Kerala x Skunk & NL x Skunk - Indoors - End of 2014

I haven't used any cal/mag. Don't have any, lol. Could it be a cal/mag deficiency? I do use regular tap water, but I'm unsure of its analysis.

which soil are you using? a lot of fortified soils have calcium in them and the calcium in hard water may just push the plant too far. it could be a deficiency though. all purpose nutrients usually have calcium in them too.

I'm using my own compost, composed mostly of cannabis carcasses, cow poop, newspapers, eggshells, banana peels, coffee grounds, veggie cuttings (minus garlic and onion), grass clippings, and red worms - there were a few worms left over after a fishing trip, I tossed them in the barrel, and there are thousands of them now. I mix this compost--after it's been composting for a few months, smells good, and small sticks in it are crumbling--with between 40-60% perlite, depending on how it drains.

Two thoughts. I use my own compost too - very similar to yours. (Lovely stuff, eh?) But I only use about 10% in my soil mix. I'm wondering if your compost / perlite mix might be a bit hot for them...you could try a flush since that never does any harm. Secondly, although I'm not feeding my girls I am giving them a weekly kelp foliar feed. I had similar spotting on leaves outdoors this summer and the kelp definitely promoted healthy green foliage. Again, it's unlikely to do any harm.

I do love composting. :love: I haven't got kelp right now, but I've heard rave reviews all over here and the webz on it. I'll pick some up as soon as I can. I just now flushed that Kerala, ran it for about 5 minutes in bathtub under faucet running slowly. Outdoors, when I water plants with fresh compost in their pots, water comes out brown, and the plants LOVE it. Indoors, not so much color at all. Of course, I'm not watering these the same as my other non-420 outdoor plants. I water those with a garden hose, very thoroughly, almost every day.

My suspicions are getting stronger for the non-spotted Kerala being a male. I'm still gonna wait, though. There are lots and lots of female preflowers on the older NLxS. All four plants are smelling AWESOME! Not much smell on their own, but as I inspected each plant, gently moving leaves, etc, they released their wonderful aromas. The NLxS really does smell like a skunk, and something else that's familiar, but I can't put a pin on it yet. Same for the KxS. Familiar, but hard to describe.

AMK - I've had issues like the one in your pics. Turned out it was a combo of CaMg and pH. Because the pH was low by a point or two, the Mg wasn't getting to the plant. Once the pH was addressed, the spotting ceased. It never repaired, but it didn't progress.

Good stuff to know about your compost and worms. I just received my squirmers last week and anxious for returns. Castings for the garden, bait for the hook, and garbage diverted from the landfill. Win, win, win.

I've only got old pH strips for aquarium use. The thing I have is called "API 5-in-1 Aquarium test strips - Test pH, NO2, NO3, KH, GH" I haven't used them since my second grow or so, when I did a DWC/Soil "hybrid" in a 3L bottle. I ought look into digital meter for soil and for hydro.

Quick question, what roles does (unsulphured) molasses play in cannabis growing, feeding, flushing, etc? I've used it in my previous grows, pretty much because other people report quality improvements in their medicine. I'm wondering how it effects the soil. My last grow, in my blog, I used molasses in it, same soil as now, and got a very low quality harvest. That could have simply been that plant's genetics, but I'm wondering if molasses played a role in my plants and soil being good or bad.

Well, I think we could use an overall photo here.

They are really happy. So am I. :)
SAM_1787.JPG

Kerala x Skunk #1, front about 3 weeks, back about 4 weeks (and possible male), from seed.
KxSnum1.JPG

Northern Lights x Skunk, front about 4 weeks, back about 3 weeks. Older one is confirmed female, with lots and lots of girly hairs.
NLxS.JPG

Nice looking plants, my friend. I have a real weak spot for Indicas. From what I've read about molasses, it benefits the microbial community in the soil, enabling better uptake of nutrients. I used it once in a perlite grow, and everyone raved about the taste, but I think they were just high! I really don't think it affects the flavour, but I'm probably just blowin' smoke.

