First Time Grower! - Bubba Kush! - Advice Appreciated!

It is absolutely true for me, but my tap water is at 7.0 to begin with. I've never adjusted the PH of it. The Promix is on the acid side and by the time I mix nutrients with plain tap water, it is around 6.3. The soil is not hot. In fact it has noting it the way of nutrients in it. The lime used to raise its PH and buffer against PH swings breaks down very slowly. I've run the same soil three times witout the PH changing.

Vlad - If you decide to get a meter, get the pen style for measuring liquids. They are cheap and work well. Do NOT get the kind you stick in the soil. They are useless.
Interesting. Decent tap water.
Subscribe to my journal and you'll get a kick out of my out door using well water.
Comes out of the ground 6.2
I'm interested in recycling soil outdoor.

Sent from my LG-H901 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Interesting. Decent tap water.
Subscribe to my journal and you'll get a kick out of my out door using well water.
Comes out of the ground 6.2
I'm interested in recycling soil outdoor.

Sent from my LG-H901 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Funny (sort of). I'm on a private well, too. We were lucky to get good water and lots of it. And no chlorine or water softeners to dink around with!

I use one of the cheapo types like this. I think it was about $12-$14 with two calibration solutions. It hasn't let me down yet in nearly two years of use.

311QmJenOYL.jpg

Which nutrients do you use? I'm going to order the ph meter you suggested. I also bought the pro mix. want to make sure I have all the correct nutes. Thanks again!

I've used a variety. I'm still on the fence as to what I will end up using long term. I've used both the Gen Hydro Flora series (Gro, Micro, Bloom) and Hydro Org Earth Juice for bottled. For amending the soil I used a local mix and am now trying to make my own. My goal is to find a balance of amendment so all I do is water - nothing else. It is probably going to take many cycles to get it down. In the mean time I top dress with additional amendment or supplement with organic nutes and whatever I have (fish ferts, Epsom, calcium nitrate, etc.). My biggest struggle is in late bloom, both with leaf fade, but also with those GD mites. Oh - I've also use Doc Bud's High Brix amendments and nutrients. My current test is to try and build a less expensive potting mix from locally available cheap ingredients: sawdust and pumice. I did this because I'm using large pots and didn't want to buy 500's of gallons of potting soil.

Come to think of it, I lied. I do add worm castings to my Promix at the rate of 1 cu-ft per 3.8 cu-ft bale. That is added regardless of what feeding method I use.

you might wanna grab a TDS meter to test your ppm of your water if its really low gonna need to add cal/mag to it.. also some tap water in some places is very high and wouldnt suggest using tap water over 350ppm could cause build up in your plants and stop them from getting the nutrients they need.. also leave your water out for 24-48 hours to let chlorine evaporate.. another thing is let your tap run on cold for 30-45 seconds before you pour into watering jugs due to the pipes with the hot water brake of rust and other elements thats are harmful for cannabis.. happy growing hope that was some help

p.s my current grow is using pro mix and tap water feel free to check it out might help a bit

I've used a variety. I'm still on the fence as to what I will end up using long term. I've used both the Gen Hydro Flora series (Gro, Micro, Bloom) and Hydro Org Earth Juice for bottled. For amending the soil I used a local mix and am now trying to make my own. My goal is to find a balance of amendment so all I do is water - nothing else. It is probably going to take many cycles to get it down. In the mean time I top dress with additional amendment or supplement with organic nutes and whatever I have (fish ferts, Epsom, calcium nitrate, etc.). My biggest struggle is in late bloom, both with leaf fade, but also with those GD mites. Oh - I've also use Doc Bud's High Brix amendments and nutrients. My current test is to try and build a less expensive potting mix from locally available cheap ingredients: sawdust and pumice. I did this because I'm using large pots and didn't want to buy 500's of gallons of potting soil.

Come to think of it, I lied. I do add worm castings to my Promix at the rate of 1 cu-ft per 3.8 cu-ft bale. That is added regardless of what feeding method I use.

Great info here, Major. Placed an order for the exact ph meter you suggested, worm castings, and some fish fertilizer along with organic compost tea - my father-in-law recommended the latter.

Love the idea of making your own goods. Please keep us posted.

Does anyone know how to subscribe to other's grow diaries?

you might wanna grab a TDS meter to test your ppm of your water if its really low gonna need to add cal/mag to it.. also some tap water in some places is very high and wouldnt suggest using tap water over 350ppm could cause build up in your plants and stop them from getting the nutrients they need.. also leave your water out for 24-48 hours to let chlorine evaporate.. another thing is let your tap run on cold for 30-45 seconds before you pour into watering jugs due to the pipes with the hot water brake of rust and other elements thats are harmful for cannabis.. happy growing hope that was some help

p.s my current grow is using pro mix and tap water feel free to check it out might help a bit

More great info. Thanks. I wasn't letting my water sit at all before watering. Will do that now.

The TDS meter measures water purity, correct? So if it's off I would add calcium/magnesium. Can you suggest a meter to purchase? And would it make sense to add dead sea salt or am I crazy? I have pure dead sea salt from Israel for bathing, and thought plants may like it?

Does anyone know how to subscribe to other's grow diaries?

If you post in any thread, you are automatically subscribed. If you want to subscribe and remain stealthy, you can use the "Thread Tools" drop down at the top of the page.

I'd be happy as a pig in poop if you'd like to follow my grow with the new soil mix. Watch me soar ... or crash and burn! :rofl:

When does one usually top their plants and how often? From what I read it's after the 3rd node. You just snip the newest growing node and this will help the plant grow horizontally, leading to a better yield.

I wouldn't go earlier than the 3rd node. I usually wait until the 5th.
How often varies tremendously with the strain being grown, your space, amount of time in veg, number of plants, etc.
I grew a Golden Tiger cross (pure sativa) last time that was a freak of nature. In my current grow I'm aiming for a minimum of 60 main bud sites - hopefully more.

I wouldn't go earlier than the 3rd node. I usually wait until the 5th.
How often varies tremendously with the strain being grown, your space, amount of time in veg, number of plants, etc.
I grew a Golden Tiger cross (pure sativa) last time that was a freak of nature. In my current grow I'm aiming for a minimum of 60 main bud sites - hopefully more.

Ah. Got it. I'll wait until the 5th, at least. My girls are still pulling out of their funk, so I'll wait for more strength to build. They're not very big right now, so I imagine they'll be in veg at least another 5 or so weeks.

I'm growing Bubba Kush - indica - and I don't have a high ceiling. So the wider the better for me.

Day 30

Some changes per all of your advice. Repotted two of the sickly looking plants into Smart Pots with ProMix HP. During this process I noticed very minimal root development, which is troubling. You can see a vat of rain water with a bag of Bu's Compost Tea brewing. I watered the new transplants with this. Learned that I should water the ProMix before transplanting. As you can see I could have added more Mix - it shrunk after it was watered.

Waiting for my worm compost in the mail along with my pH meter and some nutes. I'll see how the new transplants take. Will leave the two healthier plants in the plastic pots for awhile and take it from there. May top the largest plant this week.

Excited here. Hopefully two plants will rebound and the other two will continue to thrive. Looking forward to all of your thoughts. And thanks again for all the guidance.

IMG_20160523_083056.jpg

Would you say I have about another month in vegetative stage for the top two plants? Thinking of topping the plants soon too.

How much vertical room do you have?

Back
Top Bottom