JimmieJ's First Grow - Closet - Soil - Bag Seed - CFLs

Aww so cute, how many weeks old is it? You use any cal mag supplement?

Sent from my SM-G935P using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Oh geez I lost count of weeks... months... she was a runt that finally took off. Been flowering a little over a month. Never used cal mag. She's in a homemade soil mix.

Just some random comment. If the authorities have their eyes on a guy with one modest plant and some personal buds, some useless jobs need to be eliminated.

Ha no doubt, seemed random, had me looking back at pages like what the hell is he talking about. Not sure whats in the mix but some calmag might help with the early yellowing.

Sent from my SM-G935P using 420 Magazine Mobile App

She looks like she will yield nicely.

And yeah, she may loose almost all her leaves. I did on my first grow with organic nutes.
Some strains seem to get very hungry during bud ripening.

I'd ask growers who grow similar to you about a foliar feeding formula/schedule that might fine tune your flowering period.
I respect @bobrown14 for his home made soil and foliar IPM.

You are getting a lot out of your CFLs.

She looks like she will yield nicely.

And yeah, she may loose almost all her leaves. I did on my first grow with organic nutes.
Some strains seem to get very hungry during bud ripening.

I'd ask growers who grow similar to you about a foliar feeding formula/schedule that might fine tune your flowering period.
I respect @bobrown14 for his home made soil and foliar IPM.

You are getting a lot out of your CFLs.

Thanks Rad. Not sure what she'll yield but she's looking more frosty than her predecessors so I'm hoping for more potency. I'm pretty sure she'll lose all her leaves by the end, the others did.

I'll check out bobrown's journals but probably won't do anything foliar at this point due to making other changes, and don't want to change a bunch all at once. Especially since this is my last flowering clone.

I went to the store to get a replacement CFL today and learned that they're being phased out in favor of LEDs. So the gov't subsidy is shifting from CFL to LED, the price of CFL is going up and LED is going down. I switched 4 2700k CFLs for 2700k LED. I can't see a difference in light, but the plants might.

So I made that change, plus did a pH test to see what the runoff looks like, since I'm using sump pit water now, vs. tap with my previous plants. Water came out at 7.6, water going in was slightly off the chart alkaline (chart on my kit only goes to 7.6). Looking at the pH lockout chart, looks like zinc gets locked out where I am, and can mimic manganese def. If it's lockout, I should fix the pH. I wonder if foliar feeding bypasses the pH lockout problem. Something else to look at. Either way I'll get some pH down and see what that does.
phChart23.jpg
zinc_zn_manganese_mn_marijuana_weed_nutrient_problem11.jpg
GEDC2973.JPG

Update.

This plant is as close to the lights as I can get her, and when I move her for whatever reason, it's too hard to get her exactly back where she was without touching light bulbs, so these pics will have to do. :thumb:

GEDC2976.JPG

Lots of frosty beauty all over the plant. She also can be smelled throughout the house. I haven't had any filtration going because it's been so cold out that I need to run heat through the duct where I was running a carbon filter. Lights off temps are mid 60's, lights on are upper 70's.
GEDC2977.JPG

Reminiscing. This plant has been around for a while. I've always liked the three "main stems" from when she was a little stick and then made a recovery.
GEDC2612.JPG

GEDC2978.JPG

Update. Getting close now. :thumb:

GEDC3065.JPG
GEDC3067.JPG
GEDC30691.JPG

I had a cutting in water (with white bumps on the stem that would've grown roots) that I didn't want, so I pushed it into the dirt a week ago to see what would happen.
GEDC3022.JPG

It's not growing, not dying, just there.
GEDC3068.JPG

It's been really cool being able to grow clones of the same two plants a few times and see how things have changed as I learned. The main thing is that I learned how to grow some decent organic cannabis on a budget. Not a pro by any means, but very happy so far.

Update. Getting close now. :thumb:

GEDC3067.JPG
organic cannabis on a budget.

Those last two weeks of waiting were worth their weight in bud.
She looks .... almost ... ready.
If she stops drinking much water, or you have a loupe and see lots of amber.
Whatever sign you decide, you will have your harvest fairly soon :)

I think she'll get the chop this weekend, I finally have a full weekend to myself. :thumb:
I'll take a closer look with the loupe and see if I can spot any amber. I'm anxious to see what she yields. This one has the most remaining leaves out of the 5 plants I've harvested, without the crispy brown sugar leaves all over the buds. I don't know exactly why that is, but I'm sure it helped having much better control of the temps, adding plenty of worm castings from time to time, and being better about how I water. Oh, and no bugs. I also only used sump pit water, but don't think I'll do that anymore. The pH of that stuff is off the chart high. I only used pH down once. It took 100 drops to get 2 gallons under 7. They suggest 2 drops per gallon to start. My soil must have been buffering the water very well for the plant to get to this point as well as she did.