Thank you! I love a good indica, as well. But I smoke more Sativas than indicas, to help calm my mental issues. Indicas when I'm in pain. I'm more often crazy than hurting, lol. With the cooler weather floating in, however, I've been aching like hell lately. Having trouble rolling joints, my hands hurt so much. One reason I'm looking forward to these plants. The NLxS has a bit of sativa in it, but not much, and the KxS has more sativa genes than indica. In plant structure, I'm thinking the Skunk is showing through most in both hybrids. Anyway, I should have two slightly different medicines when they are done.

I hear you, AMK. The Indicas vs. Pain is always a no contest. Besides, the Indicas + a big fatty + the headphones + Pink Floyd (or your fav) = Nirvana.

I hear you, AMK. The Indicas vs. Pain is always a no contest. Besides, the Indicas + a big fatty + the headphones + Pink Floyd (or your fav) = Nirvana.

molasses has some nutritional value:

Molasses
Sugar substitute
Molasses, or black treacle, is a viscous by-product of the refining of sugarcane or sugar beets into sugar. The word comes from the Portuguese melaço, ultimately derived from mel, the Portuguese and Latin word for "honey". Wikipedia
Nutrition Facts
Molasses
Amount Per 1 serving 1 tbsp (20 g)
Calories 58
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0 g 0%
Saturated fat 0 g 0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0 g
Monounsaturated fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 7 mg 0%
Potassium 293 mg 8%
Total Carbohydrate 15 g 5%
Dietary fiber 0 g 0%
Sugar 15 g
Protein 0 g 0%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 4% Iron 4%
Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 5%
Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 12%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Calcium and Magnesium, and Potassium to boot. Cool.

Interesting, but I think that might draw bugs, due to the sugar content. Most of the carbohydrates in molasses have been removed, to turn into regular sugar.

I've only used biobizz's molasses so I don't know. sorry.

Bio·Grow® Application
1. Use 2-4 ml of Bio·Grow® per liter of
water (1,5 - 3 teaspoons per Gallon).
2. Replace with every nutrient change
during the bloom cycle.
Guaranteed Analysis
Low Analysis Fertilizer
Total Nitrogen (N) ...3.00%
2.99% Water Soluble Nitrogen
0.01% Water Insoluble Nitrogen
Soluble Potash (K2O) ...8.00%
Derived from Beet Vinasse.

Bio·Bloom™ Application
1. Use 2-5 ml of Bio·Bloom™ per liter of
water (1,5 - 3 teaspoons per Gallon).
2. Replace with every nutrient change
during the bloom cycle.
Guaranteed Analysis
Low Analysis Fertilizer
Total Nitrogen (N) ...1.00%
1.00% Water Soluble Nitrogen
Available Phosphate (P2O5) ...2.00%
Soluble Potash (K2O) ...2.00%
Derived from Sea Kelp (Ascophyllum
nodosum), Beet Vinasse.

I decided to live dangerously, and plucked the top off of the younger NLxS. Pics of it tomorrow. :)

EDIT: I ate the top, and the taste reminded me of fresh-picked green beans, or asparagus tops.

The 4-week-old Kerala x Skunk is male, I'm 99.9% certain now.

SAM_1816.JPG
SAM_18152.JPG
SAM_1811.JPG

The three-week-old Kerala x Skunk is male too, I'm also certain. Same balls as on 4-week-old KxS. That leaves me with one confirmed female NLxS, and one other NLxS that hasn't displayed sex characteristics yet. I've still got another Kerala x Skunk #1 regular seed I can sow, and a feminized Royal Queen Power Flower seed, that I may plant.

EDIT: I've got both male Kerala's sitting on a table next to my computer desk right now, and I have to say--they smell fucking awesome. I know they're male, and I could keep them outside, but it's been cold at night and they'd likely not make it. These two are destined for compost. In the meantime, I'm enjoying messing with them and enjoying their aroma. :)

EDIT2: I'm also taking this opportunity to practice training techniques.

It may be a perfect opportunity to collect some pollen if there's no danger to the girls.

Back
Top Bottom