Long Cures

Stop Smelling it !!!! :rofl: Are you still burping and does it feel dry?? I assume you are curing in jars??
I have them in glass jars, i open them occasionally now
What's your rh ?

Without that we can only guess as to what's up...

Cheers
My RH 60%, the buds look and feel amazing, but i was hoping for a more unique smell, they smell grassy to me.

Give them some time. Often find this smell takes longer to go if a wet trim has been done.
Not always the case though. If you brush your nose against a bud or give one a little squeeze and it smells great then it probably needs more time and burping daily for a week after they go into the jars will definitely help. Realise late for that now.
If no smell when squeezing a little guy then probably won't come back.

I experienced this on my first harvest. I had it drying in a tent and temps got to near 30c (during mid summer).. Yeah my weed was hay!! But hey, I still smoked it anyway. It may not of tasted nice. But I cud still get a high off it and still slept like a lamb on it. This run I ain't gonna make the same mistake. Hope the teste comes into it for ya... 👍

Give them some time. Often find this smell takes longer to go if a wet trim has been done.
Not always the case though. If you brush your nose against a bud or give one a little squeeze and it smells great then it probably needs more time and burping daily for a week after they go into the jars will definitely help. Realise late for that now.
If no smell when squeezing a little guy then probably won't come back.
Yup, it gets me high, but that floral smell i really like isnt there…..yet i hope
I experienced this on my first harvest. I had it drying in a tent and temps got to near 30c (during mid summer).. Yeah my weed was hay!! But hey, I still smoked it anyway. It may not of tasted nice. But I cud still get a high off it and still slept like a lamb on it. This run I ain't gonna make the same mistake. Hope the teste comes into it for ya... 👍
i dryed in my tent and misspoke, it was a 7day dry, fans were blowing on the buds😬 and the humidity was mid 50’s

I’ll do it different next time

1667392910706.jpeg

1667392942304.jpeg

1667393641728.png

it usually takes a month or so of burping the jars until they reach a stable 60% rh or so. once that is done leave them sealed for at least another 4wks without burping. after that it should be 'ready'. it may not get better, but it won't be changing after that point.

if they hit the jars too dry, the best you can do is seal them up, burp only occasionally, then let them sit for 4wks or so before using.

If they are hitting 60% is it necessary to add a humidity pac ??

more to keep it stable long term. the humidity packs work both ways, either adding or taking rh out. the range they work in is very narrow, about +/- 5% or so. you do most of the work burping it.

Yup, it gets me high, but that floral smell i really like isnt there…..yet i hope

i dryed in my tent and misspoke, it was a 7day dry, fans were blowing on the buds😬 and the humidity was mid 50’s

I’ll do it different next time

1667392910706.jpeg

1667392942304.jpeg

1667393641728.png
Ah man a wudnt mind those buds looks nice as well. At least u know for sure u can produce the goods. I've much to learn. If my current grow comes out the same il probably cry.

A few folks have mentioned these new "Grove bags" on the market. They take the work out a curing. No burping needed! I personally haven't tried them but have spoke to many who have tried them and apparently they work very well. Il be trying them in about 6 weeks.

After hanging, I usually dry mine in tubs to under 70 RH, I try for 68 but have jarred at 72, then put in jars and sweat/burp daily until they get down to 63. That usually takes 7-10 days. Then I toss 2 boveda 62's into each jar and let the bovedas bring it down from 63 to 62 and it sits there stable. Once it hits 62 I let it sit unopened for 4 weeks. Then I notice this: At 4 weeks it becomes borderline smokable but coughy and bunky, at 6 weeks a bit better. At 8 weeks it turns an amazing corner and becomes good. I call it 85%. At 3 months it goes to 90% and at 6 months, depending on the strain, it goes to 95 or 100% and anything with OG in it seems to get to 100% at around a year. Indicas seem to become borderline smokable earlier but I grow mostly sativas and they seem to take longer. At 3-6 months, again strain dependant, the potency really climbs. After a year I often find potency drops a bit but the quality of the buzz gets really nice and the color is usually a golden brown. That golden color means the chlorophyl (and likely a ton of other things) has broken down and the green grassy taste is gone. I also find that grows that needed rescue and required a large amount of Blackstrap Molasses, or any other form of hardener, never really cure properly and always taste bunkier.

So in a nutshell... get it to a stable 62%, put the lids on tight, take a picture of it in good light, then 30 days later take a picture of it again in the same light, and compare. If the green is starting to go gold it should be well on its way. If it hasnt changed color at all and you havent let it get too dry then its just a longer curing strain. Then its tester time once a week!😎.

I grow a lot of Durban Poison and at 3 months its bunky, really bunky. At 4 months its goldish and really nice. At 6 months its amazing. At a year it starts to diminish. The hard part is letting a crop cure for that long in the beginning so pick 1 jar and store it for 6 months to show yourself the value. I have some Cropking OG/Cali Haze that is 5 years old and the potency has really nosedived but the weed is so golden its more of an orange color. I also find that alot of purple strains turn a weird greyish color at about 9 months, which really freaks people out lol.

I also find that only trimming it to the sugar line, curing it, and final trimming at smoke time gives the best cure. All the cured sugar trim makes great hash oil. I toss it all into a jar with a boveda and every now and then when the jar fills I make a batch of oil. The oil is beautiful in color once all the green has disappeared from the leaf.

Also a note on bovedas. As they are 2 way packs then if they start to dry out on you, seal them in a jar until next time you pop seeds or cut clones. Place them with the seedlings or clones, or any grow environment above 62% rh and after a week they are plump and jelly-like again. I have used the same bovedas for over 5 years.

Also a note on bovedas. As they are 2 way packs then if they start to dry out on you, seal them in a jar until next time you pop seeds or cut clones. Place them with the seedlings or clones, or any grow environment above 62% rh and after a week they are plump and jelly-like again. I have used the same bovedas for over 5 years.
Wow, that 2 way information is huge.. granted Bovedas aren’t that expensive, but that’s one less thing I have to tell my wife I’m spending money on 🤣

For me its more of a "Theres never one around when you need one" kind of thing so I rejuvenate🤣🤣. This year has solved that tho, I grew one Rose Kush/C99 outside, scrogged it, and got over 2 pounds of primo bud so I have to buy a ton of Bovedas🤣 . Going forward I will always have enough. Beware the scrog!! It will cause a bad case of trimming blisters!🤣🤣🤣 and break the bank buying bovedas and mason jars!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ah man a wudnt mind those buds looks nice as well. At least u know for sure u can produce the goods. I've much to learn. If my current grow comes out the same il probably cry.

A few folks have mentioned these new "Grove bags" on the market. They take the work out a curing. No burping needed! I personally haven't tried them but have spoke to many who have tried them and apparently they work very well. Il be trying them in about 6 weeks.

Grove bags sound very cool. Worth a try for sure.

it's not hard to refresh bovedas by sealing them up in a plastic bag with a damp piece of cloth or paper towel. even storing them with other bovedas alone will refresh them in many cases.

Back
Top Bottom