First Time Grower! - Bubba Kush! - Advice Appreciated!

I haven't been watering much.

I'm not sure what the problem is.
Your statement above is what concerns me. Small amounts of water is never a good idea. IMO, when in veg and you plan to up-pot, you either you water completely, or you don't water at all.
Not knowing your soil, that's the only advice I can think of right now.
What size are the pots you have them in? They don't appear to be ready for a transplant, but IDK what size pots you are using.

I'm not sure what the problem is.
Your statement above is what concerns me. Small amounts of water is never a good idea. IMO, when in veg and you plan to up-pot, you either you water completely, or you don't water at all.
Not knowing your soil, that's the only advice I can think of right now.
What size are the pots you have them in? They don't appear to be ready for a transplant, but IDK what size pots you are using.

The pots are about 12"x12". I'll go ahead and water thoroughly and monitor from there. Once they're ready I'll buy some recommended soil. I understand I didn't start these with much prep other than an LED and half-baked plan. Hopefully I can get a couple of these to harvest. I'll be better suited for the next grow.

Thanks, Major!

If you want to get crazy... Take 2 of them and pot them up to a 1G pot. Use a good organic based soil (something already blended). Leave them for a couple weeks and see how they do. Be careful pulling them out. I suspect underdeveloped roots for a transplant. Start with the worst looking young lady. Just an idea... It's your garden! Good luck!

If you want to get crazy... Take 2 of them and pot them up to a 1G pot. Use a good organic based soil (something already blended). Leave them for a couple weeks and see how they do. Be careful pulling them out. I suspect underdeveloped roots for a transplant. Start with the worst looking young lady. Just an idea... It's your garden! Good luck!

I like the idea. Process of elimination. I'll take the two smallest plants and transplant in good soil. Can you recommend a brand of soil that has worked for you? Also, why a 1 gallon pot? If I use a 1 gallon pot will I eventually have to move up to a 3 or 5 gallon? Can I use a 3 gallon?

Thanks!

If you are adding nutrients, I love Promix HP.
You can transplant into any size you want. I prefer to up-pot in stages to help develop that root ball. Solo cup > 1 gallon > final size.

If you are adding nutrients, I love Promix HP.
You can transplant into any size you want. I prefer to up-pot in stages to help develop that root ball. Solo cup > 1 gallon > final size.

Great. I'll pick up some Promix HP, from Amazon. What are your thoughts on Smart pots? And, if I up-pot to 1 gallon. should I then buy 3 or 5 gallon for the final potting?

Thanks again, Major!

Great. I'll pick up some Promix HP, from Amazon. What are your thoughts on Smart pots? And, if I up-pot to 1 gallon. should I then buy 3 or 5 gallon for the final potting?

Thanks again, Major!

Is this the type? Amazon: Premier Pro Mix BX with Compressed Mycorise, 3-4/5 Cubic Feet

I prefer the high porosity type, but that will work as well.

I've not used Smart Pots, but I know they work great. I'm too cheap.
Bigger is better as long as the larger size fits your space and budget.
IDK where you live, but you can u find the Promix cheaper locally cuz it is expensive to ship. Also, the big box stores carry the 2.2 cu-ft size, if that meets your needs better.

I prefer the high porosity type, but that will work as well.

I've not used Smart Pots, but I know they work great. I'm too cheap.
Bigger is better as long as the larger size fits your space and budget.
IDK where you live, but you can u find the Promix cheaper locally cuz it is expensive to ship. Also, the big box stores carry the 2.2 cu-ft size, if that meets your needs better.

Just found the high porosity type on Amazon offering free shipping, so I placed the order. Thanks! Also placed an order for 3 gallon smart pots - 5 for $25. I believe the 3 gallon will fit my space easier.

Do I mix anything with the Pro Mix or just fill the pot and replant?

Thanks again! The experiment is on its way...

I add nothing but water to the Promix when up-potting. I always add nutrients when watering the rest of the time.

Most potting soils are PH buffered really well making PH adjustments pretty useless. I'd be very surprised if you aren't already in the zone - around 6.0.

Your pots look like they are only about half full. Is there a reason you didn't either start in smaller pots, or fill the ones you have? It is hard to tell just how much soil they are working with.
Not sure if that's correct. I'd get a meter and get whatever I'm adding was at least 7.0

Sent from my LG-H901 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Most potting soils are PH buffered really well making PH adjustments pretty useless. I'd be very surprised if you aren't already in the zone - around 6.0.

Your pots look like they are only about half full. Is there a reason you didn't either start in smaller pots, or fill the ones you have? It is hard to tell just how much soil they are working with.
Even if that soil started out "hot" it will be pretty neutral after a month or so.
.check the ph....your grow will benefit .

Not sure if that's correct. I'd get a meter and get whatever I'm adding was at least 7.0

Even if that soil started out "hot" it will be pretty neutral after a month or so.
.check the ph....your grow will benefit .

It is absolutely true for me, but my tap water is at 7.0 to begin with. I've never adjusted the PH of it. The Promix is on the acid side and by the time I mix nutrients with plain tap water, it is around 6.3. The soil is not hot. In fact it has noting it the way of nutrients in it. The lime used to raise its PH and buffer against PH swings breaks down very slowly. I've run the same soil three times witout the PH changing.

Vlad - If you decide to get a meter, get the pen style for measuring liquids. They are cheap and work well. Do NOT get the kind you stick in the soil. They are useless.

It is absolutely true for me, but my tap water is at 7.0 to begin with. I've never adjusted the PH of it. The Promix is on the acid side and by the time I mix nutrients with plain tap water, it is around 6.3. The soil is not hot. In fact it has noting it the way of nutrients in it. The lime used to raise its PH and buffer against PH swings breaks down very slowly. I've run the same soil three times witout the PH changing.

Vlad - If you decide to get a meter, get the pen style for measuring liquids. They are cheap and work well. Do NOT get the kind you stick in the soil. They are useless.

I'll get the pen meter. Thanks S I almost bought the other.

From what I'm reading ProMix is peat based, and not soil. This works like soil? As you said, the only thing to add is nutes and water...do not add soil, correct? I've heard compost tea is good for watering. Every try that?

I'll get the pen meter. Thanks S I almost bought the other.

From what I'm reading ProMix is peat based, and not soil. This works like soil? As you said, the only thing to add is nutes and water...do not add soil, correct? I've heard compost tea is good for watering. Every try that?

I call it "my soil" but it is a soil-less peat/perlite/lime/wetting agent/myco blend. I do not add soil to it but you could if you want. I prefer to KNOW what is in my potting mix and soil doesn't do that. I either add bottled nutrients or amend the Promix with a nutrients. I've used teas but it is not my usual way to work. Nothing wrong with it - just not my thing right now. Basically, I'm lazy so if I'm doing OK with a scheme, I tend to modify it slowly rather than switch gears.

Back
Top Bottom