DIY Cardboard Box Grow

kelbybricker

Hey everyone, I am new here and this is my first journal. (For some reason I can't post on journals)This will be my second grow and my last one failed due to heat stress

However this time around, I have nailed the environment at a nice and breezy 74-76 range
I'm doing a lot of tricks here because of my limited grow space

What medium? "Espoma" organic potting mix
Ph?: Unsure (I am using purified RO water however)
Light schedule?: 18/6
Strain?: bagseed
Gender? Unknown
Lights? 3 23 watt 1600 lumen cool white bulbs and one 2700k 1600 lumen bulb

So about three weeks ago I started growing three plants in my little cardboard box. The biggest one here is the only one of that set that survived. However later I planted a second one when the first one was on week 1.5 of veg, and due to my limited space, put in cut up plastic water bottles as dividers so the roots wouldn't interfere with eachother.
So far it seems to be working perfectly
My oldest baby at 2.5 weeks old has 5 sets of true leaves coming in. The sixth one had to be stripped off due to my light falling into my plant.The younger one is just now getting on her 2nd set

Here's some pics of my setup and tell me what you all think
Can't wait to see the results
420-magazine-mobile653109765.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1906071754.jpg
420-magazine-mobile888951663.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1048214380.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1857166691.jpg
420-magazine-mobile460781227.jpg

stay medicated everyone .

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

So those cfls are great for nursing seedlings BUT eeeeck that cardboard has me sooooo worried. Can you find a plastic storage bin that could maybe take its place? I know cfl's don't give off a lot of heat but such a small space + bulbs + cardboard just seems like a major fire hazard...

I am totally of the mindset that one's first grow does not need to start off with expensive equipment and fancy shit... you can grow as your plants do. I started out nursing with cfls and my setup has grown along with my plants. With a little luck and some good bargain hunting you can upgrade slowly and in reasonable monetary increments. Just ensure anything you spend your money on is an 'investment'. A heavy duty plastic bin is something you can use again in SO many ways down the line for your grow. So even that would be an 'investment'... and would be a lot safer than that cardboard.

As far as trying to separate the roots. I would remove that plastic.... All you are doing is restricting your plant from growing the roots it needs to flourish. Are these plants going outside when the weather warms up? You will have to transplant them together... no matter what... so might as well just let their roots expand as they like.

So good luck... be safe... they DO look like healthy seedlings... but they will need a bit more to become healthy plants. You don't state your future plans for these girls... but with Spring almost here... they are perfect candidates for a traditional summer outdoor grow...

xxKitty

So those cfls are great for nursing seedlings BUT eeeeck that cardboard has me sooooo worried. Can you find a plastic storage bin that could maybe take its place? I know cfl's don't give off a lot of heat but such a small space + bulbs + cardboard just seems like a major fire hazard...

I am totally of the mindset that one's first grow does not need to start off with expensive equipment and fancy shit... you can grow as your plants do. I started out nursing with cfls and my setup has grown along with my plants. With a little luck and some good bargain hunting you can upgrade slowly and in reasonable monetary increments. Just ensure anything you spend your money on is an 'investment'. A heavy duty plastic bin is something you can use again in SO many ways down the line for your grow. So even that would be an 'investment'... and would be a lot safer than that cardboard.

As far as trying to separate the roots. I would remove that plastic.... All you are doing is restricting your plant from growing the roots it needs to flourish. Are these plants going outside when the weather warms up? You will have to transplant them together... no matter what... so might as well just let their roots expand as they like.

So good luck... be safe... they DO look like healthy seedlings... but they will need a bit more to become healthy plants. You don't state your future plans for these girls... but with Spring almost here... they are perfect candidates for a traditional summer outdoor grow...

xxKitty

Great advice, I am definitely open to opinions off more experienced growers.

However I assure you the heat is not an issue. I covered it in Mylar and the exhaust fan pulls all the heat away from the box. The temperatures in the box are always at 75 degrees
However I am getting a grow tent soon and will be ordering a couple t5s to compliment my cfls

As for the plastic idea, I was pretty medicated and thought it was a good idea lmao. I suppose it wasn't? I figured since I'm on low space at the moment the roots will be constrained to that area and won't interfere with the other girls root system. So I can safely transplant her when my tent comes

I am not planning on growing huge plants as this is my second grow. Thanks for the advice!

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Just had her first topping, when should I expect to see the two nodes pop in? Also for some reason she tends to droop when it's almost time to turn the lights off, which is at 4:30 central standard time
420-magazine-mobile167479174.jpg

Here she is early in the morning, I think I'm starting to see things where I topped it
420-magazine-mobile129852071.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1274857047.jpg

Here are some new pics, they are growing beautifully. The younger one sadly is stretching because I can't have the lights any closer or it'll burn the bigger one
The bigger ones second feeding is on the next two waterings
420-magazine-mobile1830058150.jpg
420-magazine-mobile29867336.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2081920473.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2035260069.jpg

Loving this journal! Awesome DIY. I'm looking for a way to grow my two girls with minimal equipment and I've learned from several people that they've had successful grows with cardboard boxes. I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for the inpiration!

Back
Top Bottom