JCool09 Cabinet Hydro Caramelicious 9/2009

hey whats up j? owzit? as far as th ep.h rising goes good call on the lowering the airstone.I run dwc in my veg area. THe p.h stays stable i change my nutes oute every 2 weeks religiously. never just change em out. this is how i do it:

1: pull plants and rinse the roots out with ph'd water.
2: take the entire system out including airstones and lines.
3: soak the stones and lines while i clean the rest of the system
4: clean the system w/ bleach and water
5: rinse, dry and then repeat the process one more time
6: fill and run the air stones prior to putting the plants back in to ensure everythings working properly.
7: sit back :rollit:and and be happy its over with for another 2 weeks!!!:cheer:

Well this is just my process and its been working for years. Just a thought and some info for you to meditate on. I hope it helps in you some way. Now go take a :bong:

Butcher, thank you for speaking from your experience. That is some very good information on the importance of keeping the system clean. Your 2 week cycle sounds better that the 1 week change-out I was trying to avoid. How did you come up with a 2 week period?

Butcher, I'm starting my first grow and have been wondering what you do with the plants during cleaning. Do you have to keep the roots wet, or do you just hang em out until time to put the plants back into the clean system?

I have another same-size bucket that I put my lid on while bucket is being cleaned, nutes changed, etc. The damp roots just "hang out" in the dark waiting to go back into the production bucket. I have had the plants out for over 45 minutes and they did not seem to mind.

I have another same-size bucket that I put my lid on while bucket is being cleaned, nutes changed, etc. The damp roots just "hang out" in the dark waiting to go back into the production bucket. I have had the plants out for over 45 minutes and they did not seem to mind.

Excellent. Thanks for the info. As long as all they need is dark and not water, I'll just set them on a large box with the roots hanging down inside and cover it from the light. (Sweating the seeds right now... first time germination and I'm using the twelve-dollah seeds right off the bat.)

Excellent. Thanks for the info. As long as all they need is dark and not water, I'll just set them on a large box with the roots hanging down inside and cover it from the light. (Sweating the seeds right now... first time germination and I'm using the twelve-dollah seeds right off the bat.)

I started with $$ seeds to and killed 4 out of 5. The technique I used last time worked very well:
- Put in cup of non-tap water for 24 hours, seeds should sink to bottom.
- Fold up into wet paper towel for 1-3 days until tap root >= 1/4". Do not let towel dry out.
- Use tweezers to place seeds in wet medium about 1/4" and cover to keep in moisture.
- Keep medium moist in the dark until seedlings sprout.
- Resist any urge to f*ck with them while they are germinating.

Plant update

Not much new. I'm keeping on top of the daily PH changes and healthy growth continues.

CAR2 Day 15
IMG_14541.JPG

UNK2 Day 17
IMG_14524.JPG

UNK1 Day 18
IMG_14513.JPG

CAR1 Day 28
IMG_14531.JPG

10/20 Group Photo
IMG_14501.JPG

Again the day to day comparison shots show noticible growth.

10/19 Group Photo
IMG_14431.JPG

I started with $$ seeds to and killed 4 out of 5. The technique I used last time worked very well:
- Put in cup of non-tap water for 24 hours, seeds should sink to bottom.
- Fold up into wet paper towel for 1-3 days until tap root >= 1/4". Do not let towel dry out.
- Use tweezers to place seeds in wet medium about 1/4" and cover to keep in moisture.
- Keep medium moist in the dark until seedlings sprout.
- Resist any urge to f*ck with them while they are germinating.

Thanks for the tips... Definitely not going to bother them unnecessarily.

I'm breathing a sigh of relief here. 5 out of the 6 have cracked (22 hrs in paper towels), and only the L.A. Woman is holding out. Got the 5 into Rapid Rooter plugs and under the dome. Fingers still crossed.

They're looking good now. Damage seems to be all in the past.

I hope so, need to get larger reservior online asap. PH adjusted to 7 last night.

Thanks for the tips... Definitely not going to bother them unnecessarily. I'm breathing a sigh of relief here. 5 out of the 6 have cracked (22 hrs in paper towels), and only the L.A. Woman is holding out. Got the 5 into Rapid Rooter plugs and under the dome. Fingers still crossed.

Good luck, I think it's time to start the Bolivar grow journal! I'm sure a lot of folks would be interested to see how the cannabis plants grow in an aeroponic setup.

Hey Jcool -

I read the start of your journal, and skimmed the rest... noticed you had a few questions, and thought my DWC experience might have some bearing...

