Grandpa Likes To Squeeze Stuff: Solventless Extracts, Rosin, Pressed Here!

Finally got my lazy ass out to press the Dosidos.
I’m going back to coconut oil this batch with a full teaspoon of lecithin .

Later I’ll have to figure the amount to mix , last batch did 50 mL of evoo at 4 grams it’s a knock out for everyone except me . Was thinking 150 mL this round any suggestions? #5001 post

Can rosin be warmed to hot water temp and made soft enough to pull up into syringes or should I store it using some other method? I'll be switching from ethanol washes to pressing rosin soon. Thanks!
Yes. I often decarb my rosin and when it’s cooled enough I use a syringe for filling capsules. I have also stored rosin in silicon containers and vacuum sealed inside the freezer for months.

I go pretty heavy then. 4g to 25ml of EVOO is what I would do, but I like to shake in the corner for a few... :headbanger:
I have gotten use to the one with 50 mL but everyone else falls out . I need to keep the company awake so they can go home . I see what your saying is to find my sweet spot muck everyone else ?
Our favorite bar is back open and I thought I’d make some that doesn’t cause tempary paralysis , I’ll bring a few Of the bad ones for the chudocs that I know looks for fights and couch lock them while the rest of us finish the night !

Is that before or after you add a carrier oil? Specifically I'm talking about just rosin, nothing added.
Yes, sorry. Lately I’ve been adding lecithin right after decarbing and while it’s hot. Then as soon as it’s cooled down enough to fill the syringe and capsules without melting anything I go ahead and finish. It’s only a few minutes.

I have gotten use to the one with 50 mL but everyone else falls out . I need to keep the company awake so they can go home . I see what your saying is to find my sweet spot muck everyone else ?
Our favorite bar is back open and I thought I’d make some that doesn’t cause tempary paralysis , I’ll bring a few Of the bad ones for the chudocs that I know looks for fights and couch lock them while the rest of us finish the night !
Yeah, I only make capsules for myself and I’m being partly facetious, but finding that sweet spot takes some experience for each of us. That should be a hoot though! :rofl:

I store my pressed rosin in silicone containers, which in turn are stored in canning jars I keep in the freezer. I pull them out and thaw them to mix the various rosins with oil and lecithin whenever I make more capsules.

I checked EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) last night and today. I tossed my bottle into the fridge overnight, and it remained a liquid. It solidified in the freezer within a few hours.

Cocoa butter is highly recommended if you want to make suppositories. It melts at a higher temperature than virgin coconut oil which is a solid at room temperatures, so you don't need to encapsulate it. You may wonder why I mention suppositories. They have twice the bioavailability of tinctures or infusions used on oral mucus membranes, about three times the bioavailability of edibles including capsules, and can carry the large doses required for cancer treatments. The cannabinoids bypass the stomach and liver, which gives them the higher bioavailability.

Hey guys I will be shopping for a rosin press soon, looking for some advice, I'd like to stay under $2000, it will be well used so would like it to be reliable. Looking for best tonnage for pressing and if I should go with something electrical or manual, any advice is much appreciated :peace:

Hey guys I will be shopping for a rosin press soon, looking for some advice, I'd like to stay under $2000, it will be well used so would like it to be reliable. Looking for best tonnage for pressing and if I should go with something electrical or manual, any advice is much appreciated :peace:

How much are you going to press in a session? I can make the pucks, press them, and collect the rosin from a pound of flower in a day using my 10 ton Dabpress Driptech with 3" x 5" plates. I press two 1/4 oz (7 gm) pucks per press cycle. I like the manual pump with the pressure gauge, as the pressure drops after initially reaching the desired pressure. This can go on for 1/2 minute or so before it stabilizes.

Whether to choose a manual or an electrical pump depends on your physical condition, and how much you plan to process at a time. Electric pumps can be sourced through Amazon if your press with a hydraulic ram does not have one.

