Jozo-sha's Getting Grounded - Air Pots, Dirt and OC+

Hey Zombo, I like your setup! I took a tour of your previous grows, sorry to hear the last one didn't go as well. If I read right, did you use to brew? Anyhow, I think you're doing some great things using soil in this current grow. I'm not doing a journal this time; basically I'm doing things other people have already done. I'm 4 weeks in and all 4 plants turned out female! Still on 12/12 from 4 days after the seeds popped.

Hey Zombo, I like your setup! I took a tour of your previous grows, sorry to hear the last one didn't go as well. If I read right, did you use to brew? Anyhow, I think you're doing some great things using soil in this current grow. I'm not doing a journal this time; basically I'm doing things other people have already done. I'm 4 weeks in and all 4 plants turned out female! Still on 12/12 from 4 days after the seeds popped.

Thanks, Stink! I just did another bean order, as one can never have too much seed stock; once I find that 'magical' cross and make a huge seed run, I'll probably do nothing but 12/12 from seed in 1 gallon Air Pots :high-five:

I got the Air Pots in yesterday, and just finished putting them together; I'll post up some pics of them and new pics of the babies soon!

I too, noticed that the bigger plants have a bit of odd look to them, so I hit them with 1/4th strength FloraNova Grow, just a light watering for everyone...I'm still confident that once the root structures start working all over the pots that the OC+ will do it's job. The two A-Train clones have no OC+ in the soil, as my pal said they were really bitchy about nutes and overwatering as seedlings (these are cuts off the originals), so I skipped it. I figure if they're really hurtin for nutes, I can top dress the first inch or so with prills and call it a day!

:peace:

Heya All :nicethread:

Finally got some healthy plants in soil now, with OC+, but still noticing the biggest 4 are looking nute starved a wee bit...should I be worrying? Soil was pre-mixed by hand (my hands!) with 2 tbsp. of prills/gallon medium.

Watering as needed with RO/DI spiked with 5ml/gallon Cal-Mag+. Someone wanna pop over to my grow and give me a nudge in the right direction?

Thanks & :peace:

Hey bro!

What are your temps, day and night?

I think you might want to hold off on the "monsoon" watering until you get a bit more of a root system developed.....maybe a 10 days from now. Water them really good, let them dry out between watering---nearly to the point of wilting, but no wilting----and just chill.

Everything else you're doing looks solid to me. I don't know why, but with FFOF and OC+ some plants show a zinc/iron deficiency. It doesn't happen all the time, and never every plant in the garden....just be on the look out for it.

Also, once things get going you might want to go with 10ml/gal on the Calmag.

With your setup, your only pitfall right now is going to be overwatering and environment.

I'm growing some Jack Herer in FFOF/OC+ right out of the bag. I'll take some pics one of these days.....they're glorious. It's really hard to screw up with this method!

Hey bro!

What are your temps, day and night?

I think you might want to hold off on the "monsoon" watering until you get a bit more of a root system developed.....maybe a 10 days from now. Water them really good, let them dry out between watering---nearly to the point of wilting, but no wilting----and just chill.

Everything else you're doing looks solid to me. I don't know why, but with FFOF and OC+ some plants show a zinc/iron deficiency. It doesn't happen all the time, and never every plant in the garden....just be on the look out for it.

Also, once things get going you might want to go with 10ml/gal on the Calmag.

With your setup, your only pitfall right now is going to be overwatering and environment.

I'm growing some Jack Herer in FFOF/OC+ right out of the bag. I'll take some pics one of these days.....they're glorious. It's really hard to screw up with this method!

Doc! :high-five:

I'm so glad you dropped by -- day and night are only fluctuating between a high of 78°F and a low of 73°F, my tent is in a fairly temperature stable basement, and I'm only using one 6" inline exhaust fan for removing heat.

I have actually held off on the 'monsoon', but I did saturate the soil fairly well before transplanting into the soil, waterings have only been enough to soak the root system, and then only when my fingers test the dryness of the soil.

