ISearch56 is Learning with Bag Seeds on the First Grow 2013

re: ISEARCH56 is Learning (*_*) With Bag Seeds On The First Grow 2013

Yes! Your right Scientific Soils. I had them in the dark when they sprouted. I opened the rockwool and bury them a bit.
100_33521.JPG
100_33543.JPG
What does the brown/purple stem mean? When you say feed them. Do you mean all of them including the seedling? How long do you think before i should put them in soil? Thank you

Yes! Your right Scientific Soils. I had them in the dark when they sprouted. I opened the rockwool and bury them a bit. What does the brown/purple stem mean? When you say feed them. Do you mean all of them including the seedling? How long do you think before i should put them in soil? Thank you

OK, these photos look better to me. I am saying feed these four that are in rockwool. Also, if your plan is to grow in soil, start them in soil next time. Let these grow (with 200 ppm feeding) until you have well-rooted plants. Here's a photo illustrating what I mean by "well-rooted":

photo-425.JPG

Purple stems are typical at this stage. Later on they will indicate any number of things including (typically) P, N or Mg deficiency. For now, don't worry about them. Just slowly start feeding.

What's the best time to feed in your opinion? Before lights on or light off? How would you feed using rockwool?Dip the block in some water about one fourth of the way up the block? What do you mean (with 200 ppm feeding)?

What's the best time to feed in your opinion? Before lights on or light off? How would you feed using rockwool?Dip the block in some water about one fourth of the way up the block? What do you mean (with 200 ppm feeding)?

Well, as for feeding, the nutrients will be applied and stay in the medium for the plant to use during photosynthesis (lights on), but I doubt it matters very much at all if you add food at one time vs another, just so you add it. What do I mean by 200 ppm? I'm referring to a dissolved salts metric--parts per million. Read the back of the JJ bottles, there will be mix ratios. Mix according to the ratio for grow then, using a TDS pen*, add water to dilute the solution down to 200 ppm. As the plant gets bigger you will gradually increase the ppm.

*Anticipating your question about which TDS pen, Sunleaves has a very popular one that's only about $20 and even has temperature compensation (there is a small adjustment aperture on the back that if you seal with tape will help it to survive an accidental swim in your nute bucket). They are well calibrated out of the package, too. The point being, you don't have to spend a lot on that instrument and if you intend to keep growing you should get one.

I shouldn't try to feed with out a TDS pen? I'm getting a TDS pen and a Digital pH Meter Tester.

I shouldn't try to feed with out a TDS pen? I'm getting a TDS pen and a Digital pH Meter Tester.

Don't over-think this. Feed with a dilute solution. At some point you'll have a feel for it. For now, the metrics will be useful. Don't dick around with pH too much--it's a hard one to get right. Tap water is close enough. :thumb:

Ok. How often should i feed/water them? In your opinion how soon should i put them in soil?

I bought this meters. What do you think? This are the rest on the babies.
100_3404_0.JPG
100_33722.JPG
100_33793.JPG
100_33842.JPG

This two pictures are of the same seedling
100_33912.JPG
100_33883.JPG

This #1 is the only one thats been growing "slow but it's growing
100_33922.JPG
100_33982.JPG
100_33962.JPG
100_33991.JPG

Do you think we can save the two seedlings in Pictures 3 & 5? Please help me with the bigger one. I had seven now there's three. I'm looking forward to your advice "next Post". Again thank you Scientific Soils for your time and Guidance.

I mess up the post.

Thank you Scientific Soils for all your help. Here's an update to where i'm at. I mix 15 mL of each Jungle Juice Micro, Grow and Bloom in to a gallon of distilled water. The ph 6.5 and the TDS pen read 150 ppm. Is that to high or to low? How do i get 200 or 300 ppm? I still haven't figured out ppm. Should i start leaving tap water out? The soil run off was 6.7. How much of a run off should i have from feeding? The first real feeding was 8/17/13 i think i'm under feeding. I don't want to mess things up. The top pics are before the feeding on Saturday. The last 4 pics are after the feeding i took them last night. This is 2 out of 3 i didn't want to disturb the other sick seedling. #1 is really loving the Jungle Juice!! In your opinion should i up the nutes for #1? What would you do with #1 feed her like a Small Plant or Grow Phase? Is it to early to identify sex?
100_3406_1.JPG
100_34092.JPG
100_3410_1.JPG

100_3427_1.JPG
100_34312.JPG
100_34324.JPG
100_3434_1.JPG

What do you think?
JUNGLE JUICE GROW MICRO BLOOM
DIRECTIONS mL /100 L mL/100 L mL/100 L
Cuttings & Seedlings 33 33 33 = 15 mL = 1/2 fl oz
Small Plants 132 132 132
Grow Phase 396 264 132
Transition to Bloom 264 264 264
Bloom Phase 132 264 396
Quick Conversion Reference: 1 tsp = 5 mL; 1 oz = 30 mL

Ok, you've got them in soil now, so you don't need to feed them anything for a long time. In answer to your question, ppm is a measure of dissolved salts (nutrients). To increase that you either add nutrient (solute) or subtract water (solvent). Your ppm pen will tell you your concentration (ppm or Parts Per Million).

It is too early to tell sex definitively, although if you observe carefully there are some good indicators including height, internodal distance and even sometimes early preflowers. You will know for sure a week or two into flowering.

You can use municipal tap water 99% of the time with no problems whatsoever.

