JimmieJ's First Grow - Closet - Soil - Bag Seed - CFLs

I started the veg closet on the gas lantern routine. I'm putting all my eggs in one basket.

Gas lantern routine is 12 hours of light, 5.5 hours dark, 1 hour light, then another 5.5 hours dark, instead of 18/6 or whatever veg timing one is using. The 1 hour of light in the middle is supposed to interrupt the hormones that induce flowering, so the girls will stay in veg despite being dangerously close to 12/12. I've seen a lot of negative theories on this, and a lot of positive claims in practice. I like to experiment, so I'm doing it. I have nothing to lose except three plants worth of potential buds.:yikes:

Time for an update.

Sometimes I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. Then I smoke a little of what I grew and I feel much better. I actually prefer to smoke mine rather than good street weed because it tastes and smells a little better, and is much smoother. :thumb:

Sandy still looks very close. I can see that the buds have fattened up, but I'm seeing lots of new pistils, even though most of the leaves are gone.
GEDC2782.JPG
GEDC2780.JPG
GEDC2781.JPG

I still can't judge trichomes, because they always look cloudy to me, and I can't tell if it's because of the light from the usb microscope reflecting, or if they're actually cloudy. They never seem to start turning amber, and it takes a long time for me to actually get some in focus and get a decent photo.
1113_1.jpg
1113-7.jpg
1113-2.jpg
1113-3.jpg
1113-4.jpg
1113-5.jpg
1113-6.jpg

Veg closet update.

Candi is doing great. She seems to love the gas lantern lighting. I'll be putting her into flower pretty soon.
GEDC2788.JPG
GEDC2789.JPG
GEDC2790.JPG

The other two are stubborn. They've put on a little growth, but nothing impressive enough to expect a miracle if I switch them to flower. I think it's because I sterilized the soil, got the soil too wet at transplant time, and let it get too compacted. Maybe something else too, but all other conditions have been the same as my successful plants in PJ soil. I'm just going to take clones of them and start from scratch. If these stubborn ones take off before the clones do, I'll decide what to do then. At this rate, I have plenty of time to make up my mind.

Colleen. She's been abused quite a bit so I'm not surprised to see nothing happening. I topped her last week.
GEDC2792.JPG
GEDC2791.JPG

Sally. She started drinking more lately so she might have a growth spurt soon.
GEDC2784.JPG
GEDC2783.JPG

Time for an update.

Sometimes I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. Then I smoke a little of what I grew and I feel much better. I actually prefer to smoke mine rather than good street weed because it tastes and smells a little better, and is much smoother. :thumb:

Sandy still looks very close. I can see that the buds have fattened up, but I'm seeing lots of new pistils, even though most of the leaves are gone.
GEDC2782.JPG
GEDC2780.JPG
GEDC2781.JPG

I still can't judge trichomes, because they always look cloudy to me, and I can't tell if it's because of the light from the usb microscope reflecting, or if they're actually cloudy. They never seem to start turning amber, and it takes a long time for me to actually get some in focus and get a decent photo.
1113_1.jpg
1113-7.jpg
1113-2.jpg
1113-3.jpg
1113-4.jpg
1113-5.jpg
1113-6.jpg

Overall - I'd say 60% cloudy - no amber

60% will have to do. :thumb:

There were too many sugar leaves turning brown and crispy, and I know from her mother that the longer I waited, the more there would be. So Sandy got chopped. It took 2 hours to get rid of all the brown crispies with a hemostat. It would've gone faster but the hemos kept getting so sticky that they weren't very effective. She weighed 176g wet, so I am expecting at least 40g dry. That will make Sandy my biggest harvest so far. I probably can't get much more out of a plant under four 27 watt CFLs, but until I can get my hands on some nice LEDs, this is fine with me!

GEDC2800.JPG

GEDC2805.JPG

GEDC2806.JPG

I'm pretty sure the fat circular root was the first one that she made in the cloner. When I planted it, I coiled the root into a circle and covered with soil, and it stayed in a circle.
GEDC2808.JPG

I cut it off where I did the supercrop just to see how much grew where I would have topped her.
GEDC2810.JPG

GEDC2811.JPG

Candi is going into the flower closet very soon. I'll document her growth through to harvest then close this journal. I'm looking forward to starting a new one when I eventually get some good beans.

Update. Candi was begging for a change in scenery so she went into the flower closet last night. This is the first plant that hasn't gotten any tap water for most of her life, it's all been out of the sump pit. I have this feeling that there is living stuff in that water that would be bad to drink, but will work with the other living stuff in my soil to keep it all running smoothly. We'll see.

GEDC2812.JPG

It doesn't show well in this picture, and this might be normal, but she has pistils/preflowers everywhere. I think the gas lantern lighting brought her to the edge of flowering and she will take off right away. It definitely kept her from going into full flower, saving a little electricity while I was at it.
GEDC2814.JPG

Might as well throw some basil in there while I have space. I doubt that basil cares if it's under 12/12. :thumb:
GEDC2818.JPG

Cloner is out of storage and loaded up, and the two plants that won't grow are standing by if I need more cuttings.
GEDC2821.JPG

I'm anxious to see if she flowers any faster after the gas lantern lighting. I'm also keeping the lower section cleaned up so I don't have a bunch of popcorn. My hope is that the energy not put into popcorn will be added to the main buds, and not reduce the harvest.

The basil is just a little side experiment. I'm using the container and soil from my first cannabis plant. It's not amended in any way so I'll feed the basil with fish emulsion. I hope it doesn't impart a fishy flavor to the basil. :hmmmm:

I have the final weight on Sandy. Dried to 62%, she came out to just over 62g (just a coincidence, but a good one). That is beyond what I was expecting. Now I know that with some practice and a good quality soil, it's possible to get a couple oz off of one plant, using only CFLs and other common stuff from whatever-mart and the hardware stores, with modest impact on the electric bill.

It might be less dense with these lights but that doesn't matter to me, it's potent and smells and tastes great. This is my biggest bud, weighing 4.5g dry.
GEDC2830.JPG

I picked up some green tinted quart jars to store Sandy's bountiful gifts. :thumb:
GEDC2835.JPG

:lot-o-toke:

Authorities too busy for this shit nowadays they've got terrorist idiots who need to smoke pot to catch not us hobbyists

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Candi update. She's doing fine. There is yellowing on the leaves closest to the lights but I'm not going to worry about it. This is my third time growing this plant (1st from seed, this is the second clone) and she is probably the best so far. I just added more worm castings. I don't think you can overdo it with them, so if she's missing some nutrient or something, hopefully she'll get it.

GEDC2944.JPG
GEDC2936.JPG
GEDC2940.JPG

:thumb:

Authorities too busy for this shit nowadays they've got terrorist idiots who need to smoke pot to catch not us hobbyists

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App
Did someone express worry over this or is this just a random comment?

Sent from my SM-G935P using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Aww so cute, how many weeks old is it? You use any cal mag supplement?

Oh geez I lost count of weeks... months... she was a runt that finally took off. Been flowering a little over a month. Never used cal mag. She's in a homemade soil mix.

Did someone express worry over this or is this just a random comment?

Just some random comment. If the authorities have their eyes on a guy with one modest plant and some personal buds, some useless jobs need to be eliminated.

Back
Top Bottom