Seedsman Purple Ghost Candy Comparison Grow Hempy Style By Bluter

I've done something similar, but with coco/perlite and more like a flood/drain ie no res
Now you've got me thinking about how I might be able to incorporate some of this stuff into my grows
:reading420magazine:

folk have tried a mix of different media in the style. the easiest is always straight perlite.

it's super cheap to set up - dollar store buckets and perlite. for the 2L to 5L drill a 1/4 inch hole in the bucket 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches from bottom and you're set. on solos and i generally just eyeball about an inch from the bottom as a starter pot.

i've also used shampoo bottles with the tops cut at about 700 - 750 ml. put the hole about 2 inches or just under.

folk have tried a mix of different media in the style. the easiest is always straight perlite.

it's super cheap to set up - dollar store buckets and perlite. for the 2L to 5L drill a 1/4 inch hole in the bucket 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches from bottom and you're set. on solos and i generally just eyeball about an inch from the bottom as a starter pot.

i've also used shampoo bottles with the tops cut at about 700 - 750 ml. put the hole about inches or just under.
OK, I'll start with a dumb question - what prevents the upper roots from completely drying out?

OK, I'll start with a dumb question - what prevents the upper roots from completely drying out?

perlite wicks, and it's top fed. otherwise, it runs somewhere between a coco or sips.

stick around. it'll be fun. it's a fantastic style for condo / apt situations, or other small indoor. couple yrs ago i taught a 2-day seniors class on it lol. :laughtwo:
the advantages are a smaller real estate footprint, cleaner / lighter materials to handle, and low entry cost to begin.

edit : feel free to ask anything as it grows. it's a very simple approach.

went to give them a quick check and the rest look like they are gonna pop out today before lights out.

yay everyone is here ...

full

always amazed at how those little things scramble for a foothold and cling to a living in hempy.

have some miniscule but happy purple ghost candy hempy seedlings today. a little under 24hrs since they emerged.

full

everyone is already standing. a couple are working on starting the first trues.

Hi bluter, I'm happy to see you in this comparative! Yours are having a nice start!

hempy starts the way i do it are always ... uuhh ... a thrill lol. :rolleyes:

are you taking any PGC clones ? i haven't done a clone run for a while.
Yes, my PGC will be a SoG in 2L pots because I don't have a lot of height to play with, and I want the best pot size/bud ratio. Hoping to take my cuts in the next week or so then as soon as they're rooted I'll pot up and flip them immediately

hi @Preston9mm :ciao:

Yes, my PGC will be a SoG in 2L pots because I don't have a lot of height to play with, and I want the best pot size/bud ratio. Hoping to take my cuts in the next week or so then as soon as they're rooted I'll pot up and flip them immediately

the original hempy was 2L pop bottles is great for an sog. are you running coco and cloth pots ?

the original hempy was 2L pop bottles is great for an sog. are you running coco and cloth pots ?
Mother plant is in a 5L plastic pot of coco but I might use 10L cloth pot if I decide to flower her later
2L plastic pots for the clones

Mother plant is in a 5L plastic pot of coco but I might use 10L cloth pot if I decide to flower her later
2L plastic pots for the clones

these were some 2L hempys

full

full

they were grown in these pots

full

they can almost produce about the same as my 5L pots. my 5L pots produce the same as a 20L soil grow when managed properly.

Do they hold their own weight in perlite?
Surprised it hasn't just fallen over - I'm warming to the idea though
It does sound ideal for my clones; presumably I root the clones directly in the 2L pot and hand water for a few days?

they'll tip if you are not careful. there is almost zero weight on the bottom when they are dry. i normally train them to help keep it even from side to side.

on the 5L i've been using cages in a simple ubt style growing out 3 nodes. cages make for a super simple and easy training method.

edit : if you run clones sog style in 2L keep to just the main branch and flip early. you'll get one massive central cola.

day 3 above ground

full

increased light level from 25% to 45%. they kinda look like they wanted to get a bit leggy. also started ramping up the nutes. started them on 1/4 seedling strength and i've moved up to 1/2 strength. they get a little nutes added in using a spray bottle aimed to the sides of the cups.

they are far too tiny to hit a dry cycle yet and the media is far too loose for an actual feeding. i'll keep with the spray bottle for a wk or so until they get the second set of trues coming in. by that point i should be at full seedling strength and will start actual feeding about every 3 days. they won't hit a dry cycle, but the interval will keep ph in check while they develop.

@bluter , I've got a pH meter question for you.

I dug out my meter that I haven't used in months (going on years). The display was fading so I changed the batteries, and figured it needed recalibration after doing so, so I mixed up the 6.86 solution and tried the meter. The display showed dozens of different readings for a few seconds before settling on 00.00. I turned it off and on and got the same result.

The directions said if it hadn't been used for a while the probe can dry out and the fix for that is leaving it in distilled water for a few hours.

Are my results way out of bounds or is this normal for an out of service device, and will it come around after soaking?

Are my results way out of bounds or is this normal for an out of service device, and will it come around after soaking?

i always use a kcl storage solution. even then if it dries out i use that to re hydrate the bulb. then i'll check it in RO water, i don't use distilled as it can cause other trouble. i also have calibration fluids, if i suspect a problem i use them to recalibrate the meter.

Back
Top Bottom