To recap: Do not feed them right now. The entire point of soil growing is to avoid having to do that anyway. You're water is probably fine. When the roots hit the edge of the pot, transplant into a larger pot with more soil. You cannot sex them yet. Above all, relax and have fun!

Thanks Scientific Soils for all your help. How do you know when the roots hit the edge of the pot? Can you please tell me if #1 looks ok? I was a day late watering/feeding. One hour after feeding the leaves started stand up. Now some of the leaves have increase in size. On #1 can i cut the big leaves they look like there in the way of the light. The leaves are dark green is that good? Do you think it's best to remove the leaves that are burn and discolored? Should i spray the leaves with plain water? Can i or should i top the plant. The top is not growing. Do you think i have the cfls lights to close? If i move the lights away a little will that help to get it to grow bigger? I'm using 14-26 watts daytime 6500K 1600 Lumes. Do you think i should pot up #1? The seedlings died the light burned them.
100_34943.JPG
100_35031.JPG

100_35331.JPG
100_35554.JPG
100_35535.JPG
100_3434_11.JPG
100_34803.JPG
100_34794.JPG
100_35433.JPG

100_35412.JPG

I'm thinking you're on the right track here--nice work! My advice is to just keep doing what you are doing until you get some more mass out of them. Don't trim leaves off yet, don't change relative light position, don't change your feeding schedule--just let them add volume for another 7-10 days. Topping is up to you. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, but I always train SCROG style. As for roots, you'll see them--just stick your finger down in and see if you have root mat on the side of the pot. If you do, pot up into more soil. Keep up the good work!

Thanks you SIR. OK as for the fan leaves i'm just going to tuck those babies out of the way. How many weeks you think before i can tell the sex of the plant? Sunday i'm upping the Jungle Juice. Just like the AN feeding calculator says. How can i make her grow wider? Put lights on the sides? PS. I'm doing the in a "DIY GrowBox / Storage BIN". I don't have alot of space. I'll post some pics. How can i train mine to do SCROG style? Is the dark green leaves good? Do you think 14 26w cfls is to much for my growbox?

Fan leaves are the solar panels for the plant--leave them exposed. Leaf surface area + light = more sugar and more rapid growth. Fan leaves do not "take energy away" from the plant, that is hogwash.

You may be able to sex them now, I can't tell from here. With practice you can tell much earlier than you can at first. You will know for sure a week or two after you begin to flower. Have a look at this photo, this is what you are looking for:

girl10.jpg

To make the plant grow wider you have to inhibit a hormone called auxin (actually this is a class of hormones, but close enough for our purposes). Auxin resides in the tip of the plant (called the apical meristem). You may either cut the tip off entirely or just give it a squeeze--gently crush or bend the tip. Every branch underneath that location where you pinched it will grow. Even touching the plant repeatedly on its tip (daily) will inhibit auxin noticeably. You can repeat this as often as you like. I'm sure there are threads here on SCROG, but that's the principle at work.

Green: In general, dark green leaves indicate a low ammonium nitrogen:nitrate ratio while bright, supple green leaves indicate a high ammonium nitrogen:nitrate ratio. Another way of saying this is that dark greens indicate a matured (cycled) soil while brighter greens indicate a newer (uncycled) soil. Other nutrients can contribute to the quality of the green, for example an exceptionally dark green leaf can mean a Phosphorous deficiency. (In anticipation of your question, plants deficient in P will eventually turn from dark green to purple.) Don't worry about ANY of this now.

364 watts is not too much. Depending on how big you want to grow them, it may not be enough, but I think you'll be OK--I've seen some good ~400w grows. Your plants look good!

I need your help SS. I need to pot up #1 ASAP. What size do you suggest? Can you please take a look at pic 4,5,and 6 and tell me if the pistills look ok Or burn? The run off PH is 5.3. Is that ok for soil? How can i bring it up if it's not ok?
100_35962.JPG
100_36032.JPG
100_36022.JPG

HERE'S #2
100_36081.JPG
100_36071.JPG
100_3605.JPG
This is what i'm growing.
100_37013.JPG
100_36535.JPG
100_36942.JPG
100_36712.JPG

Yes, it's time to pot up. Don't worry about pH. The plant caused the pH to drop as it exhausted the soil (roots exchange ions for nutrient and this process favors the exchange of H over OH, which creates an acid situation), potting up will correct the problem. The question for you is, where are you going to put bigger plants? You aren't going to get away with using CFLs for much longer. Better go get a 600w HPS (400 if you need to keep it extra low profile).

As for pistils, you don't have any. Pistils are the female reproductive organ which will appear during flowering. I see that you have a little bit of discoloration on a few leaves in photo 1 that are low on the plant. This could be due to the low pH or to a deficiency in a mobile nutrient. Either way, potting up will correct the problem. Good luck, looking pretty good!

Thank you SCIENTIFIC SOIL. Excuse me this are the pics i wanted you to look at 4,5 and 6. What's a good size container to pot up to with the limited space i have.
100_36242.JPG
100_36363.JPG
100_36182.JPG

Those are bracts, not pistils. Go back to my photo and look again. Pistils are the pail green/whitish "hairs" (styles) that emerge from the calyx or sepal which surround the ovaries/seed and which appear in that location. You are looking in the right place. That junction of stalk and branch you have identified is called an "axil". In that place, there will emerge sexual primordia--either pistillate or staminate. Keep watching those locations, but there's nothing there yet.

Back
Top Bottom