First Ever Attempt - Indoor Closet - Done A Lot Of Reading & Welcome Advice!

Hello looking good over here :) not really sure how far you are into flowering I just clicked the link you provided in the other journal. I would have lolipopped those if they were mine focusing on one large bud at the top. I'm not really going to advise you to do one specific thing until I know how far into flower!

Edit: ok I just dug through.. You started on 6/20/12? So about a month into flowering. It's pretty late to pluck some leaves from it now. You could get away with it but i usually stop when I'm 21 days into flower. It would certainly help if you removed the lower stuff.. Anything that would normally just end up popcorn size. When i do single cola plants like that i remove everything that doesn't have node spacing less then 1" apart. I'm kind of unsure on what to suggest to you! Sorry

Thanks tesMP for taking the time to provide advice. Next grow I will look at lollipopping. Ill pretty much just let them run their course now I think.

Thanks tesMP for taking the time to provide advice. Next grow I will look at lollipopping. Ill pretty much just let them run their course now I think.

Yep might be a good choice. Those would have been really beautiful lollipop'd plants though! Stripping everything off the bottom 10" or so and leaving just the really close nodes at the top! That main cola would have been enormous! Not to say it still can't be.. You could always try on one of them :) How tall are they? If you don't mind could you measure from the top of the plant down.. Everywhere there is a node that is less then 1.25" apart form each other keep that in the total length.. When the nodes start getting further apart then that then stop measuring.

Yep might be a good choice. Those would have been really beautiful lollipop'd plants though! Stripping everything off the bottom 10" or so and leaving just the really close nodes at the top! That main cola would have been enormous! Not to say it still can't be.. You could always try on one of them :) How tall are they? If you don't mind could you measure from the top of the plant down.. Everywhere there is a node that is less then 1.25" apart form each other keep that in the total length.. When the nodes start getting further apart then that then stop measuring.

Ok mate will do. So what I am hearing from you, is that by removing the bottom parts of the plant, you in effect produce more through the top. I imagine that in your experience by doing this you gain more yield through the top, than you lose by trimming off the bottom.

So you reckon I could try lollipopping one of them... Ill put up some photos of the buds on the lower parts of the plant, some of them are half decent size and Im not sure want to discard them so late in the piece. Being a new grower, to me its better the devil you know than the one you dont! haha.

Thanks heaps mate.

Im going to get the missus involved in my next photoshoot... :thanks:

Ok mate will do. So what I am hearing from you, is that by removing the bottom parts of the plant, you in effect produce more through the top. I imagine that in your experience by doing this you gain more yield through the top, than you lose by trimming off the bottom.

So you reckon I could try lollipopping one of them... Ill put up some photos of the buds on the lower parts of the plant, some of them are half decent size and Im not sure want to discard them so late in the piece. Being a new grower, to me its better the devil you know than the one you dont! haha.

Thanks heaps mate.

Im going to get the missus involved in my next photoshoot... :thanks:

Yeah that's exactly how it works.. Here is a 2L grow I did, same concept.. I also do this technique with my SCROG.. Everything below the screen gets trimmed off just leaving the tops so they can grow into large buds..

Before lollipop:

IMG_085414.jpg

After (you can see all the trimmed stuff, left plant):

IMG_11167.jpg

Harvest:

IMG_13178.jpg

Really the extra buds you see below the main cola should have been pulled... I have several other.. These small 2L's I have gotten about an ounce with this techniques. Your plant resembles these and that's why I suggested the technique.. You can always try it on one or all of them up to you.. I does seem painful pulling the buds that are growing off but honestly it will put all it's energy towards the bigger colas and that's the point. If you want me to remove the pics I can!

My avatar was done the same way in a 2L hydro version.. Here's the girth:

image-541553840.jpg

Thanks mate. Ok here are the plants as they stand currently.

Hempy:

I will lollipop this lady tonight.

IMG_26265.JPG

I did remove some leaves off the two larger ones.

IMG_26283.JPG
IMG_26334.JPG

I have decided not to lollipop these two, because there are some half decent sized nugs around the place.