I'll up the CaMg to 10ml/gal next week then -- I'll also probably top dress the A-Trains when they start showing deficiencies. Thanks again for your advice, DocBud!

Now, as promised earlier, more pictures! :cheer:

Bagseed baby is growing like MAD!

Dirt_Grows_-_088.jpg

A-train baby #3:

Dirt_Grows_-_089.jpg

Sweet Deep Grapefruit seedling:

Dirt_Grows_-_090.jpg

A-Train #1 (50/50 FFOF/Roots, no OC+):

Dirt_Grows_-_091.jpg

A-Train #2 (50/50 FFOF/Roots no OC+):

Dirt_Grows_-_092.jpg

Ell Ess Dee #1 (FFOF/Roots, OC+) - This is the sativa pheno:

Dirt_Grows_-_093.jpg

Ell Ess Dee #1 (FFOF/Roots, OC+) - This is the indica pheno:

Dirt_Grows_-_094.jpg

Air Pots!

Dirt_Grows_-_095.jpg

I'm psyched to get these filled with soil and get some more babies going!

Enjoy the pics, and if anyone has insight on the discolored leaves, please chime in!

Just another data point to add, just in case it has any bearing -- the plants are under 24 hour lighting...I also noticed the edges of some of the fan leaves are dry and starting to curl. I'm trying to be chill about it, but you know....these are the best starts I've had in quite awhile and I really don't want to fuck it up!

Zombo,
I didn't know you had a new journal up. I'm subbed. I like to watch an occasional soil grow, you know how us hydro guy like to feel dirty every now and then.
:popcorn:
Welcome, bro! I know it's really because I use LED's, not the nasty dirt.

P.S. I have a 3 gallon DWC standing by, just in case :bong:

The tips look like a overwatering issue. Let them get dry before watering. I can't tell due to the LEDs but it looks like some may have a nute issue--leaves getting lighter between the veins, may be the lights/white balance though

Hello Zombo, I just began my first grow ever. I have a Spectra 180W setup with 4 2gallon smartpots. I put 6 cups of vermiculite on the bottom with a layer of OC+ on top of that followed by 13 cups of FFOF. There's OC+ top dressed and some more about 2inches below that. It's just some regi bagseed that sprouted 5/1 under 24 hrs of cheap fluoros and put into their new homes about 4 days later. I'm doing 12/12 also, but haven't been acknowledging the ambient light since my stealth setup gets up past 90 F with the door shut, so I just crack it. My room gets pretty dark when the Spectra turns off, guess we'll see. So far so good, I'm hoping for similar results like SpeeCees and DocBud. I have my light hanging high above in my 5 foot tall cab, no stretching. Temps range 78-86 depending on the time of day and if I direct my AC vents into that room.

I'll be riding along, I have some back reading to catch up on your grows. Good luck brother!

If there is any way possible you need to get your temps down more, bro. I have been running a little lower than that, 84, but it will affect bud size, density, etc. Need to try and get more a/c into that room to be able to come out like docbud, etc. Docbud prefers temps not to get above 76 or so, oc+ starts dumping nitrogen at higher temps.

The tips look like a overwatering issue. Let them get dry before watering. I can't tell due to the LEDs but it looks like some may have a nute issue--leaves getting lighter between the veins, may be the lights/white balance though

Yeah, that's what it was; they went over the weekend without me dicking with them, and they look much better! :yahoo:

What are the sizes of the airpots and what do they run?

Hydroponic Pots Containers - Air Pots

All the info you need - this is where I ordered mine; I have the one gallon, two gallon and 3.4 gallon; pricey, yeah - but what if seen here is that they work damned fine!

If there is any way possible you need to get your temps down more, bro. I have been running a little lower than that, 84, but it will affect bud size, density, etc. Need to try and get more a/c into that room to be able to come out like docbud, etc. Docbud prefers temps not to get above 76 or so, oc+ starts dumping nitrogen at higher temps.

Yeah, and watch the overwatering too, as heat + moisture will dump even more nutes into the FFOF.

