First Time Grower! - Bubba Kush! - Advice Appreciated!

:popcorn:

I'll sit in back and take it all in.

Most potting soils are PH buffered really well making PH adjustments pretty useless. I'd be very surprised if you aren't already in the zone - around 6.0.

Your pots look like they are only about half full. Is there a reason you didn't either start in smaller pots, or fill the ones you have? It is hard to tell just how much soil they are working with.

Great to see you here, Major PITA. Honestly, I ran out of soil. The plants were in peat jiffy pots and I felt I had to get them out, so I replanted in the larger plastic pots. I'm thinking of buying new soil and perlite and replanting in the same pots with soil filled to the top. How does this sound?

My plants are all growing slow - I hear Bubba Kush is a slow veg though. But they're also turning a bit yellow. Do they seem unhealthy? Thoughts? Could be pH, could be lack of nutrients, light, fresh air? They're now day 20. I plan on adding new photos every week. Thanks everyone!

Great to see you here, Major PITA. Honestly, I ran out of soil. The plants were in peat jiffy pots and I felt I had to get them out, so I replanted in the larger plastic pots. I'm thinking of buying new soil and perlite and replanting in the same pots with soil filled to the top. How does this sound?
My plants are all growing slow - I hear Bubba Kush is a slow veg though. But they're also turning a bit yellow. Do they seem unhealthy? Thoughts? Could be pH, could be lack of nutrients, light, fresh air? They're now day 20. I plan on adding new photos every week. Thanks everyone!

It is really hard for me to make any recommendations without knowing more about what you've got. "Organic soil" and "organic nutes" doesn't tell me much. I might have missed more detail in your posts but if you have additional information it might help.

I wouldn't transplant yet unless you absolutely have to. In general, the bigger the pot you start with, the slower the growth will appear. All the initial growth happens below ground. The more soil there is, the more roots are going to spread out. That takes time. This is only a guess, but I think adding the 1/2 cup of nute's initially is the problem. Seeds and young seedlings don't need (or even want) fertilizer. They have everything they need for at least the first two weeks. The yellow could be nute' burn, not a deficiency.

Can you supply more details on your soil and fertilizer used?

gotta buy a ph meter. you can get a cheap ph kit for fish tanks at a pet store if you cant spend much.

It is really hard for me to make any recommendations without knowing more about what you've got. "Organic soil" and "organic nutes" doesn't tell me much. I might have missed more detail in your posts but if you have additional information it might help.

I wouldn't transplant yet unless you absolutely have to. In general, the bigger the pot you start with, the slower the growth will appear. All the initial growth happens below ground. The more soil there is, the more roots are going to spread out. That takes time. This is only a guess, but I think adding the 1/2 cup of nute's initially is the problem. Seeds and young seedlings don't need (or even want) fertilizer. They have everything they need for at least the first two weeks. The yellow could be nute' burn, not a deficiency.

I'll check and post the type of soil and fertilizer when I'm home later. Do you suggest at least filling up the pot with more soil (to the top) or letting it play as is for awhile?

I'll check and post the type of soil and fertilizer when I'm home later. Do you suggest at least filling up the pot with more soil (to the top) or letting it play as is for awhile?

I assume they still look about the same as your pictures. In that case I'd leave 'em alone for now. You could top off the pots a little as they stretch, but it won't "fix" anything with what you already have going on. Personally, I'd wait until they are ready for a transplant and then take care of it along with any other changes you might make to the soil.

I'm not exactly on the same page with others...yet. Need to know more. I'm not seeing anything that adding perlite or PH+- is likely to fix. If your organic soil is good it is already the correct PH, is buffered with limestone, and has perlite in it. A little more perlite mixed in before planting might improve it some - or it might not.

