Do you run a light for drying?

ViparSpectra

420 Sponsor
These blueberry were grown under 4 ViparSpectra P2000 grow lights. Now the plants have been cut down for drying.

What would your tent for drying look like? Do you run a light for drying? Why?
483-P2000-Kyle Burnham-230104.png

484-P2000-Kyle Burnham-230104.png

485-P2000-Kyle Burnham-230104.png

From what I have read over the years the light can degrade the quality of the trichomes like 013 mentions. So, best to leave the lights off.

Most of us are human and us humans like to admire the results of our work so turning the lights on for a minute or two to inspect the harvest is unlikely to hurt anything. Another thing is that leaving the lights on for hours is likely to raise the temperature in the tent and many feel that temperature control is important for a smooth steady drying environment.

No, I do not run a light when hanging and curing. I like a slow cure, perhaps 8-10 days and in a relatively dark room with ventilation and no windows.

Thanks for asking and for being a sponsor.

I've always dried in the dark because I've been lead to believe that intense light can degrade the cannabinoids etc. But I was thinking about this recently because intense light doesn't do that while they're growing so would 5-10 days drying in light make that much difference? It would be loads easier for me if I chopped a plant and hung it in the same tent while others were finishing off growing. I may try it with a few buds I'll harvest soon.

It would be loads easier for me if I chopped a plant and hung it in the same tent while others were finishing off growing. I may try it with a few buds I'll harvest soon.
Good morning VS, interesting idea and how about getting back with your finding.
Take care compadre.

I hang/bag my buds at the top of my tents, above the lights.
Encountered any issues with it?
Good morning VS, interesting idea and how about getting back with your finding.
Take care compadre.
I'll give it a go and publish my own experience with it. I'll hang a couple of branches above the light.

I've always dried in the dark because I've been lead to believe that intense light can degrade the cannabinoids etc. But I was thinking about this recently because intense light doesn't do that while they're growing so would 5-10 days drying in light make that much difference? It would be loads easier for me if I chopped a plant and hung it in the same tent while others were finishing off growing. I may try it with a few buds I'll harvest soon.

I've done it quite a few times, on the other side of my shed hung up what was ready, and was 8' away from other plants that were still going. Even with same Strain I have had plants finish a week apart, that and I usually would run more than one Strain at a time also so some more than one week apart. Never really noticed any difference or it being "bad affects" or anything.
I hang/bag my buds at the top of my tents, above the lights.

Might depend on temps and humidity and what not, time I tried that in my grow box they dried out faster than I wanted, but it was still decent smoke.

I've done it quite a few times, on the other side of my shed hung up what was ready, and was 8' away from other plants that were still going. Even with same Strain I have had plants finish a week apart, that and I usually would run more than one Strain at a time also so some more than one week apart. Never really noticed any difference or it being "bad affects" or anything.

Might depend on temps and humidity and what not, time I tried that in my grow box they dried out faster than I wanted, but it was still decent smoke.
I keep an eye on it and jar it up when the outside gets brittle. Then I finish it in the jars, it evens out.

No, I do not run a light when hanging and curing. I like a slow cure, perhaps 8-10 days and in a relatively dark room with ventilation and no windows.

Thanks for asking and for being a sponsor.
Thanks for your sharing~

Thanks for your sharing! I am interested in the difference:bongrip:

Any bud i have grown would not last 5-10 days drying
With the lights on.2-3 days max.
Have you ever grown some bud and fast dried it.
And liked the out come.Is this not the same thing.
I Would not know as never tried.
And would not risk it tbh.

No because light degrades THC into CBN after harvesting. There isn't a valid reason to continuously use lights after harvest. Unless you want less THC and more CBN which results in less potent cannabis.

Light doesn't degrade THC while the plant is alive.
My understanding is the THC does degrade/convert to CBN over time whilst alive. Trichomes turning amber. But I'm guessing then that once chopped, light would just degrade the THC more rapidly?

Obviously it wouldn't make sense to keep lights on if everything is harvested but I'm curious if drying a partial harvest in a lit room/tent would make a huge impact on the potency. Might not be the perfect way to dry but maybe someone's only option if they don't have a dedicated space for drying and plants finishing at different times.

No because light degrades THC into CBN after harvesting. There isn't a valid reason to continuously use lights after harvest. Unless you want less THC and more CBN which results in less potent cannabis.

Thanks for letting me learn more.:ganjamon:

this right here. i've always hung plants with no lights. jarred bud should also be stored out of the light. the best environment for longer term storage is similar to wine.

This !
Warmer temps after harvest too, right? Turning off my lights i try to dry in the 60s and RH around 58.

Cannabis plants require light to grow and thrive. During the vegetative stage, cannabis plants require 18-24 hours of light per day. During the flowering stage, the light cycle is changed to 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness to induce flowering. The type and intensity of light used can have a significant impact on the growth and yield of the plants. High-intensity discharge (HID) lights, such as metal halide and high-pressure sodium lights, are commonly used in indoor cannabis cultivation. LED lights are also becoming increasingly popular due to their energy efficiency and ability to target specific wavelengths of light that are beneficial for plant growth.
Thanks for your great sharing! Our LED grow light is full-spectrum, suitable for different growth stage. Low energy consumption, high output, is a good choice for growers.

Back
Top Bottom