First Grow - Advice Welcome

I'm not a soil grower but it sounds like its time to transplant. Wait for one of the soil pros to chime in. When I did grow soil(once) I found it easier to transplant while the medium is dry so it can slide out of its current pot. The I would water the new medium about 2-3" from the newly trans planted stem so the roots can "search" for the water. Again I'm a hydro grower so WAIT FOR THE PROS. At least until tomorrow

I'm not gonna be able to get them out of those pots without stressing them out. Plus if there circling I would have to cut through roots to pull them out. I've been reading on this for an hr or so. Most people are say this is OK and to leave them alone. So now im kinda mixed up on what to do. Restricted roots, if there growing out the bottom they will eventually find the holes in the sides of the pots also. Each pot has 12 to 18 holes in them. Great drainage. So would they continue to grow out then holes and in then ground. Just confused. Don't see how restricting them would happen if there find in there way out of the holes already.

We all stress our plants to an extent. The key is using as much finesse and creativity as possible to make it as uneventful as possible. I've removed soil plants from the pots with little to no issue while the medium was dry. I placed the stem between my fingers and flipped the pot upside down. Since the medium was dry the plant(soil and all) slide right out. I had the transplant pot ready to go as I didn't want to keep the roots exposed for too long.

Right the big one weighs 50lbs or better. One hand ain't gonna hold that. The stalk is about an inch and half thick or so. I am assuming she is well rooted. Little one probably not a problem to do that with. Its in a 2.5 gal pot. So that one is more reasonable I guess.

Right the big one weighs 50lbs or better. One hand ain't gonna hold that. The stalk is about an inch and half thick or so. I am assuming she is well rooted. Little one probably not a problem to do that with. Its in a 2.5 gal pot. So that one is more reasonable I guess.

50lb?? And what size pot is she in??

Yes I see it... What I would do.... Not tellin you to do this... stem the in palm of my dominant hand (thumb and pointer to the soil) and turn upside down with non-dominant hand I would grab the rim of the pot with my thumb and pointer and I would twist to loosen the edges. After loosened I would put the rim upwards. If it's sliding off, I would turn the plant right side up and let the pot fall off. Still holding stem. All of this considering the mess of soil wouldn't be an issue.

Yea that's a big girl... This is just preparing you to grow a monster in a 7-10gal pot. And just know, those holes will not be enough for the roots to expand properly. Your gotta have to figure out a way to get her out.

I'm not a soil grower but it sounds like its time to transplant. Wait for one of the soil pros to chime in. When I did grow soil(once) I found it easier to transplant while the medium is dry so it can slide out of its current pot. The I would water the new medium about 2-3" from the newly trans planted stem so the roots can "search" for the water. Again I'm a hydro grower so WAIT FOR THE PROS. At least until tomorrow

When I plan to transplant I water my plants and transplant 1-2 days after watering so the soil is still moist and will mostly come out of the pot together in one large piece. I would thoroughly and evenly saturate the soil until you just get runoff water. Roots do not grow where water is not, roots grow where water is.

Wow dunc014 we all wish we had your problem of monster plants, anyway taking her out of the 5 gallon pots when she is almost ready for a feeding is your best bet, as she should be fairly light. Sit the centre of the pot on your knee and pull the sides of the pot down, this will separate the pot from the soil, then sit the pot on the ground and grab her by the stalk right near the soil and use your other hand to hold the plastic pot down and she should come out easy. If you use my method make sure you do so right beside the hole you have dug for her and drop her right in her new home. I would not recommend planting the container into the ground.

Let us know how it turns out, with some pics.

Well I wish she was in a plastic container. This would be much easier for me to do. There both in metal flower pots. Its raining this morning. So I have to wait, and I fed them yesterday. I'm just afraid of damaging roots. So I'm thinking I will use something to go along the sides of the pots to break her lose, and slowly wiggle her out of the pot. Very hesitant to do this, but gotta be done right.

IMG_20140712_082916_690.jpg
IMG_20140712_082909_195.jpg
IMG_20140712_082903_442.jpg

Well I wish she was in a plastic container. This would be much easier for me to do. There both in metal flower pots. Its raining this morning. So I have to wait, and I fed them yesterday. I'm just afraid of damaging roots. So I'm thinking I will use something to go along the sides of the pots to break her lose, and slowly wiggle her out of the pot. Very hesitant to do this, but gotta be done right.

I know the feeling. I transplanted my current ladies that I'm flowering. I upgraded to a 20gal tote and when I opened the lid on the smaller bucket(3.5lt) the roots were bound together and engulfed the air stone(DWC). I had to pull them apart and get the transplant done. Did I damage roots? Hell yea. This was only yesterday so we'll see how they bounce back from the stress. But sometimes it's enevitable.

OK I'm stoked. Transplant went smoothly. They both slid right out of the pots. The big was a beast. First picture is the only bad thing that happen. The branch snapped on her( not the main stalk) . Other than that I think shell recover from one branch. Maybe this will turn out to be a super crop. I think that's were they break the stem or branch just a tad. I'm not positive about this. I went LST so I didn't have major stress. But one branch I can live with. Yea you guys helped me a lot. Thank you thank you.

King john was right. The roots were going around the bottom of the pot. Thanks king john for your advice. I'm hoping they go crazy in the ground. I did water them after transplant no nutes though. Just pH adjusted water. Didn't do nutes because I fed them yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom