Rastas' First Grow

Thoughts on changing the LED over to a T5 for this part of the cycle?

I've been watching some videos by The Grow Boss and he discusses the intensity of the LED causing the plants growth to stunt in the early stages. I wouldn't know when the right time would be to change it back to LED.

Is this light overkill? Thoughts?

My journal has been with TWO 450w LEDs running 24/7. LEDs are known for sure as being way better for veg than flower. I think mine have turned out well so far. I feel like I can hardly get mine to stop growing!

Okay, awesome. I need to stop reading so much and just let these plants grow. I'm setting up a CO2 enhancer today. Can't help myself. Home made - we'll see how we go!

Your plants should be fine under this light as long as you don't get them to close. But you don't want the light to far away at the same time. I believe with led's you want to be in the 24"-36" range depending on how intense the lights are in the panel. I have no hands on experience with led panels but a plant will grow under almost any type you give it. Which is better? Well that's sort of everyone's own opinions at times as well as growing conditions. I believe if you can give a plant the full light spectrum from seed to harvest that would be best, and now with some panels you're able to switch it up some with more blues for veg and more reds for flower with the flip of a switch.

Your plants should be fine under this light as long as you don't get them to close. But you don't want the light to far away at the same time. I believe with led's you want to be in the 24"-36" range depending on how intense the lights are in the panel. I have no hands on experience with led panels but a plant will grow under almost any type you give it. Which is better? Well that's sort of everyone's own opinions at times as well as growing conditions. I believe if you can give a plant the full light spectrum from seed to harvest that would be best, and now with some panels you're able to switch it up some with more blues for veg and more reds for flower with the flip of a switch.

Mine we're 36" to start and I lowered them a little each day and just made sure the plants didn't react poorly. I agree with all of this..

Mine we're 36" to start and I lowered them a little each day and just made sure the plants didn't react poorly. I agree with all of this..

Good call and good idea! Always best to introduce slowly :)

I found my plants don't seem to like the LED much in the first couple of weeks of growth. I use a bunch of CFL's to start and then change to LED a few weeks before flipping to 12/12 to give the plants time to get used to the change

I ended up putting my plants under a t5 instead of LED for the first 2 weeks or so and they love it. They are all just reaching for the light a lot more now.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thanks again guys! I've still got the LED up, but obviously I do have the T5 if I want it. I'll stick with the LED and monitor (not too closely) and then maybe for the next run I will start with the T5. I'll experiment when I have some grow time under my belt.

This is the Super Skunk growing ever so slowly. The others are even less impressive.

Patience is a virtue, right?

420-magazine-mobile1321236917.jpg

On another note, I've officially been drug-free for about 3 weeks now. I never thought I would come off.

Hey rastas, that baby is looking healthy! I know sometimes it can be tough waiting and watching the small babies trying to grow, I had the same troubles when I was waiting for my auto's to take off in the perlite mix, they were very small for the first couple of weeks. Those babies will take off real soon for ya I bet. Just be sure to not drench your cubes to much so that the roots can still get some air flow and you should be fine! Keep up the good work my friend!

Congrats on being drug free for last couple weeks as well! I am guessing you mean no more pills to swallow and more green to take in?

The first couple weeks seem painfully slow going.. then before you know it they take off like rockets.. I kept my 2 mars 300's at about 20-24 inches above my seedlings from the start and they did just fine at that height.. I pretty much have kept them around that height through out the whole grow.. looking good so far keep it up!!

Hey rastas, that baby is looking healthy! I know sometimes it can be tough waiting and watching the small babies trying to grow, I had the same troubles when I was waiting for my auto's to take off in the perlite mix, they were very small for the first couple of weeks. Those babies will take off real soon for ya I bet. Just be sure to not drench your cubes to much so that the roots can still get some air flow and you should be fine! Keep up the good work my friend!

Congrats on being drug free for last couple weeks as well! I am guessing you mean no more pills to swallow and more green to take in?

It certainly does! I can't wait to have my own continuous supply. The bud I get now is nice, but the growers are careless and don't pull the males (because it's seen as a waste?) so you'll regularly get seeds in the mix.

