4 Auto's In Chilled DWC - Tangiematic x 2, Blackberry, Blue Treacle

CMJJMC2000

Hello, folks! It's been about a year since my last project. I spent the last 2-3 years working in chilled Aerogarden Ultra's on prior grows (Dwarf Low Flyer, Massive Midget, Med Gom 1.0 (twice), Critical + Auto, Fastberry, Pineapple Express, Industrial Plant CBD) and I learned a lot, but most of all I learned that my life would be much easier with a larger reservoir! So, I put together a system that took my reservoir from 1 gallon to 10 gallons - although, I'm only using about 6 gallons of actual water in the reservoir.

So, life has been busy, I'm about 3 weeks into my grow and all plants now have pistils at the nodes and growth is coming on strong.

The new setup - 12 gallon tote with blackout lid and 6 holes cut for net pots. I also cut and plumbed in one of the iceprobe chillers from one of the old custom Aerogardens I used to work with. The chiller is much more effective with a larger reservoir size and the tent is staying much cooler (high of 74, low of 68) due to the increased cooling effect that the chilled reservoir has on the overall tent environment. Tent is a 36x36x72 running a 4" fan and Phresh carbon filter. Per usual, I'm running the FULL line from Advanced Nutrients on this grow.

The plants - I was so pleased with the results off of my last Fastbuds grow (Fastberry and Pineapple Express), that I decided to give them another roll on this one. I have 2 Tangiematic's at the back of the tub, Blackberry is front right and the last is Blue Treacle at the front left - which is not a Fastbuds creation but instead from Feminized Seeds. I'm taking a bit of a chance on the Blue Treacle, but have read decent things about it.

Germination - I germinated ALL seeds via papertowel + paperplate method. Once I had about 1/2" of taproop, I then placed them into their mediums. I started 1 Tangiematic and 1 Blackberry in rockwool. I PH adjusted the cubes prior, of course, and really just dropped the seedling in the rockwool, set up my net pots with hydroton pebbles and waited. The other Tangiematic and the Blue Treacle were sprouted in the Aerogarden, using Aerogarden grow media. With no rockwool experience, I wanted to spread the uncertainly on sprouting around a little bit. As can be seen in the pictures, the seeds that sprouted in the Aerogarden are about 4 times the size of the ones sprouted in the rockwool. All around, the seeds sprouted in the Aerogarden exceed every measurable metric compared to the Rockwool; stem height, stem girth, time taken to reach 3 full sets of leaves, time taken to sprout pistils, etc. I'll definitely continue this method of using the Aerogarden to grow out.

Current conditions; PH at 5.8, PPM's at 400, reservoir temperature at 69F and tent temperature at 74F with 45% humidity. It's getting a little skunky, but not anything crazy yet. However, if it continues to pick up, I'll be grabbing a second fan + carbon filter to scrub the room and not just the tent.

I've included a few pics below. With life being as hectic as it's been, the pics aren't ideal - but I'll work on that this weekend. Note, all plants on the left were sprouted/grown out in the Aerogarden. The plants on the right have been in the Tote since the taproot broke out of the seed. Tangiematic taking up both back spots - look at the difference in size! Blackberry is front right and Blue Treacle is front left.

Just a brief update - all plants are doing well and beefing up. Blackberry (front right) is the runt of the litter, her stem is getting very fat and strong, just not nearly as much foliation as the others. I'm hoping she'll perk up, as the others are in early flowering stage "stretch" mode. As a note; Blue Treacle is front left, Blackberry is front right, Tangiematic taking up both the back slots.

First - the tub has been rotated 90 degrees clockwise, so both Tangiematic's are on the right side, Blackberry is front left and Blue Treacle is rear left.

Things are progressing quite quickly. Plants have been taking in a little over 1 gallon of fluid per day for the last week. I've had PPM's up to 1100 but within 3 days were down to 200. They're hungry and thirsty - great sign. Chiller has held the reservoir at a constant 67F, while the temp on the plants is about 78F at it's highest during the day and down to 70F at the lowest point. I've been running these lights 24/7 since day 1.