Well this is it. Candi is done, dried and jarred. She came out to just under 54g dried to 62%, making this my 2nd biggest harvest.

Just after the chop
GEDC3144.JPG

GEDC3145.JPG

The cutting that I shoved in never died
GEDC3147.JPG

Instead of newspaper at the bottom to keep the soil from coming out, I used a piece of screen. The roots really grew into it. It was definitely easier to remove than soggy newspaper.
GEDC3149.JPG

This is the second time I noticed that thick circular root. It has to be the long root that I coiled up into the soil after the cutting came out of the cloner.
GEDC3153.JPG

These are the thickest, healthiest looking roots I've seen so far.
GEDC3158.JPG

Dried
GEDC3164.JPG

Jarred at 62%. I picked up these small hygrometers. They're not exactly accurate, so I put them in a ziploc with a bunch of 62% Bovedas till they stabilized, made a mark on the dial, then repeated with some 69%ers so I can trust the readings.
GEDC3166.JPG

I'm really glad I got some experience using bag seed. Now I'm ready to move on to some seeds of my choosing when the time comes.

So with that I'm done with this journal. I want to thank everyone who helped me get going - all the advice, support and conversation has been priceless. I also want to thank Rad for keeping me company all this time, and most of all, thanks to :420: for making this site what it is, it's truly the best of the best from all I've seen out there. Please go ahead and move this to completed journals.

:thumb::thanks::circle-of-love::cheer::Namaste::lot-o-toke:

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Your smaller girl... How long since she has been watered... she actually looks overwatere on the top part or root bound... How long has she been in that pot? Sorry if I have asked these questions before but I tend to jump on a lot of journals and I also have a brain injury that makes my memory terrible....:circle-of-love:

Sorry to hear about your health issues Dennise. I'm so glad I've founds these threads and there are other people here for the same reasons I am. I loving learning as much as I can from you all .. 1st grow coming soon .

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thanks Canna, But you guys are the Pro's, I'm just learning from you guys as I go! But thank you for the kind words! In a few more months I hope to know a lot more about growing and can give advice and know it's correct! (and not look like an idiot :scratchinghead: ) Then I can start paying it forward more with advice for now at least until I turn 60 and see a raise that will let me help others as I've been helped!

Love the pay it forward way of thinking ..

Yes, I want to lean toward couchlock. I'm on the anxious side and don't sleep well. If it's not what I want, I can just mix it with the buds from the less mature girls.:thumb:

So if the tricomes are more amber this has more body effect and cloudy more energetic head effect?
Thanks again to all of you for everything I'm learning here. Your giving me the confidence to go for it and learn how to grow my medicine .

Chillin1 final update.

This concludes the harvest of my very first girl. I'll never know what the exact harvest was because I've snagged buds here and there.

I know that this would be a pathetic harvest for an experienced grower, but I'm very happy with it. I have over a half oz of potent, seedless bud. At $200/oz, this would be worth $100 easy, and I still have a couple more plants that are almost ready. I'm betting an oz easy between those two. 1.5oz should more than cover my "startup" costs, including electricity. Disclaimer: I am not selling this, just estimating what I might have saved by not purchasing this amount.

Thank you to everyone who gave me advice during my first grow! I appreciate it more than you know.
:thumb::cheer:

The first partial harvest - the top buds that were ready first
GEDC2057.JPG

The second partial harvest - the lower popcorn that had a bit to go
GEDC2058.JPG

The popcorn that I left on it when I was going to attempt a reveg
GEDC2059.JPG

I decided not to try and reveg her. I might try it on Handy Dandy when she's harvested. It makes more sense for me to try it on the more potent and productive plant.

I was curious to see the root system. It doesn't look like it was terribly rootbound to me except at the bottom. With the deeper containers I'm using now, maybe I won't have such a thick mass of roots at the bottom on my next run.
GEDC2035.JPG
GEDC2036.JPG
GEDC2037.JPG
GEDC2038.JPG
GEDC2039.JPG

Well done Jimmie. Thanks for helping me learn with you .

Back
Top Bottom