IMG_26295.JPG
IMG_26346.JPG

Ok so the measurements are:

Plant 1 - 31" High, Distance from top with nodes less than 1.5 inches = 6"

Plant 2 - 23" High, Distance from top with nodes less than 1.5 inches = 9"

Hempy - 18" High, Distance from top with nodes less than 1.5 inches = 4"

:thumb:

Nice! i Didn't even see that you had one in a 2L :) That one will be a perfect candidate!! This is what I'm thinking:

IMG_262651.JPG

All the places will small lines will be cut off right at the main stem... How long is the area I have in question? Your saying only 4"? It will hurt to cut it up but it works!!

edit: how long has this plant been in 12/12 I just looked back and you let it go a little longer veg then the others.. even better!

Hi Mate

Yes, this one is a lot younger than the others, as I started it much later, but I only ended up vegging it for one extra day. I realised it wouldnt produce as much, but I wanted to end this grow simultaneously, and start 4 at the same time in my next one.

What do you think? Distance from top to the two main branches is 12"

IMG_2648.jpg

Also I decided to practice my curing technique with the popcorn lol

IMG_26494.jpg

Looks excellent! You won't be disappointed! I would personally cut off the two lower branches only because of the pic I posted up above I feel would have been better without them (my plant). You can leave them if you'd like. Even with those branches removed, if you had a 10" bud that's two times fatter then your grip when all said and done i would say that's pretty damn successful!! Is it the lighting or is it pretty yellow?

Edit: oh ya you need to dry in the dark ;) if you do leave it like that it will look just like mine above!

Looks excellent! You won't be disappointed! I would personally cut off the two lower branches only because of the pic I posted up above I feel would have been better without them (my plant). You can leave them if you'd like. Even with those branches removed, if you had a 10" bud that's two times fatter then your grip when all said and done i would say that's pretty damn successful!! Is it the lighting or is it pretty yellow?

Edit: oh ya you need to dry in the dark ;) if you do leave it like that it will look just like mine above!

Its the HPS, she's pretty green :)

I knew you'd say that! The only concern I have is that if I cut off the last two, there wont be much leaves left, does that matter? I dont have any fan leaves left at all as it is, but if you think its ok then I'm happy to do it.

Its the HPS, she's pretty green :)

The only concern I have is that if I cut off the last two, there wont be much leaves left, does that matter? I dont have any fan leaves left at all as it is, but if you think its ok then I'm happy to do it.

Yeah I hear ya.. Hell just leave it if you'd like.. I didn't notice there wasnt any fans until you said that. I didn't have many either. Do you know the flowering time?

Yeah I hear ya.. Hell just leave it if you'd like.. I didn't notice there wasnt any fans until you said that. I didn't have many either. Do you know the flowering time?

Ok I will leave it. I went to flower on the hemp on the 22nd of June.

Ok I will leave it. I went to flower on the hemp on the 22nd of June.

I mean how long the strain usually takes to finish?

Edit: just looked.. 8/9 weeks so she's got plenty of time to fill out. Now just try and make all them as happy as possible.. Temps/RH/nutes etc! Flowers start filling in a bunch after a month :)

I mean how long the strain usually takes to finish?

Edit: just looked.. 8/9 weeks so she's got plenty of time to fill out. Now just try and make all them as happy as possible.. Temps/RH/nutes etc! Flowers start filling in a bunch after a month :)

Its 8-9 weeks.

Yup just saw that. What's your roots look like on that?! Ever thought about adding an air stone to the res?

I haven't actually, only because I tip out and replace the res every two days and its almost dry at that point.

This is what they look like today:

IMG_26504.jpg

I haven't actually, only because I tip out and replace the res every two days and its almost dry at that point.

This is what they look like today:

IMG_26504.jpg

Nice! Very healthy :) you have a pretty small res in the bottom you could cut a larger section from another bottle. I really think the air stoke benefited mine. Mine also drank the res in a day or two but I always just topped off with water or nutrients and did a complete res change and small flush each weekend. Ran a res full of water through the top then filled the res up with nutes. If you dont have one don't go buy one unless you ever plan on a DWC :)

i agree with teSmp on this one, you really could do with a bigger res, i used pretty much a whole bottle as a res and last time round the plant was drinking a whole res every 36 hours, so they drank them very quick, im giving the air stone a try this time round, my roots have just hit the res and now they are growing like crazy, i use compost in the top then let the roots go into the res then the plants and roots go crazy and grow all over the place

Back
Top Bottom