Med Gom 1.0 & Massive Midget In A Chilled Aerogarden With Mars Hydro Reflector LED

Re: Med Gom 1.0 & Massive Midget In A Chilled Aerogarden With Mars Hydro Reflector LE

The second Aerogarden Ultra showed up today, got a solid used deal on it - about $85 bucks, shipped. The overhead LED unit on this is different from my current one - the logo on the front lights up and there are more red/blue clusters in smaller groups. I think it's the same wattage of output, 30 watts, but in a better arrangement. Anyhow, it won't be serving as the main light after I get my first set of real leaves. Both of the Aerogarden lights will be using to provide lighting from behind the plant.
I did have to remove the pump from this new unit and removed roots and nutrient stains from the previous owners last grow. Looks like it was used to grow some herbs and the reservoir water must have rarely or never been swapped out. The root remnants were black. Anyhow, it's all cleaned up and ready for further modification!

I'll work on getting a chiller installed in the new (used) Aerogarden this weekend.

The PH monitor I'm using also has a temp probe, for those that are interested. It's called "RISEPRO PH-991. It uses BNC style PH probes, which are replaceable if it gets corroded or malfunctions. Low (4.0) and High (7.0) testing shows it to be accurate within .04 range, which is incredible accurate - much better than the 2 pens I've used.

The seeds that I had in cups of RO water were sunk when I got home from work today. I placed both into labeled grow cups and sponges and they are now in the Aerogarden, as well. On the Massive Midget that was placed straight into the grow sponge without a 24hr water soak, it looks like some sprout is starting to come out of the top of the seed - that would be crazy quick if it really is. Looks like a tiny hair right now.

IMG_312216.JPG

Re: Med Gom 1.0 & Massive Midget In A Chilled Aerogarden With Mars Hydro Reflector LE

Two days late and I missed the front page. This remains an intriguing grow and I look forward to seeing how ya make out this time.

:popcorn:

Two days late and I missed the front page. This remains an intriguing grow and I look forward to seeing how ya make out this time.

:popcorn:

Welcome back! I learned a lot on the last grow (my first grow) and hope to impress with a top quality harvest. 2 very different strains but with similar time frames to harvest. I feel a lot more relaxed on this one and won't be sweating as much of the small stuff.

The MG (Med Gom) that was not pre-soaked and got placed directly into the AeroGarden is pushing up and almost even with the surface of the grow sponge. I expect to see that one sprouted tomorrow. Both MM (massive midget) seeds are roughly in the same position as when planted. 48 hours now since starting germination.

IMG_312515.JPG
IMG_312612.JPG

Snagged an identical chiller, used, for about $70 shipped. Will be getting another inkbird controller unit. Also have T-fittings on the way so that the air pumps will operated a single 4" circular airstone in each Aerogarden unit. No need for 2 airstones with a single plant in each.

Both MG's are above ground now, the one on the far left is unfurling out of the seed casing. The MG on the far right has just split the seed casing. The MM that was pre-soaked in the cup is slightly above the grow sponge now, I expect it to be fully out in the morning. The MM that went directly into a grow sponge with no pre-soak hasn't done squat. I took the seed out and inspected it, it is swelling but no sign of tap root and the seed casing is still fully intact. Chiller for the 2nd Aerogarden was supposed to be here today but is a no-show, hopefully tomorrow, as I won't have too much time during the upcoming week to get it rigged up.

IMG_31468.JPG

Alright, this is officially Day 1 above ground. PH is at 5.8 and temps are at 75F with 40% humidity. Domes are off, they'd be touching them in another 4 hours or so. I've got the stock Aerogarden LED hood about 6" from the tops. First set of leaves is out. Tap roots are already into the water of the reservoir on all 3 that are above ground.

Chiller arrived today and I'll be drilling the second Aerogarden to get it fitted in tomorrow. Gonna grab some more pavers tomorrow to elevate the second unit off of the ground. Very excited about the stress free start, can't wait to get the second Aerogarden fitted with the chiller and in the tent.

IMG_315113.JPG
IMG_315214.JPG
IMG_315313.JPG
IMG_315016.JPG
IMG_315517.JPG

The highest temps I saw today in the tent were 80F - no fan on and the door closed, only the small mesh windows at the bottom opened. Based on this, I turned on the chiller and set the controller to 23.8C/75F.

:thumb:just few days, you got sprouts:bravo:
Alright, this is officially Day 1 above ground. PH is at 5.8 and temps are at 75F with 40% humidity. Domes are off, they'd be touching them in another 4 hours or so. I've got the stock Aerogarden LED hood about 6" from the tops. First set of leaves is out. Tap roots are already into the water of the reservoir on all 3 that are above ground.

Chiller arrived today and I'll be drilling the second Aerogarden to get it fitted in tomorrow. Gonna grab some more pavers tomorrow to elevate the second unit off of the ground. Very excited about the stress free start, can't wait to get the second Aerogarden fitted with the chiller and in the tent.

IMG_315113.JPG
IMG_315214.JPG
IMG_315313.JPG
IMG_315016.JPG
IMG_315517.JPG

The highest temps I saw today in the tent were 80F - no fan on and the door closed, only the small mesh windows at the bottom opened. Based on this, I turned on the chiller and set the controller to 23.8C/75F.

Day 2 above ground. Sprouts are 1.5 to 2 inches tall with strong stems. I still have the stock Aerogarden LED hood about 6" above the sprouts. PH is 5.75, temp is 75F and humidity is about 40%.

I pulled the MM seed that hadn't popped yet. It has about a 1" taproot, very fat, that's coming out and the seed is split so it might be trying to push to the surface. I placed it back into the grow sponge and we'll see what happens.