I'm a keep it simple person. I use Fox Farms or Roots Organic. I usually only feed once per entire cycle about 2 weeks into bloom. My plants look pretty bad, lol, but... the end product is pretty solid. I'd say as good as anything you can buy from a CO dispensary. I have a PH pen and I never use it in soil. Coco yes.. Soil no... I use tap water at ph 7.5ish and 60ppm. I don't believe in RO systems and I don't feed my family bottled water. Sure in the hell won't pay for plant water. Lol. IMO, the key to the entire thing is to water to runoff and discard that runoff water (I don't do that either!). Every single thing you've been told by others is true. Don't get all wrapped up in the 20%. Stick to the basics and work out from there. Next thing you know, somebody will chime in and tell you Aluminum foil creates hot spots! This is a passionate group for sure and they take their hobbies (and some cases their health) very seriously.

I can't stress enough... Water when dry, use good soil, add good light, exchange your air, and keep your light timing consistent. That's it. Pot those ladies up in a couple weeks. Don't compare your first grow to what you see on here. I promise you that you will be pleasantly shocked when you harvest and sample your first produce.

Relax... Have some fun!!

Here's a picture of the nutrients I fed my plants two weeks ago. The soil is organic, but I threw away the bag so I'm not sure what kind it was.

I'll post a photo of my plants progress this week. There's been some growth, and a bit more yellowing too. But the largest plant is starting its 4th node.

IMG_20160515_142057.jpg

I'm a keep it simple person. I use Fox Farms or Roots Organic. I usually only feed once per entire cycle about 2 weeks into bloom. My plants look pretty bad, lol, but... the end product is pretty solid. I'd say as good as anything you can buy from a CO dispensary. I have a PH pen and I never use it in soil. Coco yes.. Soil no... I use tap water at ph 7.5ish and 60ppm. I don't believe in RO systems and I don't feed my family bottled water. Sure in the hell won't pay for plant water. Lol. IMO, the key to the entire thing is to water to runoff and discard that runoff water (I don't do that either!). Every single thing you've been told by others is true. Don't get all wrapped up in the 20%. Stick to the basics and work out from there. Next thing you know, somebody will chime in and tell you Aluminum foil creates hot spots! This is a passionate group for sure and they take their hobbies (and some cases their health) very seriously.

I can't stress enough... Water when dry, use good soil, add good light, exchange your air, and keep your light timing consistent. That's it. Pot those ladies up in a couple weeks. Don't compare your first grow to what you see on here. I promise you that you will be pleasantly shocked when you harvest and sample your first produce.

Relax... Have some fun!!

I love this wisdom, Spitz. I have to remind myself to keep it simple and enjoy the process. Thanks!

Still not sure what the problem is but they are all quite small for as old as they are.
Too wet? Too heavy with nute's? Too little soil? Bad soil?

These are about what I would expect. All plants here are 21 days old from seed germination.

Together21.jpg

GASS1.jpg

Good job Vlad....girls look good...I'm noob growing Candy Cane autos...so far so good...look forward to following your grow. Best of luck and happy growing!! Just follow the advice of the good people here...I'm also interested in bubba kush so I want to see how it all goes down:thumb:

Still not sure what the problem is but they are all quite small for as old as they are.
Too wet? Too heavy with nute's? Too little soil? Bad soil?

These are about what I would expect. All plants here are 21 days old from seed germination.

Together21.jpg

GASS1.jpg

Big difference. Yours radiate health! I haven't been watering much. And the nutes have been in for about two weeks. Do you suggest leaving them alone until it's clear that I repot with new soil? Honestly, if I come out with a two plants crop then I will still be happy. I'm learning so much here. But I'd like to salvage what I can.

Thanks, Major PITA.

Good job Vlad....girls look good...I'm noob growing Candy Cane autos...so far so good...look forward to following your grow. Best of luck and happy growing!! Just follow the advice of the good people here...I'm also interested in bubba kush so I want to see how it all goes down:thumb:

Thanks, camper2016! My plants would probably be dead if it wasn't for the good people here, yes. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Back
Top Bottom