Tangiematic's are both voracious. The satellite sites on both of them are beefy and copious in quantity. The stems on those two are definitely meant to bear weight. The one that was grown out in the Aerogarden using the Aerogarden growing media is nearly 50% thicker at the base of the stem than the one grown out in rockwool. I will definitely use these and not rockwool on future projects. Flowers are coming in, smell is skunky and sweet.

Blue Treacle is a beast, very fat stem and beefy satellite sites - she was grown out in the Aerogarden using the Aerogarden growing media - again, rockwool is outta here. Smell is muted, as advertised. If the tent was full of these, I'd probably not *need* a carbon filter.

Blackberry has some heart, she's come back from the abyss and is thriving. I believe I'm dealing with a slight calcium deficiency on her, as I have some small rust spots - but the rust spots haven't eaten through on any of the leaves and the green parts are still soft and quite alive, not losing any moisture. Strange - this usually happens to *all* of the plants in prior grows during the first 2-3 weeks, but that was when I was using an Aerogarden for the whole grow. Anyhow, she's also flowering but her satellite sites are very unimpressive. Her main stem has really fattened up, not on par with the others but I'm impressed she made it. Smell is sweet, tinges of purple coming in on the very tips of the topmost leaves on the main cola budsite. The main cola is looking like it will be at least 9" long on her, it's flowering all along the top of the main stem with 9 nodes about 1" apart each.

PH has been very tight, between 5.7 and 5.9. I'm going to let things drift in a wider range and see if the calcium deficiency issues corrects on Blackberry. All others are very hard and showing no signs of peevishness.

Flowers are abundant! Bud is now growing, about gumball size, on all plants except for the Tangiematic that was started in the rockwool. Surprisingly, the two rockwool grown plants (Blackberry and 1 of the Tangiematic's) are the tallest in the tent. Blackberry is 3.5 feet tall and still growing and the Tangiematic is about 3 feet tall (from the lid, not from the floor). The Blue Treacle and other Tangiematic, grown in Aerogarden growing media, are much more squat than their counterparts. Not sure if this is growing media related or if it's phenotype related. Anyhow, their satellite bud sites surrounding the main cola appear to be much more robust than the rockwool grown plants. Regardless, I'm excited to see the days progress every afternoon when I open the tent. The daily growth, at this point, is astounding. I love watching the bud fill out and working my wizardry with the nutrients. Still running *full* Advanced Nutrients line and plants are loving it. PPM consumption on the roughly 5 gallons of fluid in the reservoir is about 350 ppm per day. As a reminder, the light is a 600w unit from Viparspectra and the plants are also loving that. Carbon filter is working like a champ, I splurged on a brand name filter and the difference between this and the old amazon special's I'd get is absolutely mind blowing. Scent outside of the tent is - literally - zero.

Congrats on the plants so far they r looking amazing I'm also doing some new autos I got from fast buds I'm doing a gorilla glue n a c4 and I'm germing a tangie'matic right now lol

I have some C4 and Gorilla Glue in the bank, but I'm only doing about 1 project per year as these are solely for personal use - this harvest may last me a bit longer than a year, as the size of the plants is exceeding my expectation.

The Tangiematic is - so far - a real treat. I've got 2 pheno's showing with 2 that I'm growing. One has incredibly dark green leaves with much more frequent, tiny serrations on the leaves - which are smaller than the other example which has much lighter leaves and a much taller structure with fewer serrations on the leaves and much greater distance between the serrations. The stem on the smaller plant is incredibly fat as well, which is a surefire sign that the plant is going to bear heavy fruit/flower.

Main update for this post is that I added in a 2nd Viparspectra LED unit, this one is 450 watts. So, this now brings me up to 1050 watts in the tent for these 4 plants. I have the 450 watt unit mounted a few inches below the roof of the tent right at the front entrance, it is angled back to provide excellent coverage for the very tall Blackberry plant and the Tangiematic (taller pheno) that's to the right of her.

