GDB: Old Dog -- New Tricks

Good morning all and Happy Sunday!

No pics today, just words. I hope it doesn't turn out to be too many words. This is mostly for me. I'm going to begin doing status reports on my grows every 25 days. I'll bookmark the reports so I'll have a handy way of reviewing past grows at specific points in time. After doing this for a while I'll have what I believe will be lots handy reference points.

All I have to do is remember to do the status report every 25 days!

New Trick Grow Day 25

The plants are doing fairly well. They all seem to like the swick bases. The LB & HL, on Strive nutrients, are outpacing the CL & BC that are on Grow Dots. However, the former two are exhibiting canoed leaves, likely due to either heat or light stress. My guess is heat stress. We've had an unseasonably warm spell over the past week with temps nearing 80F. Inside the tent once reached as high as 99F. I've been able to mitigate a bit by leaving the tent door open during lights on. Still, temps are hovering around the mid-80s. The heatwave is due to end today, with temps returning to the 50s. That should help.

---------------------------

The LB & HL also are showing some minor leaf-tip burn. They're probably getting a tad too much N. The Strive folks say to periodically just feed plain water when using Strive. However, they don't say how often plain-water feeds should be done. They merely say to observe the plants. Well, I'm observing. I've given them nothing but nutrient feeds since they were transplanted. I guess it's time for some plain water. Rather than let their reservoirs run dry I'll top them off with plain water. Then when that diluted feed is nearly gone, I fill the reservoirs with plain water. Then after that is gone I'll start with the Strive feed again. From this point forward, I'll do the plain-water feeds at least once a week (while, of course, observing the plants and how they react).

During this grow, I'm using the 1000 watt Phlizon FD8000 for the first time. It's a big, bright galoot but it runs quite hot. There is no way to separate the driver from the body of the light. The light (along with the weather) is definitely a culprit as relates to the hot tent. I hung the light high (2 feet above the canopy) and have been running it at 100%. This put me at around 38K LUX. I need to get better at working with my grow lights. I think I'm leaving something on the table by not doing a better job managing the amount of lights my plants receive. Hopefully, not for much longer because....

...On this past Thursday, my raggedy-ass IPhone 7 finally bit the dust. It would no longer send/receive calls or text messages. (This after the selfie camera stopped working about 6 years ago and the camera display stopped rotating to horizontal about 4 years ago!) The broken selfie-cam meant that I could not use any of the light measuring apps available for cell phones. Well, yesterday I replaced my relic with a IPhone 14. I've downloaded the Photone app and will start messing with it today!

As I suspected, none of the water-level indicators on the swick bases function properly. They get stuck indicating that the reservoirs are full when they actually are not. It's not a deal breaker; one can eyeball the reservoir to see if there's water inside. I'm still going to let AC Infinity know about the issue.

----------------------------

I have not topped any of the plants yet. All I've done is remove the bottom 3 nodes from each. These plants will be a little taller than I prefer but it's my fault.

-----------------------------

My tap water comes out at a Ph of 7. I discovered that 10ml of Ph down brings a 4-gallon bucket of my tap water right to 5.8 or damn close to it!

That's all I wanted to say to myself. I'll post this page and then bookmark it as "New Trick Summary D25."

Hopefully, by the time Day 50 arrives I will not have forgotten about this new initiative! :)

Thanks for your time and have yourselves a joyous Sunday.

PEACE

Na ah, but you can imagine an older overweight man in flaming pink flamingo man panties if you want. :rofl: ā˜˜ļø
Hey where were we talking about tinctures yesterday? I made some.
I don't want! :laugh:

How did the tincture turn out? Since you were sporting pink panties, do I even need to ask?

No pics today, just words. I hope it doesn't turn out to be too many words. This is mostly for me. I'm going to begin doing status reports on my grows every 25 days. I'll bookmark the reports so I'll have a handy way of reviewing past grows at specific points in time. After doing this for a while I'll have what I believe will be lots handy reference points.

New Trick Grow Day 25

The plants are doing fairly well. They all seem to like the swick bases. The LB & HL, on Strive nutrients, are outpacing the CL & BC that are on Grow Dots. However, the former two are exhibiting canoed leaves, likely due to either heat or light stress. My guess is heat stress. We've had an unseasonably warm spell over the past week with temps nearing 80F. Inside the tent once reached as high as 99F. I've been able to mitigate a bit by leaving the tent door open during lights on. Still, temps are hovering around the mid-80s. The heatwave is due to end today, with temps returning to the 50s. That should help.

The LB & HL also are showing some minor leaf-tip burn. They're probably getting a tad too much N. The Strive folks say to periodically just feed plain water when using Strive. However, they don't say how often plain-water feeds should be done. They merely say to observe the plants. Well, I'm observing. I've given them nothing but nutrient feeds since they were transplanted. I guess it's time for some plain water. Rather than let their reservoirs run dry I'll top them off with plain water. Then when that diluted feed is nearly gone, I fill the reservoirs with plain water. Then after that is gone I'll start with the Strive feed again. From this point forward, I'll do the plain-water feeds at least once a week (while, of course, observing the plants and how they react).