Now updated PIX!

The bagseed baby -- just hauling ass, still waiting to see pre-flowers...

Dirt_Grows_-_104.jpg

Sweet Deep Grapefruit seedling, now in a one gallon Air Pot with 50/50 FFOF-Roots and OC+:

Dirt_Grows_-_105.jpg

Baby A-Train group shot:

Dirt_Grows_-_106.jpg

Chocolope clone, finally recovering and getting new growth:

Dirt_Grows_-_107.jpg

A-Train #1 and #2:

Dirt_Grows_-_108.jpg

Dirt_Grows_-_111.jpg

Ell Ess Dee #1 and #2:

Dirt_Grows_-_112.jpg

Dirt_Grows_-_113.jpg

And the full family photo:

Dirt_Grows_-_114.jpg

Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbezphil2005

Yeah, and watch the overwatering too, as heat + moisture will dump even more nutes into the FFOF.

Hey, thanks guys for the tips! I've been able to get those temps in check so far - 77 to 81 F for the last few weeks. As far as watering, I just respond to what the girls are telling me, about every 2-3 days they get a Brita bath lol. Zombo, your family just gets bigger and bigger! Is there an advantage with the Airpots vs Smartpots? Love the pics, keep em coming!:peace:

Zombo, your family just gets bigger and bigger! Is there an advantage with the Airpots vs Smartpots? Love the pics, keep em coming!:peace:

I've no idea if one is better over the other, that's why I'm experimenting with 'em both :high-five: As you'll shortly see, I'm gonna put a couple into play soon and it should be damned interesting!

The girls were looking a wee more yellow here and there, and in varying amounts; recalling DocBud's note about upping the Ca-Mg dose, I adjusted my RODI water to 10mg/gallon, and hit everyone with a good bath. Hopefully this will resolve that, as everything else seems to be looking pretty good.

Here's the 4 big girls, in the usual order (A-Train #1, #2, Ell Ess Dee #1, #2); you can see subtle pheno differences in both strains for sure (as well as the embarrassing deficiency crap) :helpsmilie:

Dirt_Grows_-_123.jpg
Dirt_Grows_-_124.jpg
Dirt_Grows_-_125.jpg
Dirt_Grows_-_126.jpg

And the obligatory 'Family Shot' :

Dirt_Grows_-_127.jpg

So, the plan is to take one of the 4 girls above (likely to be one of the A-Trains) and put her in this 2 gallon Air Pot:

Dirt_Grows_-_128.jpg

Filled with this lovely FFOF/Roots/OC+ blend:

Dirt_Grows_-_129.jpg

Since I gave each of the big girls a half gallon of the higher Ca-Mg spiked water, I'll wait until the lucky girl's soil is dried out again, then will make the transplant.

Thanks again, to all of you, for dropping by and helping me out!

Looking good dude ;):high-five:
Thanks, brother! :Namaste:

Last night I transplanted A-Train #1 to a 3.4 gallon Air Pot, and the bagseed baby to another Air Pot; tonight both were looking spectacular. A few days earlier, I germinated a Vanilla Kush seed I found in my last zip of meds; that bean has a root tip popped out, is in a rapid rooter counter sunk in Roots Organic with OC+, as soon as that's above the surface of the soil and has primary leaves, I'm flipping the whole tent 12/12! :high-five:

Pics next week, I promise.

Screw it, I went ahead and just took pictures ;)

"The Family" - both white balanced and LEDs:

Dirt_Grows_-_130.jpg

Dirt_Grows_-_139.jpg

And closer shots of the repotted A-Train #1 and Bagseed:

Dirt_Grows_-_132.jpg

Dirt_Grows_-_134.jpg

and if you note in the 'Family' shot, the one gallon Air Pot. Well, my last bag of meds provided a surprise. A bean. It's Vanilla Kush, and after a 24 hour soak in water, it's in a rapid rooter countersunk into Roots Organic soil with OC+. Yeah, 12/12 from seed.

;) :peace: :roorrip:

Back
Top Bottom