Growing Skunkberry & Purple Sage Strains

re: Growing Skunkberry & Purple Sage Strains

I have a question, do the plants expend energy growing leaves that could be spent on growing flowers?
Good question! And, I'm not sure of the answer :-( Anyway, I pull the leaves between the end of the two week stretch and just before they start to really build flower development in weeks three and four. I would guess that since the plant grows leaves during the first 3/4ths of flower anyway along with building buds that it doesn't affect it. The reason removing small scrub buds from below the light in flower affects the yield is because the small buds are using the same energy as top buds and when you remove the small ones the energy goes to the buds that are left. With leaves, I believe that since it is basically using different parts of the nutrient that is the reason I think it won't affect yield negatively. :) Anyone else wanna chime in?

Good question! And, I'm not sure of the answer :-( Anyway, I pull the leaves between the end of the two week stretch and just before they start to really build flower development in weeks three and four. I would guess that since the plant grows leaves during the first 3/4ths of flower anyway along with building buds that it doesn't affect it. The reason removing small scrub buds from below the light in flower affects the yield is because the small buds are using the same energy as top buds and when you remove the small ones the energy goes to the buds that are left. With leaves, I believe that since it is basically using different parts of the nutrient that is the reason I think it won't affect yield negatively. :) Anyone else wanna chime in?

By far, the leaves are the location where most of the photosynthesis is happening, actually, if it's on a plant and green, photosynthesis is happening. I just have never understood why someone would remove the things that make the plant function. I will take a few now and then that block light, but I dont remove leaves unless they are over 80% not green. Leaves dont take from the plant body so much as they give. I did a defoliation on a plant I have now and so far it looks stunted, when my plants begin to flower real good they stop making leaves at all, except the bud leaves.

My guess is that because we feed so heavy and so often that the plant still absorbs and processes nutrients. And, since the new leaves are visible within a few days they really don't miss a beat. When did you pull the leaves? I believe timing is important as well. With a big defoliation I like to do it as stated above. I believe it has less impact because the plant is between stretching and a bud building cycle and has a few days to recover. This is what I think helps jump-start the lower buds by providing more intense light. I noticed bigger and better buds by doing this.

My guess is that because we feed so heavy and so often that the plant still absorbs and processes nutrients. And, since the new leaves are visible within a few days they really don't miss a beat. When did you pull the leaves? I believe timing is important as well. With a big defoliation I like to do it as stated above. I believe it has less impact because the plant is between stretching and a bud building cycle and has a few days to recover. This is what I think helps jump-start the lower buds by providing more intense light. I noticed bigger and better buds by doing this.

It goes against every horicultural theory I ever learned, but if it helps you, then go for it. I'm stickin with cervantes on this one. Every plant process is completely dependent on photosynthesis, carried out in the leaves, less leaves less photosynthesis. I HAVE heard of folks defoliating to purposely slow a plant down, but I will just put the smaller ones on something to get em to the same height as the others.

It goes against every horicultural theory I ever learned, but if it helps you, then go for it. I'm stickin with cervantes on this one. Every plant process is completely dependent on photosynthesis, carried out in the leaves, less leaves less photosynthesis. I HAVE heard of folks defoliating to purposely slow a plant down, but I will just put the smaller ones on something to get em to the same height as the others.

If you continually pull the leaves I believe that this would slow down the plant. However, with one good defoliation you'll notice that it makes a big impact on lower bud sites. They shoot up quickly and seem to be bigger than when not giving the lower buds the extra light for a few days. Within five days the plants look like they didn't have fan leaves pulled. So anyway, I like your input and appreciate the information :)

Here are some shots from last night and this morning. I found two plants that are requiring more nutrients than the rest. Their leaves were yellowing so I gave them extra nutes yesterday. Today they are showing green on the new growth. Guess I'll mix up a stronger mix and hand-water those two.

1-DSCN0313.JPG

2-DSCN0316.JPG

3-DSCN0319.JPG

4-DSCN0323.JPG

This is the Purple Sage. You can see the Sativa in her for sure.
5-DSCN0326.JPG

Day 28 of flower photo update. I am feeding them the following:
BPN Grow 8 ml/gal
BPN Bloom 16 ml/gal
BPN Early Bloomer 4 ml/gal
BPN Liquid Blue 4 ml/gal
Silica 2.5 ml/gal
Molasses 1/4 tsp/gal
Sour Dee 10 ml/gal

Water temp 70.8
PH 5.6
PPM 656

I did a flush with 1/2 strength nutes because I locked out Iron due to a ph of 6.6 because I forgot to check it the day of watering. So, they are doing well and are growing green again :) They are frosting up nicely and stink really good.

01-DSCN0335.JPG

03-DSCN0339.JPG

02-DSCN0338.JPG

04-DSCN0340.JPG

06-DSCN0343.JPG

07-DSCN0346.JPG

09-DSCN0353.JPG

10-DSCN0355.JPG

Peace!

Wow beautiful you can truly tell you love your ladies!! Did you count day 1 of flowering after transition or are those just super fat for day 28 since flip??

Wow beautiful you can truly tell you love your ladies!! Did you count day 1 of flowering after transition or are those just super fat for day 28 since flip??

Thanks Doc! They were switched 32 days ago but lately I have been starting with the day they start showing signs of flowering which has usually been about 4 or 5 days. I still only give plain water for the first 7 days after the flip. It seems to work out really well. Also, I switched back to giving them molasses all the way through so I think that helps significantly with making large buds quickly. They still have about 4 1/2 weeks to go. I hope they get big ;-)

Today is day 41 of flower​

The ppm were coming out high so I gave them a good flush. Today was the first feeding since the flush and they are hungry. I cut my base nutrients by 50% because I am using House & Garden Shooting Powder. The Shooting Powder has the following ratios: 0 -.9 -.25 I fed the following:

1 pack for 25 gallons - H & G Shooting powder
BPN Grow 4 ml/gal
BPN Bloom 8 ml/gal
BPN Early Bloomer 1 ml/gal
BPN Liquid Blue 2 ml/gal
Silica 3 ml/gal
Molasses 1/4 tsp/gal
Sour Dee 10 ml/gal
Sugaree 10 ml/gal

Water temp 71.3
PH 5.6
PPM 780

Here's the pics:
01-DSCN0368.JPG

02-DSCN0369.JPG

05-DSCN0373.JPG

07-DSCN0375.JPG

15-DSCN0383.JPG

06-DSCN0374.JPG

18-DSCN0386.JPG

19-DSCN0387.JPG

23-DSCN0391.JPG

22-DSCN0390.JPG

I love when they get close to finishing :)

Thanks JB42 and Bassman!

Day 49 of Flower picture Update

1-DSCN0438.JPG

2-DSCN0439.JPG

4-DSCN0441.JPG

3-DSCN0440.JPG

5-DSCN0442.JPG

The room is full of those buds and they still have about two weeks left. They are nice and dense too :)
Hope they keep growing well....
:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom