Signatures Reduced To 10 Lines

Teddy Edwards

420 Support
420 Staff
We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate members linking in their signatures to on-site journals, contests, new member links and tutorials. However many members have complained that long signatures make navigating the forums difficult on mobile devices, therefore we are limiting signatures to a maximum of 10 lines.

We are currently working through all member and sponsor signatures to reduce them to 10 lines, so please don't be offended if you see yours has been edited. To be specific, 10 lines includes text, links, emojis and/or line spaces.

If you wish to prioritize your own links, please feel free to re-edit your own signature.

Thank you for your understanding and support, we are truly grateful.

Hi Teddy, I wouldn't want your job. Difficult decisions to make. You say people are complaining because it's hard to navigate on a phone because of sigs. You're a lot nicer than myself as I would have told them a phone is for making phone calls & a computer is for searching the web. So now I'm sure you'll get complaints about the Sig removal since people put in all the work so they could be helpful to others. Seems no matter which way you go you will get complaints. It doesn't bother me either way as I only put links to my own stuff anyway. I have to say some links are kind of useless since you can search it in the search box anyway. But I'm sure you'll still get complaints.
Kudo's to you for dealing with all the BS you must have to go through at times. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with it. Sounds like you'll be spending a whole lot of time cleaning up sigs as there are a lot of members. If it were me I'd give everyone a notice to clean it up themselves if there are certain sigs they would like to keep. Otherwise it will be done for them & they may lose some sigs they want to keep. That would lighten your load & sort of keep people happy. Never the less, Thanks for doing the dirty work !!!

If it were me I'd give everyone a notice to clean it up themselves if there are certain sigs they would like to keep.
Thank you, BB.
Members are of course more than welcome to edit their own signatures. :thumb:

Hi Teddy, I wouldn't want your job. Difficult decisions to make. You say people are complaining because it's hard to navigate on a phone because of sigs. You're a lot nicer than myself as I would have told them a phone is for making phone calls & a computer is for searching the web. So now I'm sure you'll get complaints about the Sig removal since people put in all the work so they could be helpful to others. Seems no matter which way you go you will get complaints. It doesn't bother me either way as I only put links to my own stuff anyway. I have to say some links are kind of useless since you can search it in the search box anyway. But I'm sure you'll still get complaints.
Kudo's to you for dealing with all the BS you must have to go through at times. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with it. Sounds like you'll be spending a whole lot of time cleaning up sigs as there are a lot of members. If it were me I'd give everyone a notice to clean it up themselves if there are certain sigs they would like to keep. Otherwise it will be done for them & they may lose some sigs they want to keep. That would lighten your load & sort of keep people happy. Never the less, Thanks for doing the dirty work !!!

Meh, tons of us use our phones for the site. My phone is faster than my crummy DSL connection (only thing available besides satellite), especially with all the pictures on here. We lost a lot of folks because they couldn't comprehend that a mobile friendly website was better for all of us than an app was. Change can be difficult for some.

Until recently my wife took our laptop to work everyday so I didn't have a computer to use even if I wanted to. Not to mention at that point I would be transferring my pictures from my phone to my computer to the site over the slow DSL. Or I can use my phone and upload it with a 4g connection. Different strokes for different folks.

No one used the signature links anyways. Everyone had the helpful information thread and none of the new people ever read it. :rofl:

I like having signatures so I can usually easily see what an individual of interest has growing. But I think a character cap will help. Thanks Teddy.

Hi Teddy - a couple of questions about this. ANd i have no problem w the policy, just to be clear, I think it’s a tops idea :)

I noticed my sig was edited for me very early on (The lines past the tenth were deleted) and am glad the important stuff was already exactly 10 lines :)

When that happened I assumed it was becasue there was probablay a new system setting had automatically just cut the extra lines out

I am noticing that many high profile members still have extraordinary long signatures. Soem indeed with 10lines of tetx and and a space line in between them. Seems it should be the same across the board for every member, yes? Especially if it is about the screen space that big signs take up.

Even on my desktop computer, today I was riding a thread, reading one post that was a single line of text and the rest of the screen was all signature (above and below). I’m not complaining about that, juts pointing out that phone or desktop doesn’t make that much difference.

this new restriction to 10 lines seems to be about reducing huge and ostentatious signs that take over the page ;) so it would be good it were doing that to everyone’s sig somewhat equally.

:Namaste:

Hi Teddy - a couple of questions about this. ANd i have no problem w the policy, just to be clear, I think it’s a tops idea :)

I noticed my sig was edited for me very early on (The lines past the tenth were deleted) and am glad the important stuff was already exactly 10 lines :)

When that happened I assumed it was becasue there was probablay a new system setting had automatically just cut the extra lines out

I am noticing that many high profile members still have extraordinary long signatures. Soem indeed with 10lines of tetx and and a space line in between them. Seems it should be the same across the board for every member, yes? Especially if it is about the screen space that big signs take up.

Even on my desktop computer, today I was riding a thread, reading one post that was a single line of text and the rest of the screen was all signature (above and below). I’m not complaining about that, juts pointing out that phone or desktop doesn’t make that much difference.

this new restriction to 10 lines seems to be about reducing huge and ostentatious signs that take over the page ;) so it would be good it were doing that to everyone’s sig somewhat equally.

:Namaste:

Report ones that you find in your travels and he will get to them when he can and/or let them know so they can pick what they want to delete instead of it being done for them. The site won't allow you to make one bigger than that now, but no way for it to trim ones on it's own that were longer with previous settings, so a manual process that has to be done by those Staff that have that ability to edit folks Profiles (Admins basically).

Ok :thanks: I will then.

Can it also be setup to limit the font sizes? ;) :hmmmm:

Limit them to sizes large enough for everyone to read, you mean?

Hey @Teddy Edwards , did the developer ever implement the "only display a member's .SIG once per thread" option? I don't mind skipping over someone's lengthy .SIG once in a thread (and might actually pause to be informed, entertained, or both) if I'm in a hurry. But if I notice that the member has made many posts in the thread, even a short .SIG can become slightly annoying.

Plus, I don't always remember to turn mine off on subsequent posts in the same thread, lol. Such an option would make that operation an automatic one.

did the developer ever implement the "only display a member's .SIG once per thread" option?
No.
Can it also be setup to limit the font sizes?
We discussed this. We don't want to put in too many restrictions. However, any ridiculously sized signatures will be edited.

Back
Top Bottom