Medical Grow

Looks like you're just about ready to go there Doc! :thumb:

It's great that your partner is safety minded and knows his stuff.

Looking forward to seeing you get those babies going!

What germination method do you use? I'm a little gun-shy since I messed up 3 good seeds the last time I tried.

I like to plant seeds in dirt. Even in hempy buckets, I start seeds in a small amount of dirt, with perlite below.

Seeds need to be in the dark, they are healthier if they can practice geotropism, etc.

This time I'll be sprouting in LIght Warrior.

I like to plant seeds in dirt. Even in hempy buckets, I start seeds in a small amount of dirt, with perlite below.
Good Info! Thanks Doc! The various "sure fire" ways people use to germinate seeds left me feeling unsure of which way to go. Especially after the soak in a cup method didn't work for me last time. Simple is good!
Seeds need to be in the dark, they are healthier if they can practice geotropism, etc.
I agree, these plants should be free to practice the religion of their choice!:Rasta:
:thanks:

This time I'll be sprouting in LIght Warrior.

That is exactly why I plant mine in Jiffy Pellets, in 2g pots. I also make sure that any water or nutes are free of Auxins(not 100%) for the first 2-3 weeks. Auxins negativly effect the root tip, the positive getropic part of the plant in high doses. There is a catch 22 here. Most nutrient's have high doses of auxins, which PROMOTES the intake of more water and thereby more nutrients to the part of the plant that exhibits negative geotropism.(the shoot)

That is as much as I understand anyway, correct me if I am wrong!

Perlite is a fantastic medium for yield and simplicity. However, IMO the taste just isn't as good. It's not bad, mind you, just not exquisite. (at least with my grows)

Here's a little insight into how I'm looking at the whole thing:

The Cannabis industry is going to mirror the wine industry. Just as the average wine consumer evolved from Red, White or Rose to White Zinfandel to "real" wines, Cab's, Syrah's, Pinot's etc. the same thing is going to happen with pot.

Right now, the average consumer wants to get F'd up.....they don't mind coughing a bit....it's all about the effect.

I want to produce exquisite tasting products that are a social lubricant....like wine. Potency is of secondary importance....I want it to taste and smell good, and make people want to talk and laugh....not melt into the couch.

In other words, I want to grow "adult" weed.

In order to bring out those subtleties....I'm gonna need to experiment with soil.

You have a natural way with words. I can envision reading your cannabis ad in United Hemispheres Inflight Magazine five years from now. In your future marketing, don't forget the love of a good cigar. I don't drink but I'd duel with pistols for a Montecristo No. 2.

You remind me of my youth. There was Mexican by the lid, then Columbian, then we all got knocked on our backside by Hawaiian (remember Maui Wowi). It was '77 or '78 and my first serious battle with inflation. Remember when $15/quarter was expensive? That would be Columbian Gold and to be honest, I wouldn't mind something mild like that again.

I'm old and in the way . . .

You remind me of my youth. There was Mexican by the lid, then Columbian, then we all got knocked on our backside by Hawaiian (remember Maui Wowi). It was '77 or '78 and my first serious battle with inflation. Remember when $15/quarter was expensive? That would be Columbian Gold and to be honest, I wouldn't mind something mild like that again.

I'm old and in the way . . .

Supposedly 'Lumbo Gold is back out there...some seed banks have it.

That is exactly why I plant mine in Jiffy Pellets, in 2g pots. I also make sure that any water or nutes are free of Auxins(not 100%) for the first 2-3 weeks. Auxins negativly effect the root tip, the positive getropic part of the plant in high doses. There is a catch 22 here. Most nutrient's have high doses of auxins, which PROMOTES the intake of more water and thereby more nutrients to the part of the plant that exhibits negative geotropism.(the shoot)

That is as much as I understand anyway, correct me if I am wrong!

I think you are wrong. Auxins are the hormones in cloning gel. From the Wikipedia entry for Auxin.

"Auxins are often used to promote initiation of adventitious roots and are the active ingredient of the commercial preparations used in horticulture to root stem cuttings."

Auxin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nutrients will not have them as they tend to break down rather easily.

More from the Auxin entry in Wiki....

"Root growth and development
Auxin induces new root formation by breaking root apical dominance induced by cytokinins. In horticulture, auxins, especially NAA and IBA, are commonly applied to stimulate root growth when taking cuttings of plants. However, high concentrations of auxin inhibit root elongation and instead enhance adventitious root formation. Removal of the root tip can lead to inhibition of secondary root formation."

Checkmate I think! Thanks Munki!

From Wiki.

A similar mechanism is known to occur in plant stems except that the shoot cells have a different dose response curve with respect to auxin. In shoots, increasing the local concentration of auxin promotes cell expansion; this is the opposite of root cells.
The differential sensitivity to auxin helps explain Darwin's original observation that stems and roots respond in the opposite way to the gravity vector. In both roots and stems auxin accumulates towards the gravity vector on the lower side. In roots, this results in the inhibition of cell expansion on the lower side and the concomitant curvature of the roots towards gravity (positive gravitropism). In stems, the auxin also accumulates on the lower side, however in this tissue it increases cell expansion and results in the shoot curving up (statolithic gravitropism).

