shot glass (to calibrate pH and TDS meters)
- AcuRite Wireless Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer with Humidity Sensor

It requires approx. 50% of the expanded coco coir's final volume of water for the expansion. I pH adjusted the water to 5.8. It took about 10l water per bag before the run off was at a pH of 5.8 as well. When I filled the grow bags, they bulged out enough that they wouldn't fit in the drainage trays. My solution was to cage them with 16ga 1" X 1" fencing, in a 36" width. A little planning went into deciding on the width to buy and the cut pattern to minimize waste.

grow_bag_cage_cut_pattern.jpg

caged_grow_bags.jpg

My next post will quickly cover the first two months of this grow.
what'd your king run u, if u don't mind? I'm in a 4x8. i use g.h.'s rainforests, that i turned into the aero version. or whichever was the hydro version- i changed to aero. i get 3x the speed and output, over anything youtube's "seedtostoned" has turned out and cleaning is easier, with less wattage burnin (no air pumps). i don't veg, beyond seedling and clone trays, anymore. most strains look monstercropped, because of it, cept the flawless n resistant to ANYTHING, black dominas.

This is my second harvest of Crop King Seeds' Crown Royale.

full

Harvested 01 May 2019

Each fan blade holds the eight colas from one plant. We'll see how I did when I jar them.
unhappy, with dutch seed shop, though i will harvest their "femenized" atf's jizz.
so far- and contrary to every single review i read about em... Pacific seeds, in California, u.s.a., has not disappointed, though I've yet to have em tested 4 strain validity.

what'd your king run u, if u don't mind? I'm in a 4x8. i use g.h.'s rainforests, that i turned into the aero version. or whichever was the hydro version- i changed to aero. i get 3x the speed and output, over anything youtube's "seedtostoned" has turned out and cleaning is easier, with less wattage burnin (no air pumps). i don't veg, beyond seedling and clone trays, anymore. most strains look monstercropped, because of it, cept the flawless n resistant to ANYTHING, black dominas.

$250 USD + customs. The Mars Hydro TSL-2000 is a better light at slightly less cost.

$250 USD + customs. The Mars Hydro TSL-2000 is a better light at slightly less cost.
good to know. i got the king plus 3000 led's x2. i also have a 600wt hps option, i don't use, but i was extremely naive, when i got em. they pull 600w, ea... who cares how many watts u have, YOU'RE NOT BURNING. i can't get em any closer, than 700ish par, without bleaching.

Back
Top Bottom