IMG_315715.JPG

IMG_315814.JPG

Gonna be a busy afternoon/night when I get home from work. Going to get the second Aerogarden plumbed for the chiller, get the chiller installed and then get both units properly positioned inside of the tent. Once that's done, I'll be separating the strains and most likely flushing the extra MedGom, as I don't think I'd be successful in growing 2 of those in 1 Aerogarden.

Day 3: I drilled the second Aerogarden and installed the chiller. However, my epoxy layer between the reservoir and the stand must not have fully set. I was getting water leaking from between the reservoir and stand, very slow, but I broke it down and am waiting for it to dry before doing a second epoxy application at the bulkhead. The 3 that have sprouted look great and the last MM appears to be breaking ground tonight.

I'll have the second unit back in tomorrow night and will have one species per Aerogarden. Med Gom 1.0 on the left and Massive Midget on the right.

Aerovoir (1 gallon auto top off jugs) will be behind each Aerogarden. I installed a second digital timed power strip tonight, so there will be 1 timer/power strip per unit - each one coming from it's own wall outlet for a bit of extra safety.

IMG_31639.JPG
IMG_316213.JPG

4 days above ground today. After some finishing work on the second Aerogarden's bulkhead for the chiller, it is now water tight. I've got it up and running and both of the Med Gom 1.0's are in that unit, on the left of the tent. The Massive Midget will be the sole occupant of the right side unit, as it's brother/sister failed to perform and has been sent on a toilet ride. I'll figure out which Med Gom I want to keep this weekend at the 1 week mark.

I've set up paver stones in between the two Aerogarden's to elevate the air pumps and give me a more defined space to hold some of my shit. I think this will be an efficient setup, for sure. All plants are loving life right now and growing like....weeds!

Chiller is up and running on both units, max ambient temp in the tent today was 77F with both lights on, tent closed and office door closed. House A/C is set for 75F, so I'm very pleased with the new set up and location.

IMG_316917.JPG
IMG_317017.JPG
IMG_317114.JPG
IMG_317215.JPG
IMG_31669.JPG
IMG_317313.JPG
IMG_316712.JPG
IMG_316813.JPG
IMG_31749.JPG

Sorry folks, I was too wiped out last night to head upstairs and grab pics. However, all 3 girls look fantastic and the second set of leaves is coming in nicely. I also took a peek this morning to see where I was standing from a temp/PH standpoint and all is good. We've got a lot of rain rolling through the area for the next week, so, I'm going to hold off on setting up the humidifier. Will be adding in my first light dose of nutes this weekend. Tomorrow will mark 7 days above ground.

Day 6 above ground. PH and temp are right in the sweet spot. Humidity a bit low at 38%, but no big deal. Both Med Gom's and the Massive Midget are looking great. The MM is the leader of the pack, from a growth standpoint, so far. Roots are looking good on all plants and spreading out nicely.

I've just finished off the "A" grade jar of the Dwarf Low Flyer. Onto the "B" side now.

IMG_317712.JPG
IMG_317811.JPG
IMG_317913.JPG

7 days above ground. PH is around 5.9, so not playing around with that tonight. Highest temp today was 81F, power went out for a good stretch this afternoon so I think that was the culprit. All 3 plants look great. I'm probably going to sacrifice the Med Gom with the slight crooked main stem and keep the one that's as straight as an arrow, even though it's technically 1 day younger than the other Med Gom.
The Massive Midget looks great, middle parts of leaves closest to stem have some very light green, visible in the photos, but I'm not concerned about that. Can't have a nute deficiency when the plants aren't really even taking any nutes in. I'll get some root pics this weekend, but they look great. I love that voodoo juice from AN, it really gets the roots crawling.

I added in 3ml of Sensi Grow A and 3ml of Sensi Grow B to each Aerogarden tonight, PPM's are reading about 210. Should take about a week for them to wipe that down to zero. Chillers + controller on both units are working great, keeping the reservoir temp in a very tight range between 73.5 and 74.5. Once that third set of leaves comes in, I'll drop it down to 70F.

The Massive Midget

IMG_318112.JPG

And the Med Gom's

IMG_318317.JPG

8 days above ground today. Nothing exciting going on over here, just building up some momentum. Leaves continue to get larger (both sets). I'll be doing a reservoir swap tomorrow just to keep things fresh. At this stage, I'm taking a "less is more" approach. Once the third set of leaves comes in, I'll be going back to 3 x daily PH checks/adjustments.

IMG_318614.JPG
IMG_318718.JPG
IMG_318819.JPG
IMG_318914.JPG

Day 9 above ground. This morning, the second set of leaves on the MM was looking wilty and there are 2 necrosis spots forming on its first set. Since the humidity was low (37%) I put the humidifier in and got that boosted back up. Temp today has been 78F with humidity at 62%. PH on both units is at 5.9. PPM's are at 220. I'm wondering if it's just bad genetics, since the other Massive Midget I dropped had a bizarre germination fail where the root came out about 1" but the shell itself never split or moved upwards. It could also be that Massive Midget isn't fond of hydro/aero/dwc methods.

Either way, back up plan executed and Critical+ Auto by Dinafem is in the cup soaking. The leaves on the MM look like they're displaying symptoms of overwatering. On top of adding the humidifier, I dialed back the drip pump to be on for 1 minute and off for 8 minutes on the aerogarden running Massive Midget. We'll see how this turns out.

IMG_320215.JPG
IMG_320412.JPG

The Med Gom's look fantastic and are kicking butt. Second set is filling out quickly on both.

IMG_320513.JPG

Back
Top Bottom