JCool09 Cabinet Hydro Caramelicious 9/2009

Nutrient burn really takes quite a while to work thru your plant and show it's full fury. Most of the damage seems quite old already and the new leaves look fine.
IMHO, it looks like you've recovered well from it. Cheers!

Thanks, Tead. I'm not so sure...

Tunes I appreciate the support but I think I made the wrong correction with the nutes the other day...

Plant Update

Well things have gotten worse with the oldest plant and are issues are starting to appear on younger plants as well. CAR2 is the youngest and does not show any browning at this point.

CAR2 Day 9 - 10/14/09
IMG_14273.JPG

UNK2 is starting to brown on the tips of the older leaves.

UNK2 Day 11 - 10/14/09
IMG_14262.JPG

UNK1 is showing significant browning on the older leaves.

UNK1 Day 12 - 10/14/09
IMG_14251.JPG

CAR2, the oldest, is by far the worst. Younger leaves are showing yellowing as well.

CAR1 Day 22 - 10/14/09
IMG_14243.JPG

Group Photo - 10/14/09
IMG_14291.JPG

Corrective action plan

I did some reading on DWC today and found that while I was correct to adjust the PH down into the 5.5 - 6.0 range I was completely off base on the nutes. What I had interpreted as overfertilization I now believe is a nutrient deficiency. My last adjustment was to bring the nutrients down to the 170 PPM level which obviously has not corrected the issue; the browning/yellowing has increased since the change was made.

I received my PH pen today so I can finally take precise readings of PH and PPM. Based on my readings of DWC the suggested range is 600-1000 ppm. Who knew? Maybe I should have researched this earlier instead of assuming lite nutes was the way to go.

As of this afternoon we're online with 640 PPM and 5.6 PH. Let's see what 24 hours of corrective feeding does. If this is indeed a Nitrogen deficiency as I suspect the upper leaves on CAR2 should green up by tommorrow. We shall see...

Plant Update

Well things have gotten worse with the oldest plant and are issues are starting to appear on younger plants as well. CAR2 is the youngest and does not show any browning at this point.

I did some reading on DWC today and found that while I was correct to adjust the PH down into the 5.5 - 6.0 range I was completely off base on the nutes. What I had interpreted as overfertilization I now believe is a nutrient deficiency. My last adjustment was to bring the nutrients down to the 170 PPM level which obviously has not corrected the issue; the browning/yellowing has increased since the change was made.

I received my PH pen today so I can finally take precise readings of PH and PPM. Based on my readings of DWC the suggested range is 600-1000 ppm. Who knew? Maybe I should have researched this earlier instead of assuming lite nutes was the way to go.

As of this afternoon we're online with 640 PPM and 5.6 PH. Let's see what 24 hours of corrective feeding does. If this is indeed a Nitrogen deficiency as I suspect the upper leaves on CAR2 should green up by tommorrow. We shall see...

I'm interested to see your results, because I had decided to definitely go with a light nute regimen myself, based on some things I've read here and elsewhere. But I was thinking 600-700 was "light", not down around 200. Looking forward to you hitting your sweet spot on ppms before I decide on mine...:smokin:

I'm interested to see your results, because I had decided to definitely go with a light nute regimen myself, based on some things I've read here and elsewhere. But I was thinking 600-700 was "light", not down around 200. Looking forward to you hitting your sweet spot on ppms before I decide on mine...:smokin:

Thanks for stopping by Bolivar. I think I'm on the right course now, the plants seem to look a little better this morning. Send me a PM and let me know a little more about the details of the setup you are planning.

Thanks for stopping by Bolivar. I think I'm on the right course now, the plants seem to look a little better this morning. Send me a PM and let me know a little more about the details of the setup you are planning.

I'm going to use a RainForest 318 with 6 plants under a 400W. Just waiting for the RainForest now, should arrive Monday. First grow, so it'll be like a lab project... Going to start with the nutes that come with it, then maybe switch to something else when I get to 12/12.

hi mate in some of the pics the tips look gold ? is this indeed brown ? all your tips of leaves facing down rite ?.....are the leaves paler green almost like yellow ? have you noticed very slowed growth ? ......does where the leaf is brown ? snap off and crumble ?.......if these symptons are indeed wot your experiencing......it cud be phosphorus deffiency....which is very often miss intrpreted as a nute burn ......i say this as ive just suffered from this myself or at least i think so lol ........hope this helps.........be lucky weedtastic

hi mate in some of the pics the tips look gold ? is this indeed brown ? all your tips of leaves facing down rite ?.....are the leaves paler green almost like yellow ? have you noticed very slowed growth ? ......does where the leaf is brown ? snap off and crumble ?.......if these symptons are indeed wot your experiencing......it cud be phosphorus deffiency....which is very often miss intrpreted as a nute burn ......i say this as ive just suffered from this myself or at least i think so lol ........hope this helps.........be lucky weedtastic

Thanks Weedtastic, that sounds like what I have. At least I think so...;) I am hoping that the nute add that I did yesterday will resolve the issue.

