Elious' Second Wind

Hey trippa, I'm glad to have you subbed and I would be happy to check out and sub in on your grow but I'll need the title of your journal. You don't have it in your signature, in fact you don't have a signature, which is fine. Let me know the title bro.

I'm subbing.

If you have any questions with defoliation, I can show you the technique I learned from a valued forum member.

Keep up the good work. :Namaste:
Welcome! I'm trying to check out your current journal but it won't stop loading. Its like my computer keeps freezing when its trying to load. I'll try again a little later.
So, defoilation,... Not sure what I'm doing with that to be honest. I'm really just trying to make some room for light to penetrate a little deeper into the canopy. I've read several things about it, watched stuff on YouTube. But I don't really have a solid method. Shottafire mentioned doing it at a certain point during the flowering cycle. I think I'm going to go with that but along the way I'm plucking a few here and there. Its said doing this will help the plant from being shocked when you really start taking off a lot of leaf.

The method I've been using sounds pretty similar to your description of Shottafire's method.

Quick run down is on days 21 and 57 from introducing a 12/12 or whatever flowering period are defoliation days.

Day 21 is pretty much just fan leaves. Anything larger than your hand, the ones that are true fan leaves are removed. That's it. The easiest criteria is any leaf with a stem longer than an inch is removed.

Day 57 lies toward the end of most strains budding cycle, ideally a week or two before harvest. At this time additional fan leaves have filled in the formers places. These are removed. In addition, leaves that are mostly yellow, possibly nute burned, etc are also removed.

I've flowed sativa dominant plants that went the distance and required four defols.

There's always the do I/don't I argument concerning defoliation. Seems to work for me fine with my current conditions.

I've been doing the old, 'a little here, a little there' routine. The last grow I did was with blue cheese too and the method I used did me justice but that's not to say I'm not willing to give something else a shot. Especially considering that I have plenty of plants to work with. I'll have to try that but I'm not sure if I have screwed that up already. See, I defoilated a few days ago and I've been plucking a few here and there since then. What would be my next move at this point if I wanted to try out that method? Wait for day 57 and defoilate again? Within that time is it detrimental to not do any other defoilation?

So an update...
I think that leaf curl us gonna hang on for a while and I'm not sure there's anything I can do about it. But the plants are budding like they're going bat shit crazy!! The white rhino is the boss for sure so far. The blue cheese are giving it a run for the money though. The critical kush is still sucking hind tit but I have a feeling its a sleeper and will wake up and give some competition soon enough. If not...its getting cut from the team.

With the defoliation it is important to have a healthy balance of air movement and light penetration in the canopy.

Josh223 is correct at doing a defol. at day 21 but its really only a lollipopping removing the bottom parts of the plant that wont make the cut. Then on day 42 or thereabouts is a good time to defoliate or thin the canopy. Imagine the plant as a sculpture and only take the amount of leaves it takes to really make all the plant shine in the light. Not all strains perform well using this technique either.

How tall are your girls elious? Mine just finished yesterday at around 45-48 inches

Lollipopping when growing bigger plants is a great practice and it will boost your numbers without a doubt. Just wait until they slow down stretching and take the bottoms off. thin the canopy lightly like what your doing taking a leaf here and there. I do weekly canopy maint. and it will show if done right.

damn its late. need to go to sleep aghhghgh. anyways i just finished my tray yesterday and it was a prime example of why I do the 21 42 defol on my bubba og swollen nugs for sure and little to no popcorn.

Have a good one elious and wishing you the best in a good pull.

A little less will never hurt. My plants are spaced a lot closer than yours-Sea of Green if you will. As shottafire says, your trying to sculpt the plant. In between defols I'll remove small side branches that will only produce popcorn.

The whole goal is to open up the plant for better light penetration to good bud sites and better air flow.

Yeah, I've been trimming up a lot of little branches that won't amount to much. I'm hoping that I'm not shooting myself in the foot though. My dad always told me that you'll get more weight out of a lot of little buds rather than a few huge buds. So I'm trying to ease into that a bit and find my happy medium. I'll tell you one thing, I HATE manicuring those little popcorn buds! Its time consuming and monotonous. So I'm going to keep plucking a few leaves here and there, when I see particular leaves that need to go for the benefit of the rest. Before my next watering I'm going to bring them out inequality by one and take a final sweep of the branches that I figure need to go.

