How seedbanks calculate the yields

AliceGG

So I ordered my first ever seeds, they are on their way, and in the meantime I got some questions in my head. Here's one:

• THC: 14%
  • CBD: Low
  • Yield Indoor : 500 - 550 gr/m2
  • Yield Outdoor: 170 - 220 gr/plant
  • Height Indoor: 80 - 120 cm
  • Height Outdoor: 130 - 160 cm
  • Flowering time: 5 - 7 weeks
  • Harvest Month: 9-10 weeks after sprouting
  • Genetic Background: Northern Light x Ruderalis
  • Type: Sativa 0% Indica 80% Ruderalis 20%
  • Effect: Cerebral and uplifting
  • Flavor: Earthy, Pine, Sweet
  • Climate: Warm
This is the data sheet of the Northern Light Automatic seed from Royal Queen Seeds. How do these seedbanks/breeders provide the /m2 number? I mean I'm aware of the fact that I won't get even near that yield as a first time grower, but I'm curious if anyone has an idea, what are the requirements for those numbers. It's about a 3,3×3,3 ft grow space, I guess the number they provide is not an average yield for this strain but rather the maximum you can get if everything's perfect, am I right?
What do you think about it?

So I ordered my first ever seeds, they are on their way, and in the meantime I got some questions in my head. Here's one:

• THC: 14%
  • CBD: Low
  • Yield Indoor : 500 - 550 gr/m2
  • Yield Outdoor: 170 - 220 gr/plant
  • Height Indoor: 80 - 120 cm
  • Height Outdoor: 130 - 160 cm
  • Flowering time: 5 - 7 weeks
  • Harvest Month: 9-10 weeks after sprouting
  • Genetic Background: Northern Light x Ruderalis
  • Type: Sativa 0% Indica 80% Ruderalis 20%
  • Effect: Cerebral and uplifting
  • Flavor: Earthy, Pine, Sweet
  • Climate: Warm
This is the data sheet of the Northern Light Automatic seed from Royal Queen Seeds. How do these seedbanks/breeders provide the /m2 number? I mean I'm aware of the fact that I won't get even near that yield as a first time grower, but I'm curious if anyone has an idea, what are the requirements for those numbers. It's about a 3,3×3,3 ft grow space, I guess the number they provide is not an average yield for this strain but rather the maximum you can get if everything's perfect, am I right?
What do you think about it?
Its kind of a mix of both. Its the yields that their growers can get out of that strain consistently. But these are pros whos JOB it is to grow. Not just doing it for shits n gigs n free meds but big bucks lol

be assured the estimates provided by seed banks are under perfect conditions, with unlimited lighting, no space restrictions, and tended by a master grower.

those are the conditions they produce them under, so that is what they claim. with a little added on top for marketing purposes of course.

some very very lucky people may even reach those claims. better growers here may even exceed them.

So what do you think, how would an average first time grower perform compared to these numbers? Is it like 50% of what is shown on the data sheet, or is it even less?
I will do 4 plants in a 80×80cm (almost 3×3ft) tent in 10-11l (almost 3gal) airpots. They 3 AK autos (425-475) and 1 Jack Herer auto (350-400). I'm wondering if I can get like 150-180 grams off of these four plants.
Do you think it's realistic?

half zip to zip a plant if you have a hidden talent for it, horseshoes, and optimum conditions.

don't look for weight as a first time grower. look for experience.

the weight will come while experience is gained. everyone's conditions are unique, and your growing style becomes a part of that. take it easy and enjoy the trip first. plenty of time to become an expert later....

;)

So what do you think, how would an average first time grower perform compared to these numbers? Is it like 50% of what is shown on the data sheet, or is it even less?
I will do 4 plants in a 80×80cm (almost 3×3ft) tent in 10-11l (almost 3gal) airpots. They 3 AK autos (425-475) and 1 Jack Herer auto (350-400). I'm wondering if I can get like 150-180 grams off of these four plants.
Do you think it's realistic?

Don't worry too much and just grow. You will be surprised about your performance ;))

half zip to zip a plant if you have a hidden talent for it, horseshoes, and optimum conditions.

don't look for weight as a first time grower. look for experience.

the weight will come while experience is gained. everyone's conditions are unique, and your growing style becomes a part of that. take it easy and enjoy the trip first. plenty of time to become an expert later....

;)
Don’t mean to sound stupid but what’s a zip :lot-o-toke:hopefully you don’t mean one ounce

Don’t mean to sound stupid but what’s a zip :lot-o-toke:hopefully you don’t mean one ounce

Older terminology for an ounce, 4 fingers in a ziploc baggie was an ounce (or so as not everyone actually weighed it).

And everyone just trying to keep you grounded/realistic, as expecting 5 oz (zips ;) ) off your first grow per plant is setting yourself up for disappointment more than likely (I know little about Auto's but have a feeling that even a harder to reach number), not saying impossible but.......I been doing this a couple years and my max currently is just under 4 indoors and hit almost 5 outdoors last year (but she was over 6 ft tall which is tricky indoors ;) ) and that is per plant. Learning curve can be sharp and even with researching the heck out of everything and help from the wonderful folks here that fairly lofty expectations. My first two ladies I bought as Clones from a Dispensary (before I found this place, so I learned the old fashioned way of "trial and error" with a large emphasis on error ;) :rofl: ) and ended up either side of a 1/2 oz on each plant (like 13 and 16 grams or something) on my first rodeo. Wander thru my Anti Journal Journal link if you want as it shows pics of the finished product on my first try (as I found this place after my first harvest) and what my setup was and what it evolved to along the way. Personally I focus on quality and quantity will come along later as I go, as I'd much rather have a 1/2 of kick backside stuff than 3 zips of stuff that tastes like crap and gives me a headache ;) but that just me and maybe I'm odd :rofl: . Like anything in life some folks have an instant knack for it (gifted so to speak) and others not a hope in heck, most fall in the middle somewhere and are able to learn along the way.

And everyone just trying to keep you grounded/realistic, as expecting 5 oz (zips ;) ) off your first grow per plant is setting yourself up for disappointment more than likely (I know little about Auto's but have a feeling that even a harder to reach number), not saying impossible but.......I been doing this a couple years and my max currently is just under 4 indoors and hit almost 5 outdoors last year (but she was over 6 ft tall which is tricky indoors ;) ) and that is per plant. Learning curve can be sharp and even with researching the heck out of everything and help from the wonderful folks here that fairly lofty expectations. My first two ladies I bought as Clones from a Dispensary (before I found this place, so I learned the old fashioned way of "trial and error" with a large emphasis on error ;) :rofl: ) and ended up either side of a 1/2 oz on each plant (like 13 and 16 grams or something) on my first rodeo. Wander thru my Anti Journal Journal link if you want as it shows pics of the finished product on my first try (as I found this place after my first harvest) and what my setup was and what it evolved to along the way. Personally I focus on quality and quantity will come along later as I go, as I'd much rather have a 1/2 of kick backside stuff than 3 zips of stuff that tastes like crap and gives me a headache ;) but that just me and maybe I'm odd :rofl: . Like anything in life some folks have an instant knack for it (gifted so to speak) and others not a hope in heck, most fall in the middle somewhere and are able to learn along the way.

I read the first 7 or 8 pages of your Anti Journal Journal, it's a great read! .)
But I had to stop there, since I read it in the office during worktime and cannabis is illegal here, I became a bit paranoid about who's watching what I was doing. Man, the thread is full of pics :rofl:
Thanks for the tips btw, I can't wait to start my first grow. I'm waiting for my led right now, when it arrives, the journey will begin. :cool:

Good luck on your grow! I'm on my first one myself. I'm so very old and have learned through experience and a noticable head shaped dent in the wall that things rarely go how I expect them to. With that in mind, my LA Confidentials say 350-400g/m2; I'm shooting for 500 and prepared for 10!

On a side note, you said you are waiting for a LED, I love mine! I have been struggling with light height since the beginning, moved my VP 450 from 24" (previously 18 which was too close!) to about 21" last night and growth exploded! This AM I am very happy with my trial/error. Cheers!

Height varies slightly depending on LED and how powerful it actually is. Seedlings have to be more careful with as by the time they tell you they don't like it it is too late sometimes. Veg State typically is 18-24" range and Flower 10-15", better to start too high and slowly move it down an inch or two a day until you find where they happiest (well unless they stretching too much then move down in a bigger chunk). They are more adaptive than majority of the humans around, IMHO folks get into more trouble chasing imaginary/minor problems around, as the try to fix something but don't wait long enough (as have to see what the new growth is doing as in most cases the changes don't happen immediately), and then they try three other things and you either make it worse or it gets better and you have no idea what fixed the issue (or if there was an issue ;) ). But that just me as stressing out over it defeats the whole purpose of it in my mind, but I'm in a legal State so more of a Hobby/something to do as I'm home all the time, everyone has to weigh the cons and pros of it themselves depending on their situation as some places the difference between possession and manufacturing are huge difference. With the glut Oregon has right now due to them giving a commercial license to anyone that forked over the money, one can buy it cheaper at a Dispensary than you can grow it (well Indoors anyway, Outdoors don't have the power bill) but I prefer my own as I know what is in it/been used on it and I'm getting old enough to actually sorta give a rats behind what I put into my body (unlike the misspent days of my youth ;):rofl: ).

Good luck on your grow! I'm on my first one myself. I'm so very old and have learned through experience and a noticable head shaped dent in the wall that things rarely go how I expect them to. With that in mind, my LA Confidentials say 350-400g/m2; I'm shooting for 500 and prepared for 10!