What I get from this article is that in high doses Auxins do inhibit root growth.
See original wiki article here!

Well, I now have 17 seeds in dirt.

5 fem Blue Cheese
5 Fem Violator Kush
7 regular Bubba Kush

On the way next week:

A nice assortment of clones!
4 or 5 Blue Dream
OG Kush
Jack Herer
Chemdawg
Blackberry Kush
Super Lemon Haze

Maybe a few others. I should have 30-50 plants veggin in a 2 week time frame.

My personal preference would be to grow Blue Dream and SLH and JH only. But the sick folks really like those heavy Indicas, so I'll grow them with love and attention.

We're having a heatwave right now, and I'm having some trouble with temps with all 4 lights on. We're getting close to 90 with the Co2 running. Not good!

So, I've got a really nice Swamp Cooler and I'll probably dim the lights to 400 or 600 watts till we get back to normal temps.

All systems are working without a hitch.

I feel you on the heat issue Doc. I am having a bout of heat issues as well. I think that I got the problem solved.

Glad to hear that everything is going of without a hitch.

That Blue Cheese is one of my favorites.

High Doc,

Kudos to you and your partner on the the new gro home... looks like both of you and your girls will be very comfortable :popcorn:

You may just be the guy who bags the Margaux of pot :cheer:

:peace:

Well, I now have 17 seeds in dirt.

5 fem Blue Cheese
5 Fem Violator Kush
7 regular Bubba Kush

On the way next week:

A nice assortment of clones!
4 or 5 Blue Dream
OG Kush
Jack Herer
Chemdawg
Blackberry Kush
Super Lemon Haze

Maybe a few others. I should have 30-50 plants veggin in a 2 week time frame.

My personal preference would be to grow Blue Dream and SLH and JH only. But the sick folks really like those heavy Indicas, so I'll grow them with love and attention.

We're having a heatwave right now, and I'm having some trouble with temps with all 4 lights on. We're getting close to 90 with the Co2 running. Not good!

So, I've got a really nice Swamp Cooler and I'll probably dim the lights to 400 or 600 watts till we get back to normal temps.

All systems are working without a hitch.

you have some very nice genetics their.. kinda want to see how that Blue cheese works out? i can get some of those clones but know nothing about that strain and its yield.. Blue dream is some killer smoke though, and the jack herer is always one of a kind, that smell is unlike any other. shit actually ive grown most of those.lol

by the way nice setup very clean and pro status.. should be some killer planting growing from that setup.

thanks!

Tomorrow, I'll get some clones. Should have some seeds popping up any day now.....then some more clones later in the week. Once they go to 12/12 I'll start popping seeds and the whole room will be 12/12 from here on out.

I've decided to convert the nearby bathroom to a mini-veg room, where I can mature clones if need be. I'm toying with the idea of making clones out the the pruning I do from the lower branches. We shalll see.

It's just so much easier growing from seed.

I'm struggling with high temps right now, we've got serious heatwave and I'm topping out at about 88 with the Co2 on.

I may have to hook up AC....but I'd rather not because it's going to cool down soon. Whatever I have to do, I'll do it to ensure a proper environment.

Nice Setup Doc.

I'm in.:)

:welcome:

I won't be taking a lot of pics on this grow, but I'll get some tomorow or the next day. Here's an update:

1.)3 Blue Cheese and 3 VK popped so far. Waiting on Bubba Kush.
2.)6 Jack Herer clones vegging under 1000 watts
3.)6 OG Kush " "
4.)2 Alaskan ThunderFuck
5.) 1 Hash Plant

All are potted in FFOF with my pre-plant and micronute package.
Nutes are OC+
Water is from the tap.

I'll have 4-6 blue dream clones coming later this week, as well as some BlackBerry Kush, Superlemon Haze and maybe some Green Crack. I've got lots of room!

My high temp problem is solved...installed AC yesterday. All temps are well within spec now.....canopy temps 82-84 w/ 3 1K HPS and Co2 at 1200ppm.
Humidity between 45-50. The clones spent yesterday under 400 watts, with the lights about 3 feet away, today they're under 1000 watts with the lights about 3 feet up.

The clones are a bit battered......I'm used to healthy seed plants, not these raggedly clones! Having said that, they have nice roots and should kick into gear pretty fast.

whats your micronute package? i could use something like this. soon i will be firing up my 1000w hps doing another room once i get an A/C unit installed, but i wanted to do a run with the Red DM but those micronute package would help it allot since its missing stuff.

are you going to pump up ur Co2 ppm to 1500 once flowering?

are you worried about ur plants getting burn since the FFOF already has food in it then mixed with the OC+? i know OC+ by itself wont burn ur plants but i am not sure that will count with other food mixed with it?

Back
Top Bottom