You will need pre-press molds. I strongly recommend the three piece mold over the two piece molds, as they contain the material while forming the pucks. I recommend two if you press more than 1/2 lb per session as they gum up with rosin. You can let one soak in alcohol while using the other. You'll need a clamp for the molds. I use a 6" Irwin.

Parchment is required. There are several recommendations earlier in this thread. I cut the parchment so it's 1" (2.5cm) wider than the plates, 6" or 15cm for my 3" x 5" plates. A length of 12" or 30cm, the width of my rolls work well. Parchment is available in 12" (30cm) and 14" (35cm) wide rolls.

A timer is very useful for consistent results. I use a app on my smart phone that allows multiple timers to be linked, automatically starting the next when one finishes. I press in three stages:
  • Stage 1: Preheat - press plates closed, just deforming the puck(s);
  • Stage 2: Low pressure - about half my final pressure; and
  • Stage 3: High Pressure - final pressure.
This is a long thread that has a lot of very good information. It can be hard to find, so ask. One of us will know the information you need, or know where to find it.

Here’s Grandpa Tokin’s setup, talking Cadillac!

How much are you going to press in a session? I can make the pucks, press them, and collect the rosin from a pound of flower in a day using my 10 ton Dabpress Driptech with 3" x 5" plates. I press two 1/4 oz (7 gm) pucks per press cycle. I like the manual pump with the pressure gauge, as the pressure drops after initially reaching the desired pressure. This can go on for 1/2 minute or so before it stabilizes.

Whether to choose a manual or an electrical pump depends on your physical condition, and how much you plan to process at a time. Electric pumps can be sourced through Amazon if your press with a hydraulic ram does not have one.

You will need pre-press molds. I strongly recommend the three piece mold over the two piece molds, as they contain the material while forming the pucks. I recommend two if you press more than 1/2 lb per session as they gum up with rosin. You can let one soak in alcohol while using the other. You'll need a clamp for the molds. I use a 6" Irwin.

Parchment is required. There are several recommendations earlier in this thread. I cut the parchment so it's 1" (2.5cm) wider than the plates, 6" or 15cm for my 3" x 5" plates. A length of 12" or 30cm, the width of my rolls work well. Parchment is available in 12" (30cm) and 14" (35cm) wide rolls.

A timer is very useful for consistent results. I use a app on my smart phone that allows multiple timers to be linked, automatically starting the next when one finishes. I press in three stages:
  • Stage 1: Preheat - press plates closed, just deforming the puck(s);
  • Stage 2: Low pressure - about half my final pressure; and
  • Stage 3: High Pressure - final pressure.
This is a long thread that has a lot of very good information. It can be hard to find, so ask. One of us will know the information you need, or know where to find it.
Awesome thank you so much old salt, you answered every question I had and I need not look farther, manual sounds better to me because of reliability less breakdowns, if I can do a pound in a day that's more than enough,
Will definitely be learning from this thread :peace:

Here’s Grandpa Tokin’s setup, talking Cadillac!
Thank you west hippie, thats a beauty setup.

Thank you west hippie, thats a beauty setup.
This is the one I bought, after accessory’s $800
1590765798843.jpeg

Nice setup, I like that.
DabPress is definitely what I would be looking at, and you’re budget is more than enough IMO. I sometimes wish I had a tabletop rig, but I’m okay with the behemoth I built... :cheesygrinsmiley:

I use mine at least once a week. Please post pictures when you smash stuff. :love:

DabPress is definitely what I would be looking at, and you’re budget is more than enough IMO. I sometimes wish I had a tabletop rig, but I’m okay with the behemoth I built... :cheesygrinsmiley:

I use mine at least once a week. Please post pictures when you smash stuff. :love:
I'm looking at DabPress on Amazon Canada, 10 ton but no hand pump, I am on the search for that lol, good price at 640 can and I assume the hand pump will be a couple hundred but still well below my budget.
Indeed I will be posting my progress, I'm off to a great start with everyone's help, much appreciated :peace:

Back
Top Bottom