Nutrient uptake is still around 350ppm per day (measured *after* topping off the reservoir with RO water for true figure) and PH is holding rock steady between 5.6 and 5.8 without me fiddling with it. All plants but the front-right Tangiematic are heavy in flower mode, buds growing nicely. The front-right Tangiematic *is* flowering, but her bud sits up top aren't shooting pistils. But, the middle and lower sites are; kinda strange, but she's gonna do what she wants - I'm just here to provide what she asks for.

Here's some pics - there's a few taken via the side flap (apologies for cord dangling in the middle of the photo).

Main update for this post is that I added in a 2nd Viparspectra LED unit, this one is 450 watts. So, this now brings me up to 1050 watts in the tent for these 4 plants. I have the 450 watt unit mounted a few inches below the roof of the tent right at the front entrance, it is angled back to provide excellent coverage for the very tall Blackberry plant and the Tangiematic (taller pheno) that's to the right of her.

Nutrient uptake is still around 350ppm per day (measured *after* topping off the reservoir with RO water for true figure) and PH is holding rock steady between 5.6 and 5.8 without me fiddling with it. All plants but the front-right Tangiematic are heavy in flower mode, buds growing nicely. The front-right Tangiematic *is* flowering, but her bud sits up top aren't shooting pistils. But, the middle and lower sites are; kinda strange, but she's gonna do what she wants - I'm just here to provide what she asks for.

Here's some pics - there's a few taken via the side flap (apologies for cord dangling in the middle of the photo).

Looks great so far man congrats i have my c4 from fast buds starting to flower out weird as well seems like she started to flower kinda small but we will see how she ends up come harvest for a yield lol I hope this weekend I'll be able 2 get my rdwc system setup n going n then I'll really be in the business lol it's a pain 4 different 5 gallon buckets I have to change out individually but either way I love the dwc system so far for my first time n the way u got ur girls lookn I'm liking the whole one reservoir thing

LOve those autos

Right me to I'm thinking of adding one of the strains I have into my strain I'm currently making I was thinking of the c4 since I'm starting to see pink and purple and red colors on the pistals already lolbut I wana grow each strain out a few times first ya no

I'll have some pictures up tomorrow, but wanted to pass along some significant news. The Tangie and Blackberry, the ones started in rockwool, are now the size queens of the tent - substantially. The satellite sites that were weak and flimsy on Blackberry are fat and robust now, and bearing big fruit. Blackberry's buds have all turned purple - they're about popcorn size right now and stacking daily. All the other plants are doing great, as well.
Water intake has climbed to about 1.25 gallons per day, PPM intake still around 300-350. I've added cal-mag three times this week and I believe that this is helping substantially with fueling the bulk - along with the rest of the Advanced Nutrients line. I'll probably be adding in Overdrive next weekend - as there should be about 2-3 weeks left at that point on most of the plants.
Temperature in the tent has increased - of course - with the addition of the second light and the high is now about 81F with 45% humidity. I've been 24/7 the whole grow but am now going to switch to 18/6 - allowing the lights to be off during the afternoon. This should allow temps to drop back into the low 70's. I've added in 2 more fans now - 1 below the canopy and 2 above - for a total of 3. They're small and provide a very light breeze, the plants like it.
Root zone looks good, too. The root balls on these 4 plants will blow your mind - I'll be sure to snag a pic at the end of the grow.

Looks great so far man congrats i have my c4 from fast buds starting to flower out weird as well seems like she started to flower kinda small but we will see how she ends up come harvest for a yield lol I hope this weekend I'll be able 2 get my rdwc system setup n going n then I'll really be in the business lol it's a pain 4 different 5 gallon buckets I have to change out individually but either way I love the dwc system so far for my first time n the way u got ur girls lookn I'm liking the whole one reservoir thing

The more space the better. Similar to when growing in a soil based medium, the more room you allow the roots to expand, the more they *will* expand. Larger root system below will always equate to a larger more robust structure and harvest above. Provided your plants will have similar nutrient requirements and/or sensitivities, using a large tote-style DWC setup should yield excellent results. Note that the added chiller is a fairly cheap way to do a few things; ensure low reservoir temps which promotes plant health and also decreases the chance of bad bacteria growth in the reservoir, help to decrease the stress brought on by high temperatures in the grow tent. Keeping the root zone chilled will allow plants to handle a higher air temperature.