Just letting you guys know I'm still here. The white rhino has hairs on the buds almost as long as the hairs on my head!! The whole bunch is doing great, although I have to confess that I was trying to get too much out of the lights a a couple leaves got a little bleached. But they're fine. No serious issues. I think that the leaf curling is from the heat in the area. I had the room temps climbed a bit on me and I noticed that a few other leaves were looking funky. Maybe... Maybe not... Not sure but the health of the plants is good and even though a few leaves are curled a bit, the plants continue to produce the buds!

Still not much to report. I have some pics that need downloading but they don't do the plants any justice. The plants are looking GREAT!! The canopy is as full as utter can get. I think I'm going to have to pluck some more leaves! Its just THICK! I guess that good but its restricting air flow and light penetration. So, this weekend, I'll have to get busy on them.

A little yellowing on a few bottom leaves. Normal compared to my last run. Over all, they're looking really good. The pictures doesn't show it very well but there are buds EVERYWHERE!!
Budding_week_3.jpg

As of yesterday, 21 days from the flip to 12-12. I think they're doing pretty good! Or at least compared to last time.

Man I'm excited about their growth! They're doing really well and looking very vibrant. Their growth rate is borderline aggressive at this point. I've got some high hopes for this batch! I'll snap a shot tomorrow and post it.

Yo thanks for checkin out my journal ill be posting updates on my thread once a week prolly with pics but I was wondering how do I subscribe to ur post or whatever n add friends on this site? If anyone else wants check out my blue dream n my og kush clone
Blue Dream & OG Kush Clone First Grow

A little yellowing on a few bottom leaves. Normal compared to my last run. Over all, they're looking really good. The pictures doesn't show it very well but there are buds EVERYWHERE!!
Budding_week_3.jpg

How long did it take your ants to show buds n how can I estimate my yeild if anyone knows... I vegged my plant a long time n was wonder how I can tell I wanna eventually not off this plant frow yields close to a pound but my buddy who thinks he knows it all said ill be lucky if off a home grow like mine if I get even 7gram which seems unreal to me he also said cause my buds will be small n shitty... But man your plants look great... How much space are they taking up.. N what nutes u using if you don't mind me asking... Deffenently looking like you have done more then 2 grows

How long did it take your ants to show buds n how can I estimate my yeild if anyone knows... I vegged my plant a long time n was wonder how I can tell I wanna eventually not off this plant frow yields close to a pound but my buddy who thinks he knows it all said ill be lucky if off a home grow like mine if I get even 7gram which seems unreal to me he also said cause my buds will be small n shitty... But man your plants look great... How much space are they taking up.. N what nutes u using if you don't mind me asking... Deffenently looking like you have done more then 2 grows
Your buddy sounds like he's harshing mellow dooder... You can get better than 7 grams!!! Jesus H. Christ on a popsicle stick man! 7 grams!?!? Dude... Don't let him screw with you man.
My plants are taking up a 4 x 9 foot area. They are under two 1000watt hps bulbs. The nutes I'm using this round is a simple Grow More bloom nutrient. Its npk ratio is something like 5-26-17. I'm feeding them at 650 ppm. I know that's low ppm but that's how I role dawg! More is often less in this business. I have a 0-5-4 and that's what I used last time but last time was a disaster!
This is my second grow indoors. Outdoors I have much more experience.
So... Predicting a yield... Hell if I know! Sorry man, its really hard to judge that with a whole lot of accuracy without having a few crops come in. Judging from my first one I can bet on it'll be up to a half-gram per watt. But a lot can happen between now and then. So I ain't counting my nugs till they're drying on a string.

By disaster I mean it was crazy. But I turned out pretty good...or at least I was happy with it.

Update!! Take a look! We defoiliated a lot of them. Still have a few to go. Day 24

Crop_01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom