Is it the Quantity or Quality of trichs?

greenjeans

Here's a weird question - my crop was weak this year so....Is it the quality of the trichs, amount of trichs or if not strong does using more get you the same high??? Is it quality, quantity or amount used??
I asked this on another thread but didn't want to derail it so....
StoneOtter wondered if I had harvested early which I did due to bud rot but still can I get the same high from simply using more of weaker weed or is it a different high??

Here’s a good write up

“You will need to observe trichomes that have a mushroom-like head on them. Any trichomes that do not have this mushroom shaped head will not give clues as to the potency or harvest times.

Once you have found these fungal-shaped trichomes, the following general rules should help you decide what stage of the harvest window your cannabis plant is, as well as offer an indication as to its potency:

Trichomes-Clear.png

Trichomes are completely clear – this indicates that your plant is not ready for harvest and its potency will be extremely low. In this situation, leave the plants and return to observe trichomes one or two days later.

Trichomes-Partially-Cloudy.png

Trichomes are cloudy, with some clear parts – This indicates the very beginning of your harvesting window. While it is perfectly accpetable to harvest your plants at this stage, to do so would be like eating a banana before it ripens; it is still nice but it doesn’t have the texture, flavour or aroma that you want it to. Potency will be fairly low and will offer a more energetic high than plants harvested at a later date.

Trichomes-milky.png

Trichomes are very cloudy – This indicates the optimum harvesting time for most cannabis cultivators. Potency will be at its highest, especially THC count and pain-relieving effects will be at their most beneficial at this stage.

Trichomes-Amber.png

Trichomes have turned an amber colour – This indicates the very end of your harvest window. Harvesting your plants at this stage will still offer potency but will offer a “couch-lock” effect as opposed to an energetic buzz. This is also the perfect time for harvest if you are look for your plants to help you with anxiety and a general sense of calm.

The most important thing to remember about the whole harvesting process is to remain patient. It can be hard when their are some beautiful looking plants that you are eager to try right in front of you, but an early harvest could spell disaster. Check your trichomes to be absolutely sure; it is a cannabis plants greatest indicator of potency and readiness for harvest.”

Here’s a good write up

“You will need to observe trichomes that have a mushroom-like head on them. Any trichomes that do not have this mushroom shaped head will not give clues as to the potency or harvest times.

Once you have found these fungal-shaped trichomes, the following general rules should help you decide what stage of the harvest window your cannabis plant is, as well as offer an indication as to its potency:

Trichomes-Clear.png

Trichomes are completely clear – this indicates that your plant is not ready for harvest and its potency will be extremely low. In this situation, leave the plants and return to observe trichomes one or two days later.

Trichomes-Partially-Cloudy.png

Trichomes are cloudy, with some clear parts – This indicates the very beginning of your harvesting window. While it is perfectly accpetable to harvest your plants at this stage, to do so would be like eating a banana before it ripens; it is still nice but it doesn’t have the texture, flavour or aroma that you want it to. Potency will be fairly low and will offer a more energetic high than plants harvested at a later date.

Trichomes-milky.png

Trichomes are very cloudy – This indicates the optimum harvesting time for most cannabis cultivators. Potency will be at its highest, especially THC count and pain-relieving effects will be at their most beneficial at this stage.

Trichomes-Amber.png

Trichomes have turned an amber colour – This indicates the very end of your harvest window. Harvesting your plants at this stage will still offer potency but will offer a “couch-lock” effect as opposed to an energetic buzz. This is also the perfect time for harvest if you are look for your plants to help you with anxiety and a general sense of calm.

The most important thing to remember about the whole harvesting process is to remain patient. It can be hard when their are some beautiful looking plants that you are eager to try right in front of you, but an early harvest could spell disaster. Check your trichomes to be absolutely sure; it is a cannabis plants greatest indicator of potency and readiness for harvest.”
Excellent post my friend :Namaste:
I harvest between pic 2/3 coz I want a heady high, not necessarily a body stone

Excellent post my friend :Namaste:
I harvest between pic 2/3 coz I want a heady high, not necessarily a body stone
I’m opposite… I go 30ish% amber, feed, lights out for 36-48 hours, then harvest. I dig more of the body high so I can sleep easier. The other way makes me feel like I’m going to have a heart attack. Lol!

I’m opposite… I go 30ish% amber, feed, lights out for 36-48 hours, then harvest. I dig more of the body high so I can sleep easier. The other way makes me feel like I’m going to have a heart attack. Lol!
I feel you on that. Here lately I’ve been smoking some stuff that gives me serious heart palpitations. Not sure what the name of the weed is but here’s a pic.

185C6E13-AA62-41B6-9FF7-26A0D4479627.jpeg

I backed off doing much if any weed a few months back - I was having what they called PVC (not the pipe) premature ventrical contraction - your heart beats too early before it has a load of blood in it. Nobody but me seemed too concerned. Scared the hell outta me tho. But then I decided screw it - if this is gonna kill me - I'm ready to go!!!! :thedoubletake:

I backed off doing much if any weed a few months back - I was having what they called PVC (not the pipe) premature ventrical contraction - your heart beats too early before it has a load of blood in it. Nobody but me seemed too concerned. Scared the hell outta me tho. But then I decided screw it - if this is gonna kill me - I'm ready to go!!!! :thedoubletake:
Same happened to me. Freaked out and went to the cardiologist. Stopped smoking until I discovered growing.
Now I only grow pure Indica, or Indica heavy strains and hold them over a lot longer than most to keep from getting that anxious high.

Covid caused the same thing to me, but it was like all day. Seriously thought I was going to have a heart attack for about 3 days. F Covid!

Freaked out and went to the cardiologist
I know what you mean - I would get 2 normal then skip, two normal then skip, 4 normal then skip!!! I thought Oh shit!!! this can't be good!! I became fixated on taking my pulse!!! Seems to have gone away now or maybe I'm just not checking anymore.

Well sh1t happens & er sorry to hear about the skipping heart beat do da what's it !

Ye you harvested to early due to the bud rot as the trichomes where not ripe enough & that would be the general main thought.

Seems to suggest you are growing out doors as you mention in first post about a crop a year...

Mmm smoking twice as much will not get ya any more benefits.... needs to be ripened bud the fruit of the flower :thumb:

Perhaps decarbing as a wild card may just transform the THCA to THC on a early harvest ?????

@AdaminCO explains it well with great photos. I will add my 2 cents... if you are in a situation where mold/fungus is a problem, like I am here in the humid tropics, you can watch the stigmas and harvest before a lot of stigmas start turning brown. The reason is that dead material is a starting place for mold/fungus, and before you know it you've got full on bud rot. Also remove any leaves that are starting to have dead spots, or showing signs of powdery mildew. Harvesting based on stigmas is obviously not ideal, because trichome development is what you normally want to focus on. In my situation, when maybe about 1/4-1/3 of the stigmas have turned brown, trichomes are starting to turn milky, and this is when I typically harvest if I'm concerned about mold/fungus developing.

RE: "does using more get you the same high". You will have a different high depending on what the trichomes look like, as @AdaminCO explains. My sense is that you'll get a decent high when some trichomes have started to turn milky, but not as intense as if they have mostly all turned milky and a few are amber. Whatever high you are getting, if you smoke/vape more, you'll get more intensity. The trichomes are where the cannabinoids are produced, so if you've got a bud that's frosty with trichomes, it will have a much stronger effect than one that doesn't.

RE: heart palpitations, arrhythmia. I've had this in the past, but not associated with cannabis consumption, and I've done research on the causes. Heart arrhythmia is a common symptom of anemia, caused by either vitamin B12 or iron deficiency – make sure you're getting the recommended daily dose of these. Once I corrected my B12 and iron deficiency (and perhaps also vit. D deficiency), I haven't had any problem with arrhythmia. Before that, however, I had significant problems. Arrhythmia can also be caused by some types of air pollution. Mold is another cause. If you are smoking buds that contain mold, this could possibly cause arrhythmia. I've had Covid twice – once the dry cough kind (original Covid), and the other time was the one that knocks out your sense of smell and taste. Both times the symptoms were fairly mild and I recovered very quickly. The 2nd time I may have had a little arrhythmia, but not significant. In my whole life I've never experienced a virus that produced symptoms like Covid, and I've had pathogen-caused illnesses far worse than what I experienced with Covid. I think the virus came from a lab.

Back
Top Bottom