I've taken note on everything I've been told. Those blocks are light, just damp. They have roots coming out the bottom. That little terracotta pot with coco is me playing around with a different way to germinate an OG Kush seed. Only because I am clueless, so I watch the YouTube videos and try things I think I'm capable of. Whether I am or not, I guess I'll find out.

There's only one way to really learn things right, I find that is to watch and learn and then try applying the knowledge yourself and doing experiments. Research is always key as well. Whenever you want to try something new be sure to read up about it or start asking some questions to people who may know or have hands on experience. I was the same way, always nice to keep on learning. :)

I see what you mean about the blocks looking soaked. That's because I'd sprayed the top with a rooting nutrients to keep them damp. Probably not necessary? It seems so many say spray them, others say don't.

It never hurts to give them a small dose of rooting nutrients whether you mix it into your feeds or spray it on the blocks. Foliar spraying is sort of a personal preference thing, some do it some don't. The main thing with foliar feeding is that the plant will take in what you are feeding it quicker through the leaves than it will through the roots, some people will use this method to quickly try and fix a deficiency.
Just keep doing what you're doing and I'm sure they will turn out fine :) You will learn a ton of things from your first grow!

Hey guys! I'm way behind on catching up with your journals but I'll be doing some reading tonight. Small update, the NL is a dud (well, my methods more likely) it just went black and did nothing. The OG Kush I germinated shriveled up in the coco. I let it dry out I think trying to not make the first-timer's mistake of watering too much OOPS! So! I wanted to play with the jiffy pellets and I'm attempting to germinate a Jack Herer with another NL. They're in the propagation kit now and inside.

420-magazine-mobile445033734.jpg

Now, the Super Skunk and White Widow are coming along nicely. I added a heater because it was way too cold in there which really stunted their growth from what I've learned. From what I gathered oil heaters are the safest and most effective at maintaining even warm temperatures.

Should I put them in pots with coco now? The roots are coming out the bottom. I elevated them on the pot bases.

420-magazine-mobile127997764.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1366094526.jpg

420-magazine-mobile962773846.jpg

With the climate control, I can keep the room at a perfect 75F.

So yes, coco now? I've read up how to transplant but if anyone has any tips of mistakes in making or will make putting them in their new home please speak up :)

They're really taking off now.

Thanks guys!

Right on Rasta, looking good over here, live and learn right, it happens to us all on first grows :) I would put them 2 into the coco now, pretty much always put them in when you see roots coming out the bottom of the plug. Nothing to it, next to no stress, just dig a little hole a little deeper than the plug is tall and bury it in there. You can bury the stem right up to the cotyledon leaves (first round set) and that part of the stem will start to grow roots as well eventually because it will always be in darkness.

Right on Rasta, looking good over here, live and learn right, it happens to us all on first grows :) I would put them 2 into the coco now, pretty much always put them in when you see roots coming out the bottom of the plug. Nothing to it, next to no stress, just dig a little hole a little deeper than the plug is tall and bury it in there. You can bury the stem right up to the cotyledon leaves (first round set) and that part of the stem will start to grow roots as well eventually because it will always be in darkness.

Thanks Dick! Ok, I will put them in the coco today (day off work - YES!) I had no idea that part of the stem grew roots. Thanks for the quick lesson in horticulture :) I'll put up some pics of them once they've settled in and I will hopefully be able to put these new kids in pots soon too. Wish me luck!

Yes yes, good luck my friend! I'm sure you will do just fine. The plugs really make for easy planting.

I never knew that the stem worked that way myself either until coming here to 420 Mag, one of the many great things I've learned here.
Something about the stem being in total darkness and being moist. I had sort of noticed it before just from looking at the plants but didn't know that was how it worked. Something good to take a quick read on :)

No exciting updates. Things are moving SLOWLY!

It's been a good three and a bit weeks, but they're still babies. I'm learning a heap more as I plod along and already deciding how I would do things differently and improve even this early on.

They're actually grown a lot, it just seems so slow when you take a peek every day.

420-magazine-mobile1616524001.jpg

420-magazine-mobile264377952.jpg

I made the mistake of putting them in too big a pot, but I have a couple of autos I'm going to run along side these considering the light pattern isn't an issue and they're also quick seed to harvest (probably not for this amateur, but hey).

Back
Top Bottom