I use Dutch Masters Gold A&B, and have been really happy with it, both grow and flower solutions. I also supplement with dry GH powder to stretch the Gold out a bit, and it also seems to keep the ph more stable.

I too experienced crazy PH rises with my first DWC attempt, and going to R/O water, Dutch Masters, and a larger res pretty much cured that problem.

I noticed you are shooting for 5.8-6.2 - I get it down to 5.2 and let it drift up to 6.2... or even add PH up if it doesn't so the roots are able to get the full range of PH to aid in the uptake of the various elements...

How are your roots looking? Sometimes root rot will bounce that PH up quickly, but I'm betting it's just the small res - the uptake of nutrients will change the PH, so the smaller the res, the quicker the uptake will affect PH levels.

I've had a lot of luck with the big res, shallow solution DWC that I'm running now - the tub is 30 gallons, but I only have about 6 gallons of solution to let a lot of air get to the roots before they go under water. I guess that might not work with your system if you don't want to add a pump and drip lines.

Anyway, good luck with the grow, and let me know if I can help out! +reps

Thats just they way that i was taught. Every 2 weeks. Pit said it best just recently."Different nutrients are available at different p.h levels".

Out side of that every 2 weeks allows you to time out your nute regimine just perfect for most strains, esspecially 8-10 week strains. For me if I change every 2 weeks then this allows me to increase my nutes along with my changes up to the last 2 weeks.
So heres a scenario for you:
Say i got a 8 week flowering strain. I run a 3rd strength durring flower to start. But when there in veg i start out at 1/4 strength. But this is how i start the flower cycle. My nute ppm starts out at 3rd strength for the first 2 weeks. Next 2 weeks the ppms are incresed to 2/3 strength. Then the next 2 are at full strength. This will help bulid your plants tollerence, or it will tell you if they can either take more or you need to back off. cuz not all strains can take the same strength nutes. then if they can take more increase it on the 7th week. and the last week i run a final flush with clearex, final flush or plain ph'd h2o. and if you got a 10 week strain then just adjust as needed. W/ 10 week strains I run full the last 4 weeks prior to flush. Again thats saying the plant can tollerate it.

This is just how I run thing. Hope this gives you an idea of why I change out every two weeks.:ganjamon:

Hey Jcool - I read the start of your journal, and skimmed the rest... noticed you had a few questions, and thought my DWC experience might have some bearing...

I use Dutch Masters Gold A&B, and have been really happy with it, both grow and flower solutions. I also supplement with dry GH powder to stretch the Gold out a bit, and it also seems to keep the ph more stable.

I too experienced crazy PH rises with my first DWC attempt, and going to R/O water, Dutch Masters, and a larger res pretty much cured that problem.

I noticed you are shooting for 5.8-6.2 - I get it down to 5.2 and let it drift up to 6.2... or even add PH up if it doesn't so the roots are able to get the full range of PH to aid in the uptake of the various elements...

How are your roots looking? Sometimes root rot will bounce that PH up quickly, but I'm betting it's just the small res - the uptake of nutrients will change the PH, so the smaller the res, the quicker the uptake will affect PH levels.

I've had a lot of luck with the big res, shallow solution DWC that I'm running now - the tub is 30 gallons, but I only have about 6 gallons of solution to let a lot of air get to the roots before they go under water. I guess that might not work with your system if you don't want to add a pump and drip lines.

Anyway, good luck with the grow, and let me know if I can help out! +reps

OBX that is some great info. I was undecided on bloom nutes but you just sold me on the DM. I need to stop by your journal and check out that setup; I already have the pump and was considering either running a constant flow through the buckets or doing a drip system. Thank you for the +rep and the new ideas. +rep back at you for wanting to help.

I've read that a good rule of thumb for res size is 5 gal/plant. Cheers.

Noted and planned for next gen system coming on line shortly.

Thats just they way that i was taught. Every 2 weeks. Pit said it best just recently."Different nutrients are available at different p.h levels".

Out side of that every 2 weeks allows you to time out your nute regimine just perfect for most strains, esspecially 8-10 week strains. For me if I change every 2 weeks then this allows me to increase my nutes along with my changes up to the last 2 weeks.
So heres a scenario for you:
Say i got a 8 week flowering strain. I run a 3rd strength durring flower to start. But when there in veg i start out at 1/4 strength. But this is how i start the flower cycle. My nute ppm starts out at 3rd strength for the first 2 weeks. Next 2 weeks the ppms are incresed to 2/3 strength. Then the next 2 are at full strength. This will help bulid your plants tollerence, or it will tell you if they can either take more or you need to back off. cuz not all strains can take the same strength nutes. then if they can take more increase it on the 7th week. and the last week i run a final flush with clearex, final flush or plain ph'd h2o. and if you got a 10 week strain then just adjust as needed. W/ 10 week strains I run full the last 4 weeks prior to flush. Again thats saying the plant can tollerate it.