So... I was just looking back at the photos. I kind of notice, especially on CAR1, the brown spots look more washed out than browning I've seen on my plants. I wonder if that should have been an indicator of the problem. I wonder if browner colors on the effected area indicate burning, while a lighter bleached appearance would indicate a deficiency?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers!

Plant update

Nothing new in the environment today, just waiting to see if updated nute regimen will get the plants back on track.

CAR2 Day 10
IMG_14353.JPG

UNK2 Day 12
IMG_14321.JPG

UNK1 Day 13
IMG_14341.JPG

CAR1 Day 23
IMG_14332.JPG

10/15 Group Photo
IMG_1431.JPG

I'm not sure if it's the angle of the lighting or wishful thinking but I think there is a slight improvement in color and perkiness from yesterday. Further comparison shows a nice bit of growth in the smaller plants. This is a good sign! :slide:

10/14 Group Photo
IMG_14291.JPG

So... I was just looking back at the photos. I kind of notice, especially on CAR1, the brown spots look more washed out than browning I've seen on my plants. I wonder if that should have been an indicator of the problem. I wonder if browner colors on the effected area indicate burning, while a lighter bleached appearance would indicate a deficiency?

So if you're saying that I managed to both burn and starve my plants at the same time you're probably right! I've got mad skilz :cool:

So if you're saying that I managed to both burn and starve my plants at the same time you're probably right! I've got mad skilz :cool:

No, Im not saying that. I'm wondering if the color change we initially saw was a bleaching rather than a browning. I'm looking for a visual indicator between the two. Make sense?

One can actully end up in some burning and starving configurations with nutrient or ph lockout. I'm now thinking that your issues are more just a simple deficiency rather than any fancy combo damage action.

I've really done some horrible things to plants with nutes. It can get ugly quick and hind sight is 20/20 while the issue at hand can seem quite blurry.

Cheers!

Car1 to Unk2: "This guy's a multitasker. We're doomed." :cool:

Yeah I was all over them in the early days. I am trying to learn patience, and only make one change at a time. :smokin:

No, Im not saying that. I'm wondering if the color change we initially saw was a bleaching rather than a browning. I'm looking for a visual indicator between the two. Make sense?

One can actully end up in some burning and starving configurations with nutrient or ph lockout. I'm now thinking that your issues are more just a simple deficiency rather than any fancy combo damage action.

I've really done some horrible things to plants with nutes. It can get ugly quick and hind sight is 20/20 while the issue at hand can seem quite blurry.

Cheers!

I think I understand what you're saying although I'm not sure. My latest analysis was nutrient deficiencies caused by high PH and low PPM. I think we came to the same conclusion but please confirm.

Plant update

Good news. The plants continue to respond to increased nutes and lower PH. Unfortunately the past damage is not being repaired so there is still a bit of ugly going on. The new growth is noticibly more vigorous. Keep in mind that CAR2 and UNK1 were FIMmed on 10/13 which explains why the top leaf growth on CAR1 appears disfigured.

The silver lining here is that CAR2, the last to germinate, appears to be perfect. :cheer: The goal of this journal is to produce Caramelicious buds so even if CAR1 is beyond help I still have a chance.

CAR2 Day 11
IMG_14412.JPG

UNK2 Day 13
IMG_14382.JPG

UNK1 Day 14
IMG_14374.JPG

CAR1 Day 24
IMG_14402.JPG

Notice the healthy shine on the CAR2 leaves compared to CAR1 in the adjacent pot below.

10/16 Group Photo
IMG_14363.JPG

10/15 Group Photo
IMG_1431.JPG

JC much improvement! What is the height you are look for to begin flowering at? Glad you got things in control. :goodjob::peace:

:thanks: The Weed. I don't plan to flower them, I will be flowering their clones. What I would like to do is take a cutting from each plant as soon as they are large enough, then root and flower to determine the sex of the 4 plants. I will then remove the males and continue to veg the remaining females until I can take 8-12 decent cuttings from (hopefully) the CAR plant(s). My goal from the start was to avoid flowering CAR and UNK due to unpredictable growth patterns and finishing times. If I go 0/2 on the CAR females then I'll take 8-12 cuttings from the UNK(s). The cuttings will be rooted, vegged for 2-3 weeks, then put into 12/12.

Looking much better all around.
The damage will never repair itself. Some folks trim the dead parts of the leaves off. Cheers!

Tead a special :thanks: for your continued feedback and daily check-up on my babies. I really appreciate your continued support. I would love to take out my scissors and do away with all of the ugly but I know it will just stress the plants out more. I have learned a bit of patience (and humility) and will just let nature take it's course. :surrender:

Back
Top Bottom