During this grow, I'm using the 1000 watt Phlizon FD8000 for the first time. It's a big, bright galoot but it runs quite hot. There is no way to separate the driver from the body of the light. The light (along with the weather) is definitely a culprit as relates to the hot tent. I hung the light high (2 feet above the canopy) and have been running it at 100%. This put me at around 38K LUX. I need to get better at working with my grow lights. I think I'm leaving something on the table by not doing a better job managing the amount of lights my plants receive. Hopefully, not for much longer because....

...On this past Thursday, my raggedy-ass IPhone 7 finally bit the dust. It will no longer send/receive calls nor text messages. (This after the selfie camera stopped working about 6 years ago and the camera display stopped rotating to horizontal about 4 years ago!) The broken selfie-cam meant that I could not use any of the light measuring apps on my phone. Well, yesterday I replaced my relic with a IPhone 14. I've downloaded the Photone app and will start messing with it today!

As I suspected, none of the water-level indicators on the swick bases function properly. They get stuck indicating that the reservoirs are full when they actually are not. It's not a deal breaker; one can eyeball the reservoir to see if there's water inside. I'm still going to let AC Infinity know about the issue.

I have not topped any of the plants yet. All I've done is remove the bottom 3 nodes from each. These plants will be a little taller than I prefer but it's my fault.

My tap water comes out at a Ph of 7. I discovered that 10ml of Ph down brings a 4-gallon bucket of my tap water right to 5.8 or damn close to it!

That's all I wanted to say to myself. I'll post this page and then bookmark it as "New Trick Summary D25."

Hopefully, by the time Day 50 arrives I will not have forgotten about this new initiative! :)

PEACE
sounds like a solid plan, new phone nice better than a samslung for pics, so you'll only post every 25 days or thats just for the status report?

I don't want! :laugh:

How did the tincture turn out? Since you were sporting pink panties, do I even need to ask?
That was yesterday man! It's palm trees today! :rofl: It came out really good! I just now finished doing the math. Here ya go.
Check my math before believing me please.

The recipe: Edit: Thankfully InTheShed has mentioned that rosen has been historically in the 70 to 80% area thc. I remember reading that now! I can't fix this right now. I presume the fix is to divide drops by 4? If 80% Since I used 20%. This tincture may be 4 x stronger than 7.5.
7.5 x 4 = 30mg per 8 drops Yikes!

4 grams of rosen @ 20% thc . Decarbed for 35 minutes on a stovetop at 230 to 250F. Until it stopped bubbling. Then I added the oil 10 ml at a time stirring.

That 20% = .8 grams thc

I plugged those numbers into a dosing calculator

And used 7.5 mg for the end dose
40 ml for my oil which is fractionated coconut oil
And .8 grams for input weight

The calculator gave me .4 ml for the dose.

So I went to the drops to ml conversion place

And got 8 drops to dose 7.5 mg of thc. New updated thc figure is 8 drops = 30 mg thc I'm almost sure. Gratitude to @InTheShed ! I hope the new figure is correct. You all have to be able to understand that this is strongish. I find it perfect. My wife will probable want to dilute it by 50%. It's all good as long as testing is one drop at a time if you're easy to get high with edibles. My opinion.

Edit 2: So I plugged 3200 in in
stead of 800 in the thc section of the calculator for weight amounts and got .1 ml and in the drops calculator that works out to 2 drops. That's pretty strong! I'm doubling my wifes before a mistake happens.

I tried 5 or 6 drops 2 hours ago and had/have a good mild Zoot. My wife tried 2 drops and she was happy with that for a first try. I could double my go at it for a good Zooting. It was mild yet there. Still is. Most folks would be happy with that I think. My edible tolerance is weird. It's pleasant in my mouth as I held it as long as I could sub ling.
Don't forget to check my math before you do yours folks.

31 minutes since and it's Zoot city! This might replace toking more than I thought. Thanks for the collaboration @InTheShed ! I'm in need of a village! ā˜˜ļø

New Trick Grow Day 25

...On this past Thursday, my raggedy-ass IPhone 7 finally bit the dust. It will no longer send/receive calls nor text messages. (This after the selfie camera stopped working about 6 years ago and the camera display stopped rotating to horizontal about 4 years ago!) The broken selfie-cam meant that I could not use any of the light measuring apps on my phone. Well, yesterday I replaced my relic with a IPhone 14. I've downloaded the Photone app and will start messing with it today!

PEACE
Hi
I had some time to catch up on this journal today and It is really well done. I was wondering about your choice to run the new light at 100% and up high as you are struggling with heat in the tent. I assume the light is adjustable and you could choose to lower it and run a lower intensity. As an added bonus, this would use less electricity, lowering your cost. Any thoughts on this?

sounds like a solid plan, new phone nice better than a samslung for pics, so you'll only post every 25 days or thats just for the status report?
That's just for the status reports con.