Kicking off week 7 here with a few pics. Blackberry and Tangiematic up front, Blue Treacle and Tangiematic in the back. Note that this tent is 3x3x6 - the front left Tangiematic, if placed in the center, *could* take up the whole tent. She is the largest auto I've grown to date, truly enormous. I've some some of her satellite bud sites zip tied in such a way that she's not overly crowding the other plants - but if the zip ties went, it would be like the Griswold's Christmas Tree in there. Next project (even though it probably won't be for another year or more) will use a 4x4 with 2 totes.

The more space the better. Similar to when growing in a soil based medium, the more room you allow the roots to expand, the more they *will* expand. Larger root system below will always equate to a larger more robust structure and harvest above. Provided your plants will have similar nutrient requirements and/or sensitivities, using a large tote-style DWC setup should yield excellent results. Note that the added chiller is a fairly cheap way to do a few things; ensure low reservoir temps which promotes plant health and also decreases the chance of bad bacteria growth in the reservoir, help to decrease the stress brought on by high temperatures in the grow tent. Keeping the root zone chilled will allow plants to handle a higher air temperature.

Awesome man thanx I'll keep tht in mind

Wrapping up week 7 tomorrow and here's an update on the 4 ladies. Did a full reservoir flush today, replaced with RO'd water. Added in my nutes (Bloom A, Bloom B, sensi cal mag xtra, voodoo/tarantula/piranha, B-52, Bud Factor X, Big Bud, Bud Candy) up to 900ppm. Plants are taking in a little over 1.5 gallons per day from the reservoir, currently. I've been topping off nightly, but since I'm the peak of flowering I may start checking things in the morning, as well. Overall, this has been my most "hands off" grow. I'm really pleased with the chiller, it's keeping the reservoir in the upper 60's and I know the plants love that since they're dealing with a high of 79F above ground.

Blackberry is - by far - the most mature of the bunch. She could be ready for chopping in about 10-14 more days depending on how the final "swell" goes. She's stacking and swelling out calyx's at a frenzied rate, putting on more late-term mass than any plant I've grown before. Her main cola is going to produce about an 18" long cluster and she's so purple right now it's making my mouth water. The smell - after rubbing my fingers on the trichs - is incredibly berry/grape-ish. I've grown fastberry, but this one has a deeper, more robustly sweet smell.

Tangiematic's are in beast mode - the front right tangie is the largest plant I've ever grown, by a wide margin. I'm scared to think of how much she'll weigh in at, as her bud sites are getting fat and the satellite sites/side branches are bearing extremely generous amounts of flower. The tangie behind her is about half the size but with tighter spaced bud sites. They both smell identically fantastic - sweet, citrusy and skunky. In another week, their buds should be much chunkier.

Blue Treacle is right in between Blackberry and Tangiematic in terms of maturity. She looks like a nice specimen but is unremarkable in smell, very light smell. A tent full of these would require virtually no carbon filtration. The structure of the plant is unremarkable, as well. It's exactly what I'd expect as far as size and yield for the average autoflower. I picked this one up as a recommendation from the site that I purchased from. In hindsight, I regret not substituting a C4 bean in her place. But, I'm sure she'll deliver a nice hybrid hit.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the results at this stage. I've been working through, mentally, the flushing process for these girls. Blackberry will, obviously, be harvested before the others by a good 1-1.5 week margin. If the other plants are in the middle of their final swell, I'm not quite sure how I'll handle the use of flawless finish. In the grand scheme of things, it wouldn't set the other girls back tremendously, but I just won't know until the time comes. I haven't gone crazy on sucker fan defoliation, so they should be able to burn their stores and not suffer any real deficiencies. We'll see. Anyhow, enjoy the pics............

Back
Top Bottom