On a side note, you said you are waiting for a LED, I love mine! I have been struggling with light height since the beginning, moved my VP 450 from 24" (previously 18 which was too close!) to about 21" last night and growth exploded! This AM I am very happy with my trial/error. Cheers!

Yes, I've heard that plants tend to be very sensitive to light distance when it comes to LEDs. What's the size of the space that you use that light for? I'm guessing 450 stands for 450 watts. Do you know if it's the true performance of your light or just marketing?
The one I ordered is "2000W" but it actually draws 240-260W from the wall, if what's stated on the data sheet is true. My plan is to use this ~250w LED for a 2.7×2.7 tent for 4 plants.

With the glut Oregon has right now due to them giving a commercial license to anyone that forked over the money, one can buy it cheaper at a Dispensary than you can grow it (well Indoors anyway, Outdoors don't have the power bill)

That sounds surprising! Here, in Eastern Europe, where I live, electricity costs about 0.12USD for 1kW. 1g of weed costs 8.90 on the streets (and it's usually crap to medium quality). Now you could do the math, but it is way, waaay more beneficial to grow my own.
Not to mention that the average salary is about 540USD, so buying 30g (about an oz) will cost you ~270USD, so that's basically half of what you earn in a month.

Oh I'm a majority human alright @Dwight Monk, but no stress here brother just pure euphoria! Every moment of over though has been a thrill. All plants growing rather well (albiet probably slower than they could, first grow and all) regardless of my fussing.

Amongst the obvious newbie reasons, I'm on the mend from a broken clavicle so I look at them ALOT. I dunno how much 3" matters, all I can say is after a week of a polite smile, this morning they seemed to be definitely grinning way bigger at me.

Here in MI I pay a pretty penny for my smoke, I'm pretty resourceful so I'll definitely pay for my investment the first go round unless I fail catastrophically (knocks on wood). I've spent quite a few years hiding my shit so this is like a friggin fairy tail to me! Woohoo!

Yes, I've heard that plants tend to be very sensitive to light distance when it comes to LEDs. What's the size of the space that you use that light for? I'm guessing 450 stands for 450 watts. Do you know if it's the true performance of your light or just marketing?
The one I ordered is "2000W" but it actually draws 240-260W from the wall, if what's stated on the data sheet is true. My plan is to use this ~250w LED for a 2.7×2.7 tent for 4 plants.
@AliceGG I got a ebay Viparspectra PAR450 it's 202W at the wall. I'd say thats a 23" x 20" square, just a cleared spot in my closet. They wont stay there but I'm going to train them short just in case.

That sounds surprising! Here, in Eastern Europe, where I live, electricity costs about 0.12USD for 1kW. 1g of weed costs 8.90 on the streets (and it's usually crap to medium quality). Now you could do the math, but it is way, waaay more beneficial to grow my own.
Not to mention that the average salary is about 540USD, so buying 30g (about an oz) will cost you ~270USD, so that's basically half of what you earn in a month.

Last estimate I saw was almost 3x was grown last year than what was sold the year before at Dispensaries (and that just "legal" grows), albeit top end stuff goes for more (tight trimmed and over 25% THC) but you can get med-high quality at the Dispensaries for $99 a oz and that includes the 20% Sin Tax for Rec so if you have a Medical card it would be less than that even. So unless the Feds change their laws/rules and allow Interstate commerce of it Oregon has a few years worth not counting what is growing now. So my increase in power bill probably costs me more than if I were to buy it (but I don't smoke a lot anymore, so my Son does work around the house in trade, that I really pay for if I do it myself far as pain goes (old blue collar dog).

@AliceGG I got a ebay Viparspectra PAR450 it's 202W at the wall. I'd say thats a 23" x 20" square, just a cleared spot in my closet. They wont stay there but I'm going to train them short just in case.
I see. Nice looking baby plants .)
So we are walking a similar path regarding the wattage and the number of plants. Do you have a journal that I may follow?

Last estimate I saw was almost 3x was grown last year than what was sold the year before at Dispensaries (and that just "legal" grows), albeit top end stuff goes for more (tight trimmed and over 25% THC) but you can get med-high quality at the Dispensaries for $99 a oz and that includes the 20% Sin Tax for Rec so if you have a Medical card it would be less than that even. So unless the Feds change their laws/rules and allow Interstate commerce of it Oregon has a few years worth not counting what is growing now.
Wow, that is indeed cheap. It will be an exciting ride, what will happen to the US cannabis market, I have read that it was an ~9 billion market last year, and it's expected to reach ~28 billion in 2022, so that's a huge growth.
However, I wonder if there will be any major change about cannabis legislation here in the EU.

Back
Top Bottom