This is just how I run thing. Hope this gives you an idea of why I change out every two weeks.:ganjamon:

Butcher, thank you for sharing all that. You are saving me hours of wasted time, effort, and plant abuse. Would +rep if I could.

Lots of good info here today. Like going to grower class... ;)

This is great. Sometimes I feel like an idiot posting pics of my tiny pot plants. Generating meaningful dialogue like today makes it worth it.

I'll have to pick it up a month in - no decent camera at the moment. :straightface:

You have a plan, right? Start the journal and get all of your thoughts out there. Writing it out will also help you think things through. You may not have the time to do it later. My $.02.

Plant update

Took a couple of shots from side angles today to give a different perspective. CAR2 is a friggin' monster, hope it's not a boy.

CAR2 Day 16
IMG_14894.JPG

The stem got FAT since the plant was topped. There is new growth coming from every node.

CAR2 Day 16
IMG_14912.JPG

UNK2 Day 18
IMG_14883.JPG

UNK1 Day 19
IMG_14875.JPG

Looking way small for 29 days but growth is a nice color and vigor is increasing.

CAR1 Day 29
IMG_14862.JPG

I'm sorry but look at the f*cking leaves on CAR2! Shows the difference proper PH and nutes makes-
the plant to it's left has the same genetics and is 13 days older.

10/21 Group Photo
IMG_14842.JPG

10/20 Group Photo
IMG_14501.JPG

It's so good to see these plants take off. It's just so amazing to see how fast plants can recover.

Cheers!

Tead, thanks for stopping by to check out the latest update. To your point earler this month I don't think that CAR1 will ever fully recover. The roots are just not as vigorous as the others and there are some brown areas. These tend to be above the water line so I am not sure if it is rot or staining from the Roots Excelurator which has a deep brown tint. These plants only have to survive another month or so before I they are sexed and chopped up for clones.

Assuming CAR1 is a female my hope is that cuttings taken from this plant will be able to "start over" and be as normal as cuttings from CAR2. In a scenario where both plants are "healthy" at the time cuttings are taken can clones suffer from past stress to the mother plant? Since you had warned about stress affecting future plant behavior I would like to hear your thoughts on that.

hey whats up j? owzit? as far as th ep.h rising goes good call on the lowering the airstone.I run dwc in my veg area. THe p.h stays stable i change my nutes oute every 2 weeks religiously. never just change em out. this is how i do it:

1: pull plants and rinse the roots out with ph'd water.
2: take the entire system out including airstones and lines.
3: soak the stones and lines while i clean the rest of the system
4: clean the system w/ bleach and water
5: rinse, dry and then repeat the process one more time
6: fill and run the air stones prior to putting the plants back in to ensure everythings working properly.
7: sit back :rollit:and and be happy its over with for another 2 weeks!!!:cheer:

Well this is just my process and its been working for years. Just a thought and some info for you to meditate on. I hope it helps in you some way. Now go take a :bong:

this is what i do to the tee i aso use hand sanitizer instread of bleach becausebleach can be scary and dangerious but if you have neveer had any problems I like you rinse the shit outta them(no pun intended) before refilling. i was also tld by a pro grower that you should mix nutes with air stone on and in diffusers work the best,6-12 hours later adjust ph...just throwing the info i have learned out there

...In a scenario where both plants are "healthy" at the time cuttings are taken can clones suffer from past stress to the mother plant?...

From p.31 of Cervantes' "Marijuana Horticulture - The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible":

"However, if mothers suffer stress, they produce weak clones."

Not sure if that means the clones STAY weak, or just have a rougher go at the beginning.

this is what i do to the tee i aso use hand sanitizer instread of bleach becausebleach can be scary and dangerious but if you have neveer had any problems I like you rinse the shit outta them(no pun intended) before refilling. i was also tld by a pro grower that you should mix nutes with air stone on and in diffusers work the best,6-12 hours later adjust ph...just throwing the info i have learned out there

Definetly a good idea to use the sanitizer, never thought of that one..gotta try it out Makes sense. And that growwer has the right idea. The reasoning behind this is, that if there are if there are any particulates that are left over in the airstone they will wash out into your rez. Also between that and the oxygen level, it can and ussually will throw your p.h off, so its best to see where your at after a few hours, then adjust.

Great post!!

Back
Top Bottom