Only post every 25 days? You're confusing me with @MrSauga! :straightface:

That was yesterday man! It's palm trees today! :rofl: It came out really good! I just now finished doing the math. Here ya go.
Check my math before believing me please.

The recipe

4 grams of rosen @ 20% thc . Decarbed for 35 minutes on a stovetop at 230 to 250F. Until it stopped bubbling. Then I added the oil 10 ml at a time stirring.

That 20% = .8 grams thc

I plugged those numbers into a dosing calculator

And used 7.5 mg for the end dose
40 ml for my oil which is fractionated coconut oil
And .8 grams for input weight

The calculator gave me .4 ml for the dose.

So I went to the drops to ml conversion place

And got 8 drops to dose 7.5 mg of thc.

I tried 5 or 6 drops 2 hours ago and had/have a good mild Zoot. My wife tried 2 drops and she was happy with that for a first try. I could double my go at it for a good Zooting. It was mild yet there. Still is. Most folks would be happy with that I think. My edible tolerance is weird. It's pleasant in my mouth as I held it as long as I could sub ling.
Don't forget to check my math before you do yours folks.
Bad timing for me Stone. I'm zooted and damn near tooted, to boot!

I read your math and all I got was...

I'm gonna' come back and read it again at another time! :)

Hi
I had some time to catch up on this journal today and It is really well done. I was wondering about your choice to run the new light at 100% and up high as you are struggling with heat in the tent. I assume the light is adjustable and you could choose to lower it and run a lower intensity. As an added bonus, this would use less electricity, lowering your cost. Any thoughts on this?
Quite a few thoughts on this SC! I talked about it here...

The Phlizon FD8000 runs hot, much hotter than the light it replaced. I'm leaving the tent doors open during the period when the lights are on. But I'm also running the light at 100%, hung high. I'm considering reducing the power and lowering the light. That should help a little bit.

I positioned the lights up high at full blast because it gave me the proper intensity for the moment. I want the plants to grow up into the light while adjusting the light's intensity as needed. Why? Because the way my tent is designed (it narrows at the top) makes raising and lowering that "big" light a PITA.
With the change in the weather, the tent is at 81F right now. RH is 55%. I can live with that.

Are you going to run the light at 1000 watts for the whole grow?
I doubt it Carcass.

Now that I'm armed with the Photone app I'll probably be adjusting it about every half hour! šŸ˜

No, seriously. I probably will not. But I'll be honest, getting in there to lower it (so I can turn it down) is not something I look forward to doing. :straightface:

I hung the light high (2 feet above the canopy) and have been running it at 100%. This put me at around 38K LUX.
Is 38k what the photone app says?
The reason I ask, is at 185 watts, and 2 feet away from my light, the lux reading is 40k..
I wonder if my meter is wonky or something...:hmmmm:

Is 38k what the photone app says?
The reason I ask, is at 185 watts, and 2 feet away from my light, the lux reading is 40k..
I wonder if my meter is wonky or something...:hmmmm:
I think my lux meter is wonky!

I'll post about when I start using the Photone app.

Right now my fav golf tournament, The Players, is in the way. :)

Enjoy that tournament, GDBšŸ‘

That's just for the status reports con.

Only post every 25 days? You're confusing me with @MrSauga! :straightface:
yeah kinda a dumb question, the last week has been bad for brain function, doc appointmrnt in 2 weeks if i can remember

Quite a few thoughts on this SC! I talked about it here...

With the change in the weather, the tent is at 81F right now. RH is 55%. I can live with that.
I see the same thoughts go through our heads. 81F and 55% RH- Can't argue with that.
I hadn't really registered that lowering the light would be more of a chore in the "playhouse". (I think thats a good name for this tent by the way).

Looking great brother I'm back up to date! If not too much trouble would you consider switching the front ladies to the back and see if growth speed switches up?

Also not sure if you noted in your notes as I'm blizzled lol sounds like something trala would say anyways ho many days does it take to empty the trays? And does your mix sit stable in that time?

A few short questions made long by me šŸ˜Ž but their looking good all round bro šŸ‘ŒāœŒļø

As I recall, rosin is usually calculated closer to 70-80% THC since you're extracting the trichomes from the flower.
Hmmm. That changes everything I'm almost sure. Thanks for that!!
It doesn't feel wrong, but I'm the guy that needs extra edibles. I re dosed 10 minutes ago with maybe 10 or 15 drops and I'm nice and high. Not hold my hand please high though. Hehe high enough to not hit post! That was a kitchen clean and a shower ago! This is the good stuff! Btw it was some outdoor Stankberry from 2 summers ago. 50/50 mix he says.
Thanks again!

yeah kinda a dumb question, the last week has been bad for brain function, doc appointmrnt in 2 weeks if i can remember
I could have been clearer. :)

Back
Top Bottom